The Games Of Christmas: December 9th

By RPS on December 9th, 2009 at 3:39 pm.

Do you know what the one true leader of the Autobots is pointing at? You don’t, do you? But you must. Imagine if you never found out, perhaps dropped dead of a heart attack in the next fifteen seconds? Life would be meaningless. You must click, click now, to see what lies within the mighty seasonally festive advent-o-calendar.

Time Gentlemen, Please!

John: I am like a clanging cymbal, a resounding gong. I realise this. But when your first love is adventure games it’s hard not to a) spend most of your life screaming in frustration at the dreadful rubbish stupid idiots think are good adventures, and b) explode in excitement when a truly good adventure game comes along.

I reviewed TGP for PC Gamer in the same issue that I reviewed the Special Edition of the Secret of Monkey Island. And I gave TGP a higher score. Not just because SOMI SE was a poorly conceived update with horrible controls (and let’s be balanced, fantastic voice work and tremendous graphics) but because – and hold your breath, gather your weapons – Time Gentlemen, Please! is a better game than The Secret Of Monkey Island.

THERE.

In fact, it’s one of the funniest and most stupendously conceived comedy adventure games (I always slip in that “comedy” for the The Longest Journey Proviso) that’s been made. It falls short of the true majesty of a Day Of The Tentacle or Grim Fandango, but measured against all that makes adventure games great, it’s right up there. Sure, it’s made in AGS. Sure, it has scratchy graphics in a tiny window. Sure, it’s made by a couple of deviants who probably shouldn’t be allowed outside their houses without adult supervision. But it’s just good.

It also features a puzzle involving using a severed rotting arm to declog a toilet blocked with Hitler’s shit. See, the last few of you are now convinced.

The immaturity on display in this sequel to the completely free Ben There, Dan That! is remarkable. TGP is a game about travelling through time to prevent the prevention of the creation of the coathanger in order to stop Hitler’s army of robo-dinosaurs from winning the Second World War. Yeah, I know, another Second World War game. And there’s swears. Excellent swears.

It’s funny – extremely funny – likely the game that’s made me laugh out loud more than any other. The puzzles understand what makes inventory puzzles brilliant, and if that means sodomising a dead animal, then so be it. And those crude scratchy animations – they’re awesome too. In summary, it’s alright.

Alec: I suffered John and a couple of other chaps regularly harassing me to play this, to the point that their strident demands that I join their movement very nearly put me off trying it at all. But they were quite right to harangue me so. While Jim and Kieron are largely done with with traditional adventure games, I’m still prone to the occasional forlorn backwards glance at the rotting zombie carcass of something I once adored. TGP made that backwards glance entirely worthwhile – it made me feel as those ancient Lucasarts games that gentlemen of a certain age never stop talking about had once made me feel. It did this not by empty lip service and imitation, but being entirely modern of tone – a merry explosion of webmemes, tongue-in-cheek nostalgia and good-natured outragedness.

Y’know how the Simpsons stopped being funny and edgy, then Family Guy came along and injected what seemed like an exhausted formula with new pep’n'wildness? TGP’s that, basically. Not that I mean it’s particularly like Family Guy, just that it’s such a young, modern voice compared to its rut-stuck peers. It doesn’t do anything new (and, frankly, I do hope Zombie Cow turn their great skills towards something that isn’t about combining absurdist objects very soon), but it does it much, much better than anyone else: most especially than anyone who’d been making adventure games for years. It’s not got some existing line to tow or licenses to respect – as has hampered the Telltale adventures to some respect – so it can just get on with it. ‘It’ being necrophiliac transvestite mouse sex, Nazi dinosaurs and automatic wanking machines.

There’s a risk that might change now it’s been a pretty decent success – with the upcoming Revenge of the Balloon-Headed Mexican, Zombie Cow do have something to live up to, and an audience full of expectancies. Second album syndrome, essentially. If I were them, I would have run a mile from doing another Ben & Dan game for fear of losing the free-wheeling freshness of TGP, but then again they’ve got an entire genre to save. And I, for one, can’t think of anyone else I’d rather entrust its fate to.

(I note I always seem to write with deadly seriousness when talking about comedy games. This is, of course, because my own jokes are so phenomenally funny that said comedy games would appear dreary and disastrous by comparison. Can’t think of any other reason for it.)

