Stubbs The Zombie: Rebel Without A Charge

By Kieron Gillen on November 25th, 2009 at 12:04 pm.

It's all gone a bit Jackson Pollock

Just picked this up from Worthplaying. Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without A Pulse is now available for zero monies. All you have to do is go to GameAgent here and enter the coupon code ASPYRTHANKS to remove the charge. It’s a comedy-action adventure in the Halo zone which I reviewed when it came out, and didn’t really think much of. It’s a golden rule of games criticism: if a comedy game involves your emitting of gases produced in your anal canal as an attack, it’ll neither be i) good ii) funny. Still – the retro-sci-fi setting is quite imaginative and… oh, I give up. Here’s the trailer!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. phi says:

Stubbs is a lovely antidote to gaming’s current anti-zombie prejudice – creating a small mob of lovable decomposing corpses, then watching them ever so slowly stagger towards a shotgun packing lone hero, before sneaking up behind him and eating his brain, it pays many debts to our undead friends.

2. hydra9 says:

This from the site’s FAQ:

Is GameAgent.com available for everyone worldwide?
    Unfortunately, digital downloads through GameAgent.com will only be available for North American customers at launch.

Also, DRM locks it to 2 computers and 10 activations. Just saying.

3. Psychopomp says:

The service is crap, but *free is free*

4. RLacey says:

If I could sign up for this I would, even though I already have the game on disc at home. I found it got a bit boring before the end – I never came close to finishing it – but what I played absolutely oozed charm.

5. Sp4rkR4t says:

I just set the country to Mexico, now the invoice page says it’s processing serial number or unlock code.

6. Lars Westergren says:

Well, the first 20 seconds in that trailer were hilarious at least. :)

7. AndrewC says:

I’m not convinced by this claim about bottom produce not being funny or good.

In Black & White you could order your monster to poo on people, though I admit you only had indirect control over the poo. Perhaps it is specifically having a ‘button for anus’ that is bad, though I’m pretty sure Abe’s Oddysee had a farting button. Maybe this is ineligable because Abe’s rasberries were not weaponised. In which case I reckon that Keiron’s qualifications are so incredibly specific that there are probably only about 3 examples in all of gaming that satisfy them, which is not a wide enough sample to make generalisations about the funniness or goodness of farting.

Shoddy journalism I say, and demand a list of games with bum weapons in them.

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

i listen to the soundtrack but the demo left a lot to be desired.

9. Horhe says:

I have loved stubbs the zombie ever since i picked it up from the local video store on xbox all those years ago… Seriously, how many other games let you BE THE ZOMBIE!?! And NACK ON PEOPLES BRAINS!!!

My favourite quote would have to be right after ripping some poor cops arm off and getting ready to beat him with it: “That was my second favourite arm!!”

10. Out Reach says:

filled in the forms but can’t find the download button… someone help me >> I don’t want to sign up to another forum to access their help team where they will probably work out I’m not from North America.

11. Out Reach says:

12. plugmonkey says:

““Processing serial number or unlock code.” AHA! so now i wait for them to work out there is no London in New York state >>”

Or that I might be the same chap who, 20 minutes ago, claimed to be from Brighton, Mexico, but has now mysteriously relocated to Vancouver…

13. Sp4rkR4t says:

I’m in Southampton, Mexico. It’s raining quite heavily for Mexico and there are a hell of a lot of miserable white people on the streets.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

Maybe they’re making a sequel to Los Tres Amigos?

• Gotem says:

As a matter of fact it’s raining in Mexico, which is quite unusual at this time of the year…
      Anyway, I played the demo some time ago and I don’t think it’s worth the download even at that price.
      The only thing I liked was the music, I think it’s the only game I’ve seen with 50′s soundtrack

14. Psychopomp says:

I’m from Austin, TX, and put that in. I still got the processing thing. Looking around their site, I get the distinct feeling they haven’t actually released Stubbs on their service yet.

15. Ginger Yellow says:

Stubbs was a really funny game, but the gameplay was only so-so. I never finished it, but I’m glad I played it. Edge made a very strong case in its defence a while back.

16. Catastrophe says:

I had Stubbs on the Xbox and loved it. The soundtrack was awesome and getting to be the zombie and create your own undead army was funny.

The quotes from the game were also priceless.

I beat it twice.

17. dadioflex says:

I loved Stubbs. Played it through in about two sittings. I thought the story was great.

18. Tei says:

Strubbs the Zombie was somewhat like a “Aliens” game. The hand = facehugger. Army of zombies = alien drones.

• Redd says:

This. Scuttling across ceilings and through the ventilation system, looking for prey to drop on… very cool, very Alien.

19. RHippy says:

Same thing “Processing serial number or unlock code.” Anyone actually managed to get the thing?

20. Dave says:

If I’m not mistaken, the Rakk Hive in Borderlands actually has a poo attack as well as the spewing-from-what-would-be-a-mouth-if-it-didn’t-look-so-much-like-a-vagina attack.

21. Razor says:

Registered in Canada and still can’t download. “Processing serial number or unlock code.”

