Mafia II On Time, Max Payne 3 Delayed

By John Walker on December 4th, 2009 at 8:19 am.

Take-Two did their financial business all out in the open last night, and there’s a few snippets of gaming news from it all. Here’s the headlines: Bong! Max Payne 3 delayed until this time next year. Bong! Unlikely to be a new GTA until 2011. Bong! Mafia II still on schedule for Spring 2010. Bong! BioShock 2 for 9th February 2010. Bong! Borderlands considered “a key franchise”. Bong! A “AAA game” is delayed, but they won’t say which one. More details in the coming forever, but first a look at the weather.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MD says:

Still haven’t had a chance to play the first Mafia. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it’s not available on any of the DD platforms? (If I’m wrong about that, correct me and I’ll be thrilled.)

2. sigma83 says:

In order:

Doh
    Doh
    Yay
    Yay
    Eh?
    Meh

3. Poopscrubber says:

Frankly I’m still very wary of Max Payne 3. That’s not to say I don’t respect Rockstar Vancouver’s game design chops; Bully was a gem. Rather, it’s more a sentiment grounded in the question of “Why?“. I’d rather see Rockstar Vancouver just do another Bully or work on a totally original IP and leave the Max Payne franchise to the folks at Remedy. Max Payne isn’t a big franchise like other shooter contemporaries; it doesn’t need to have a sequel every few years to maintain “brand interest”. I’m not sure if I’m as coherent as I could be. This Cherry 7-up has extra Vitamin E and it seems a strange choice of vitamin.

• Bhazor says:

My biggest fear with Max Payne 3 was that it was a month from release and we hadn’t been shown anything from it bar a half dozen bloom laden pictures. It was if the team was trying to sneak it out with no publicity which is never a good sign/ So this 12 month delay could be the best thing to happen to it.

• SilentB_319 says:

To Poopscrubber who said that they should leave Max Payne to Remedy… that isn’t an option. Remedy don’t own the IP anymore, they sold it to T2. So R* are perfectly entitled to give their take on Payne since they own the IP now, while Remedy are working hard on Alan Wake. Just be glad R* are the type to delay a game to give it the time it needs, rather than release it in bad shape.

2010 is looking like a good year for T2 and R* – Bioshock 2, Red Dead Redemption, Mafia II. Perhaps even Agent? And speculating, we may yet see the GTA downloadable content on other platforms.

4. Jabberslops says:

I bought Mafia 1 for PC back in I think 2004. I have never played though it because I could never get the darn thing to run on any of my computers even after going through all kinds of compatibility stuff and eventually building a machine just for Win98SE with slightly higher than recommended specs for the game. Nothing worked so I gave up. It’s too bad really because everything I read about the game made it sound like it was pretty good. Hopefully Mafia 2 won’t give me the same problem (I doubt it will, but there is still the chance).

5. AndrewC says:

‘AAA’: should it be preceded by ‘a’ or ‘an’?

6. Richeh says:

Ooh, so more Borderlands. Have to say, it killed Torchlight for me, I just couldn’t go back from headshot = critical. Makes so much sense being able to make your own crits rather than a roll of the dice.

7. Shadowcat says:

Did anyone else read Bong! as Boing!, and have visions of a bouncing news reader?

8. terry says:

Reading that article is like talking to my roommate. Every sentence is punctuated with a bong.

I’ll get me coat….

9. terry says:

Reading that article is like talking to my roommate. Every sentence is punctuated by a bong.

I’ll get me coat…

10. mr arse says:

mmm.. bongs

11. Popular Energy Drink says:

Take 2? Why the bloody hell am I not surprised?

Bunch of mentals.

12. Hmm says:

The unnamed game is Duke……

13. the wiseass says:

The RPS lads been hittin’ the Bong! again.

14. jsutcliffe says:

To be pedantic, Mafia II is already delayed. It’s just not been delayed further.

15. fox_hound13 says:

(Hey everyone. Just hopped onboard)
    Max Payne was always a great game, but if it’s going to turn into another first person like the others, it’ll lack the charm of the first two.
    “Just switch Sam Fisher with Max Payne, and you’ve got your next big hit!”

But if Max is a little overweight, the game might get harder since he’s heavier and can’t jump as far, making bullet-time shorter.

16. Mafia_2 says:

New website about greatest game ever Mafia 2.

Visit now!
    Become a gangster, be the best in your area. Get money, women and the authorities. Everything is just in the game – Mafia 2.

Comment on this story