Command & Conquer 4, Mechanics Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on November 16th, 2009 at 8:46 am.

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight will be released on March 16th, which means it might just nip into our gaming consciousness before Starcraft II’s “Spring” release. The fourth game in the series is probably going to have its work cut out to face down the Blizzardian behemoth, and with all the rumours of layoffs at EA, you have to wonder about the developmental fate of this beast. The first proper game trailer explaining in-game action has just surfaced, and I’ve posted it below. It’s looking rather vehicular, with a particular emphasis on stompy romping of robots. The trailer also points a beady-eye at the RPG elements which grace C&C4 for the first time. Like Dawn of War II, it’s taking that levelling-up thing quite seriously.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Batolemaeus says:

I continue to feel underwhelmed every time a new “C&C” comes up.

Where is my Tiberian Sun remake?

2. HexagonalBolts says:

Looks like a poor attempt to incorporate elements from Dawn of War 2 and Supreme Commander…

3. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That looked pretty mediocre. And also what Batolemaeus said, although that could also be the good memories talking.

4. Turin Turambar says:

I was a big C&C in the day… and now i couldn’t care less about this game.

5. MadMatty says:

MMM big stomping robots- love that. Generals whas the last in the series i really bothered playing.
    This looks kindof diifferent with fewer, but cool looking units. Who knows? might be fun.
    Havent tried Red Alert 3.

6. phil says:

Not to nit pick, OK actually to nit pick like a anally retentive chimp, but hasn’t C & C had unit veterancy levels since the second game, which is effective RPG level-upping?

Carra says:

I thought Starcraft II was planned for “the first half of 2010″ and not spring?

In any case facing Starcraft II looks like a terrible marketing idea. Probably better to wait half a year after SC2 is released. Or seeing how it’s a Blizzard game half a year before it’s released.

8. skrat says:

I am pretty hopeful that it will be good. Change could work to the games advantage, and tbh C&C is in need of an overhaul somewhat. This drastic though, with a focus on team play? At least its more interesting than the same old.

9. Gap Gen says:

I guess makers of single player games have realised that WoW and Everquest made all their money because levelling up is so addictive, and want in on that sweet, sweet money.

10. Rinox says:

I enjoyed C&C 3 for what it was, a slightly nostalgic old school RTS. I would have enjoyed C&C 4 to be more of the same only OMGOVERTHETOPAWESOME because it is the final installment in the Kane saga (or is supposed to be anyway). But this…not sure I’m digging this.

But we’ll wait and see how it plays I suppose.

11. Tei says:

The official academic opinion about C&C, is that the chessines of the first videos where a artifact of the technology of the era, where cheap CGI’s where like that. But was intented to take serius. The cheapiness of all strategic of the first-era-cnc was a result of poor programming, not that cnc core gameplay is based on cheap strategy. CNC has devolved into “show me tits” and cheapo strategy. But most academic realtimestrategi-critics comment that the serie could have followed a different direction. I feel is hard to say what C&C is about, after all the years, and different games, some good, some bad, others average, none true for what the academia think CNC was in his core. This make hard to create some expectations, since what strange animal CNC4 will be? we don’t know.. from this video looks like C&C 3.1 …

P7uen says:

I’m not sure “Destroy your enemies” is really a valid marketing point anymore. I am sure games have allowed players to do that for at least a year and a half.

13. Nickosha says:

Wow the walking guy with laser cannons for arms and a laser cannon on his chest made me laugh. This game doesn’t look like it will be much good, though.

14. Don says:

I agree with Rimox (except for his disgraceful heresy regarding “last Kane installment, do not underestimate the sthpectacular sthputtering leader of Nod!). Isn’t the cheeseyness the best part? I’ve been playing this series with my little brother since we had to enter each other’s phone numbers and have our dial up modems call each other. While I’ve played a lot of those other RTS that left CC behind, I’m not sure I’ve had more fun than seeing that first ridiculous tank rush.
    It’s almost more a set of toys than a game. Not quite so successfully self-referential as TF2, but almost sorta close. It seems like there must be someone at EA that takes the CC universe waaay too seriously, and I can’t decide if that is what has carried the game this far, or what is holding it back. But, if they can get that oomph! into the sounds, explosions, music and deployments, I’ll have a hard time avoiding yet another guilty pleasure.

