Who Let The Blogs (Post About) Saut?

By Kieron Gillen on December 2nd, 2009 at 8:10 pm.

I need to be beaten up by men with clubs for that pun.

I totally found this game for myself. I didn’t find it on IndieGames and I definitely am not claiming I didn’t find it there because Michael IndieGames corrected me again! The bast! Whose Bast!-esque qualities don’t effect the fact I found this game entirely by myself and not on Indiegames. Anyway, Saut is a post-Canabalt atmospheric one-button indie-game. However, rather than careening along madly with only a jump to save you, here you only progress when you jump. It’s a little trial and error for my tastes – and my space button is shit at this sort of multiple presses – but I think it’s pretty neat. Footage follows…

Though it’s a play through of the whole game, so probably is only gonna hurt you. Just go play!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. KilgoreTrout XL says:

It’s pretty fun (really difficult though).

It might take some time to get used to the camera- the way it follows you when you jump was a little tough on my eyes during my first couple of attempts.

2. Squirrelfanatic says:

I have to admit I couldn’t get past the first few screens. :) It is a bit too much trial & error in my opinion, since you just gotta know where you to have jump a short or wide distance in order not to get knocked down the next cliff. Alright for a one-button game.

3. Pace says:

What we really need is a year-end roundup of the best pun titles of the year. Seems a shame to let gems like this and my personal favorite, Drunk & Disdwarvely fade into history.

4. Tom says:

“and my space button is shit at this sort of multiple presses”

Good excuse…

My space button is fine, it’s just my brain, finger, etc. that are shit at this sort of multiple presses… I need these one-button games to add a second button that allows me to float gently to earth once in a while. Sort of a two-button game.

5. fishyjoes says:

I like the idea is cool, but these controlls make me crazy. You cant really make these “small jumps” as they tell you. So you find yourself often in positions where either the shortes or the longers jump will kill you.

Im willing to give it another try if they fix this :/

6. Ryx says:

I liked it.
    It lagged a bit for me so I didn’t want to keep going, got to around the green moving platform levels.
    I really like the music (i would like it more if it wasn’t compressed to all hell)
    It reminds me of the soundtrack to the original Playstation ‘Frogger’ game, which I still own.

7. PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, okay, that’s a bit too hard for me.

Too much trial-and-error indeed.

8. Alexander Norris says:

*hefts club*

You called?

9. El Stevo says:

Not the spacebar! It’s such a crappy key if you want something responsive like with platformers. And if it’s a one-button game you might as well just make it use the any key.

10. Bear says:

Reminds me of a less atmospheric and fun Knytt.
    How utterly dull.

11. Chiller says:

This is the kind of game I call the “fight the interface” type.
    Essentially, this type of game’s challenge is overcoming the quirky controls in an otherwise cliche environment.
    I never find them to be interesting, or good.
    Nice music, though.

12. Mike says:

Jazzy soundtrack is nice. Thing is, it’s a game where it’s possible to checkmate yourself (i.e. be too close to a gap to miss it, regardless of how you jump). Which isn’t so fun. Nice idea, though.

13. Tom says:

Canabalt is better

14. Frank says:

lagsalot

15. Pope Guilty says:

Avast claims that that’s “Win32:Delf-MZG [Trj]“.

16. nvis says:

Apparently someone at Avast messed up, and the newest database gives false positives on Delphi applications.

The game’s sliding mechanism could use some toning down – as it stands, I find it highly aggravating (and the fidgety soundtrack doesn’t help, either).

17. Big X says:

Not fun, far too much failure, and not in a good Trackmania kind of way

18. Paul says:

Pretty crap. Laggy as hell and just stupid mechanics.

Nice aesthetic though.

19. kyrieee says:

I got quite far in and I have to say that the controls are broken
    There’s no way to line up a jump. If you stop you often have no way of progressing. The only way I beat the later levels was by memorizing when to use short or long jumps

If the music was better then maybe…

20. Little Green Man says:

Utter rubbish in my opinion. Absolutely no fun to play, wh there is little difference between short and long jumps, the space key is crap anyway and you can’t rejump if you’re about to slide over an edge (even when I haven’t yet).

21. Gregg B says:

After 302 deaths I finished it. ‘t was difficult but strangely addictive. I loved the music and the satisfaction of super-humanly pulling off a short succession of tough tiny jumps is what it’s all about.

Tough Tiny Jumps FTW.

22. fearian says:

492

FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO.

I can’t believe I finished that! very nice I thought.