Section 8 DLC Falls To Earth

By Jim Rossignol on November 26th, 2009 at 8:08 pm.

The Section 8 forums have some info on the new DLC. It’s three new maps and ten achievements, which can be purchased in-game via the downloadable content menu. It’s 560MS points, which is around $7, which seems like a lot to me.

The Seek and Destroy Map Pack expands the Section 8 experience with three new maps for the Multiplayer and Instant Action game modes. Players fight for control of a geothermal energy plant on the salt flats of New Madrid in “Devil’s Backbone” and battle in the narrow confines of a hazardous valley on the planet Titan in “Hornet’s Nest.” “Azure Basin” is set high atop a mountain plateau where a massive hydroelectric dam sits astride the map, with combat ranging both inside and outside of the facility.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jonas says:

Ahem, I do believe that Titan is a moon, not a planet! For shame :P

2. Jim Rossignol says:

I think Section 8 is set in a far-away part of the galaxy.

3. Dariuss says:

Go back to Kohan Timegate, plz?

• Darth Nader says:

I think they’d actually like to make money this time.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

you know what darth nader. I’m convinced a 100x more people bought the kohan games over section8. I like this game, but seriously there are no one playing it.

4. bananaphone says:

Remember when new maps used to be free?

Ah, great days.

5. kwyjibo says:

How many people actually play this game? What’s the peek daily concurrent player count?

Given that I can’t find that figure, I’m assuming it’s pretty low. A non-free DLC pack is not the way to go. It’s rarely the right way to go even for a popular game, but for an unpopular one, it’s ridiculous.

It splits the community, with servers emptying when the DLC maps come in play. What this needs, is free DLC and free weekends.

• abhishek says:

There don’t seem to be any statistics about how many people are actually playing the game, even though the game’s official website does have a fairly comprehensive stat tracking system. The best I can come up with is the XFire stats page, and let’s just say it’s not pretty.

Of course, it’s not at all representative, but it doesn’t look good. It’s the ~500th most popular game their users are playing. 40 people played it in the last 24 hours…

monkehhh says:

Did a demo ever happen for the PC?

• Senethro says:

A beta happened, and it had good aspects and bad. Production values were generally good and many innovative features were present. However, the competition this year is far too strong for anything more than a £9.99 price for S8 and that only if you think the game is perfect for you.

There was enough good about it that I’ll be watching Timegates next game.

6. Alexander Norris says:

I’ll never understand why developers insist on splitting their community by monetising something as basic as maps.

It pretty much goes against all long-term term planning, but then again I suppose developers these days are only interested in making short-term money and the shorter a game’s shelf life, the better.

7. Malagate says:

Oh wow, this again, despite playing the beta I had totally forgotten it existed.
    Heck I’m surprised it’s actually out, let alone that it has DLC already. It’s a mix between me losing interest and game overload. For instance, how many of you remember the Risen reports that were being done? I almost forgot until I looked in my post history in the forums…and I really liked that game too, so something that’s not instantly grabbing for me doesn’t stand a chance of being noticed :(

8. kyrieee says:

I feel sorry for all the failed MP shooters. From what I heard this one was even quite decent

9. Hypocee says:

Not to harp on SP/MP, I hope, but a major bright spot in Section 8’s reviews was the strong bot support. And a dark spot was the GFWL MP infrastructure.

10. Leelad says:

General Grevious has piled on the pounds.

11. Psychopomp says:

You don’t generally need hundreds of people to keep chugging along. Shattered Horizons is keeping its head above water with ~150 active players.

12. mpk says:

I had a great time playing the beta of this but it never tickled my fancy enough to warrant me spending real actual money on it. It tried hard to be team oriented, but at the same time felt like a solo game. Or mibbe that’s just cos I was sniping from the far corners of the map…

13. Deecie says:

Unless you live somewhere like Australia :(

14. Deecie says:

ugh, that was supposed to be in reply to Psychopomp

15. Chaz says:

My problem with this game, is that there are too many other games out there that are offering this sort of thing up for free as their multiplayer gaming component. To ask top whack for a multiplayer only game, it’s got to be pretty damn amazing and feature rich, and whilst S8 isn’t bad, it’s not particularly special either and I didn’t think it was worth the money of a full stand alone game.

16. Shadow Aspect says:

Bought Section 8 shortly after it came out, and it’s fun, but I moved on to other games. Didn’t really hook me enough. If they do a promo discount on the mappack I might pick it up, to support the devs really.

