Blue Woman Group: ME2 Reveals Samara

By John Walker on December 1st, 2009 at 9:35 pm.

Once again I rebelliously don't illustrate the story with a pic of the character. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME PLAY BY YOUR RULES.

Oh, tish and fipsy, my prediction for an unannounced new companion for Mass Effect 2 isn’t today’s. I’m telling you, one of the companions – and now I reckon it will be the last one revealed – is going to be a Geth called Legion. I base this purely on my own vivid imagination, rather than scurrilous industry rumouring. Oh, and all the images from the game’s official gallery – a game in which the Geth are supposed to only play a minor role. But today we get to meet super-biotic Asari, Samara. Which is frankly going to get confusing, as my Shepard is called Samantha.

She is indeed a second Asari buddy for Shepard. The previous blue-headed friend being Liara T’Soni, one of the first game’s characters with whom you could have grown up cuddles, much to the horror and disgust of a confused puritan press. Unlike goody-two-shoes Liara, Samara is a “lawless vigilante”, with some absolutely kick-ass abilities as shown off in the video below. And as such she fits the profile of the sorts you’re after in your battle against the Collectors that frames the second chapter of the trilogy.

But you know what? I’m getting pretty suspicious. I’d like to be a trusting fellow, but I think BioWare might be playing us a bit here. (If you’re avoiding BioWare’s released details, then skip this paragraph.) Back before the summer it was all, “Shepard’s dead!” Then at E3 they showed a presentation in which they claimed to show us a giant spoiler involving all sorts of death. And now they’re revealing so much information about how Shepard is to gather this band of elite killers to fight the Collectors who are stealing colonies of Humans from all over the galaxy on behalf of the Reapers and turning them into Husks and beasts and on and on and on… I’m getting the feeling that this might be something of a bluff. That there’s something else going on behind all that. Cor, I hope so.

Any how, here’s something that isn’t my feverish speculation: COLD HARD TRAILER FACT:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Devan says:

Hmm, so any speculations that Samara is the recipient of Subject Zero’s quote “Who’s the badass biotic now, bitch?”.
    I don’t think I’ll have either of them in my party, but it would at least make for interesting story if they hated each other.

• skalpadda says:

I’d love some more outright conflicts between party members rather than just the odd snarky comment or some loose banter. We shall see.

2. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I’m telling you, one of the companions – and now I reckon it will be the last one revealed – is going to be a Geth.

Judging by the end of this trailer this trailer, they’ve pretty much already revealed it. If Legion isn’t a possible party member I’ll eat my space hat.

3. Alexander Norris says:

I played a game on Sunday. I sat around the TV with a bunch of friends, some wine and vodka and Zombies!!! and put on the Dead or Alive film. Every time there was cleavage on screen, you’d have to say “Tits!” The person who called it drank once, and everyone else drank twice. Needless to say, we were all rather coffee-makered by the end of the film.

Anyway, this seems like the most boring party member yet. The only thing she has going for her is, well…

Tits!

And they’re not particularly nice ones, at that. For one, they’re blue; for two, she looks sort of old and they look sort of fake. For three, that spandex really isn’t fetching.

• Pzykozis says:

Still better than Subject Zero then?

• Jeremy says:

Unrelated, but thank you for knowing the proper uses of than and then, and correctly forming them into a single sentence at the same time. All is not lost, except for those who use loose instead of lose.

The nice thing about this Samara is that you’ll probably be able to change her outfit pretty quick and thus hide such an erroneous use of side boobage. I immediately clothed Morrigan in some more fitting attire in DA, even at the cost of some stats, simply because… well… it’s ridiculous. If I can’t, I don’t expect I’ll use her all that often.

• CMaster says:

Jeremey – if it’s anything like ME 1, then any armour you put on her will magically develop a massive “shoot my heart” hole.
      Its kinda stupid, and as said, noone in ME wore anything like that.
      Eh, ME was alright but I was glad to get it for very little. At the end of the day it was a TPS with lots of talky bits rather than anything else. Would be nice if RPGs like this adapted a somewhat more “Deus Ex” angle to problem solving, rather than every problem being solved by wading through a linear big fight.

