Quake III Is All Growed Up

By Alec Meer on December 3rd, 2009 at 10:04 pm.

Ten years. Ten piggin’ years. And still no-one’s topped Quake III: Arena in terms of raw, pure deathmatch FPS solidity and grace. Id’s last great game turned a full decade old yesterday – even though it was born into an era of Voodoo 2s and 15″ CRT monitors, it’s fearsomely alive to this day. Frankly, it’s not going anywhere any time soon – it lives on both in its original form and as the free-to-play, browser-based Quake Live. And also in an endless legion of mods, modders, maps and lifelong gamers, all inspired by the precise majesty of its high-speed bloodshed. Gentlethings and ladycreatures, yesterday was our Thanksgiving.

Sniff. You have given us so much, old man.

You lot: it is your duty to share your finest Quake III memories below. Mine is playing a charity match of Q3DM17 (a fine, fine map whose cuboid-insect shape will forever be burned into my brain) a few years back – the winner was the first to score 999 kills, all within a single match, with no breaks. That was me. That said, by about the 750 frags mark, everyone else was so achingly desperate for these hours of sustained fury, concentration and cathode ray abuse to end that they were basically lining up to be killed to speed the process along, so I don’t feel as though I truly earned every one of those kills. But I’m still proud. It destroyed my mind for the next couple of days, a sort of fraglag, but, in terms of the curious satisfaction that comes with mastery of electronic worlds, it was well worth it.

I’m not a particularly great Quake player in the grand scheme of things, but during the couple of months around that time – hour-long duels every lunchtime, followed by two-hour duels come the end of each working day – I was comfortably the best I’ve ever been and ever will be at any multiplayer FPS. Hell, probably at any videogame. If dark magicks allowed Me Now to play against Me Then, I’d be absolutely demolished. It was a time when I could truly say I was skilled at a game, and frankly there aren’t many of them. I don’t think that could have happened in any game other than Q3A.

, , .

1. butler` says:

I kinda fear for the FPS genre as a whole tbh. I can’t see another Q3A or CS1.x with as much competitive clout and solidarity coming out… well, ever.

I suppose it’s just a niche that no one really cares about.

• Pantsman says:

Either that or it’s just been perfected by UT99 Q3A and CS1.x, saturating the market and making further entries redundant. I think hoping for another FPS like them is kinda like hoping for another game like football, and saying that since there aren’t any forthcoming, it must be because people have lost interest in football.

• Butler` says:

when I said people, I meant developers

i.e. they’re unable to or scared to try and compete

2. SirWhat says:

999 red ba… frags? especially in twich shooter? thats like, 100 hours of cs.

3. kwyjibo says:

The purest and greatest deathmatch game of all time.

It’s a shame all the plebs went for the colours and whimsy of that Jack-of-all-Trades Unreal Tournament though.

• Joey says:

I’d still much rather play UT. Weapons and maps (especially ctf) were way better. Wish they made unreal live instead of quake, although I still do enjoy playing Quake Live. I actually have much fonder memories of playing quake 2 online.

• Kleevah says:

Instagib + Low gravity + Morpheus or Facing Worlds = Endless CTF-fun.

• Po0py says:

Unreal would always work better as a web game, imho. It’s more pick up and play, immediate, in your face fun rather than getting your arse handed to you by elite Quake Live players. I loved Unreal Tournament. There was so much more strategy to the regular deathmatch games than most people realize. Timing and controlling the power-ups was a skill that was hard to master but lethal when done right. Knowing when to jump right in the thick of it or hang back and spam from a distance with shock balls and flak. The most fun I’ve ever had with an FPS. Period.

• Jad says:

Good lord, Morpheus with instagib. The demo of UT was the first game that I played that kept detailed statistics of playtime. I played 50 hours of that demo, primarily on Morpheus. I remember thinking at the time that the number seemed large, but I had no frame of reference to tell if it was significantly more or less than other games. Now, I’m floored — I’m hesitant to pick up Dragon Age with its 50+ hours, and that’s a full game. 50 hours. On a demo.

Anyway, on to Quake III. I loved loved loved Quake 1/Quakeworld (that game I must have put several hundred hours into, thinking about it), but Quake III was different enough to not capture me in the same way, but not as different and new as UT.

