Demigod v1.2: Demon Assassin

By Jim Rossignol on November 23rd, 2009 at 8:44 pm.

The v1.2 patch for Demigod is out, and it can be picked up on Impulse. It features a new character, the Demon Assassin, as well as a bunch of other fixes and features, such as AI options and a mod-manager. The second scheduled demigod, Oculus, will apparently appear “in the coming weeks”. The full change log for the patch is here, along with some videos and screens of the new demigod in action. I really should go back and play this online at some point, I’m pretty sure I’ve promised to about half a dozen times. That said, my guilt is assuaged by the fact that I’ve managed to get snared by another Stardock game, Sins Of A Solar Empire, while playing it for a retrospective last week.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. ArtyArt says:

“in the coming weeks”, huh? Can’t they just say “when it’s done”? Oh well. I was just reinstalling this, so I consider this good timing indeed. Does anyone happen to know if they fixed the borked mp achievements?

2. TotalBiscuit says:

If there were ever a time to use the phrase ‘day late, dollar short’ this would be it.

3. Sovietmudkipz says:

Wow, that’s it?

…Stardock, you need an EA on your back.

4. Alexander Norris says:

Unfortunately, I think the new demigods are going to be activated at the same time or something; I couldn’t actually play the Demon Assassin in skirmish when I tried. :(

• bansama says:

Simply fire up an online (internet) game, select a bot if you don’t really want to play with anyone else, and it’ll unlock the character for offline play too.

5. Hal says:

Yes, they’re both grayed out.

6. Psychopomp says:

So, when are they gonna patch the community?

7. Daniel Klein says:

SoaSE retrospective, you say? Has that been released and slipped past me somehow? I’ve been trying to game again myself recently, trying to figure out why I stopped playing. I used to be a hardcore RTS player, and SoaSE at first seemed to be brilliant for what it was (basically a 1:1 Warcraft 3 clone in space, with the tiniest of additions).

I’m far from having reached a conclusion, but the main reason why I stopped playing (and it must be said that by “playing” I mean exclusively hardcore human on human online action in very small games, 1v1 or 2v2) I think is phase jumps.

The first time you see a phase jump in SoaSE it’s… well it’s pretty damn impressive. Didn’t even Tycho remark on the majesty of your entire fleet jumping in sync into a new system to nuke the shit out of an unsuspecting planet? Yeah, that’s the “wow” moment most players have. But then you realize you spend more time waiting for ships to jump from system to system than you do doing anything else. And THEN you realize that most of the time when you try to abort a jump, half your fleet aborts while the other half jumps a few lightyears away and will be back in, oh, half an eternity. And *then* you notice that sometimes orders are given to only half your units because some of them eluded your cursor by going into phase space. And so on. Battles become a quick confrontation (exciting!) followed by a massively boring game of “try to do more damage to the enemies’ shields between phase jumps than they naturally regenerate”.

I really wonder how the decision to have these very long and painful phase jumps in the game was reached. Was it a case of someone sitting down and saying “well, here you go, I think this is an interesting tactical element, fleet positioning becomes more important and choosing the proper jump-in point also makes for an interesting game element” or was it a case of the art department doing a mockup of the phase jump animation with the guy in charge going “ooooh, shiny!”

• TotalBiscuit says:

I’m sorry but SoaSE is nothing like Warcraft in space, it’s not even technically the same sub-genre.

• Daniel Klein says:

I knew someone would take the bait! Okay, here we go:

1) A hero in warcraft 3 has four abilities. The first three, “normal”, abilities can be leveled every other hero level. That is to say, at level 3 any given normal ability can be leveled to level 2. Every level-up improves the heroes attack speed, damage, damage absorption, max mana, max health, mana regen and health regen. It also equals one skill point to be put into any of these abilities. The fourth, by far the most powerful ability, is the ultimate. It can be bought at level 6 and has only one ability level. It has by far the highest cooldown and mana cost.

1a) A capital ship in Sins of a Solar Empire has four abilities. The first three, “normal”, abilities can be leveled every other capital ship level. That is to say, at level 3 any given normal ability can be level to level 2. Every capital ship level-up improves the capital ship’s attack speed, damage, damage absorption, max energy, max health, max shields, energy regen and shield/health regen. It also equals one skill point to be put into any of these abilities. The fourth, by far the most powerful ability, is the ultimate. It can be bought at level 6 and has only one ability level. It has by far the highest cooldown and mana cost.