4. Carra says:

The force is strong in that one.

Now, where did I put my Mass Effect save game?…

5. Grey Cap says:

My money is on Shepard becoming the big bad in ME2. . . you’re tasked with hunting him/her down and bringing his/her severed head to the council.

6. Hoernchen says:

Ah yes, finally, kotor 3 effect thingy.

7. Funky Badger says:

Interior, pneumatic, side-boob!

Marvellous.

8. Nighthood says:

What has gone wrong with Bioware’s marketing department? Nothing interesting happened in that trailer at all, from the uneventful music to the dull action. I love Mass Effect and will no doubt love this, but I’m beginning to think ignoring these trailers altogether is the best way to go.

• Nerd Rage says:

You weren’t convinced of that by Dragon Age? I’m fairly convinced marketing is the obvious line where Bioware merges with the EA Collective.

9. Gabanski83 says:

Plus why do BioWare seem to do the Star Trek thing where most aliens could easily be a normal human in a suit or with dodgy make-up applied? I want some proper exotic aliens in games, not somebody in blue facepaint.

• Funky Badger says:

Solaris: the computer game. Maybe Ice Pick lodge could make it, but I doubt anyone else could.

Hmmm, hang on. That’s a bloody great idea… (although Fiasco > Eden > Solaris)

• Trithemius says:

The reason is that Bioware loves the tedious romance subplot* hard, and it’s hard to do “maximum cuddles” with a telepathic slime-mold from Ganymede.

Or icky, at least.

(* come on, it makes Twilight seem like inspired drama…)

• Funky Badger says:

Simply put: alien psychologies – never mind physiologies – don’t fit into human (Campbellian) fables as they’re, well, alien. Meeting a genuinely alien intelligence should lead to mostly scratching one’s head and saying “Whut?” – which probably isn’t the most fun…

• Lilliput King says:

“it’s hard to do “maximum cuddles” with a telepathic slime-mold from Ganymede.”

Sure, with that attitude.

• Sagan says:

Clearly every fantasy setting needs a species that is just like humans except everyone is really beautiful. (Elves, Twi’lek, Asari, Vampires)
      Also clearly every species needs to be able to wield human weapons, so they at least need arms and hands. Once you have arms, there aren’t a lot of possible body-types you can use. You can either go the centaur route, (which just looks ridiculous) or you can go the “clearly descendant from monkeys, but with stuff glued to their face” route, which looks slightly less ridiculous. The third possibility I can think of is the cephalopod route, but those are icky and probably very hard to animate smoothly and believably. And how would you justify a cephalopod using just one weapon?
      Also I imagine animating other species to show emotion is rather difficult. Disney does it by putting a lot of effort into their animals’ faces, which wasn’t possible until a short time ago in computer-technology.
      And we know how to make human-like characters look stylish, stupid, lazy, sexy or whichever other attribute we want to give him or her.

So yeah unless you are reading a book, you can pretty much expect all aliens to be descendants from the common earth-ape.

• Serph says:

That is not an excuse! If Pixar is able to make a robot called Wall-E show a full range of emotions, then Bioware is easily able to make a non-human-looking alien emotional as well. What I don’t get is why the Asari are explained as aliens when they could easily be mutant humans with enhanced biotic powers and still make sense, without the stupid tentacle hair. I think that, just as in Avatar, they’re not really willing to take risks like, say, making the aliens look more like the District 9 prawns, or quadruped, or something weird like those energy jellyfish things.

• Eplekongen says:

I absolutely agree about the cleavage thing, I actually made a post about it below, before I saw it discussed here. But feel foolish to copy/paste it here.

The aliens like humans thing, well, if you are going to make real aliens, then you CAN’T do what Pixar does. Pixar puts human facial expressions and body language on non-human creatures. Real aliens would have to have their completely own expressions, and you would have to, during the course of the game, train the player to be able to not only understand these expressions, but actually respond to them emotionally. This is something humans learn in infancy, over the course of years, at a time where our minds are specifically primed to learn such things. Doing that for characters you are supposed to relate to can almost only be used for comical effect, like the Elcor. Or to point out the depressing fact/social critic that we can’t understand each other.

