World Adventures: Virtual Virtual Tourism

By Jim Rossignol on November 13th, 2009 at 10:42 am.

The World Adventures expansion pack for The Sims 3 is released on November 17th, and it’s looking like a fairly ambitious idea: holidays for your Sims, complete with multiple locations, places to explore (Egypt, China, and France), and things to bring home such as an… ancient Egyptian mummy? It’s going to be interesting to see where EA go with these expansion packs from here, frankly, because the new game is ripe for expansion both inwards and outwards. I’d quite like to see the career side of things developed, as some of the stuff your characters do at work (which is largely hidden from view) sounds a good deal more interesting than what they get up to in the rest of the game. Trailer ‘neathward.

, , .

1. Tei says:

Imagine if you awake in a different dimension, where the Sims serie was a failure, and EA is making a version after another of Dungeon Keeper:

“Dungeon Keeper: France.
    Torture francais, trown then on the borehole. “

• skizelo says:

Hmmm. From what I remember about Dungeon Keeper, you’d be better off heading for Germany.

That was a reference to the Dark Mistress and my notion that Germany is the home of wierd sex-perverts, not a Germany=evil reference. A different kind or racism.

• Tei says:

Humm…. Castle of Wolfstein 3D: The RTS.

2. Uglycat says:

I’d like to see a Ghost Master mashup with the Sims.

3. chaves says:

For a moment that first screenshot made me hope it was a post about Ghost Master, maybe a sequel or a remake :/

Oh well, go Sims3 go, I guess.

4. Larington says:

• skizelo says:

Even the EA marketing department couldn’t put Marlyn Manson over the Sims.
      But maybe they should try.

5. Ybfelix says:

For a millions copies franchise, the Sims feels quiet, too quiet on the news side.

• Ryx says:

this just in: no dedicated servers for The Sims 3: Makin’ Magic

• sinister agent says:

Well, they’ve got to give the fans time to create and bugfix mods that they can bundle together and sell as expansions, right?

6. Gap Gen says:

What happened to all the Sims expansion cynicism? Or is this a genuinely interesting thing, rather than Sims: The £30 accessories pack?

• wm says:

Yes, it is genuinely interesting.

That said, anyone who complains about past avalanches of Sims expansions, don’t get what the Sims is about. Apart from making pixel copies of yourself and your girlfriend, it’s about watching what the Sims get up to and how funny they look when you have them try new things. So so you *need* a continuous stream of ex-packs. Otherwise you’d get bored pretty quickly.

7. TotalBiscuit says:

Interesting that it’s taken them this long to bring out an expansion, plus it seems to be pretty heavy on the content front. Perhaps another indication of EA’s change of direction?

8. JimmyJames says:

I got a bit tired of the barrage of expansion packs for The Sims II, but this one does look sort of fun. I think it’s mostly due to the mummy – part of me hopes he might snap one day after being forced to serve 1 goopy carbonara too many…

Might actually buy this!

9. pilouuuu says:

It actually looks more fun than most expansion packs for The Sims 2.

Hopefully it adds enough gameplay elements. I want The Sims 3 to feel more like a proper simulation, something that only was achieved in TS2 Open For Business in which you could run any business you wanted, and less like a doll house simulation.

It also seems that it will start to feel like a big world, something much needed to the franchise, after the quite claustrophobic previous versions.

I think they are on the right track here to make this version the best ever, hopefully next expansions will be even more interesting.

10. Lack_26 says:

Darn, I want to buy this.

I actually want one with office life, preferably a slap-stick version of a cubical farm, but that’s because I feel that it should have been in vanilla Sims 3.

11. Frye says:

I was quite disappointed with the original Sims 3, because it felt too empty. Saving for and buying new stuff is a big part of the game but I think i bought everything in the game the first day of play. I think i wouldn’t have lost interest so quickly if they had put more content in the original. They obviously set it up to sell expansion packs and in doing so there was not enough TV’s / stereos etc to make even two distinct households.

12. JoeX111 says:

When I first saw the screen shot and title, I thought my dream had come true: An MMO all about exploring old temples Indiana Jones style, going on far-flung adventures across the globe as a two-fisted action hero!

But, yay, go Sims I guess.

13. westyfield says:

A Sims 3 expansion? And so it begins…

14. Rod Humble says:

“I love how tame that advert feels, so many lately have been Big Guns, Big explosions and even bigger cleavage (Or, well, whatever)…”

Thank you for noticing, thats deliberate. Our aim is to strike a different chord and try to succeed while being classy. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn’t, but it feels good either way.

15. Erisia says:

That’s great. If you are Rod Humble, can you now explain what you were aiming for by including truly dreadful path-finding in Sims3? I mean, it’s so terrible that the little blighters have a group fit whenever a cake is being blown out and hang around forever tapping their foot whenever someone even so much as looks in the direction they are walking.

• Rod Humble says:

The aim was to make good pathfinding, in an open world where the user can change anything on the fly and each Sim has a full on AI running decding on what they want to do next.

Thats a pretty tough problem compared with a pre baked world or level based game.

Its not perfect by any means and of course it can always be better , but when you consider what it is doing its pretty amazing imho.

• Pilou says:

Wow, if you’re really Rod Humble, I must say that I noticed that the path finding is much better than in TS2. I also expect TS3 to turn more into a proper simulation like Open For Business did. Something like a more intimate, closer Sim City 4 life simulator and less like a doll house simulator.

I hope next Expansion Packs focus more on gameplay, interactions and AI enhancements and less on boring objects like different tables and couches like in The Sims 2, but World Adventures looks like a nice way to start adding to the base game. :-)

• rod humble says:

Thanks Pilou:

It was quite the heated internal discussion what the first pack would be. Eventually the team decided to shake things up with the first pack and break away from the town. Other packs will add to the core town gameplay and simulator more.

• pilouuuu says:

Cool! Thanks! I can’t wait for a little more “complexity”. :-D I’m sure WA will be amazing fun anyway.

16. Max says:

I bought that damn game and haven’t played it in months. This expansion doesn’t look like it’s going to rope me back into playing.

Why are all the Sims expansions just extra shit for your Sims to do every now and then? They’re annoying because they usually are rare occasions that require a lot of effort to experience. Going on vacation in the previous Sims was always a huge stressful hassle because of the high cost to your household and the constantly ticking timer for when you have to go home. It wasn’t particularly fun because you were always trying to cram in as much as possible in the allotted time.

I would much prefer an expansion that fleshes out the overall game experience with new features for your Sims to use every day. That would make the overall experience more fun rather than just giving you extraneous things to do when you get bored.

17. panik says:

ahhh look at the boys playing dollies “oooo my dolly is in love”

• Al Ewing says:

Why can’t they be REAL MEN and play toy soldiers instead?

18. Paradukes says:

Uhhh huh… Wow. Judging by the narration in that trailer, Will Wright has ONE HELL of a God complex :S

19. Al Ewing says:

Probably going to skip this one – I’d rather see more depth added than breadth.

20. akeripper says:

the travel part is a bit meh but the basment part is ftw