WIN: Core i7 Processor, Via Codies & Intel

By Jim Rossignol on November 25th, 2009 at 9:24 am.

Intel have supplied a rather splendid chip for one lucky RPS reader to build their next PC around. And that’s not all. Those splendid fellows at Codemasters are giving away a whole bunch of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising goodies too. Read on for complete details of what you can win, how to enter, and other relevant details.

So here’s the lowdown:

1st Prize

Intel core i7 Processor – And it’s this one. Which is quite the processor. We can’t supply the PC to go with it, but we’re certain you’ll figure that out.
OFPDR Official Strategy Guide (300 pages)
OFPDR T-Shirt
OFPDR Carbineer Flashlight (see picture below)
And a copy of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Two Runner-Up Prizes

OFPDR Official Strategy Guide
OFPDR T-Shirt
OFPDR Carbineer Flashlight (see picture below)
And a copy of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Pictures too!

To win you need to email us via this link with the answer to this question: War. What is it good for? The best answers, as judged by an RPS editor, will receive prizes. The closing date is midnight on the Friday 4th of December. This competition is open to readers in all territories.

Remember that we’ll need your postal address with your entry, and entry to the compo means agreeing to our terms and conditions. If you’re not happy sending us a postal address then don’t enter! We do not keep your details longer than six months, nor do we supply them to anyone, or use them for nefarious purposes. Only winning details will be passed on to the prize sponsor.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ben Abraham says:

Absolutely nothing. /competition.

2. Daedren says:

May the best man, woman or robot win!

Now, to decide whether you Brits like some cheeky humor for an answer or something that will make you cry.

3. Deerhoof says:

I’m going with cheeky humor that will make you cry.

4. Rob says:

Did anyone ever win the Ashes 09 compo?

5. Heliocentric says:

I’m sending a blank email, it will be an ironic rebuttal of war.

6. Subject 706 says:

Well the first prize is nice, the rest of them not so much…

• Lack_26 says:

I don’t know, the Dragon on the T-Shirt is nice and I rather like that torch.

7. Psyk says:

Hope you read all emails from the same email addy because I forgot my shipping info the first time :(

8. Gnoupi says:

And now I have the War song back in my head, thank you, Jim :P

9. Spd from Russia says:

I like the tee

10. Tunips says:

How interesting. The only people who could immediately use this chip are people who already have one. The i7 range uses a different motherboard socket to the trusty Core2 Quad. I suppose we could always build a small shrine to it in preparation of the eventual coming of the Big Upgrade.

• Baboonanza says:

This particular i7 uses a different mobo to the other i7s. It uses the same socket as the i5, so I guess someone (like me) could use it for an extremely minor upgrade.

LG1156 mobos are not as expensive as their X58 siblings though so you’re looking at £100 if you need one. Although you’d probably need new RAM too.

11. Mythrilfan says:

Is that a… pun flashlight?

• Baboonanza says:

Close. Really it should be pen light, ie a Flashpoint Pen.

12. dedmeet says:

the Spoils

13. Cheshire_Cat says:

I can’t e-mail. I click on the “via this link” link and it just pops up a little window that says “error” with “ok” button.

14. Malagate says:

Cheshire cat, try hovering above the link, should tell you the email address and subject line you need to enter the compo (it’s compo (at) rockpapershotgun (dot) com, subject is : Processor Envy).

15. Cheshire_Cat says:

It didn’t tell me the address when I hovered over it, but it just occurred to me I could have right clicked and hit ‘properties’ which would tell me.

Anyway, thanks, Malagate! :)

16. reindall says:

Meh, I haven’t really bothered to think of a witty answer, I just wrote what I actually think about it. So, the chances of winning anything are low :-p

17. jon_hill987 says:

I’m trying to work out if that chip is better or worse than the 920 I have already got, it matters not though as the socket size is diferent…

• St4ud3 says:

From what I can see there’s not much of a difference between the two, so you would probably be better off sticking with your old one and selling then buy pretty new games with the money :D

I still have my old E6600, so this chip would be quite an upgrade :]

• Michael Hughes says:

920 has support for triple channel memory, which is useful for high-end rigs. I love my 920 with 6 GB of wicked fast 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. So fast.

18. Pijama says:

ALL TERRITORIES?

Well.

Erhm.

*cringes*

OKAY OKAY I WILL BE SENDING YOU AN ANSWER SHEESH

19. cullnean says:

better than my

AMD 64 3500+

thats for sure

20. Centy says:

Now I need to scour the internet for ways to win a 1156 mobo and some DDR3 and then rely on the infinite chances of winning them all hooray it’s a sure thing.

