Blood For The Blood Expandalone

By Alec Meer on November 14th, 2009 at 2:21 pm.

A gory torrent of footage and commentary on the upcoming Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising expansion pack awaits below. Seems as though this one’s building upon the admittedly limited scope of DOW2 in a whole bunch of ways, not least in terms of environments. There’s even a little Space Hulkiness in there…

Yeah, I’m rather looking forward to this one. You can’t beat a good bit of Chaos, either.

(Thanks, Seniath).

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

I have to admit I didn’t really care that much when this was initially announced some months back, but after watching that and reading a small interview GameReplays did with Relic I’m sufficiently excited for this.

In a piece of related news, Johnny Ebbert the original lead designer for DoW2 resigned back in August and now works at Blizzard, maybe this bodes well if the new lead designer trys to take DoW2 into a new direction. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to try.

• Warskull says:

I would say that sounds like it bodes badly for DoW 2′s expansion. DoW 1 failed more on technical merits than anything else. The games mechanics were solid, they just had a bunch of game breaking bugs that made the multiplayer game unplayable and drove off a big chunk of their player base. A great example is the pop-cap bug where units would permanently eat up population cap in multiplayer, this took them over 2 months to fix.

So now the expansion will probably have the same horrible bugs popping up, but weaker design.

2. Woges says:

I know it’s the same old but I really wanted to see Space Hulks in this one.

3. Him says:

I for one, am pleased to see the lascannon upgrade on the Predator – wonder if that’ll make it into MP?

4. Heliocentric says:

Khorne is the “toddler in the supermarket who has been told no” of the chaos gods, I don’t know why he’s so popular… Apart from jugganauts, which are totally pimp.

A big dog thing which can headbutt a tank open.

• DMJ says:

It is a game about war. Who do you think would be the first one to spring to mind?

“Choking on your own putrid lungs” Nurgle? “I have seventeen nipples and I love every single one of them” Slaanesh? “Actually 1+1=yellow and I can prove it” Tzeentch, or “I’m going to beat you with your own spine” Khorne?

• Davie says:

You have a point. And that is the best description of the Chaos Gods I’ve ever heard.

5. Morti says:

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooh. Nice.

Seeing I loved DOW2 , I’m pretty exited about this one.

6. Gabanski83 says:

Space Hulks, yay.

Introduced the anniversary edition to the girlfriend recently, she seems to enjoy it. Anything with Space Hulks in is fine by me.

I just hope they make the daemons look absolutely monstrous and gigantic in this game. It was always slightly disappointing summoning a Bloodletter in DoW1, and not having something 20 storeys tall appear.

7. TCM says:

Lots of interesting stuff there…I should probably finish DoW2′s campaign at some point.

8. DK says:

The scene in which the Space Hulk spills out of the warp like a pitch black ink blot is incredible even in a short snippet.

9. l1ddl3monkey says:

Space Hulk= SOLD!

10. TotalBiscuit says:

That looks great. I enjoyed the single-player aspect of DoW2 more than any RTS since World in Conflict. Definite Day 1 for me.

11. Andrew Dunn says:

Definitely getting this. I got my money’s worth from Dawn of War 2 and this looks excellent.

12. Spoon says:

I know they did it to facilitate better playability for an RTS-with-squads setting, but I still wish the space hulks were more claustrophobic.

13. DK says:

They might still do the Space Hulk gametype they originally planned instead of Last Stand. They even ported the direct-fire control from CoH to do it.

14. SwiftRanger says:

Even if you don’t buy CR you’ll still get some of its good bits if you got DoW II: new units for existing races in mp, vehicle wrecks and a move/ranged stance. All probably mean Relic will try to keep the community together, just one version to balance hopefully.

15. Psychopomp says:

Now, can we get a game mode that doesn’t allow parties? The pub stomping has gotten utterly ridiculous.

16. Longrat says:

FUCK YEAH CHAOS

17. Sajmn says:

I’m finding the guys voice interestingly funny. He sounds as if he was describing the game to his friends but didn’t want to sound like a geek.

• invisiblejesus says:

I thought he sounded like he thought the game was stupid, frankly. I shut it off partway through his explanation of what Chaos because I was already tired of being patronized.

