DragonLC: Return To Ostagar

By Jim Rossignol on November 20th, 2009 at 8:13 am.

Dragon Age‘s first post-release DLC has been announced, and it’s called “Return To Ostagar”. It apparently “allows players to exact their revenge and embark on a quest for the mighty arms and armor of the once great King Cailan when they revisit Ostagar, the site of the Grey Wardens’ darkest hour, to reclaim the honor and learn the secrets of Ferelden’s fallen king.” It’s going to cost 400 Bioware points on PC, which I guess is about $5. Release date is the less-than-specific “this winter”. Full press release below.

BIOWARE ANNOUNCES NEW “RETURN TO OSTAGAR” DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT FOR DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS
New DLC Announced for EA’s Award-Winning Epic RPG Fantasy

Guildford, UK – November 19, 2009 – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced today that the Return to Ostagar downloadable content (DLC) for Dragon Age™: Origins will be available for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC versions this Holiday season in North America and Europe. The DLC pack, Return to Ostagar, allows players to exact their revenge and embark on a quest for the mighty arms and armor of the once great King Cailan when they revisit Ostagar, the site of the Grey Wardens’ darkest hour, to reclaim the honor and learn the secrets of Ferelden’s fallen king.

“We are very proud of the phenomenal launch of Dragon Age: Origins and we’re pleased to announce the next installment of downloadable content that will be available to fans of the game,” said Ray Muzyka, Group General Manager, RPG/MMO Group of EA, and Co-Founder, BioWare. “The Return to Ostagar DLC pack is a prime example of BioWare’s commitment to give fans a game that continuously offers new experiences and further enriches a storyline that has already received critical acclaim and positive feedback from the players.”

Return to Ostagar, BioWare’s next thread in the Dragon Age: Origins tapestry, summons players to a new quest in which they will return to the fateful battleground in Ostagar where the Grey Wardens were nearly wiped out. Players will discover King Cailan’s top-secret political agenda and go behind enemy lines to revisit a place that many feared had been lost to history.

Return to Ostagar will be available for £3.99 on the PlayStation® Store, for 400 BioWare Points on the PC and 400 Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360 in North America. Return to Ostagar will be released this winter worldwide on the Xbox 360, the PlayStation®3 console and PC. Dragon Age: Origins is rated 18+ by PEGI.

For more information on Dragon Age: Origins, please visit www.dragonage.com

About BioWare
BioWare develops high quality console, PC and online role-playing games, focused on rich stories, unforgettable characters and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world’s most critically acclaimed titles, including Baldur’s Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, Jade Empire™ and Mass Effect™. BioWare operates in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), Montreal (Quebec) and Austin (Texas). BioWare’s announced projects include the dark heroic fantasy game Dragon Age: Origins, as well as Mass Effect 2™, the epic sequel to Mass Effect, and the story-driven massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars®: The Old Republic™. In 2008, BioWare was acquired by Electronic Arts, a leading global interactive entertainment publisher. For more information on BioWare, visit www.bioware.com; to join the millions of fans already registered on our community, go to http://social.bioware.com.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tei says:

Alistair is any good? It looks to me like a “Carth” type of guy. It has some good writings, maybe, but is designed to be a “Meh” character, a mediocre guy.

• Funky Badger says:

Alastair’s excellently written – maybe too much for his audience.

• Klaus says:

Once again I will litter this page with Alastair appreciation. He is awesome. He isn’t really like Carth at all. Even my rabbit recommends Alastair.

But I kinda liked Carth too. Poor guy.

• I'm OK says:

First of all, what’s with the Carth hate? Second of all, Alistair is nothing like Carth.

• Heliocentric says:

As a kotor but not dragon age player i can comment only on carth.

Carth was not the problem, the problem was everyone was good, expecting you to be good and pressuring you to be good.

Every fucker, only the bots and the mandelorian didn’t give me crap when i asked for better payment. Carth would have been fine in isolation, but surrounded by do gooders he would have been the king of whine, but that was stolen from him by the lady jedi.

So instead he felt like a whiney bitch if you were anything less than 100% good.

• Funky Badger says:

I thought Alistair was the best written character since HK. Then I met Zev…

• Klaus says:

Yep. I never ask for anything more.

Carth is… good, and it’s hard for me to hate ‘good.’ He isn’t trying to be good, he just is. Unlike…

I disliked Bastila far more than anyone else. As a matter of fact I don’t think I hated anyone in the main cast but Bastila. Bastila is snotty and self-righteous always warning about the dark side, blah, blah, blah and she was the first one to ‘fall.’ I spared her only for the ‘perfect’ ending. Once. I don’t get the Carth hate either, when Bastila is right there.

• skalpadda says:

I quite liked Carth as well, he was one-dimensional and yeah, he complained a lot about any dark side choice you made (he *is* the good guy after all, so why shouldn’t he?) but teasing Carth made for good fun if you played a female character.

2. Legionary says:

These DLC offerings are too small. I’m not paying £3 for half an hour’s entertainment. I’ll pay £5 for a new zone offering the same depth and scale as Orzammar.