21. billy says:

actually it should be:

Absolutely nothing.
    Absolutely nothing.

(I said it again).

22. Mark says:

Would it be ironic if I won the game but couldn’t play it because I didn’t win the processor?

• pirate0r says:

Ironic would be winning the game and the processor but not owning a computer at all.

23. Adz says:

With the exception of tyranny, oppression, nazism, fascism, communism and slavery, absolutely nothing.
    Though we are working on getting terrorism added to the list.

Editors, add that to my entry email if you like it :p

24. LukeNukemTW says:

My entry is:

War and violence, both are not good, but are necessary. Violence is part of the nature of any animal as much as reproduction is. Violence is programmed in to keep population from going completely out of control. War, if anything, is now used to prevent too much violence. One war to kill a dictator (Adolf Hitler for example) is killing one thousand or more people to stop the killing of more than a million.

if somebody yoinks this, then I will reach through the internet and back hand you.

25. Robert says:

OFPDR is the ultimate simulation. It takes long time to win, and this is my best way to entertain myself with PC.

26. miked says:

Cool i’ve just stumbled across this!

27. nile says:

i have quad core so if i dont win i wont really mind

28. VanhA says:

Anyone calling this garbage under “sim” name should be stoned….

29. Cheshire_Cat says:

So when are the winners announced? Not trying to rush anything, just curious.

30. Jim Rossignol says:

I’ll sort winners out in the week, for this and the LOTRO compo.

31. CtGuy1955 says:

I never did learn who won anything. The day after I read that you were suppose to put a special title in the subject line…and when I go near the “Via this link” it only turns from blue to red and I just say copy and I was able to send it to the proper email. I would hate to think that I put in all that time and effort in my writing to not even be considered when I had my heart set on the number 3 position, only to not be considered because of a title in the subject line. I believe I did put War Contest or something like that.

Thanks/Mike K

32. Cheshire_Cat says:

Where do we go to see the winners and will we get a chance to read the top entries?

33. Sartoris says:

Have the gods declared the winners yet?

34. Edward Cox says:

undertaker’s business….

$$$$$

35. Cheshire_Cat says:

I’m not sure what that means, Edward. :P

It would be nice to hear *something*, though, even if it’s just to tell us that going over the entries is taking longer than expected and to give us a new date that it’s expected to be completed. We’re not impatient, we’re just anxious to find out who won! :D

36. CtGuy1955 says:

Wow, its Dec 17th and still no answer as to who won? I too would like to read the winning essays.

I will keep checking back, and I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and I hope that their holiday is filled with joy and well being.

Michael

37. Cheshire_Cat says:

For anyone foolishly still checking here for an update like I was, the results are here:

38. Ryan says:

well I”m not sure if this link is still valid.

but how about…….

War is good for the defense of nations.

If we were determined to disallow our own defense….we would be declaring war on ourselves.

It states quite clearly…in the most important text on this matter……

“There shall be wars and rumours of war throughout all time.”

Look it up….The Holy Bible.

39. Jaime says:

me too but its only good for banks the companies that are involved in the making of the goods, and countries to brainwash the people in believing its for a “cause”. To whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. Caesar once wrote.

40. RBG says:

looks like I was too late to enter but I sent it without realizing that and this is what I had to say…

What is war good for? That’s a question that many have tried to answer and many more have tried to justify.

War is not good for anything. Worldwide especially it seems In North America the popular mainstream culture seems to have an obsession with war, violence, etc without ever having expierienced or seeing it close up and therefore not understanding how valuable life is and what death means as well as to take a life.

Many people dont seem to understand and it always seemed weird to me too the concept of death. When you’re gone you’re gone but everything else keeps moving. You can’t discuss war without discussing death because the 2 go hand in hand.

I believe war is not good for anything, war only causes pain, death, and destruction and I can say that from personal expierience which I wouldn’t like to go into.

While there are many causes worth fighting and even dieing for the things that people put out today for example money, oil, profit are not things that are worth even raising a weapon for let alone fighting.

Things like freedom, self-determination, are worth fighting for but even then you can never “jump the gun” and not consider that everything has consequences.

War can be good for some people in a way if they make money off of it but for the average man like I said and as for humanity as a whole it is not good for anything whatsoever.

I dont know if I will win the contest and I dont think I really wrote this with that thought in mind I just wanted to express what I feel even though I dont think I can really express in words the full scope of what I feel or know.

If you read this email thank you for listening to what this young African man though aged by the world had to say.

Peace

41. crowTrobot says:

I have recieved my prize pack! Thank you RockPaperShotgun and Codemasters!
    I’ve posted my runner up entry on the results page for those interested.