Aion “Vision” Trailer Unfurls

By Jim Rossignol on November 24th, 2009 at 6:50 pm.

Aion, the MMO about warring celestial warrior races, did rather well for NCSoft. The European and North American launch snagged 970,000 boxed unit sales, and probably a few more on digital download. Now though they’re looking to the future, and they’ve released this new trailer to show off some of what’s planned. There’s a graphical overhaul at the front end and – holy shit look at those giant fish – but more beyond that, including some serious boss monsters, underwater stuff, what I assume is player-owned housing, some dodgy-looking ostriches, a dude riding a horned dinosaur, some fighting-game-style finishing moves, and, damn, giant wandering colossi being attack with cannons…

Okay, yeah, that’s actually pretty spectacular.

, .

1. Obligatory says:

People still play this and haven’t gone back to WoW yet?

2. DMJ says:

I played Aion for a month. The graphics were so good they made my eyes bleed. The gameplay was so grindy it made my eyes bleed more.

• egg says:

Same thing here. Kinda regret having spent 49 dollars on it.

The sad part is that most of Aion is about copying what worked in World of Warcraft. But NCsoft doesn’t have the same capacity Blizzard has, in terms of polishing games to a level no other company can reach (well, except Valve, maybe).

• skalpadda says:

I wouldn’t say it lacks polish in any way. It looks amazing, I never encountered any bugs, the world building is solid, the mechanics work and is has loads of clever features which should be in every MMO. It’s just not very interesting. Say what you want about WoW, but Blizzard did significantly move things forward with Wrath of the Lich King and there are really no excuses for releasing a game with such a completely rubbish and grindy quest structure.

3. The Great Wayne says:

Well, these are really nice graphics if you like the final fantasy stuff. Too bad the gameplay is so poor.

Talking of that, on the opposite end of the mmorpg picture, Darkfall is getting a new free expansion at the end of the week called “Conquer the seas”. After the dragon hype era we’ve been through (Wow Cataclysm, GW 2 fluff, Dragon Age,…) do I see the reign of the scuba divers and the scurvy seadogs coming ?

Ahoy, matey.

• heartlessgamer says:

Are you kidding me? You call out Aion’s gameplay in the same breath you bring up Darkfall? /sigh

• The Great Wayne says:

Well I certainly did. Imho Aion is all about aesthetics with a poor gameplay, while Darkfall is often discarded for its graphs but has an interesting gameplay, which keeps getting better it seems.

In my book this places them on opposite ends of the mmo spectrum, but I find quite interesting that both would go the same way into the pirate/sea adventures thingy around the same period.

• TotalBiscuit says:

The gameplay is basically identical to most other MMOs. It’s well polished and if you like that kind of thing, more power to you.

4. IvanHoeHo says:

I still like Guild Wars 2′s art direction more, though.

Maybe they’re just too…. shiny? Oh, and the bloom, of course.

Maybe a painter could explain better…

5. Tei says:

Sooo much LOVE and HARDWORK and TALENT wasted on a generic mmorpg game :-(

Sorry for the use of uppercases, I know is lame (let people bold whatever want), but I can’t stop myself, is just.. sad, that this obvius overflow of talent and hardwork is dedicated as something as boring as AION.

I mean, GO BUY IT, is great good gameplay for about 30 days. Imagine if that talent where dedicated to good old singleplayer games… but I suppose theres not the amount of money you can get (from players and investors) from the mmos.

6. Grape Flavor says:

Well… damn.

The question left in my mind is: Is the gameplay anywhere near as good as the graphics and atmosphere? If it is, then hurrah for NCSoft, because you just made a hell of a game.

Best of luck, it’s a hard business. :l

7. Carra says:

It’s too early to say that the game did rather well. Age of Conan and Warhammer Online sold similar numbers if I remember well.

Where will this game stand on its first anniversary? Will it still be around in five years?

Impressive video though, the game sure looks pretty. Then again, people don’t mind playing games with five year old graphics. And if there’s one thing the current console wars have shown us it’s that having fun gameplay triumphs over pretty graphics.

• Shalrath says:

Didn’t the numbers for Counter-Striker and CS:S prove that already?

• jameskond says:

This is a whole other beast then CS:S, you just have to buy CS:S just once and if you don’t like it, they already have your money, however with an MMO you can just cancel there sub. and there cash flow will run out. Also CS:S costs as much as one month of a MMO sub. :p

8. Fillem says:

Wow.
    This is one stunning trailer. Very, very well produced and edited.
    If only this was an epic single player experience.

Everything looks glorious and grand yet everytime I keep thinking you just run past all those glorious environments and don’t even see them anymore because you need to kill X of Y again, and again, and again.

9. KawaiiSlime says:

Awww…what did those aquatic tiger piggies ever do to you Mr. Meany generic dark elf dual wielding dagger assassin type guy?

10. Alexander Norris says:

Jesus.

More fantasy should look like that, and less fantasy should look like generic Tolkien copycats.

I presume it’s very grindy, but what’s the combat like? That trailer makes it look more like an action game than “hit 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 8.” Is it worth weathering through the grind to get to see their world?

