Hop On Board: Just Cause 2 Stunt Trailer

By John Walker on December 7th, 2009 at 10:37 am.

The only way to fly.

“It’s not realistic. We don’t want it to be realistic.” See, this is why I’m so looking forward to Just Cause 2. Fi-i-i-inally a game that isn’t trying to boast realism. But rather boast lunacy. The latest trailer shows off the vehicular stunts you can do, from tethering cars to statues, destroying sports cars off road, and just nonchalantly included in there, jumping from a private yet to a fullsize airliner. I might explode before this comes out.

The damage modelling on the cars looks brilliant, especially combined with their unrealistic acceleration and braking capabilities. And all the parachute leaping. And most of all, the tethering. How will anyone get anything done when you’ve got a tether to play with? Which means my continual concern remains: what if the main game itself gets in the way of having all this fun? We shall have to see. The game is due at the end of March.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nick says:

I wants it! I NEEDS IT!

2. Sacred_flame101 says:

i am looking forward to this game and i hope i can run it

3. -Spooky- says:

James Bond Flix are sooooo realistic. :P

4. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Man this game is gonna be Legen….wait for it…..DARY !!! :D

5. Sacred_flame101 says:

i might just have to reinstall the first one now

6. Lukasz says:

You can surf the plane ala Captain America.

YOU SURF THE PLANE!!

I want it!

7. Ian says:

@ John: “Which means my continual concern remains: what if the main game itself gets in the way of having all this fun?”

As I recall, in the first one the only real limitation the first one started you with was that you didn’t have access to all the vehicles to be air-lifted to you by the agency. I loved that from the start you could nick a vehicle and go anywhere within the game world that you wanted to.

I WANT THIS NOW.

8. Ninja says:

This game looks very fun.

Takes the fun parts from GTA, takes the attempts at realism away, and all the sudden you’ve got a game that looks like it’ll be a blast to play.

Combine that with the fact that the Tether is one of the cooler weapons I’ve seen and I see a game I’ll very likely be picking up.

One thing though, is there going to be an In game Map or anything?

Open world games are very difficult to get used too without an in game map somewhere.

9. Danzeru says:

The word ‘vehicle’ is said about fifty times in this clip. I giggled at each one. Heh.

The game looks good. Silly but extremely fun and every gamer gets in the mood to play a game like that every now and then so I look forward to this.

10. Moni says:

I want to see how many people you can tether to the back of a plane before it’s too heavy to take-off.

11. AbyssUK says:

Multiplayer ?

12. Agrajag says:

Is this like Prototype with a grappling hook?

• TotalBiscuit says:

No, you don’t have symbiotic weapons for one. It’s what an open world game would be if it were designed by Michael Bay and Vin Diesel.

• Tei says:

Short reply:
      Long reply:
      With a bigger map, and more variety of things, seems.

13. TotalBiscuit says:

The first one was let down only by it’s dull missions, if they’ve sorted that out then this will be a blast.

14. mrrobsa says:

Tethers are the new grappling hooks.

15. lhzr says:

“Fi-i-i-inally a game that isn’t trying to boast realism”
    that “Fi-i-i-inally” seems strangely un-ironic. weird.

anyway, i fail to see any just cause for all the enthusiasm displayed here. this is not boiling point 2, people. it’s the sequel to one of the most uninspired games ever. the defining thing about the first part was the lack any creativity and imagination whatsoever. they just took an island, some vehicles, some guns and stuck you in there, with generic and repetitive missions. there was absolutely NOTHING in the game to make it stand out. nothing to make you wanna play it. one of the dullest experiences one could ever have, thanks to this electronic entertainment medium that we all love.

oh and the gameplay wasn’t good enough either, by far not good enough to make one play this just for the fun of going through the motions of driving cars and shooting people. bland crap, from any point of view i can think of. although i must admit, it was sort of pretty. but just sort of.

• Antlia says:

Well, it’s a sequel, so it can really be better if they learn anything. Don’t judge it so eagerly.

Vandelay says:

Not played the original, but judging from this video if you are playing the sequel by just “going through the motions of driving cars and shooting people,” then I think you are playing it wrong.