• Rinox says:

*hums Klepacki’s ‘Just Do It’ from C&C 1 in agreement*

Cheesiness is where it’s at. Same with the RA series. I never understood my friends who were turned off by the mind control (Yuri), war dolphins/bears, octopodes and whatnot from RA 2 & 3. If I wanted realism, I’d join the freaking army. :-D

And nice to know that there are other people who actually bothered playing C&C over modem and null modem (imagine that).

• Xercies says:

Hmm Actually it wasn’t I thought the original actually tried to make the story realistic but because of bad speciel effects bad camera and bad FMVs it turned out cheesy. Because under the cheesyness are several pretty good science-fiction ideas and C&C Tiberian saga has always been that more serious then Red Alert 2 onwards(The original Red Alert had the same kind of thing as C&C, trying to be serious but failing a bit)

15. Pod says:

I remember when this would have been called a gameplay trailer. I can’t wait for the word “Mechanics” to die and for “gameplay” to rise from the ashes.

• Redd says:

I’ve a feeling that was a troll meant just for you.

• Jochedge Schedge says:

And I can still remember a time without game trailers! Ah well, it can only be a matter of time until they go back to MS DOS…

16. hoff says:

Oh boy, a new C&C!

I love building huge bases, managing resources and then crushing the enemy…

Eh… Why do I even bothe with sequels anymore. Sequels used to be good, often better than the originals. But it seems they are both running out of ideas and desperately try to sell us boring gameplay simplifications as “innovation”.

17. Springy says:

Is that Jennifer Morrison as the voice of the EVA?

18. Tei says:

Life is good knowing theres a alternate universe where Blizzard “World of Tiberium” is the most popular MMO, and Warcraft 4 will be the last Warcraft ever made.

19. Adam Whitehead says:

I’m not sure about the reasoning for changing the way the gameplay works. DAWN OF WAR II went the action-RPG route because the Space Marines in DoW I didn’t really work as a typical RTS race. Everyone else, sure, but the Space Marines were far too hardcore to operate in the typical ‘churn tons of them out, win the map’ style. DoW II cottoned onto that and the game was constructed around their strengths and it worked well.

However, with C&C base-building and Tiberium-gathering are part of the core concept of the game, and have been there since the original title fifteen years ago. It doesn’t make much sense to keep that gameplay as part of the franchise for six games in the main series and another nine spin-off titles and then suddenly ditch it when you reach the final game in the main series (allegedly), especially as C&C3 actually did a pretty good job of refining that concept and making it quite enjoyable again (at least compared to the tedious RED ALERT 3 and the very slow TIBERIAN SUN).

Who knows, they might make it work really well, but I’d have preferred them to have explore a new gameplay/control paradigm in a new sub-franchise rather than in the core series itself, especially if C&C4 and its inevitable expansion are indeed the final swansong of the Tiberium universe and Kane.

20. bill says:

I’m totally not an RTS gamer… and that video just reminded me why. Imagine if real wars were fought like that.
    Units trundle in neat lines at a slow speed through open ground. Then stand 5 feet from each other shooting until one finally falls down. Then stand all around a building shooting it for 10 minutes until it explodes. Until the annoying AI lady’s voice in everyone’s heads makes them all commit suicide.

Have they ever made any rts games that flow like real battles?

• Tei says:

Company of Heroes flow more like a battle, to me. In RTS parlance, In CoH, if you turtle, you are dying, If you move forward but poorly, you are dying. You must move, and flow with the combat, and prevail. There are some taking cover, like in real wars, but If you “take cover and wait”, you will lost the battle.

• PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, for that kind of thing (mainly cover usage, from what you’re complaining about), try Company of Heroes or Men of War.

21. Gabanski83 says:

It looked very… cartoony, that trailer. As in, for massive stompy units like the GDI Mastodon, and the NOD crawler base, they look amazingly weak and much too nippy.

If you’re going to give me a slow, mobile crawling base to defend/attack with, then make it slow, heavily armoured and carrying tonnes of firepower. Make it feel like a damn base, not a normal unit with a couple additional options. Make it bigger, make it menacing, make it something you really need to feel like you’re defending it for a reason.

Hell, basically, I think I’d prefer it if I could control something the size of the damn GST Methuselah over the battlefield. That thing looks big, slow, powerful and menacing. Lite a Titan off’f BF2142, only more so.

22. kalidanthepalidan says:

Looks “Blah” at best. And I imagine it will die a horrible buggy death since, I believe, they are letting the team go upon release. EA has never been good about patching its RTS games, and if the team is gone, it’ll probably be even worse for this release.