• Subject 706 says:

Agree about the cleavage and agree about the aliens.

Did the same thing with Morrigan. Her standard outfit was a tad bit too ridiculous.

Mass Effects aliens are usually boringly anthropomorphic, but there were exceptions, that you could not recruit of course. The only game I can think of that actually depicted aliens as alien, was Ascendancy. If Mass Effect used those aliens…let’s say it would make for weird but cool gameplay :)

• Funky Badger says:

Serph: creating an alien alien then anthropomorphising it makes absolutely no sense – you’re better off saving time and effort and writing better arcs for the klingons/elves etc.

10. Lilliput King says:

Mass Effect sure had some wacky ones, like the Big Stupid Jellyfish.

Just you couldn’t get any of the interesting ones in your party, felt like a missed opportunity.

11. Anonymous says:

As my fellow anonymous once said regarding this trailer….

“By the code I will serve you Shepard”

“Your wishes are my code”

“Slurp slurpppp… slurrpslurpslurrrrp…slurp… gulp”

+10 Renegade

12. Jeremy says:

Well, at least it’s not Marilyn Manson, that’s a huge step in that right direction.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t say the trailers are doing a bad job at all, the character spots are really just there to show a small portion of each character and their abilities. I would say I have a fairly good idea of what to expect of the characters so far, outside of the more specific story related things obviously. On top of that, it’s pretty easy to have a general idea of what the story is going to be about as a whole, again without too many specifics. All in all, BioWare has peaked my interest way more than I thought possible with Mass Effect 2, and it’s quickly becoming a must buy for me. I thought Mass Effect was a pretty good game, but this looks to be a major step up in every possible way.

13. Lobotomist says:

I dont know about this one.

And anyway Subject Zero is the kick ass biotic bitch.
    So why should you take another one in the party ?

• jsutcliffe says:

Catfight?

That’s the problem with an expanded roster of potential characters — more opportunity for redundancy.

• Vitamin Powered says:

I get more of a religious sociopath vibe from this one. Possibly to round out the impressions we get of the Asari.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, that’s the feeling I’m getting too. Liara was very much the straight-faced, doe-eyed alien chick love interest, and that’s how the whole race was largely portrayed. This new girl is very different.

Also, if they’ve increased the number of skill trees (I assume they have – it’d only make sense) there’s probably a lot of difference between the two Asari Biotics in terms of skill loadouts. It’s like how Morrigan and Wynne were almost polar opposites in Dragon Age, unless you micromanaged them to the point of convergence.

14. Vitamin Powered says:

Bioware could of course be going for a “Empire Strikes Back” scenario, where the middle Mass Effect is the dark oppressive episode that builds everything up for the third instalment.

Given Bioware’s normal MO of the mid to late game plot twist / reveal, they could be leading us on by allowing us to expect an amazing twist, only to hit us with “Nope, you really are on a near impossible mission to stop this warship. Good luck!”

• Funky Badger says:

Maybe they’ve co-opted the plot of Foundation? Sheppard’s become insanely powerful, so the powers that be send him off on a hopless lost goose chase(?) half-way around the galaxy to keep him out of their hair, and away from political power. Uh, until of course, he looks like he’s going to win. At which point they stab him right in the back.

And not in a good way.

• Klaus says:

There is a good way of being stabbed in the back?

15. nine says:

Samantha Shepard? You cruel man.

16. Hulk Hogan says:

Freeze her in carbonite.

Why are half the characters in any given bioware rpg always this bad? Is it to make the other half look better? Like you need a Carth to make your HK really shine. An Imoen and Aerie so people can more appreciate your Minsc and Saravok.? Why are most of the characters in bioware games who end up permanently dying are also the ones I end up liking? I think it’s because they aren’t developed well enough for them to become hate-worthy.

OH YAH PROJEK’ ZERO SHEZ DA’ BITCH WIF MAJIK’ POWERZ SHE DON’ NEED A SHOTTA SHE GOT MAJIK SHOTTA WIF ‘ER MIND!