22. Railick says:

There actaully is a London Kentucky if that helps you guys out, also a Paris ;P I think they’ll probably just assume you’re from some tiny little town in Newyork state they’ve never heard of it and give you a pass (lets hope)

I loved this game when it came out, the barber shop quartet with jet packs was probably my favorite part :) (And the peeing in the cities water supply that was awesome)

23. 1stGear says:

Its probably all these blasted Brits faking Americanism that are slowing us God-fearing Yankees down. Go get your games from the Queen, ya lobsters! *shakes his fist*

Also, I find it a sign of the gaming times back then when “Built with the Halo engine” was a marketing point.

24. Jahkaivah says:

@Phi

While it might not have been the case back when Stubbs was made, it is sadly becomming the case of a twist becoming a trope in itself as there are actually quite a few games out there that yet you play as a zombie, or as the “things that go bump in the night” in general.

25. Kid A says:

The parent company responsible for the offer, Aspyr, is on Thanksgiving break from today till the 30th. Which may explain the complete lack of serial keys.

26. Shalrath says:

Two computers, 10 activations? I assume this company is simply trying to lose to Good Old games.

27. dazed says:

Not actually free, but discounted cheap. $4.99 is still not free though.

28. Stupoider says:

It’s not free. D:

29. Kid A says:

If you’ve already gotten in there, it’s still “processing” or whatever. THey appear to have changed the offer from $9.99 to free, to $19.99 to $4.99. Shame.

30. abhishek says:

They changed it a while ago. It was free for about 6-8 hours in the beginning, and now they raised the price to 20$, and 5$ with the discount.

31. drakkheim says:

what a truly terrible download service.

I’m assuming that this was a marketing attempt to gain attention / mindshare to their service and that it has horribly backfired.

32. JackofAllTrades88 says:

Quite disappointing to hear. I did get in there before they changed the price, but do you think they’re just going to rescind the offer? Is anyone up for sending angry emails?

33. theleif says:

GameAgent We’ll do the work. You download and play.

Server Error
    Error:

We are currently unable to perform the selected action. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We have been notified and are already working to correct this issue as quickly as possible. Please click your browser’s back button and try this action at a later time, or take a different action.

Error Number: SYS_000001

Pretty ironic.

Do your work, dammit!

34. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I LOVE this game, srsly…I’m tired of shooting zombies, I want more games the other way round!
    Mmmm, brains…

35. Out Reach says:

if was free when i finished at the checkout. If they don’t give me the game, its some serious breach of consumer law.

36. Ira says:

Seems the price has been raised to $5. :(

37. Blather Blob says:

I don’t think it was a marketing scam. Their twitter feed said something about getting a $15-off coupon for subscribing to the Aspyr Newsletter; ASPYRTHANKS is presumably that coupon. Last night (EST) they had 2 different offerings of Stubbs, a $10 one and a $20 one, which sure looked like a mistake. Someone probably noticed that the $10 one could be had for free with the $15 coupon and spread it as being a “free Stubbs offer”. It looks like they just set both offerings of Stubbs to $20 after they got into the office this morning and noticed what was happening, especially since all those errors look like they exhausted their available keys.

So: The SAT Prep Game: FutureU (PC) is now available for zero monies! Just enter the coupon code ASPYRTHANKS at the checkout.

• Blather Blob says:

Just thought to look at their twitter feed again today, and they actually confirm that ASPYRTHANKS is a $15 coupon. Also looks like that SAT game is on sale this month, which might explain why Stubbs was accidentally marked down — the Stubbs which was dropped to $10 (same as the SAT game’s sale price) has a productID which appears to only be “one up” from the PC version of the SAT game, 107989300 vs. 107989200. Stubbs is probably listed right after the SAT game on their admin interface, and somebody probably hit Stubbs by accident while dropping the prices on the SAT game.

38. mr arse says:

stubbs the zombie is ACE!

the patton bit in the barn where he just says “brains.. brains…. brains..”

and the “pissing in the water supply” mission! great fun..

AND you get to FART!

39. KaunMoth says:

Only if they’ve removed the pesky starforce it originally had.

40. fabrulana says:

ermm still on ““Processing serial number or unlock code.” . Even though I am in “New York” (South Africa)

41. Jaffo says:

If I ever receive a serial, any chance it would activate via Steam?

42. mr arse says:

i save them up and keep them “special”..

43. Chemaqua says:

It’s not free… when I enter in the code, I get only 15 dollars off (out of 20). The discount is a lie!

44. Tye The Czar says:

Aww.. I put in the code, and it only took $15.00 off the price.

45. Optimaximal says:

I just got an email saying that my order was ready! (maybe they caved to the bad press and authed all the people who took advantage).

that said, downloading it with FDM resulted in Digital River telling me i’ve already attempted to download it 12 times! Clusterfuck or what!!

46. geebs says:

Has anyone actually got this yet? I”m still getting “Processing serial number or unlock code.” message after paying for this on the 26th.

47. Jason Moyer says:

If you signed up for the free order, you might want to check your email now. I signed up for it before they fixed the mistake, and just received my free download link today. It’s pretty awesome they honored the free deal even though they obviously didn’t intend to give the game away.

48. crosslink says:

Ditto for me…placed my order before the fix and just received my download link today. It’s downloading as I type this.

Thanks GameAgent! (…and thanks RPS for the heads up!)

49. Jaffo says:

Downloading now while I watch with fingers crossed for Kettering!

50. RHippy says:

They’ve left it just long enough for me to have forgotten about the confirmation email I had with the order number so it’s been deleted from my junk…. clever bastards.

Comment on this story