Which is sad. I grew playing the hell out of C&C games. Loved RA2 and I even loved the flawed Generals. But once EA got their grubby hands over everything it just hasn’t been the same. I haven’t tried RA3 yet but I’m hoping that captures some of the magic of the old games.

23. Spoon says:

Wow, the unit design is horrible. What is with all the white cannon barrels? The rest is pretty bad too, but that stuck out as ultra bad.

24. Jim says:

I bought the first C&C game for the Playstation 1 quickly switched to the PC after that since I started to love RTS games. The last decent C&C in my eyes was Read Alert 2. (Generals was good, but it wasn’t C&C).

I hate the new direction they’re taking it, if anything I want base building to be more prominent in future C&C games, like in Tib Sun when you could build gates and concrete floors, I want that customisation!

Watching this just makes me sad.

25. Lagmint says:

I think the best description I can give of that video is ‘underwhelming’. Nothing I saw there is new, unique, or even polished. Everything just looks bland. If there was a game called ‘RTS #337′, this would be it.

It actually made me sad, and I don’t know why – I have no loyalty to the series or anything.

26. We Fly Spitfires says:

Looks quite interesting. Haven’t played a C&C game since Generals so I think I’m in the mood for another one. I wonder if 2010 will be the year of RTS games then what with SC2 coming out as well…

27. Tim says:

There are ramps between two different terrain elevations.

It is 2009.

And there are ramps between two different terrain elevations.

• kalidanthepalidan says:

But…but…..how else are tanks, mechs, little men supposed to get to higher elevations? We need ramps to higher elevations in video games! Every game needs more ramps in my opinion. I would have actually bought MW2 if it had ramps.

• Vinraith says:

There were multiple terrain elevations. Also, there were only ramps on one map, where they fit with the art style.

28. IncredibleBulk92 says:

How can anyone mess up giant stompy robots? EA can that’s who. They should just scrap it and give us more Red Alert

29. destroy.all.monsters says:

I can’t watch this. Everything I’ve seen or read about C&C 4 just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 3 was like eating chalk with the only interesting bits being the videos.

I’d rather that there be a series of movies than another C&C game (unless they brought back Adam Isgreen and co. to do it – which they won’t).

30. I'm OK says:

Wow, there’s so much jaded cynicism in here.

31. narfgiblet says:

i would have to agree. C&C 3 was probably the best sequel we’re ever gonna get. i don’t think im even going to bother with this game because i play C&C for basebuilding and stratagy and this game seems to lack both

32. a person says:

EA’s games aren’t even worth pirating anymore, complete waste of time, and if anyone is stupid enough to pay for it, waste of money aswell. the C&C Series ended when WestWood got shut down by EA, Ra 2 was the last real c&c, everything after is not c&c (zero hour is still good game though, yet its not c&c)

33. rob says:

really p_ssed off. I was aghast when i bought red alert 3. The game had turned into a catoony piece of excrement, with gameplay that was so frigging boring. You have these massive tanks etc that seem to have all the fire power of a pea shooter, i haven’t played it again. Stupidly i thought they wouldn’t change c&c4 like this – yet they have! No harvesters. The weapons seem about as dangerous as a puppy with bad breath. – There is no recoil with the weapons like in c&c3. It also seems like the scrin have just dissappeared like they were never there. The upgrades don’t visually seem to be any more powerful either. I really liked the series of both before this complete crud was farted out by EA. NEVER AGAIN! I DIDN’T BUY EA STUFF BEFORE THEY TOOK OVER WESTWOOD, COS ALL THEY SEEMED TO MAKE WERE SIMS. IT SEEMS THEY TOOK THE SAME APPROACH. $80 BUCKS WASTED. It doesn’t even work as a coaster for drinks, or a frisbee…
    AAAAARRRGGHHHH!

34. bleh says:

C&C4 sucked ballz dropped it when I realized how stupid the AI is, scorpions can practically rape anything in the game talk about unbalanced. The tech heads at EA didn’t even bother looking at the game dynamics let alone play their own regurgitated crap. I spent one mission where you take out a massive ship with 100% health in second using nothing but scorpions. I just grouped them all in one spot and sat there watching them them get shot at as my base kept pumping them out in the same spot while they repetitively attacked the massive screen hog to death. Then there was a mission where you have to hack an enemy ship, using defensive role I set up two turrets as they shot enemies and had ground vehicles hunched together between the turrets. Three enemies approached and just stood there because the ai couldn’t make up its mind at what to shoot. The whole one hour waste just watching enemy vehicles play bumper cars with itself.