However, I’m loving the existence of Quake Live. I don’t play it religiously, but I its so great that it’s in my bookmarks. I can sit down, open web browser, read email, and then … yeah, I’ll shoot some dudes for a couple of minutes. Twenty seconds later I’m in a game, getting my ass kicked and having a great time. Playing something like L4D or another multiplayer game is more of a commitment: start up Steam, start up the game, click through matchmaking/server browser, sit through lobby, load map, then an hour or more of gametime. QuakeLive: 20 seconds and you’re fragging. Most matches end in a couple of minutes. I love it.

As an aside, would anyone be really excited if id announced a QuakeWorld Live? I know I would.

• Uglycat says:

UT realised that there were more than 4 colours in the palatte…

• Hypocee says:

Boy I love UT. DM-Morpheus, Facing Worlds cat-and-mouse, the Redeemer…good times.

When I tried QIII (before UT), the movement felt skaty and difficult to judge, the jump useless, the weapons puny and undifferentiated, and the ‘BFG’ that fires little pew-pew snot balls got its own category for pure sacrilege. And then I uninstalled the demo, the end.

• BigJonno says:

I preferred UT as well. The weapons, levels and game modes were more interesting and the gameplay just felt better to me. Q3 always seemed too reliant on your reaction speed over everything else.

4. Schaulustiger says:

Ah, Quake 3… This game probably brings back more memories than any other game. Starting in 1999, it was my first true FPS love and I have played it for an unhealthy amount of time when I was in school. I’ve never been really on par with the pro’s but I can say that I enjoyed – and still enjoy – 1on1 Q3 as the most beautiful and most skilled form of competitive gaming.
    Nothing in the big, diversive world of gaming matches the beauty of a 15 minute one-on-one duel between two Q3 players who know what they’re doing. It’s a thrilling ride, a deadly dance of war, a battle of minds, it combines aiming, movement, strategy and psychology like no ther game before or after (yes, QW players will likely disagree). This is just my personal all-time favorite. Ship me to a lonely island and give me an internet connection and Q3 and I will be entertained for years and years to come.

If you have never witnessed a live GTV broadcast of a Quake 3 tournament you have missed the most intense and most exciting thing that competitive gaming has to offer. Despite being grown up and getting less and less “nerdy”, I get excited like the young adolescent I was back in 1999 when a Quake 3 (or recently a Quake Live) tourney is on air. Dropping names like ESWC, Clanbase Eurocup (the old ones), Geist and DJ Wheat gets me all nostalgic and makes me realize that the time when Q3 was at its peak (somewhere in the early 00′s) will sadly never come back. Still, I will remember players like stelam, toxic, czm or cooller for the rest of my life. Quake 3 has defined my view of multiplayer gaming and even gaming in general and I’ll never delete my copy of the game ever. Hell, I have copied my first installation of Q3 from hard drive to hard drive ever since it was released ten years ago, along with a collection of thousands of screenshots from my matches and over five gigabytes of demos.

Oh, and Q3 has – in my humble opinion – the best movie scene of all games. Check out some frag movies and watch the sheer beauty of deathmatch.

• whatever says:

never coming back? there was a Dreamhack tourney last weekend with people like cooller, av3k, fox, tox1c, etc…..

• Schaulustiger says:

@whatever:
      Yeah, but without GTV since the QL guys seem to not care about spectators and still have not implemented it. And nothing beats GTV + a great shoutcast + hanging on IRC. Besides that, Q3 in its prime time was… different. I guess it has alot to do with the scene surrounding it. Nowadays quake lovers (especially on ESReality) tend to be whiners and just behave too elitist for my taste. But yeah, the overall skill level is still rising and players like cypher, rapha or av3k are still kicking major ass. It just misses the look and feel of the old days. Bah, maybe it’s just me being nostalgic again…

5. Nobody Important says:

I still have my heart tore in two over Q3 and UT99. I love them both.

I’ve enjoyed OpenArena at many a LAN party. It’s not quite the same, but it’s enjoyable enough and close enough to Q3 to make sure I always win. My fondest memories are in that remake, mostly because I can’t remember too many before that. Memory failings.

• Polysynchronicity says:

>(I wish they’d take out the furry anime in OA, but nobody picks those characters anyway.)

I’ve seen them picked before… and they’re so satisfying to shoot. With rockets.

6. Tei says:

Quake3 was made Perfect for a type of deathmach, the original and pure type, with not RPG elements, not slow walkging, not militar simulation and all this “crap” that nowdays we need on our FPS games.
    Since tastes changed, no other game ever tried to beat Quake3. And I see not point, wen you have Quake3, theres not point creating another game that try the same thing, you can’t beat perfection. So, can we say time have passed? we have moved, but Quake3 is still Quake3.