Kieron:

[13:28] John: Did you play Time Gentlemen Please?
[13:29] Kieron: nope
[13:29] Kieron: Not significantly
[13:30] John: Then you are relieved of advent duty.
[13:30] Kieron: I got to the warehouse door
[13:31] John: That’s the… first screen? Heh.
[13:34] Kieron: Yeah
[13:34] Kieron: I got to it
[13:34] Kieron: And thought “Fuck this”
[13:34] John: I bet you got to it better than anyone else though.
[13:34] Kieron: I went straight to the fucking door
[13:35] Kieron: I was in like flynn
[13:35] Kieron: No man could stop me
[13:35] John: Man, you’re amazing.
[13:35] Kieron: After a brief delay when I worked out how you moved the two fuckers
[13:35] Kieron: But bar that, I was a genius
[13:35] John: I’m pretty turned on right now.
[13:36] Kieron: Me too

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ian says:

The One Thing John Said That Made Me Think I Should Play It:
    The bit about coathangers and Hitler’s robot dinosaurs.

The One Thing Alec Said That Made Me Think I Shouldn’t Play It:
    The Family Guy analogy. I agree with the “The Simpsons got tired a good while ago” bit, but I’ve always found Family Guy to be largely tedious.

Hmm.

Given the original is free, which I didn’t realise, I should go and give that a go so I can gamefaqs my way through the bits that make me feel stoopad.

• Bobsy says:

Comedy in “Pretty Subjective” Shocker!

• Ian says:

o rly?

• MD says:

Don’t let the Family Guy thing put you off. Remember Alec’s disclaimer that “[it's not] particularly like Family Guy”.

I would possibly have been put off by the descriptions of uber-uber-lowbrow humour (I’m certainly not above enjoying crude humour, but gross-out comedy and a lazy/excessive reliance on dick jokes does put me off), but it really is rather charming, and genuinely funny. I was sort-of-shocked/dismayed a couple of times, but soon got over it and back to having fun. I reckon Alec nailed it actually, with this bit:

“Sure, it’s very much tied to 21st century comedy ideals of the grotesque and the sexual, but that’s the charm of it. It doesn’t intend to offend or disgust anyone – it’s just off having a good time whether not anyone else shares its humour, and in doing that it’s a strangely innocent piece despite all the cock gags. It just wants to have a good time, and it’s done a pretty terrific job in building both its humour and its puzzles with such relaxed hedonism in mind.”

• qrter says:

Funny, the bit about Family Guy made me go “oh no.. don’t say that..”, simply because the game is so much funnier than FG has ever managed to be.

2. jsutcliffe says:

I felt like my mouse wasn’t controlling the cursor and was instead controlling a very lazy and incompetent person who had some instructions on how to move a cursor but didn’t really understand them, and as such I didn’t play more than a couple of screens of the demo.

If there is some kind of a fix for a sluggish and inaccurate cursor though, I’d love to give this and its predecessor a go.

• MD says:

Mouse lag shits me up the wall, and I’m usually the first to complain about it (after uninstalling the game in disgust), but I don’t remember any problems with BTDT or TGP. So it’s probably some sort of system-specific bug or conflict, rather than a ‘feature’ or a universal problem. Might be worth asking on their website, or having a look to see if others have had the same problem.

3. malkav11 says:

I need to get back to this one. I love much of it, including, for example, an early dialogue sequence with Hitler and the aforementioned necrophiliac tranvestite mouse sex. But like pretty much every other adventure game ever, I hit points where I just don’t know what the fuck I’m supposed to do to advance things and it’s pretty easy to stop playing there.

At least it’s not Myst.

4. phil says:

Fantastic game, though the individual and harliously perverse responses to every object/character/action combination eventually gave me a strange OCD complusion to try everything with everything else. When I accidentally solved a few puzzles that way it was annoying in that I lost the objects/characters, hence missed some of the script. I think it’s the only time I’ve ever wanted to be stuck on a puzzle for longer than I actually was.

5. airtekh says:

I bought this on JW’s recommendation (that and the absurdly low price) and it was worth every penny.

The funniest bit for me was when you get rid of one dinosaur guard only for another to immediately take his place. You’re disheartened until he exclaims “Man, I just love spanners” – and it just so happens you have one in your inventory.

The final battle with Hitler is good too.

6. Tom Camfield says:

I miss Kieron.

7. oceanclub says:

The first adventure game I’ve finished since “Broken Sword”. (And I can’t actually remember any I finished before that.) Great game, with an insanely high good-fun-per-cent ratio.

P.

8. Sovietmudkipz says:

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaannnnddddd another very exclusive niche game- the point/click. A genre that has successfully died, akin to smallpox, only to raise again… slightly.