This looks pretty awesome.

• Urthman says:

I got this box of LEGOs for Christmas and it’s really lame.

It’s just a bunch of plastic bricks that just sits there in the box and doesn’t DO anything.

Oh wait, there’s instructions. I see. You can assemble the bricks into a car. Ok. The car looks kind of cool (it would be cooler if it were shaped differently, but oh well, what can you do). And the car just sits there and doesn’t do anything.

• Jad says:

I don’t think Just Cause 1 was a good game by any means; I only played for 2 or 3 hours and haven’t gone back. However, I thoroughly disagree with you on the game being generic and uninspired, with nothing to differentiate it from other games. The standing on top of cars, the instant-on parachute, the hooking onto a passing truck and parasailing around, the sublimely ridiculous opening sequence … I mean, come on, I arrived at the location of an early mission (at some island prison) by driving up a mountain, flinging the car off a cliff, opening my parachute, hang-gliding half-way across the bay to the prison, landing on a passing boat and hijacking it. I’ve never done something like that in a game before.

The rest of the game didn’t hold up enough to keep me interested — once I got to the prison the shooting was terrible and the level design stupid — but generic? You’re crazy.

• Psychopomp says:

Street Fight 1 was terrible

I rest my case.

• TotalBiscuit says:

You’re the antithesis of fun, just fyi. Maybe gaming isn’t for you anymore.

16. Jakkar says:

.. I actually really want this.

The car momentum and physics bring to mind the Stunticons from Transformers, all those years ago.. Crashing into giant rocks, bouncing off and landing on people, cackling.

17. JuJuCam says:

I think this will be an ideal game to have on with beer and friends, taking turns to figure out the craziest stunts for any given location.

18. Schmung says:

It looks delightfully bananas, but I’ll echo other peoples concerns about mission structure being the key to the fun. An endless procession of go here > kill this missions would get old quick, but if they manage to use the missions as a way of really highlighting your abilities and letting you be creative with them then it could be great. Digits crossed.

• Urthman says:

Frankly, this game could be nothing but, “Go Here and Kill X. Use whatever toys you want,” and still be one of the most hilariously fun games ever.

The only people who would be bored by that would be the kind of people who played BioShock by freezing and wrenching every single enemy and then complained that the combat was boring. I picture them driving slowly to the target, walking up to him, shooting him with a pistol, and then complaining that the game sucks and is boring.

• Tei says:

I hate from RTS’s that the best you are, the worst is the game. Once you have a really powerfull army, killing the AI is soo lame, that you want to invent your own handicaps. But If you have to invent your own handicaps, the game sort of… failed. Is the game work to put the challenge, not me.

19. Jochen Scheisse says:

I didn’t like the first game, this here looks fun though.

20. Chaz says:

I really quite enjoyed the first game. The best thing was just mucking about in the choppers and planes and speed boats, zooming around the islands, jumping out of planes and sky diving. My favourite was skiming down low across the water in a helicopter at high speed, all it needed was the Miami Vice sound track in the back ground. It didn’t hurt that the game also looked pretty bloody gorgeous, well, as long as you weren’t at ground level anyway. The view distance when you were way up in the sky was staggering, you could see for miles and see storm clouds gathering over islands in the distance, then jet over and fly into the storm. The skies were amazing, incredible sunsets, cloud and storm systems etc, but then I believe the engine did start out life as a weather simulator before the team decided to make a game with it.

If I had one major problem with the first game, it was that the cars were terrible to drive, they really were dreadful. Hopefully that will not be a problem this time around. Although flying was so much fun, and the view from the air so fantstic that you didn’t really want to drive anyway.

21. 12kill4 says:

where do I go to give these people money in exchange for a disc containing the software which will allow me to play this game RIGHT NOW! (Also can I get new pants there.. these ones are… ‘used’…)

22. bill says:

A-Team style jeep crashes FTW.