• monchberter says:

I am sure Valve could churn out a modern spin of the ol’ DM style game that is Q3 and everyone and his dog would buy it AND it would be very very good. (Remember, they already made ‘Deathmatch Classic’ for the HL1 engine).

Solo DM an unfashionable genre of FPS as to the outside world it looks incredibly antisocial and pure nerd fuel (future gothic, gibs, railguns) they make team based FPS’s look practically the life and soul of the party in the sociability and wider acceptance stakes.

Anyway, happy birthday Q3.

• MD says:

A Valve-style ‘modern spin’ would almost certainly involve undermining what made Q3 great in the first place, though.

• MD says:

Everyone, please mentally substitude ‘undermine’ for ‘involve undermining’.

7. Sparvy says:

Even though I played some quake as they came out I didn’t do it much, when I finally got a connection good enough for games I quickly ended up with counter-strike. It wasn’t until years later (5-6 years after release) that I actually played it for real, mostly because some sneaky students managed to hide it on the school computers. That of course led to more play after school aswell, though unfortunately we played alot with some friends of a friend, who happend to have been some of the best quake players in the country.

But it defintely is a very good game, I remember thinking about the difference between counter strike and quake, constructing them in my head as the true archetypes of multiplayer FPSs. Counter strike with it’s delicate weapon handling and team based gameplay against Quakes movement and 360-degree reflex shooting.

Of course, then halo and call of duty came and shot both series out of the sky. There aren’t really any games being done like those anymore; no shooters with the speed and timing of quake, no shooters where the mere act of shooting straight is so hard and so rewarding as in Counter Strike. Luckily both games are still going strong 10 years later, its just suprising that no developer wondered why.

8. KillTrash says:

Amen brother! I totally share the same sentiment for Q3. Whenever I feel nostalgic, I watch stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5OiaPtxTA

• Schaulustiger says:

@KillTrash:

Oh, how many times I have watched this movie… it was a great tournament, sadly the TDM scene died way too early. Well, honestly Q3 was not really suited for 4on4 since the MG was a bit too powerful and turned TDM matches into a mindless aim-fest. Still, the old days with SK/[u]/aNC and iC were ace. dm14 <3

9. Mo says:

The really sad part is that id software tried to develop another Quake Arena game, but couldn’t find a publisher who was interested in funding it. :( Q3A is amazing and always will be, but I’d still love to see a carefully refined sequel built on a modern engine.

• tapanister says:

Nah man, between creating games that can be played with noobsticks and sending rockets from one part of a desert to another, Carmack doesn’t have it in him still to create something as good as Quake 3.

• Senethro says:

Its more the case that there cannot be another Quake 3 because people wouldn’t buy it. Its a game of its time and that time saw less competitors on PC and especially consoles.

• Mo says:

Carmack is *totally* up for it, he talked about a year or two ago at Quakecon.

It’s true that the game “wouldn’t work” today, but only because publishers & gamers have this ridiculous “everything and the kitchen sink” mentality. Q3A was all about minimalism. Q3A was about having a narrow focus, and iterating on those ideas. The results speak for themselves.

I think a new Quake Arena game would work, but it’d probably be better suited to the downloadable realm rather than retail.

10. Alexander Norris says:

I’ve never played any Quake games. Pretty much the first proper FPS I got was UT, and by the time I started playing online Q3A wasn’t popular enough for me to pick up on its existence.

• Jad says:

Quake Live! Seriously, check it out! I also was more of a UT guy back in the day, and I’m certainly not hardcore on Q3A now, but that doesn’t matter. Quake Live is awesome, really easy to install, and free!

• KindredPhantom says:

I have never played Quake 3. I have played the original UT multiplayer, i first played it in college over the LAN.
      I did play Quake Live during it’s beta and found it fun but frustrating due to the matching of the players skill. Some games i did pretty well against fellow noobs and in others i was constantly fragged by the pro’s. Though the system has probably been improved since.

11. tapanister says:

Man I remember this one time, must have been like 5, almost 6 years ago, playing q3 with a friend at a net cafe, we were all competitive mothafukas and stuff, not even close to pro, but I guess we were pretty close to really good amateurs back then. The girl of my dreams was there cheering me on before we went out for drinks, all dressed up with this really tiny skirt and blouse on, and we even had an audience watching me and my buddy fragging each other.

Granted, they probably were watching the legs and not the game, cause I don’t really recall having an audience before she got there.. And she turned out to be quite a bitch to be honest, plus that friend of mine is the kind of person who goes with the thrends, now considering videogames to be silly little things (I guess being good at QIII was in back then). And.. I really doubt I won any of those games.