ITT: Games hoping will make the list: Red Alert 3: Uprising, Company of Heroes:2nd expansion, Heroes of Newerth/Demigod, Torchlight, AaaaA(x25)- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity,Mirror’s Edge

Games that would make me RAGE: Eufloria, Aion Modern Warfare 2, more point/click

Games that if shown up would make me I don’t know(neutral towards): Plants vs. Zombies, Neverwinter Nights 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Trine, Front Mission Evolved

Mediocre games not listed above: See Games of Christmas: Dec. 1-9 (exclude Dawn of War 2)

TLDR; Strategy games = PC gaming, MOAR RTS

• AndrewC says:

This is quite exciting. Is this that savage designer fellow, or is there more than one of them, possibly meeting in secret to plan a campaign? Gosh I hope so.

Umm, the game: I got as far as Kieron, but I was listening to better music at the time.

• Sovietmudkipz says:

Same guy, different computer.

Someone, please tell me I’m not insane in my disappointment in the games thus far? That the listed games (Dec 1-9, save Dawn of War 2) appeal to older folk (28-30+).

Whenever I sit down from a dreary day from school, I tend to get my homework done so I get it out of the way. However, after that, I tend to want to escape solving problems not with brains and knowledge, but with brute force– to escape the monotonous quality of school/work. School for me = College, before any of you say “go are 13 years old, go back to Xbox Live!”.

This is why I have a natural apathy towards MMOs, whose grinds are legendarily boring, and Point/click, where the only payoff is comedy or progression to another puzzle- where you can once again think for 3-10 minutes figuring out the new puzzle (or alt+tab’d in Gamefaqs).

I admit, I may be a part of a larger audience that many of you deem “the bane of gaming” by way of supporting faster-paced, quicker payoff video entertainment– but these games tend to allow me to momentarily escape for a time– to quickly master the game and be powerful there, at a time when my real life is nothing but an epic MMO grind for a degree.

TLDR; Games games games!

• CMaster says:

So you want the things in the advent calendar (basically things the RPS guys enjoyed this year and think you should maybe take a look at, with an explanation as to why) should be exclusivley about games you already like in one genre?

How odd and pointless.

Anyway, I’d expect to see AAAA, PvZ, L4D2, DA:O and so on in there given the amount of RPS coverage they’ve received. Possibly Borderlands, AI War etc too.

It’s not meant to be a “best of 2009″ in any particular order I don’t think. Just a “take a look at these, we liked them” which strikes me as being the kind of experience akin to an advent calendar.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Cmaster: “It’s not meant to be a “best of 2009″ in any particular order I don’t think”

It is our favourite games of 2009, but there’s no order to it (except when there clearly is). Exception: the number one is, as last time we did it, our game of the year.

(Mr Designer, once again, is interesting in his internal contradictions. PC Gaming = Strategy gaming! Give me faster paced games” is today’s “Ah, no games I haven’t heard of, are you scared of popular games?”. I look forward to tomorrows “Games should be longer, but give me shorter ones” comment or something similar.)

Really, man. You’ll be better off just keeping it purer in a “I think there should be more RTS games in it” way than trying to tie it into a theory. The idea that Batman is any significantly less quick-to-play game than Mirror’s Edge is barmy.

KG

• Jad says:

… disappointment in the games thus far …(Dec 1-9, save Dawn of War 2) … I tend to want to escape solving problems not with brains and knowledge, but with brute force …

Wait, what?

Dec 1: Zeno Clash (beating dudes up)
      Dec 2: Canabalt (running fast)
      Dec 3: Dawn of War 2 (strategy game requiring some brain power)
      Dec 4: Machinarium (brain-requiring)
      Dec 5: Burnout Paradise (for John at least: crashing into stuff)
      Dec 6: Batman Arkham Asylum (beating dudes up [some other brain-requiring parts, though])
      Dec 7: Arma 2 (brain-requiring)
      Dec 8: Red Faction Guerilla (blowing stuff up)
      Dec 9: Time Gentleman, Please (brain-requiring)

• James G says:

It is interesting that you mention age. (Although I’m only 25, so fall outside of your supposed target demographic.)

One of the things I like about RPS is that it is not afraid to acknowledge a certain ammount of gaming history. It is written by people who grew up on the same systems I did, and these are tied in intimately with the writing. Of course, this is indirectly related to age, and were you say a 35 year old time traveler who were born in 1995, you’d be as equally lost as a 14 year old born in that year.

However, I can’t really place your distinction on age, but merely one of gaming preferences. I’ve always favoured the more cerebral game, and continue to do so despite my fairly thinking-heavy job (SCIENCE!). But as others have pointed out, the advent calendar, and much of RPS’s writing on the whole, is very personal. It doesn’t pretend to be a neutral platform, catering to all audiences tastes.

Oh, and Neverwinter Nights 2 was released in 2006, so is very unlikely to make an appearence here.