3. Dante says:

Anonymous Coward said:

Nah, Alistair is very different to Carth, he’s not at all serious and makes light of… well… everything.

He’s probably my favourite NPC.

4. Dante says:

Anonymous Coward said:(a) It includes loot like Starfang and the Warden Commander armour which is overpowered for when you get it and spoils the balance in the early game. That’s especially bad on launch day, when a player might not be savvy enough to spot the problem until the damage is done. In future I’ll know to sell Starfang when I get it, but on my first run DAO was a slightly worse game for having WK installed.

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to call you a whiny internet bitch on this one.

Starfang is on a par with Topsider’s Honour, Keening Blade and Ageless, all of which can be gotten at around the same time in the regular game.

• Alexander Norris says:

Uh, no. Starfang is the only tier 8 weapon in the game, and you can get it as soon as you leave Lothering by travelling back and forth until you trigger the random encounter, then taking it to Warden’s Keep which takes all of 20 minutes to clear. It will always be tier 8, unlike every other piece of loot in the game which scales depending on your level.

So you can call people “whiny Internet bitches” as long as you want, but do try to be right when you do so. :P

• Klaus says:

I got Starfang pretty early in my first-half play through, un/fortunately I was not using anyone specializing in two handed weaponry so it just sat in my inventory. In my current play through I held off for a while until I acquired it. I have not acquired any of those other weapons. :(

But in fairness how can one not be savvy enough to see how powerful that weapon is.

• I'm OK says:

You know you could have gotten a one-handed Starfang, right?

• Klaus says:

Ah yes. Now I remember. I made the two-handed one because I anticipated having Sten in my party, but right soon after I found my ‘working/awesome’ party so I never had gotten to use it. I’ve never made the one handed one.

5. Dante says:

Alex

I know it’s Tier 8, but that just means it does a little more base damage, which in the grand scheme of things isn’t as good as some of the myriad bonus features of other weapons (eg: Ageless’ Darkspawn weakening) making them fairly interchangeable.

Ageless, incidentally, you can get rather easily by defeating a mini dragon in Orzamar, not hard at all if you’re looking for it.

It doesn’t really matter when you get the weapons, you wont’ be able to equip them until you’re a suitably high level anyway.

• Alexander Norris says:

You can get Str 36 (IIRC what’s needed for t7 swords) by the time you leave Lothering, to be honest. It’s not like any of the equipment has particularly stringent requirements, which is what makes handing them out early so problematic.

Incidentally, have you figured out what Messy Kills does? I thought it’d be like Bloody Mess, but Ageless didn’t seem to get finishers on every enemy I killed (and that would’ve been a drawback anyway, since finishers take control away from you for a few seconds).

• I'm OK says:

Why is it “so problematic”? For me, Alistair has been using Warden Commander armor and Starfang for a while now, Warden’s Keep being the first thing I did since leaving Lothering, and he’s certainly not game-breakingly powerful because of it. He just dies slightly less often now, is all.

• Alexander Norris says:

My tank wore Blood Dragon armour for the first 60% of the game and it made it trivially easy.

• Dominic White says:

I had Sten wearing the blood dragon armor, too, specced for tanking, Wynne on dedicated healing duty, Normal difficulty.

Sten STILL went down like a sack of potatoes on a semi-regular basis. My main character did better with a suit of dragon-bone armor.

• Klaus says:

Same for me. I switched it out because I was tired of looking at it.

Alastair died all the time with me. Which caused me to laugh when I read this in the prima guide thingy.

I like Dog as my tank because he’s easy to run, and I prefer to have another rogue in the party because somehow they seem to live longer than poor Alistair does. Don’t blame him, though; it’s all my own mishandling of the warrior class.
      Cori May, Designer

• Funky Badger says:

Tank needs a shield, dude. Blood Dragon armour does seem very powerful, mind.

6. Orange says:

Alistair is a great tank if you give him all the shield skills and have the shield wall mode always activated. There are loads of good shields to find for him to use as well, too many even.

I went to Warden’s Keep pretty late in the game, glad I did as it’s not the equipment which made the game a lot easier, it’s the sickly powerful blood power skills on my spirit healer. Ended up finishing the whole thing on first playthrough on Hard, did Archdemon and other bosses on first attempt.

• Alexander Norris says:

That’s valid for every tank (re: Shield Wall and the anti-flank talents).

I think part of the problem is also people presuming that a Warrior somehow needs to hit to be useful. Not so. A tank raises Str to 42 for t7 massive armour and Dex to 26 for Shield Expertise, and then every other stat point should be put in Con for extra HP and physical resistance. Taunt at the onset of battle then again if your Mage or Rogue gets too much flak and you don’t actually need to land a blow or do damage for you to tank efficiently. In fact, you could probably not bother with the sword-and-board line of active abilities (Shield Bash through to Assault) at all and be just as good a tank.

7. EaterOfCheese says:

In other DragonAge DLC related news, you can use the mod tools to expand your backpack w/out shelling out money for a virtual backpack, as noted in the quarter to three forums…

Comment on this story