2) The buildings you have access to in Warcraft 3 are: the altar, where you summon your hero, the barracks, where you build your low level troops, the research building (which sometimes doubles as wood dropoff point), your towers, your highlevel unit buildings, and with the expansion your shop. In the early game, the question is always how soon do you build your altar to summon your first hero, only that it’s not really a question since it’s always “right away”. Also, two of your races need to build a building on top of a gold mine in order to extract gold from that gold mine. These buildings are weak and vulnerable to harassment.

2a) The buildings you have access to in Sins of a Solar Empire are: your capital ship factory, where you construct your capital ship, your frigate factory, where you construct your other units, two research buildings, your towers and other stationary defenses, and an assortment of high level stuff that is rarely built in 1v1 matches (starbases, trading ports, etc). In the early game the question is how soon do you build your capital ship factory, only that it’s not really a question since the answer is always “right away”. Also, to extract resources from resource asteroids you have to build structures on them. These structures are weak and vulnerable to harassment.

3) The unit types you have available to you in Warcraft 3 include: a low level short range “backbone of the army” type of unit (except with NE), a fragile long range unit with enormous damage output (again, these roles are reversed for night elves, but they do have both these units), an offensive spellcaster, a defensive spellcaster, a hugely powerful meatshield unit, a very long range siege type unit, a main air unit and a dedicated anti-air unit, and typically one or two specialists per race filling a gap in the unit layout (raider/kodos for orc, steamtank / spellbreaker for human etc)

3a) The unit types you have available to you in Sins of a Solar Empire include: a scout (no equivalent in War3! Wee!), a short range “backbone of the army” type of unit (light frigate), a fragile long range unit with enormous damage output (light missile frigate), an offensive and a defensive support frigate, a hugely powerful meatshield unit (front-line cruiser), a very long range planetary bombardment unit, a carrier and a dedicated anti-carrier, and in the case of the Advent, a specialist type support frigate filling a gap in the lineup (Iconis Guardian).

Obviously, there is stuff that goes beyond War3 in SoaSE; it borrows the culture system and the settler and scout units from the Civilization games, upkeep is increased through research, not through buildings (but still there is an upkeep system that penalizes your resource income based on your army size, exactly like in Warcraft 3), there are planetary upgrades and artifacts, etc, but at its core it is a very faithful Warcraft 3 clone.

This is a good thing. It fails where it deviates from its obvious inspiration.

8. dadioflex says:

I might be mis-understanding you, but a long time ago I played WRG rules 15mm miniatures war games and they had the option to field part of your army later in the game, entering the battle from an area of the table that was your choosing. You had to wait so many turns plus a die roll until they appeared. Sounds like a similar mechanic.

• Daniel Klein says:

Nah, not quite. SoaSE is played on a map representing one or more solar systems. Every planet’s or asteroid’s gravitational field is a distinct circular playing area. They are linked with phase lanes, and the existence or absence of these lanes is quite arbitrary. Basically it’s a series of tubes. Jumping from one well to another takes quite a while: first your ships have to travel to the proper edge of the well, then they have to spin up their jump drives, and then they actually have to travel through phase space. The positioning thing I mentioned is really quite minor and, at least in the games I have played, mostly irrelevant (except in the case of a heavily fortified gravitational well that you just want to travel through, where you want to make sure you position yourself so that you jump into the well farthest from the defenses). So basically every move across the map is made up of a series of jumps, and you wait for each jump and phase space journey, and it just gets quite dull.

9. Matthew Gallant says:

I’d like to second Daniel Klein’s request for a Sins of a Solar Empire retrospective! At the very least in February when the Diplomacy micro-expansion comes out.

10. Elusive Pastry says:

Does the game still cause hard locks? I had to stop playing because of that.

11. flowdschi says:

Well i like the “no respeccing” thing..it kinda takes the cheap feeling off it and it really feels like my character is “growing” and not just a walking toolbox with interchangeable ..tools :P
    Although it wouldve been nice to know WHAT im speccing exactly..and not trial-and-error :P

But i can also see the “omagad i dont want to play it 500 times to see every ability” argument :)

• flowdschi says:

oh you have got to be kidding me..i had the DA thread open…i didnt even READ the demigod thing because i dont like the game …sorry … dunno why it landed here
      delete plox..and sorry again -.-

12. ck101 says:

lols, I got this game the day it came out, and managed to play with about 10 friends for 3 months, then we quit to heroes of newerth and I haven’t played demigod in a good 4 months.. I see the patch came out, so I reinstalled it.. There were 0 games in lobby, so I made one, 10 minutes later we started finally.. 5 minutes into the game, one of the other teammates dropped and a desync error came up and kicked everyone from the game.

This is a fail game, and a fail devteam “supports” it. DO NOT BUY demigod!! The lied to their community and stardock games are full of bugs and no support.

Comment on this story