*crawls away unharmed*

23. 1stGear says:

I suspect this game will catch flak for the same thing Far Cry 2 and many other sandbox games catch flak for: repetition. When you give some a load of stuff and an objective and tell them to do whatever, some people will inevitably take the most efficient route and do that every single time, making the game repetitive and boring. It’s the pitfall of emergent gameplay.

• El Stevo says:

Far Cry 2 caught flak for plenty of reasons besides repetition, from me mainly about how the sandbox itself was implemented (although I enjoyed the game overall). I suspect Just Cause 2 will have very few detractors.

• JuJuCam says:

If FC2 was played repetitively by people (myself included) it’s because map, mission and enemy design did little to encourage variety of gameplay. Ultimately FC2 wasn’t sandboxy enough; there weren’t enough viable and fun options for tackling the various challenges (many of which were almost identical to the last such challenge).

Of course that point is arguable, but unquestionably Just Cause 2 offers many more possibilities in that regard. It’s the type of game where I think I will just try outrageous stuff for the heck of it.

24. WJonathan says:

Remember: don’t swing *above* the helicopter!!! Mmmmm….giblets….

25. El Stevo says:

This game is my game of the year. I have already given it 10/10.

26. Sajmn says:

I’d say most games aren’t trying to be realistic at all. Like the people stating the new CoD is realistic…. don’t make me laugh.

A game might look realistic in a screenshot, but it’s the gameplay that defines how realistic it actually is.

CoD: uff, I’ve been shot. An AK47 round ripped my internal organs and I’m bleeding…*3 seconds later* nah just kidding. Let’s rock!

• Calabi says:

But then those developers were probably trying to make it realistic except as always they go with the genre defined conventions, never questioning them or trying to break out of them. Also its a translation of an unrealistic hollywood depiction.

Cant wait for this, we need more games of this sort on the PC, just pure fun games. Most PC games do seem a bit stuffy, especially the CODs and strategy games.

27. Heliosicle says:

ITS A BIT CRASSSEY

/WANT

28. Tom says:

In anticipation I downloaded just the demo of the first game. Really, really bad. But the trailer promises so much fun, I’m willing to forget the experience I just had.

• Marcin says:

Yeah, the demo is timed. That right there removes about 99% of the ways to play the game.

I had a blast with the first game, ridiculous combat and iffy car handling notwithstanding. 100%ed it, which I typically do not do. Once you finish the missions, there’s oodles of provinces to take over, and the continent is really, truly big – getting from one side to the other is the game.

Did you know that there’s a jet (in the first game) that can, for limited times, fly underwater? Bug or feature – I don’t really care. ^_^

I’m greatly looking forward to the second game. I hope there is a similar province takeover feature that I can waste another 40 hours on – the new terrain types already help that need to see what’s over the next hill …

29. Dominic White says:

The first game was fairly solid as an Xbox launch (or near-launch) title, faring quite well when compared to games at the time. A sloppy and late PC port didn’t help, and the game itself didn’t age well, but the concept of playing as a bizarre hybrid of Spiderman and Johnny Depps insane CIA agent from Once Upon A Time In Mexico was pretty great, actually.

The gameplay shown in the videos so far looks just plain FUN. I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be a rental on the 360 at the very least. A purchase for the PC if it’s cheap/well-reviewed enough.

30. Jesse says:

Yet another JC 2 trailer to bug all my friends with.

The one thing that does concern me (besides mission design, which, no matter what kind of toys you have to play with, can always add or detract from a game) is the gunplay. I’ve watched every video I can find of this game and I lose interest every time the player starts shooting. Obviously there are many many actions to take in this game, and many ways to approach a battle with some dudes, but shooting army men with handheld weapons will no doubt be a major component. From the dev videos it seems like Rico can take too much damage. Take a look: he’s always standing in the open, getting plinked by inaccurate autofire for no appreciable damage. Don’t get me wrong, I love crazy fun, and I have no doubt I’ll enjoy the crazy fun in this game, but excellent gunfights are crazy fun and average gunfights are not.

Here’s hoping for a guns trailer showing shotguns, grenade launchers, and a giant Dirty Harry-style revolver. If we don’t get that I hope at least there’ll be a hard difficulty mode.

31. WilPal says: