Tommy Guns And Respawn Fictions

By Jim Rossignol on November 20th, 2009 at 5:35 pm.

As we’ve mentioned a number of times previously, Bioshock 2 will feature multiplayer. A new video of that mode has been released unto the internet today, and we’ve posted it below for your delectation. As you might expect, it demonstrates a number of the in-game powers, the barks of your freakish gene-splicing characters, their weapons, and the rather splendid Art Deco environments that all the murderin’ is going to take place in. It’s an odd addition to the game, however, and I can’t help thinking about how hard they’re going to have to try to compete with their contemporaries. Is an old-skool deathmatch add-on really want we demand for 2010?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TotalBiscuit says:

Looks like a bit of fun. Particular fan of the voice-acting. Needs more kindly.

2. phil says:

Awesomely meaty and wince inducing ‘ough!’s, perhaps instead of asking the voice actors to fake it they simply attacked that week’s intern with a mallet.

3. Lack_26 says:

Not nearly Gratuitous enough, or nearly enough space battles.

I’m fairly sure that they did just attack a work-experience kid.

• Jugglenaut says:

This comment just won the day for me.

And I can’t wait to play this, both single and mp. And anyone who thinks that nobody wants plain deathmatch needs to log onto the many 24/7 2Fort servers that have one person turtle on the intelligence and everyone else just kills everyone else.

4. Jason Moyer says:

Would you kindly put the cursor over that man’s face and click repeatedly?

I haven’t played a good deathmatch game since Quake 1. While I’m looking forward to seeing what Jordan’s team does with the singleplayer, I have a feeling the multiplayer side is going to be a blast.

5. goodgimp says:

Anyone know if there’s coop in this game, or just DM and various team-oriented MP?

6. DXN says:

Anyone else not able to see the video? I just see a little screen that says “loading video information”. Where’s it hosted? Their other videos don’t seem to work for me either…

7. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

“Is an old-skool deathmatch add-on really want we demand for 2010?”

I don’t know ’bout you bro, but I do. And a helluva lot people too

It’s like when you visit your grandmother and she made apple pie for you. This stuff NEVER gets old.

8. roBurky says:

That doesn’t look good. If the floating red name above an enemy’s head is easier to spot than the enemy, and is therefore how you’re tracking their position, something has gone wrong.

9. ZIGS says:

Multiplayer, huh? Does this means the campaign will be 6 hours long?

10. Ginger Yellow says:

What I’d like from Bioshock multiplayer is a mode where one player is a Big Daddy (or sister, I suppose) and the other is the player character, who gets to set up traps at the start of the round. Then they have at each other.

11. Joey says:

Definitely think they just put in multiplayer so the game would be pirated less. I loved the atmosphere and story of the first one. I could care less about the multiplayer. Between borderlands, the l4d’s and quake live for traditional DM, I really don’t need another. I really hope the story and campaign are long and well done again. It would be a shame to see this series focus less on what it does best.

12. PHeMoX says:

While I agree they could have done more innovative things with the multiplayer from what we know now, I don’t think a serious but robust multiplayer does any harm. In no way does it look like an odd addition to me, it’s basically what the fans asked for when the original was released.

I’m not so sure what people think a Big Daddy and Little Sister kind of co-op or class based multiplayer should work like.

Then again the original had ceiling crawling enemies, enemies with powers, big daddies, little sisters, yeah a lot can be said for a class based multiplayer game actually.

It definitely looks well balanced to me or at least fun to play. The reloading of the crossbow reminds me a whole lot of a different game, but I can’t quite pinpoint which one.

Regardless, looking forward to thiiiiiiisss!

13. malkav11 says:

Unnecessary sequel tacks on unnecessary game mode.

Oh, I don’t mean they should have just done Bioshock as a one off and moved on to other things. But they should have done something new, original, and awesome, like Bioshock. Not gone back to the same watering hole, now with the excess multiplayer baggage that the first game rightfully cast off.

On the other hand, I’ll probably still buy it day one or close to, so maybe they have my number after all.

• blah says:

“…they should have done something new, original, and awesome, like Bioshock

Thanks for that, I needed a laugh today.

14. EvaUnit02 says:

BS2 uses GfWL, so there ya go:- P2P hosting, no dedi’s, no anti-cheat. Consider the MP scene dead on delivery for this game.

15. KindredPhantom says:

I like the running commentary from the character as he frags the opposition.
    This looks to be fun death match in rapture.

16. Heliocentric says:

What happened to capture the flag little girl? A flag which runs away and has its own body guard.

Comment on this story