BIG BLU ALIEN TITZ SHE MAJIK POWERZ TOO AN’ BIG NIPZ

BITCHZ WIF ‘TUDE

LIKE THE GUY WHO WROTE DIS EX GIRLFRENDZ

DAVID GAYDAR OR SOMETHIN’

Well, atleast there doesn’t seem to be a “cute” annoying creature yet, Deekin got on my nerves with his third person mannerism and inability to say “I” rather then “Me”.

• Wulf says:

This is my problem with Bioware as it is now, it’s pop culture writing. Basically, it reads like a cheap “romance” (read as: as adult as it could be whilst keeping it saleable) novel that you’d pick up at an airport’s gift shop, as opposed to… you know, ANY other kind of book.

I’m half expecting to see a scene where Shepherd is in some kind of high-tech stasis field which stops him doing anything other than thinking (those thoughts interpreted via a machine in a cold, monotone voice) and–no, wait, what am I thinking? That’s a bit too creative. Okay, I’m half expecting to see a scene where Shepherd is in chains — high-tech, glowy chains … because it’s the future! — before the council and as he’s dragged off, he screams plaintively:

THROW A NIGGAH A BONE, YO!

• Wulf says:

For the record, yes, I am implying that Bioware’s writing is worse than even Twilight’s.

17. Günter says:

No, that’s not an indication of getting old. I can’t legally drink yet, and all this means to me is that it’s going to be a tad awkward when my parents walk into the room to the Crazy Biotic Bitch and Super Side-Boob Blue Alien Lady.

18. Günter says:

Gah, the reply button malfunctioned. That was meant to be in reply to Gabanski saying “Am I getting old when ludicrous cleavage in a trailer puts me right off wanting to know any more about a game?”

19. 1stGear says:

Oh good. 10 party members. I look forward to only being able to take two of them along at a time.

• cjlr says:

Don’t we all, friend. Don’t we all. I guess you could, um, try to think of it as replay value?

But seriously. Too many party members (thus forcing the exclusion of most) is about the only thing more annoying than endgame-only party members.

20. Eplekongen says:

I could do with less cleavage. We now have two characters that sports body armor (you know, for getting shot at) with cleavage, and one that doesn’t sport any armor at all… and a string bikini top, you know, just in case someone shots her.

“She has a weak spot!”
    “Where?”
    “Her torso, you know, the part that is easiest to hit!”

• Klaus says:

If we start traveling down the realism route, then most games will need a major overhaul. In most games I should be able to shoot/stab people in the face and kill them, outside of the specially scripted cutscenes. I don’t expect her torso to be anymore of a weak-point than her un-helmeted face. There has to be some concessions.

With that said, I would prefer her having some sort of uniform like Ashley in ME1. I suppose either way is fine with me. As long as they aren’t covered, head-to-toe in armor or wearing string.

• Eplekongen says:

Oh, it’s not lack of realism that is my problem with it. That would be silly in such a game. My concern is about taste. Given, we all have different tastes, but in my case, I much more enjoy a normally dressed woman than the “boob about to fall out” one.

Also, Mass Effect 1 didn’t have scantily clad women running into battle, and I liked that a lot more. It’s an RPG (of sorts) and I find it hard to relate to companions that dress like idiots. Because thats what the game is telling me, “this person dress like an idiot”. ME1 did a good job of it, woman going into battle had as much armor as the men, and this is a pretty obvious change to the game, and it just shows a degrading of maturity at BioWare. ME1 was a step forward in maturity, and now they take a step back, wich makes the step back more like two steps.

And I understand the sales value of it, it would just be nice if they didn’t, you know?

• Eplekongen says:

Also this would not look even half as awesome if she had a giant cleavage.

21. Klaus says:

I don’t get all the Minsc love. Sure, I liked him well enough but after about two quests I dump his crazy ass back at the pub. His niche gets very old, very quickly. Just like that bastard, Haer’Dalis.
    “Oh squirrels! Quick Boo, throw nuts!”

Anyway, I don’t mind this. or badass bitch. These games need a gamut of characters, from blank slates like this woman to badass bitches. So people can add who they want and leave undesirables at camp, or on the ship. I’m looking at you, Liara! And Bastila! And Disciple guy!

I liked Carth. He’s Carth!