• jsutcliffe says:

I like “28-30+” as an age range.

However, aren’t all of the RPS four in their thirties? I think it stands to reason that the games they like would be for “older folk.”

• Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

Why are you here?

• Frosty says:

Hi! I’m 18 and I loved Time Gentlemen, Please!

If anything, it felt more aimed at the younger generation. As the HIVEMIND said:Less throw backs to adventure games of old and more progress towards modern day comedy.

You cite your love of faster paced games as because it helps you escape from the monotony of everyday life? Well Time Gentleman, Please let me escape the monotony of everyday life with pure humour. As funny as funny (in videogames) gets.

Besides the whole point of videogames is to help you escape from the monotony of everyday life (I like that phrase). Certain genres might do it for you, but as a whole the whole idea of games is to make you excited and forget the bad things. Yes you might find adventure games boring, but a lot more people on this website find them entertaining,

But you confuse me further. You want more RTS but as much as I love a RTS game, I wouldn’t call them fast paced or exciting in the way you are suggesting.

Basically: Don’t complain about a non existant problem. When I see articles about a game/genre I care little for on this site, I skip it. Problem solved. Perhaps this is not the place for you.

• Hardlylikely says:

Dear sirs, this list you have posted on your blog does not accord with my tastes and opinions, therefore I shall complain instead of discussing the game you chose to kindly put forward for the consideration of myself and others, rather than going away and finding a site that validates my choice of entertainment. Thank you for your attention to this urgent matter.

• Sovietmudkipz says:

Dear Kieron Gillen,

RTS gaming has come a long way since it’s inception back when Chess was invented (chess = first real RTS game, no objections(I.E stick with me)). Many leaps and bounds in theory and technology changed both the way it’s played and how stigmas are broken down through the ages. No more taking turns, no more “equal units, one race”, and less geographically bland environments.

Yes, and here we are, in today’s realm- where the goal in RTS games is to liquidate the 7-10 minutes of city building in favor of action. It’s been a long, dreary process, but alas it has been made for us. Company of Heroes, World in Conflict, Dawn of War 2, Red Alert 3, Warcraft 3 all quickly get one out of their home base in favor of engaging the enemy or other sinister ends.

Classifying RTS as action-oriented isn’t a misnomer– well, if the only RTS games you play have the words “Total War” in the title, or you fancy Heroes of Might and Magic the pinnacle of strategy games, then I can understand where your confusion takes root.

Love,
      “Mr. Designer” Sovietmudkipz

• John Walker says:

Quick tip: lecturing Kieron on RTS games might not be your best plan.

Go and read what Alec and I have written. It’s passion. We LOVE this game. It’s one of the best games this year. We sat down and wrote a list of our favourite games this year, and now we’re writing about them. You’re not obliged to read.

• TeeJay says:

Chess is “turn-based strategy” not “real-time strategy” surely? :S

• Vinraith says:

@Teejay

He thinks Chess is an RTS, he seems to think TW is an RTS, and he seems to at least think HOMM is comparable to an RTS, so… yeah. There’s a reason it raises the hackles on the back of my neck whenever someone refers to “strategy” when they mean “RTS.”

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

excellent, although i thought “ben there, dan that” was easier, therefore better, since i don’t particularly play adventure games for the puzzles, i prefer solving puzzles i remember solving, like a memory game, which is why i replay adventure games more than anyone i know.

10. Clovis says:

Aren’t y’all endangering the rest of the Advent calendar games by having TWO games in the festering zombie corpse of the Adventure Game genre? What if RFG catches AG-ism and we have to click on every item in a room to escape it instead of just hammering? Although a car racing (Burnout) AG would be pretty original…

Anyway, BTDT was really fun and I keep meaning to buy TGP. I played straight through BTDT and loved it. Unlike Telltale games I actually laughed out loud, instead of saying “heh” every once and awhile. I bought SOMI SE, played for about 20 minutes, and have never gone back. So, good job John on not bowing to sacred cows and such.

11. Garg says:

I’m guessing he’s refering to The Mysteries of Westgate premium module for Neverwinter Nights 2. It was released this year, about two years late due to Atari fannying around with DRM. It wasn’t quite as good as I had hoped; probably better than/around the same as Storm of Zehir. Thus I doubt it will get mentioned, simply as it wasn’t that good and the RPS guys haven’t ever really talked about NWN2 at all really.

12. Garg says:

Gah this was meant to a reply to James G in the SovietMudKipz replies. Hot damn that reply button.

13. Lilliput King says:

Yes yes yes yes.

Excellent game all round.