• DMJ says:

Actually the combat is more like 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2…

Attacks are done in “chains”. This means that they build up to increasingly awesomely powerful and impressive skills as you build up the “chain”. That sounds good, right? But the “chain start” skill button changes to represent the next skill in the chain. And then the next skill. So you keep hitting the same button over and over again. Your character does cool stuff on the screen. You wonder if you’re actually contributing anything. You die a little inside.

• DSX says:

And you have different chains. And little buffs that do different things to your chains. And little side-skills that you can fork a chain off to for a certain response to events like a block, evade, or a critical.

I’m enjoying AION, and was a huge nay-sayer during beta, but once I reached 25 and the rest of the pvpve content began to open up, it’s really grown on me. The video looks good, however my concern from it are the lack of any alliance raid content other then that village siege. Raid ability is the only thing WoW has in spades over AION imho. Currently there are only two things you can do in an alliance in, the Dredgian and fortress sieges. Everything is is 6 man groups.

• Stupoider says:

I’m starting to feel that fantasy should be geared towards the generic type rather than the eastern-inspired stuff, and all the spiky hairdoes and the destruction of O zone that comes with it.

I wouldn’t mind a fantasy game set on the Discworld.

11. Severian says:

i swear that housing looked like the frickin’ suburbs. I thought in fantasy-land o’ tropes, you got your own private continent with a harem of elven slave babes and no annoying neighbors asking to borrow your battelaxe every two minutes.

12. Chris D says:

I really enjoyed Aion for about a month. Then it just started to feel like having a job. Haven’t been back since.

13. TeeJay says:

What kind of fps do you get on this? The trailer looked great but didn’t feel very smooth.

• skalpadda says:

Performance was never a problem for me, it ran extremely well and in crowded areas even better than WoW with all the bells and whistles on.

14. Danarchist says:

It is grindy as all get out, and if your one of those insane healer types like me its grindy+boring. Regrettably i have a group of good friends that plays together a couple times a week and drafted me. I am told that if you can grit your teeth till 25 and get to the abyss it is allot more interesting grinding….but still grinding. The main problem it has is the game was balanced for Korean audiences that tend to have much more tolerance for grinding (probably due to the lack of high fructose corn syrup in everything they eat). Myself, if im forced to solo I get a good solid 15 minutes in then log out and play Dragon Age

• The Great Wayne says:

Dude, you aren’t 25 yet and still bored with the grind ?

Sorry to say, but you haven’t even put the toe into the grind of this game, especially as a cleric ^^

• Psychopomp says:

That’s not a good thing.

15. Inanimotioon says:

I felt like that entire trailer was for Final Fantasy Online II.

16. Scandalon says:

Wow, that really looks…wow. That almost makes it look worth checking out.

17. kinah says:

Woooh! I personally love Aion. I used to play this game and really amazed on its graphics. Now, these changes to the game have a real chance at winning people over. Looking forward to watch this game grow and evolve. :)

18. Choca says:

Nice trailer. Boring game.

19. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Although I’m not a fan of the eastern art style i’d really be nice to just explore it for a bit, especially with the flight system they have. But with it being a grindy MMO? Nah.

• The Great Wayne says:

The fly system looks nice at first, but it only works in certain specific, often enclosed areas, around towns to be able to harvest floating Aether and in the abyss (which is kinda meh, sighting wise).

So much for the flying exploration, sorry.

20. neolith says:

Same for me. The changes in the engine look nothing short than amazing, but the eastern art style and the stories about the grind make me stay away from this.

A shame WAR didn’t look like this and a shame it was patched into oblivion… :(

21. stef says:

22. stef says:

People talks about grind but its always been there in any game. When i see my nephew play Modern warfare 2, days on end everyday doing the exact same shit on the exact same 8 maps that come with the game, i wonder why he’s not bored yet. It is the same thing, grind grind grind without end. In fact, all fps are like that, just kill without end. MMo are basically the same thing but with more lore and an idea of improving substantially your toon from lvl 1 to max. If you don’t like this idea, then go back to fps and stop bitching about it. Aion is an unfinished game just like any other mmo out there. Wow when it started wasn’t that great either. Can you say 1 dungeon end game? Can you say endless killing of mobs from 50 to 60 and there wasn’t any 4 times faster xp in quests and mobs killing at that time so it took a looooooooong time to reach lvl cap. If they had let everyone reach lvl cap as fast as today, wow would have been gone because peeps would have been bored of it before they could implement more content. Same thing with Aion, they needed the cash influx to be able to build more content and keep going. Meanwhile, if yur dumb enough to rush to lvl cap and burn yourself out then be my guest. I prefer taking my time, reading the lore and enjoying the ride. When ill get there, that aion vision probably will be implemented and ill have far more fun than the burned ones that needed to reach lvl cap today. bunch of dumbass all of em! hehehe

23. zombiebombie says:

yeah i agree, I think people are being a bit harsh towards Aion. Wow’s set the benchmark pretty high but its been running for years and has had lots of time to resolve its issues and expand. I think Aion’s got plenty of potential there – different artistic look, different lore, different world. I hear they are in the process of fixing the leveling to make it less ‘grindy’ and if they can keep the farmers/botters discouraged then it will be great. Give it time ; D

24. aion database says:

Oh yeah, give it time. It started with a bang because of its exceptional graphics and I’m pretty sure that it’ll make it big in this gaming industry. There maybe a little bugs at this moment which I believe NCSoft’s working out to have it resolved.