I was somewhat of a weeaboo before playing Baldur’s Gate and such, so these boobies aren’t so bad. I am used to bigger and more revealing. She will likely be covered up anyhow, as I imagine her default armor is crap. I don’t even notice Morrigan’s side boobage anymore.

22. Pantsman says:

Fantastic! I’m going to roll a femShep and have Samara and Zero in my party. Mass Effect X-2!

23. Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

That blue woman is wearing armor I recognize, let me check my codex of pathetic marketing cliches to get the exact name and specifications. Ah, here we are:

The Armor of Cleavage
    -10 to taste
    +100 to 12 year old boy appeal
    “Who cares if it makes no sense, TITS!”

I’m no prude, but honestly, give me a fucking break. I’m so sick and tired of this notion that “WOMAN + ARMOR = HALF-NAKED, AMIRITE GUYS?” Maybe it’s all part of the “edgy” theme Bioware is going for in their XTREME sequel to Mass Effect, or maybe it’s just shitty marketing making a most likely great game look like a large pile of shit with blue tits.

Anyway I don’t want to start ranting, ME2 looks great, despite the trailers, and January can’t come soon enough.

• cjlr says:

Clearly, you are unacquainted with the following age-old theorem:
      P = k / A^2 + TC;
      where P is protection granted, A is the surface area of the armour in question [A > 1], k is a coefficient dependent on the armour material, C is some constant representing the general tastefulness of the universe in question, and T represents titties. Thus, protection is inversely related to coverage.

The key phrase you came up with was, “looks great despite the trailers”; I think we all had/have similar thoughts regrading good ol’ Dragon Age. An abortion of a marketing campaign, but in the end, a middling to excellent game.

• Tei says:

Blue women? what blue women? are RPS antropormizing aliens?

No one here can claim to be xenobiologist. Maybe tits on this alien race are a male trait. So he can be a dude.

24. Stick says:

Call me crazy, but after the first couple of lines, I expected her to go all “There cannot be two skies.”

(*Know* what I mean?)

25. GRIMDARK says:

What was wrong with the old companions?

26. K says:

…they are old?

Well that’s what BioWare thinks is wrong with them. More likely the truth is nothing is wrong with them, it’s just when faced with the option of going with the new or the old and not being able to have your cake and eat it too, BioWare chose the “hippest” option available.

Like people have said there seems to be this image BioWare wants to present of itself and having sex with the same blue alien two games in a row is just so uncool.

27. sigma83 says:

Um.

Why… are the breasts such a big deal?

Let the NPCs dress however the NPCs wanna dress. It’s their choice.

• MultiVaC says:

Actually, NPCs are not human beings and are incapable of making any kind of choice on their own. It’s more of a game designer making a choice that makes no sense in the game’s fiction, and makes the game come across as a immature, misogynist fantasy for 13 year old boys.

• Taillefer says:

Do you have something against NPC rights?
      Incapable of thinking for themselves, indeed.

• Tei says:

You can program NPC’s to “autoequip” gear. Say, you pick a new plate armor helmet, and the NPC on the party that uses full plate armor autoequiping it based on the quality of such helmet. It will probably be programed with a bias for items with more armor over these with props (x%fire protection). If NPC’s can have preferences to use power X over other powers, why not preferences on gear?.

• Nick says:

Enjoying the female form =/= mysogynistic, immature or lacking in judgment it may be, but that wor gets bandied about a bit too much.

28. Spacegirl says:

of all the things that sucked about getting my 360 stolen, losing Mass Effect 2 has been the worst. At the time my PC wasn’t up to snuff to run it.

(bear in mind I have had a cousin’s PS3 at my house and the 2 console specific games I wanted to play the most recently are Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank so the overall shittiness of having the 360 stolen was somewhat alleviated by that.)

So yeh, freaking sucks. Is there gonna be some thing at the beginning where I can make all the same story choices? I don’t really care about having the same type of character exactly. I was the Shotgun class but who knows what I’ll do in this one.

• Spacegirl says:

ugh I meant my Mass Effect 1 save blast-it!!

