RPS Electronic Wireless Show L4D2 Special

By John Walker on November 17th, 2009 at 11:00 am.

It's special.

While wandering the long, barren corridors of Valve HQ I stumbled upon Chet Faliszek and Erik Wolpaw, the two men who a few years ago made up the members of Old Man Murray. Bundling both of them into a big sack I carried them into a room packed with buzzing PCs and forced them to join in on a podcast to discuss the release of Left 4 Dead 2. You can listen to the results below.

After a small preamble of nonsense we get to discussing their roles on the game, briefly diverting ourselves with the perils of insulting my mum, and then moving on to a discussion of writing for games. Thoughts on ratings boards, flipping Vs, and the satisfaction of hearing your lines in a game come up. Then there’s analysis of how new L4D2 character Nick is a dick, and more details on the actors behind the voices, and how the recording sessions went. There’s the controversial matter of the PS3 brought up in no useful way at all, which somehow deviates into a discussion over who’s in charge of RPS. There’s comments on Old Man Murray, a tirade from Chet against a certain airline, and most of all, the secret of the G-Man revealed! And why Chet hates British steaks.

Occasionally throughout all this there’s thoughts on Left 4 Dead 2 as well. It’s worth a listen.

You can get the mp3 directly from here, subscribe to it by RSS with this, or get it on iTunes from here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. devlocke says:

Wow. I’ve been fiending like mad for a new John Walker/Jim Rossignol podcast (not to mention a new Rum Doings). I think a new John Walker/OldManMurray podcast probably makes up for the wait.

2. Skusey says:

Thank you John Walker.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Rossignol/Walker podcast returns next week.

4. jamie says:

can you phone up the valve people and ask them why i cant unlock their game until the 20th even though its meant to be out now according to everywhere official?

5. Metalfish says:

OMG G-Man reveal!

;-)

6. Ludo says:

You have to admire John’s dev lassooing skills here. The last time he was at Valve he got Chet, now Erik as well, great podcast!

7. LewieP says:

Heh, I feel a lot less bad about my phone going off whilst interviewing Chet now.

8. LewieP says:

Chet is talking about me, and yes I am crying.

9. akeripper says:

if i didnt already adore your podcast i do now

10. Dinger says:

So how many of those green leaf-shaped bars of soap did you pack home?

Giant Shopping Mall airports: how about Copenhagen (Illum with a departure lounge attached)? Minneapolis/St. Paul (Only difference from the Mall of America is that in one you try on shoes, in the other you take them out) or Atlanta (Drag your bags through all six food courts)?

Of course, my favorite is Munich. Free coffee in the outside-of-Schengen departure lounge, and a sex shop where you can replace all those liquids that were seized at security.

Pro Tip: for those of you worried that an overzealous flight attendant might seize your shiny new 18″ Orifice Obstructive Device, use the discreet “back entrance” off the men’s room.
    Pro Tip2: If said flight attendant questions you (“Are you wearing a weapon?”), the proper response is, “No, it’s wearing me!”

11. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Yes, I listened this far, because I couldn’t sleep through it. I tried to sleep through it, but that didn’t work,

12. Kilanash says:

I love how Eric takes the call in the middle and tells someone “Oh, she died.” and carries on the conversation with John like nothing happened.

13. Glove says:

Great, great podcast.

14. The Dark One says:

I read a piece on Gamasutra by a writer who’s been in exactly the situation you guys described in the podcast- get hired, see a half-finished game and try to figure out how to fit a story around what’s been made. I don’t remember if she stayed on the project until it was released or how much contact she had with the rest of the dev team, but it did not sound very fun.

15. Rei Onryou says:

I’d like to thank Valve for the best Chainsaw ever. Seriously, that thing deafens me when I use it, but it’s so worth it!

Next time I pick it up, I’m going to stand in a wide open area and get someone to throw a boomer bomb on me, just to enjoy the carnage!!! Shame it has limited fuel…

16. Feanor says:

I loved the diary in Broken Sword for the DS, well done.

Comment on this story