Worth TUNING In For (Dies)

By John Walker on November 25th, 2009 at 8:54 am.

I love a trailer for an indie game that leaves me both completely bewildered, and absolutely intrigued. Those were my primary reactions when watching the preview of TUNING spotted via IndieGames. It’s by the consistently interesting Cactus-Soft (how could a sane person not love games with names like Ted’s Wet Adventure and God Came To The Cave?), and is an entrant to the 2010 IGF awards. TUNING seems to be a diversion from his scratchy hand-drawn style, and looks absolutely fascinating. See below.

, , , .

1. Davee says:

Whoa. What was that?

Looked alot like bouncy balls, mirrored playareas and boxes. Might be a bit to “game is art”-heavy for me though ;)

• Davee says:

And you deserve to die after such an elaborate pun, mr. Walker.

2. Testicular Torsion says:

I hate to slag on independent games, but this trailer doesn’t fill me with the same sort of childlike wonder. What I’m seeing here is a bunch of 3D objects bouncing around, sometimes rendered in aggravating Obscur-O-Vision. It’s not even clear what the gameplay is supposed to be — some sort of spinny bouncing-ball platformer?

3. ludr says:

Not quite sure what the gameplay is but digging the music.

4. Patrick says:

A few of those levels remind me of the 3d shadows of rotating 4d objects. Now that’s a brainhurter!

5. CMaster says:

So it’s a platformer made harder by crazy visuals, often to the point that you can’t see where you are jumping to until you actually jump?
    That doesn’t sound like much actual fun to me.

6. l1ddl3monkey says:

“Worth TUNING in for”

Oi, Walker; Get your coat and fahhhk orf mate :)

7. JW says:

This game is and looks great. You complete simple platform levels, but the difficulty comes with the different twisted ways you are forced to look at them.

8. UK_John says:

Instantly reminded me of spectrum games like Ant Attack! By Quicksilva, I believe!

9. Cooper says:

Cactus producing games in full 3D?

My world just imploded.

10. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Looks more like a demo

_Oh look, it’s “art” so it must be good_

11. Indagator says:

I am I the only one who wishes that “Indie Game” wasn’t necessarily synonymous with “Platformer?”

12. Waffles says:

Have you guys ever played a cactus game before? They’re hard and look crazy and have very simple premises. I would bet that this game uses the left and right arrows and one more button to jump, and that’s it. Just letting the level wrap itself around the character. Otherwise it looks like it would be impossible to accurately control.

13. DuBBle says:

Reminds me of the bonus level in the original Sonic where you had to collect the crystal at the centre of a revolving maze.

14. jph wacheski says:

Ha ha, you guys are to funny,. games as art! all games are art, like music and books, etc, are. Saying you don’t like games that are ‘artsy’ is just saying you don’t like a perticular art STYLE,. not likeing a style is like telling me you don’t perticularily care for my hat,. to that I would reply, ‘Fine then you don’t go and get one just like it.’

15. Coded One says:

Any game with “Cactus” written on it is a must play in my book. Of course, all I really play are independent games now-a-days.

An what’s with all the slamming against art games? It’s like as soon as a game tries to evoke an emotion that isn’t “let’s murder everything” everybody goes ape-shit. “Art” games are just another genre, I don’t see NEARLY as many people taking shits on racing games. I’m amazed by the closed-mindedness of (most) gamers. If you don’t like a particular genre, don’t play it. You can just say “Art really isn’t my style” and we’ll all get the point. No need to treat Art games as if they are made by lepers.

16. noggin says:

It looks bananas.

And hard.

Banardas.

17. Scorpi says:

This reminds me of my favourite non-PC indie game; it resembles a 3-D Bit.Trip game (specifically the latest, Void, but only in style, not play).

18. cactus says:

Hahaha, this is not (or at least I never intended it to be) an “art game”. It’s actually the first game I’ve made that my friends seem to really enjoy playing (they usually play games like Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead and Quake 3). But it’s not really up to me to decide what kind of game this is, so feel free to label it any way you feel like.

I’d say it’s a very different puzzle/platform/party game. It works really well to play together with a few people, even though it’s strictly single player.

19. Steve Swink says:

I recommend you all play it when he releases it. Then if you want to complain that it’s art-y or whatever nonsense you can at least attempt some intelligent criticism. Of all of Cactus’ games, Tuning is especially hard to put into a trailer.

It’s a structurally simple game about perception. The activity is the same in every level – platform the spinny ball thing from A to B – but in each level the ‘lense’ you see through is conceptually different. I don’t really know how to describe it past that other than to say it’s amazing and that everyone should play it.

And stop whining.

And be more open to new experiences.

Sheesh.

20. Sovietmudkipz says:

didn’t see what Jim saw.

21. dingo says:

Being on a LSD trip while watching someone playing Spindizzy results in such a game.

22. Peace of Eight says:

It’s a puzzle jumper. *Yawn* BTDT.

Next.