But what sticks to mind is, a couple of years after that, I had just come home from uni vacation, and neither of us had been playing much (at all) while at uni, but we got together, us with a couple of more friends and no girls at out side, got stoned and somehow ended up at a net cafe. After everyone else was tired of Quake and we were just beginning to warm up. I know I must have won most of these games, but even if I didn’t, it was still one of the best gaming experiences of my life, pretty much just as good as the one I mentioned earlier.

Hell, this whole post sounds like a fucking eulogy, but I guess it’s gotta be done sometime. I haven’t played Quake after getting my ass serially handed to me on Quake Live for a week or so back when the beta started.

I just wish one day, some motherfucker with the math-oriented brains and then-love for games of Jonh Carmack creates something that manages to come close to the sheer DM perfection that QIII was. I always sucked at maths, but damn if at some point when playing I didn’t feel that this game wouldn’t be as awesome if it hadn’t been engineered by someone who didn’t suck at math.

I guess I’ll probably be too old to be any good when the next -mainstream- game to be as good as Quake comes along, but till then I’ll keep enjoying MW2 -or whatever is the thing to frag at at the moment- at the internet cafe (gotta keep the boycott rollin’ and shit).

12. dishwasherlove says:

Posting about Generations Arena in a Q3 thread.

Q3A deathmatch mod with Wolf vs Doomguy vs Q1 vs Q2 vs Q3 dude.

Amazing.

13. Kleevah says:

I was one of those that preferred UT back in the day (mostly because it had a pretty solid single player and I was stuck on a notoriously bad 56k connection at the time). Though on LAN parties it was all about Q3, and my favorite map was always the one nicknamed “The jumpy map” (I’ve long since forgotten the name of the mapfile though).

• tapanister says:

Probably The Longest Yard, Q3DM17.

• Kleevah says:

Heh, I watched some YouTubes and found it to be Q3DM16 – The Bouncy Map (Not “jumpy” :p). Man, I still know that layout by heart.. :)

14. We Fly Spitfires says:

Damn… I can’t believe it’s 10 years old?! Seriously, wow. It feels like yesterday. God, I’m getting so old…

15. mandrill says:

Q3 is still here. In the guise of QLive. Get your asses on it and frag something. Who needs nostalgia when we have that?

I had my doubts and foresaw myself getting roundly humped by all comers but the skill matching thing is pretty good and I’ve come out winning a few matches.

I remember playing the Q3 Beta for 8hour streches and then calling in sick cos I’d not slept. Those were the days.

16. Spacewalk says:

My first Quake III memory was upgrading my PC so I could play it at 800×600 with a framerate that was more than thirty five. That was back in the day when I thought that anyone who didn’t run games with all the shinies set to max was an inferior person who should stick to their consoles. How times have changed.

17. Carra says:

Lots of great games having their tenth birthday these days.

Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Planescape Torment amongst many others.

18. Spiny says:

Ahhh sweet Quake.

I loved RA3 too. And Team Arena, but few people bought that.

The railgun is still my favourite weapon of all time.

19. Levictus says:

It’s kind of scary to think that Q3 is TEN years old! I am getting old. It’s too bad it’s impossible to replicate the games from the golden age of PC gaming. Although I think it has more to do with our expectation and growing older than anything else. :/

20. DarkNoghri says:

I never had the computing power or the internet connection to get into this when it was popular, but I did have one time when I got to play it.

At our college lan party, run by the school’s Linux group, I entered into the Q3 tournament (probably at the urging of a friend). I had never played the game before that I can recall. Out of 15 people or so in 1v1 deathmatches, I made 2nd place, losing only to the guy who was supposed to be really, really good.

Moral of the story: either everyone else sucked, or I spent way too much time playing FPSs (especially quake engine based at the time).

It was a fun night.

21. airtekh says:

While I have to admit that it was/is the better game compared to UT, I don’t really have memories of Q3. Me and my schoolmates got sucked into UT99 (and TFC and Counterstrike after that).

22. Casimir's Blake says:

Ten years on, and we get Modern Warfare 2, and Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Multiplayer aside, at least the FPS hasn’t entirely died, mired in a pit of linearity, generic deathmatchery and Halo-worshipping.

(If you’re wondering, CoP is the best Stalker yet and is not only worth importing, but worth waiting for it’s English release)

• Lilliput King says:

“If you’re wondering, CoP is the best Stalker yet and is not only worth importing, but worth waiting for it’s English release”

I’m not wondering, but I am confused.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Hastily written late grammar, my apologies.