18. MySpleen! says:

@Sajmn

Yeah it’s like they told him to ham it up and sound evil when finishing his sentences but he kind of half-heartedly wanted to do it knowing how cheesy it sounds. So I guess Imperial Guards are in the next expansion…wouldn’t want all the content to go to waste when you can milk it later.

19. Vinraith says:

Insert my obligatory “call me when they release an expansion with a metamap campaign” post here.

• Psychopomp says:

Dawn of War 2 *was* a metamap campaign…

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I thought he was being ironic.

• Vinraith says:

@Psychopomp

Interesting, didn’t know that. Let me rephrase then: call me when there’s a skirmish battle based metamap campaign, instead of some kind of quasi-action RPG blandness.

• Davie says:

That seems to be much of what people didn’t like about Soulstorm, so I’d be surprised if Relic tried it again.

20. Centy says:

Yeah this is typical Relic. I don’t understand why people consistently buy expandalones especially at full price I mean CoH for example I still havent got round to getting that the extra modes and campaigns mean nothing to me it’s all about the multiplayer and I’m sorry but 7 tanks are not worth 30 quid.

This seems to be more of that we get a little bit more campaign and another 1 side for multi and they want 30 notes for it well meh I guess I’ll be playing this at about this time next year after (like the main game) it’s down to less than a third of its normal price.

21. Lagmint says:

I really like the idea of that corruption system. I think the problem will be convincing people to ever NOT get corrupt, haha.

22. EyeMessiah says:

The exterior in-space shots of the Space Hulk are awesome.

23. phanteh says:

Is there an actual Chaos campaign? Or do you start out as normal marines and become corrupt?

• subedii says:

The later. You’re carrying your squad forward from the original game. You don’t keep all their equipment since ***SPOILER***

The Strike Cruiser was destroyed at the end of the first game

*** END SPOILER

but I’m guessing you should be keeping the stuff that you took with you on the last mission.

The way it works is that over time your squads can become more and more corrupted depending on the choices you make, gaining new powers in the process. The end of the game is different depending on that, they haven’t elucidated on how, just that there’s at least two different endings.

24. Zindaras says:

So, this trailer was leaving me “sort of more impressed than I thought I’d be but still not excited at all” until the last 3 seconds where it does that bubbling laugh and shows what can only be the tumescent guts of a Nurgle unit. You know that Chaos has to have three hero units, and only one of the needs to be Khornate, dammit! At least the Chaos Dreadnoughts can have Havoc launchers, also THEY EXIST AT ALL. I just hope you can get Parasitic Possession for them, eheheheh…

25. Morph says:

I could watch the hulk coming out of the warp all day. I’m looking forward to this.

26. Mashakosha says:

This had better come in a steelbook case like the main game. I want my games to hide in METAL BOXES.

27. Kenny says:

I see Imperial Guards, I wonder if’ll be added as a playable race

• Vinraith says:

The only new playable race in this expansion is Chaos, that’s already officially been said.

I have to admit, the current race selection is the other reason (beyond the construction of the single player) that I’ve stayed away thus far. I want my IG.

• Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

The glorious Imperial Guard will get it’s day, just not in this expansion, it would kind of steal all the thunder out of Chaos.

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

*Waiting so very patiently.*

28. Davie says:

I’m just happy to see the Guard represented. Wait, were they in the vanilla game? I still don’t own it. Anyway, this expansion certainly gives me some incentive to finally go buy it.

29. Andy says:

The Guard were in the vanilla game but never as controllable units. In fact, they were usually met with some disdain from your fellow Marines.

30. Choca says:

Sold.

31. luphisto says:

WOO SPACEHULK!

spend a ungodly amount of time playing DOW2 deeply looking forward to some new story content.

32. Danarchist says:

I really enjoyed the single player version of this despite everyone telling me I should hate it. I loved getting all my guys set up in there strategic positions then zooming in to watch them work! I played 40k and spent a couple grand on the table top over the years (not counting the hours of painting). The more they appear in video games the more likely someone will recreate the table top experience for me digitally :)
    On another note I would like to toss in my monthly “Someone make a Shadowrun RPG, freaking sega cannot continue to be the best one ever STILL!”