17. ram says:

I guess this is great for newcomers who have ever played thrilling games. You can play shooting and mantling by an amazing way through everything in sight. It is well balanced, and runs smooth. I really like to enjoy the section 8.

18. l1ddl3monkey says:

I played the beta with my fellow RPS’ folk. I had fun for a few hours but wasn’t so impressed that I went out and bought it.

19. MinisterofDOOM says:

I’m not. Multiplayer-only shooters are the scum at the bottom of the trash bin’s personal trash bin’s dog’s poo pile. This game is an excellent example of some of the reasons for that. The other reasons are a lack of compelling reason to play, a lack of driving interest to make the initial investment to buy the game. Who wants to drop cash money on another generic game about shooting people when there’s a game over there in the corner with an actual story and setting and atmosphere and interesting qualities to give the gameplay a reason to be? Long ago I found myself hoping that the trend of multiplayer-only shooters would die. It has only gotten stronger.
    Multiplayer shooters seem to be advancing one of the worst trends in gaming right now: recyclability. No one buys multiplayer shooters with the intent of still playing them in 10 years. They buy them with the intent of playing them until the next sequel hits. That’s a bad mindset for both gamers as consumers and developers/publishers to fall into. The $7 map pack is just another part of that bad trend.

System Shock 2 is still fun today. In 10 years no one will even remember Section 8. THAT alone tells me which type of game I’d rather spend my money on.

• Psychopomp says:

“No one buys multiplayer shooters with the intent of still playing them in 10 years.”

Funny

Ten years later, people still play CS 1.6

Eleven years later, people still play Tribes

Thirteen years later, people still play TFC

Thirteen years later, people still play Quake

Sixteen years later, people still play Doom

Y’know, just to name a few.

• Vinraith says:

That should be “almost no one,” Psychopomp does an excellent job of providing the exceptions that basically prove the rule. Interesting side note, all of those exceptions are PC-only. Of course, their communities have also become small, insular, and insanely hardcore. I enjoyed Counterstrike in its day, but absolutely can’t imagine trying to play it now. For anyone that hasn’t been playing the game pretty much those ENTIRE 10 years the game is no longer really viable.

20. MinisterofDOOM says:

Blasted reply function did not work at all. That was meant to be a reply to kyrieee. Whoops.

21. Jesus says:

Um, Team Fortress 2?

22. MacBeth says:

Played the beta, enjoyed it. Bought the game cheap through Zavvi, but ended up getting it delivered late. Never actually installed it because despite generally liking it, I always wanted to play something else just that bit more. I fear it will never actually make it to the top of my list.

23. Mister Yuck says:

I still play Goldeneye…
    But really, how many games do you play 10 years on? Only classics like System Shock. I too really wish only classic games, worth playing decades later, would be released, but on my list of impossible wishes World Peace and a pet T-Rex still come first.

• Mister Yuck says:

That was meant as a reply to MinisterofDOOM and Vinraith. Damnable internets.

• Vinraith says:

The difference between a single player and a multiplayer game in this regard is simple: I decide which single player games are still worth playing years from now. I can’t control which multiplayer games will still have communities, though, so those which can still be played with people years from now may well not be those I wish I could play (and usually aren’t).

24. Spear_Wolf says:

Haha, I remember playing this game when it was in beta and how crappy it was. It costs 50 on PC from standard sellers (may be a bit cheaper depending on who you buy it from), so now this 7 dollar increase to give it a whopping three new maps makes it cost just as much as an Xbox 360 game. And then what about the people who DID buy the 360 one for 60? They’re paying nearly 70 now. What the hell? It’s so unfair. This game isn’t good enough to even THINK it has enough muscle to convince people it’s worth that much money.

25. Arctic_Wolf says:

I wasn’t really wowed with the Beta and recently learning the retail game only has 8 maps for a multiplayer focused FPS for 50 bucks feels kind of cheap.

If this pay addon added more than just maps, then adding a price tag would start to seem reasonable to me. I don’t know I may be a cheap bastard as it’s not like 7 bucks breaks the bank but it feels underhanded charging for something that is small but critical (more maps for a low map count game).

26. Dan says:

The game was dissapointing it wasnt long enough and not worth the money if the map pack was available free people may consider to buy the game. Not many games will i deem to be dissapointing but this one i felt was far to much for the amount of time it takes to complete the campaign and get bored of the standard maps.