Stalker: Anyone that played and liked Shadow of Chernobyl but were put off by Clear Sky – don’t pass on Call of Pripyat. You WILL be missing out.

23. dylan says:

I played this game as a little kid, and only recently have I matched up those early gaming memories with the name of “quake 3″. It’s like I just discovered a long lost sibling.

24. Maximinus says:

Best memory : playing on Q3DM16 with my 2 room mates for hours. This was our favorite map. Railgun + Lan latency = perfect. But Q3DM17 is good also. And it was in the first demo.

25. Eli Just says:

2 years ago at my school I installed Q3A on the network and for 3 days straight we filled 2 computer labs with people playing (Always on The Longest Yard of course). The admins kept deleting it, but we would just put it right back on in some hidden folder, and the gaming would continue. My friend who did this with me actually introduced me to the game the year before with a 3 hour marathon session (Longest Yard only of course) on one of the school’s projectors while skipping some school gathering. It may have come before my time, but I still think it is probably the best multiplayer shooter ever.

26. Neut says:

Was a UT player back in the day myself as well mostly due to my shitty internet connection and the decent bots and abundancy of maps and game modes that came with it. However recently Quake Live has made me realise how near perfect (and vastly superior) it is as a competitive game.

27. Tweakd says:

Ah Quake. If only I hadn’t wasted 10 years playing various UT games I wouldn’t feel like EPIC had cheated me out of the greatest DM experience ever seen. :S

Quake Live is just stunning. I don’t need to play any other games and I didn’t even have to pay for this one! id are doing a great job with the game.

28. MacBeth says:

I do fondly remember downloading the demo every time we needed it across the ludicrously fast network links between Bristol Uni and Imperial College… and usually crashing the local network in the Engineering labs eventually, which made the people doing real work unhappy.

However, all my most-deeply-loved online gaming memories belong to TFC, a couple of years later… sorry, just one of those things…

29. Lilliput King says:

My internet connection is too slow for Quake Live. It insists on downloading things periodically, which raises my ping to the thousands.

I don’t know what to do.

• Tei says:

I know what to do. Report it, damnit!. It could be a know bug, but maybe is not and lots of people have the same bug and is unnoticed by the admins/devs. It could also be a sign his “file sync” mechanism is not strong enough and your router/ISP corrupt packets.

• Lilliput King says:

Probably less to do with the game and more to do with my connection, my dear Tei.

Usually about 45 kB/s.

People on their iphones have faster connections than me.

• Tei says:

It could be that Quake Live is designed to stuff is downloaded “on the fly” (stuff like avatars) that hare not a problem for most people. Anyway I still think you sould report, If only, to let other people know the “limits” where the game stop playing properly.

30. Joinn says:

Hah! I will never give up my life again for Q2/Q3 (or derivatives (AQ2, I love you still, PhD 4tw)). 6 years is enough on the altar of Quake games.

Oh, look!, my fries (chips for the UK ppl) are done! Btw, did I ever tell you how much I love single malt scotch?

• tapanister says:

Motherfucker where did you remember Action Q2? Goddamn, that was a game I was hooked on before Quake III and the various UT series. Back in those days before counter strike and the sudden influx of the people we considered “noobs” that came with CS… Man AQ2 was the tits. I still play fps games with that friend of mine that we started playing AQ2 together.

31. Rohit says:

UT forevah!

32. Rohit says:

Meant as a reply to kwyjibo.

33. kyrieee says:

This game doesn’t feel old

Gaming is growing up

34. Wooly says:

This probably makes me a heretic, but… I’ve never really liked Quake III… D:

35. Maximinus says:

Quake 3 is the reason I upgraded my Voodoo2.

Quake 3 is the victory of minimalism over bloat.

Quake 3 is the reason I can’t imagine playing a shooter with a gamepad.

Quake 3 is the game that made me think “hey, creating video games could be fun”.

Quake 3 is my favorite game… although I do also like the original Fallouts.

36. malkav11 says:

Quake III may have been the better pure game, rewarded skill better, some such thing. I wouldn’t know. But even the first UT had it beat cold in terms of actually being interesting, with weapons and levels and so on that are actually creative and have some spark to them. I have this feeling this is why UT is (or was, at least, UT3 may have put a cap on that) a series and Quake III has never been followed up. (Quake Live isn’t so much a follow up as a resurrection.)

• pepper says:

I still prefer playing the original UT over UT3, or 2004 if others want to join in. They just lost it with 3 for some reason.

37. Mordarke says:

Same here, Quake 3 was too much bunny hopping for my liking.

38. SkUrRiEr says:

I recall playing Q3A’s single player religiously – to the extent of having completed it in every difficulty level that my skill allowed. (Half way through difficult, except for….)

Figuring out the simplest way to defeat Xaero was a blast. (rail gun, wait for him to jump over, then nail him in the air. If he goes for the platform, *hit the sun*) Defeating him on Nightmare was awesome fun, but I now lack the skill to do it again. =)

I never played real multiplayer that much, but the bots were awesome and this kept me coming back for years.

The only game I’ve played since that has that level of replayability is TF2, but even the awesomeness of that can’t outshine Q3A.

39. The_Biz says:

controls are so great in that game. you can customize pretty much everything in every way. they really make it about how well you can play and not about how closely the developer’s settings match with your playstyle.

quake 3 will probably always be the best FPS game for me because it will be the one that is primarily about strategy and not about how well you can aim. i always found map/weapon control and anticipation to involve much more skill than how well you can headshot.

quake is pretty much the hallmark “twitch shooter”. kind of ironic considering it’s one of the only games left where your success isn’t determined by how fast you can react and deliver a bullet to the enemy’s head.

there has been no other shooting experience where I have consistently lost or won based on the moves i made instead of based on the perfection of their execution.

but even for the skill freaks there is plenty to savor. at higher levels of play the execution of the jumping and movement becomes very important, and the weapon accuracy separates people too.

40. Keroton says:

wow im like only 10 years…I still remeber that i couldnt play the game and I had to buy new computer for it and next couple of years i played it everyday…10 years is a lot :(

thx quake 3.

41. Fenchurch says:

You protest whimsy and colour? God help me that I enjoy a game that’s actually /fun/ and not a bunch of teabagging, grinning dipshits leaping about in an endless, stilted, Ballardian ballet of chrome and gibs.

Quake opened the sluice; the tide of shit brown, blood and rust which remains a hallmark of action game aesthetics.

May it rot in hell.

• Fenchurch says:

Damnit that was meant to be a reply to “kwyjibo” near the top of the comments thread there.

• Senethro says:

You’re raging against gamers, not against Quake players. Sorry bro.

42. Legionary says:

Nothing’s topped Q3? Come off it! Give me TF2 any day.

• invisiblejesus says:

I think it’s fair to say that TF2 and Quake 3 are apples and oranges; I never got into Quake, but I was a UT guy and I’d say deathmatch games scratch a totally different itch from TF2.

43. sigma83 says:

My issue with Quake was always the bunny hopping. I understand that it raises the skill ceiling considerably but I dislike it for that reason; insufficient ability to achieve that skill. I was pretty good at UT but both came out before I had fully developed motor skills so…

My favorite Quake memory: Watching Get Quaked 3 on YouTube and having my jaw drop out. And playing Q3DM6 The Camping Grounds against bots for hours and hours.

44. bill says:

UT forever!!

;-)

I had much more love for Quake 1 and Quake 2 than number 3.

45. deadlock says:

We break out Q3A *every* Christmas in the office and spend the few days before we break up for the holidays locked in mortal combat. Ah, the joy of network freezes.

46. Navid Zamani says:

There’s still nothing that beats Q3 CPMA, to warm up your targeting and reaction skils for *any* game/shooter. It simply doubles your performance after a nice session. :)

Oh, and if you haven’t seen “Cattuthaj Jhana” and “CeTuS — The Movie” (both from Shaolin Productions!) which are a MUST SEE, and the crazy new XreaL engine in High Quality Quake (with new models and textures!).

47. Pew says:

This reminds me of the good old days on the PC Gamer UK forum where there would be a Q3 vs. UT discussion every 3 days. An age before we called everyone fanboys and such. Ahhhh, the memories.

• pepper says:

In that day and age fanboys belong to the consoles, and we as the normal PC people could surely discuss PC’ish stuff in a normal way without worrying about whom played what. Since we were all PC’s. The days when we got the originals and consoles got the ports!

48. Bob says:

soldier of fortune 2 mp beats any online game easy tbh Whats better than turning a corner and blowing someone’s head to bits! lol

49. Shadowcat says:

tapanister, could you possibly have crammed any more negatives into that sentence?

So.. um.. you DID feel the game WOULD be as awesome if it HAD been engineered by someone who SUCKED at maths.