• The Sombrero Kid says:

nah there’s a cannon story that gets picked if you don’t have a me1 save, which is slightly worrying because you’d think they’d put more effort into that starting point i.e. people died in 1 in the cannon path they might not get a lot of screen time in me2, it’s good though that in me2 you meet all your party members that survived the first, even if you don’t get to recruit them.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

i agree that i don’t want the slushy teenage melodrama in my sci fi or fantasy epic, and it’s always pissed me off, until playing dragon age, where i realised it’s entirely optional.
      I can play through the game without any of the characters coming on to me, i played mass effect this way too and the only way i know that you can do these things is by word of mouth, now i think it’s good that you can customise your experience in this way, although i don’t want to and don’t imagine very many people want to, this is something that can’t be achieved in a film imagine being able to cut the sloppy love story out of action films!

29. MinisterofDOOM says:

Bioware’s marketing people have questionable taste all around if you ask me. The marketing for the first Mass Effect was so bad it turned me off from the game completely. I didn’t discover what I was missing until much later when I saw a friend playing the PC port. The DA:O Marketing was equally repulsive. It made me LESS interested in the game. The ME2 marketing is having the same effect. Everything from cover art (in all it’s variations) to trailers to screenshots…all of it is negatively impacting my view of the game. I have to keep reminding myself how much I enjoyed Mass Effect to overcome the taint the marketing has cast on the series.

I agree on the cleavage comment. I am a guy, and I love boobs. But videogames have a long history of bad games selling themselves with boobs, so the prominent use of them in marketing has gained a very negative connotation. If I did not know better, I’d have thought Mass Effect and Dragon Age to be nothing more than B-games. It seems like they just don’t know where to draw the line. The presentation DRIPS camp. And there’s no focus on the things that actually make these games fantastic. Bioware avoids actual GAME content to focus on campy drama and uninteresting cutscenes. They have it completely backward.

Bioware reminds me of J.J. Abrams in their obsession with juvenile awkward “romance” and relationships. I think they honestly do not realize none of us care about that crap. None of us were “moved” by the romance between Shepard and Liara. We just waded through it so we could see some blue sideboob. Which is a pretty sad commentary on it if you ask me.

30. Hunam says:

This game is going to be full of teen angst and partial boob.

31. Owen says:

Oh what a surprise, she’s sporting some massive jugs. *is not surprised*

32. Lilliput King says:

“The DA:O Marketing was equally repulsive. It made me LESS interested in the game.”

Yeah, significantly. Same for this, mostly, although the ME 2 promo stuff is significantly better than the NEW SHIT.

I don’t know if it’s just EA being mad or what. Someone needs to tell them, though.

33. Robert says:

I didn’t care much about this trailers, but that might be because I hardly ever watch trailers. Spoilers, bah! Can’t say I’ve ever been bothered or hyped by the majority of the marketing. (except for the pants-peeing awesomeness of the SW MMO cinematic) I’m fine and dandy with some screenshots, previews from writers I ‘trust’ and previous experiences – I mindlessly buy Bioware games.

‘Long’ story short. I don’t understand all the anger and ‘disappointment’.

34. Hunam says:

Basically, if you haven’t seen anything of ME2 then when you buy the game hoping it’s not about angry and oversexualised characters, you may have bought the wrong game. No doubt it will be excellent but Bioware just seem to want to appeal to the most base elements of the videogame base.

35. RHippy says:

Is this some kind of side-effect of multi-platform releases?

Maybe they should make a clearer distinction between the action and mandatory partial tit-views on consoles and the deeper RPG stuff with optional levels of uncanny valley smut for PCs? No point pretending that we wouldn’t want the option… everyone would check it out at least once, before shuddering and recoiling in terror.

It could just be time for Bioware to kill their marketing people and get some new ones in that are a bit more symapthetic to the product.

36. Frosty says:

Man, when did we all become such cynics and worried about everything? A blue lady shows she has boobs and everyone and their dog gets into a argument as to whether it means Bioware are immature and stupid or whether the Asari race are boring or stupid.

Bah. Who remembers how much fun Mass Effect was? Who thinks that this game is also going to be fun and brilliant and for the supposedly simple ones amongst us (this includes me) a rather engaging and enjoyable story and wank scene?

Comment on this story