New Version Subversion Bad JPG-Conversion

By Kieron Gillen on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:01 pm.

I iz poetz

Nothing much to add to this, but wanted to show it. Earlier, Introversion twittered a recent shot of Subversion. You’ll see it above, fucked up a bit by our JPGing and expanding of it. Go see the original here. It’s looks both quintessentially Introversion and as beguiling as ever. My money’s still on something Neuromancer-y.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Skyvik says:

Looks almost like Strafe Left the game

2. Wooly says:

I (mis?)read that title as “Bad JRPG-Conversation”

• Sam says:

Second.

• Gap Gen says:

Ah, I wondered why they looked near-identical. I was expecting a Darwinian with giant spiky hair lining up politely to fight a virus for a minute.

• westyfield says:

Same. I was really worried for a few seconds, before realising.

3. pirate0r says:

I’ve been watching this for a LONG time on their dev blog but then they stopped updating it. More please

4. Wisq says:

Even the original JPEG was pretty messed up if you look closely. Expanding it probably just revealed all the old artefacts, just as much as re-converting it created new ones.

With all the cel shading, it probably would’ve been better as an 8-bit PNG … but we’ll never know, because all the JPEG artefacts have added enough complexity that you can’t achieve good PNG compression any more.

5. CMaster says:

I’ve for a long while suggested that Subversion is a terrorist/anarchist simulator sort of thing. Best analogy I could find was the Panther Modern raid on Sense/Net in Neuromancer. When I mentioned this to Chris + Mark at Eurogamer, they wouldn’t confirm much, but said that a Neuromancer feel was the sort of thing they were after.

6. stormbringer951 says:

Wicked. Introversion games have always been awesome, and Subversion looks no different. I hope they put out an offer pack of Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON and Subversion sometime soon.

7. duel says:

ahh cool, Introversion has a twitter, and now im a follower ; )

8. guisim says:

Can’t wait for the sequel, Mercurial.

9. Zerai says:

I see computers, and i see servers

I remember an explanation of how doors would work, and how one could interfere with them

I think a hacking game with “real” world consequences is what we have here, and that, is WIN

• Bhazor says:

With the name and a randomly generated city I’m expecting a Republic:The Revolution style thing. But hopefully with more whizz bang fun and done in Introversion’s lovely jubbly neon retro presentation style.

10. Heliocentric says:

No idea whats going on. But lets have at it.

Darwinia and Uplink both fired up strong emotions with extremely limited pool of focus. So while i don’t mind the limited graphical style in the slightest i do wonder if this move to full 3d world will produce the same effect.

11. Mike says:

Looks like the internal building generation has got a lot better.

12. Spacewalk says:

I think that it would be ace if they injected a bit of Cholo into it. I see that screenshot and I imagine being able to wander around a large city taking over other characters so you can accomplish a larger goal and I just get incredibly excited. ‘course, I am terrible at predicting how games turn out but it’s nice to imagine things.

13. TheSombreroKid says:

mmm looks delicious, i’ll definatly be getting this, i have a lot of faith.

14. Caiman says:

Every time I see the name Subversion, I want to cast a spell at a Golden Dragon to make it mine.

• Taillefer says:

It’s probably an illusion.

• Tei says:

Wen I see surversion, I think on a source code control/revision system. The game sould be renamed git.

15. Railick says:

Isn’t this going to be a 3d version of Liberal Crime Squad ? :P

16. SH4RKY says:

I love introversion games, but this one slipped past me… umm whats the concept of this one? Last time i saw it was an image of a city scape from above… this is slightly different.

• TeeJay says:

I think it’s a kind of a blue-sky/”in-development” thing where they have been playing around with various ideas, for example, one part was using clever techniques/mathematics to create city-scapes. Another part is about constructing machines/systems in-game from smaller logic-gate like units and wires.

They have been keeping a “developers blog” describing bits and pieces: http://www.introversion.co.uk/subversion/

…also a bit of stuff on their forums: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/

17. Da'Jobat says:

I’m so incredibly excited about Subversion. Hoping for a Neuromancer/Snow Crash-esque game, possibly mixed with syndicate and incredible machines or Hitman.

• Heliocentric says:

I’m hoping for far cry meets settlers 2 meets monkey island.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Doom meets Transport Tycoon Deluxe meets Sonic The Hedgehog would be much better!

18. reginald says:

I love a good Sense/Net

19. tapanister says:

Looks way to clean to be Neuromancer-y imo.

20. tapanister says:

*too

21. Gpig says:

I’m hoping for Doom meets Finnegan’s Wake, with elements of Final Fantasy and Hentai games

22. MacD says:

Shadowrun. Or something like it; preferably a multiplayer industrial espionage game.

Well, I can dream, can’t I?

23. slaine says:

Surely the next one would be called GIT.

24. Shadowcat says:

That depends. If it’s a prequel, it would be CVS.

Git would probably be considered more of a spin-off, in any case.

25. jon_hill987 says:

And this children is why I nearly always use .png.

• jon_hill987 says:

Damn, forgot the comma.

• Tei says:

You can also use JPG with quality set to 100%, to avoid pixel artifacts. It will probably ruin the color deep of black areas, but It will still looks like the original.

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s still a format that’s lossier than PNG, regardless of how high you crank the quality slider.

• Tei says:

The idea is to give files that people that only have IE on his computer on a very old windows can open. There are people that will not know how to open a PNG file.
      Hell.. probably most people have problems using PNG with some popular versions of Microsoft Word. JPG is lossy, but has still much more compatible software out here than PNG. PNG is what professional or amateur people will use. JPG is what you give to people that barelly know how to turn the computer on.

26. Knark says:

Maybe this allows you to fly through a subversion repository, I’ve always wondered what they look like.

27. Tei says:

Uh.. everyone has already done the joke about GIT and SVN. note to self: I must read all the comments before posting.

*looks at the image*

It looks to me like a procedural room generator where you can see (and maybe target-pain?) the next rooms you will visit. If else.. It looks like a Introversion game, so… here.. I suppose thats was intended, as a thing intended, is a sucess :-)

28. Ffitz says:

Cholo. Such a strong impression of Cholo from that picture. I wonder why that is.

God, that was a long time ago. I’m so old now.

29. LionsPhil says:

NO. JPEG quality 100% is NOT lossless. It will ALWAYS lose colour resolution relative to brightness resolution (chosen because JPEG is a perceptual encoding, like MP3, so it throws things away based on human senses). This is not controlled by the quality setting.

• Tei says:

Indeed. No one is telling anything different.

• LionsPhil says:

You are telling people to use it in preference to PNG, however, which is complete nonsense. Internet Explorer has supported PNG since version 4. Even some hypothetical person still running first-edition Windows 98 will have at least this version. You may as well say “don’t use CSS”, which has even worse historical support (Netscape 4, anybody?).

• Tei says:

Nope. I say that If you are forced for some reason to use JPG. You can still send something that don’t look like crap zoomed, If you save using 100% quality. I say that some information will be lost, probably mostly about color.1) Repeat: I say that some information will be lost. 2) Goto 1.

30. Lucas says:

This isn’t Slashdot you git.

31. Wowza says:

And here I thought Introversion went out of business. How long can Dar/Multiwinia and DEFCON sustain them? Do the last of the bedroom programmers have day jobs now?

Subversion tech looks impressive as ever but what’s been going on with it? How far along is it?