Streamin’ Eagles: VFAT 2009

By Tim Stone on December 6th, 2009 at 10:28 am.

While one wing of the flight sim community strives to keep aircraft as far apart as possible, another delights in putting them dangerously close. The Virtual Festival of Aerobatic Teams, now in its 5th year, is currently midway through a weekend of extraordinarily skilful formation flying displays. Catch the live Lock On-powered action here from 14.30 GMT.

, , , .

1. duel says:

haha! that so neat! ive never heard of virtual airshows before :D

2. Marcinus says:

I love PC COMMUNITY’S ^^

3. The Toastmonster says:

That’s pretty cool stuff. Last time I tried a flight-sim I couldn’t even release the brakes.

• monkehhh says:

I’m in that club too.. feet firmly on the ground and watching from a distance for me.

4. panik says:

I want to be a virtual girly standing on a bi-plane’s wing.

5. Transportdaemon says:

Impressive, wow, who would of thunk there are virtual airshows? It almost makes me want to do some flight-simming but like other people commenting here I suck and generally end up stuck on the ground or landing into the ground forgetting about things like flaps, wheels, speed etc.

How do they film this and package it into something the general public can watch?

6. Larington says:

Someone was doing various fancy flying with an attack copter, he just managed to crash into a roll across tarmac, they’ve gone to a static poster image. Whoops.

• Larington says:

Oh hang on, chat feed saying crash was intentional. Heh.

• ruaidhri.k says:

it didn’t look intentional to me. but based on the quality displayed in the previous ten minutes it must have been.

7. Iphigenia says:

The Virtual Blues Brothers just lost a Mirage. Shame, they were doing some nice stuff.

8. Devan says:

That’s a nifty idea. I wonder what the future could hold for virtual performance. If the simulation requires the same skills needed to fly the real aircraft, then I don’t see why this couldn’t eventually become more prominent, mostly for reasons of practicality.
    While viewing an air show in person is no doubt a more breathtaking experience, they are a really expensive way to entertain people. Then there’s all the pollution caused by the jet fuel, smoke trails and pyrotechnics. There’s a large international airshow near where I live, and every year the whole valley is choked with smog from the event.

Whether we like it or not, humans are going to have to start finding more sustainable pastimes like this VFAT event.

9. Ifeten.u says:

What game are they using for all this?

10. drcancerman says:

Lock-On; But with most Lock-on fans of today, Flaming Cliffs might be there as well.
    and FSX, but it might as well be FS9 (flight Simulator)

11. Bryan Peterson says:

Awesome Tim, thanks for bringing this to the forefront. There are still people out there that love simulations.

12. Dustopedia says:

Do these games model the turbulence created by the engines on these planes? I bet that is a key consideration for formation stunt pilots in the real world.

• wqwewqaa says:

IIRC, Lock On does not simulate that since Black Shark doesn’t support it either. I don’t know about FSX, but its flight model is pretty crappy anyway so I doubt it.