14. Gpig says:

IMO RPS needs more AG coverage FFS

15. malkav11 says:

I think what I’ve seen of Time Gentlemen, Please! is substantially funnier than Ben There, Dan That! although both are amusing.

16. Nate says:

I just cannot do the old-school point and click adventure games anymore. I used to have more patience with them as a kid. While I did enjoy BTDT and TGP, I kept bumping up to what I feel the limitations are of the genre where there is only one solution to each problem, and even if I came up with some way to combine items that should physically work for a different solution, it didn’t work just because that wasn’t the way the author had envisioned, whereas in a game like Half-Life 2 with some of the physics puzzles, as long as your way to solve it physically worked you didn’t have to solve it exactly as intended. I would like to see adventure games move in that direction where every object behaves as it should physically and so solutions the authors may not have thought of would work instead of needing to get on the exact same wavelength as the author who may not think the same way you do.

I really do like the comedy and story, but I’m currently playing through SOMI SE and I have zero patience with it. I find myself often mashing the hint system just so I can advance the story, because the gameplay doesn’t do it for me anymore; it just doesn’t feel fun hunting for that one thing that will advance the story, or pixel hunting, or smashing combine on every item in the inventory just to see what works. I feel like adventure games really could make some advances that would make them more fun to play without losing their character, but maybe they’re not just for me now and I’d rather have more of an action/adventure hybrid.

I still have The Longest Journey to play through, and I really hope I can enjoy going through that game because I’ve heard so many good things, but I’m going to take a break after SOMI first just to make sure I give TLJ the chance it deserves.

• Nate says:

Also, Machinarium looks like a beautiful game. The art, music, setting, story – I think I would enjoy all of those things. I love the direction. However, I’m very scared to try the game for the reasons I just mentioned, so perhaps I should admire it from afar and not ruin it by disliking the gameplay itself.

• luminosity says:

Have you played any of the penumbra games? While not all their puzzles work this way, most of them do. It’s probably my favourite adventure game, in so far as you can count it as one.

• bill says:

I’m with you there. Infact, I downloaded BTDT ages ago, but one of the reasons i’ve been putting off installing it is that i fear it’ll be exactly as you described.

Infact, I fear it’ll be worse, because it’s comedy element will probably lead to it being even more illogical in it’s solutions that other adventure games. Ok, so the hammer and nail didn’t work to open that door, but using the weasel on the coathanger works just fine. Er, ok.

I’m sure i’ll get around to it sometime, and i’ve been meaning to try TLJ too. But like you I can’t really cope with the illogical gameplay-blocks of adventure games these days. But I could spend a month playing through The Last Crusade when i was young.

Been meaning to try Penumbra and Machinarium too, as Samorost was one of the only adventure game’s i’ve enjoyed in the last 10 years.

17. rargphlam says:

I’m 19 and I’ve loved all the games they’ve done so far.

Where does that put me?

18. Shazbut says:

“Time Gentlemen, Please! is a better game than The Secret Of Monkey Island.”

Adventure games are not just crazy humour and obscure and difficult puzzles, they are the closest we are at to interactive fiction. The genre stays alive because some people want to tell stories using a computer that would suggest that they themselves, are not, in fact, angry virgins who are obsessed with violence. Most people not conditioned to enjoy the process of finding TENNIS RACKET to use on PANTYHOSE would never find a game like DOTT fun, and they’re right not to. As a game experience, that stuff is outmoded. It’s barely enjoyable. Grim Fandango on the other hand, and the Secret of Monkey Island are rich with plot and atmosphere and feeling and are so far removed, in maturity as much as anything else (actual interpersonal relationships!!!) from the sophomoric wank that makes up most of what we play, that this is why the genre survives.

Never mind that SOMI is perfectly scripted and paced beautifully. Honestly, John…what the hell man? All you care about is the jokes and puzzles?

• jsutcliffe says:

Oddly, DOTT was the only old Lucasarts adventure (from Loom to Grim Fandango) I actually genuinely enjoyed, and not just enjoyed out of nostalgia, when the Monkey Island remake made me want to play them again.

• John Walker says:

No! Because SOMI has a rubbish story!

Heavens to betsy, remember what happens? It was a skeleton of a story, with some fun characters and silly puzzles along the way. It was not a great literary classic. TGP has a FAR more involved story.

19. Vinraith says:

I bought this one direct awhile ago (and picked up Ben There Dan That too) but haven’t really had a chance to play it. I think, like Alec, I keep hoping I’ll find an adventure game that will remind me why I used to like them. Here’s hoping this will do the job.

20. TooNu says:

Nice read :)
    RPS does this well, the Blood Bowl diary, the boardgames diary, the EvE tales, the Evil KOTOR diary…now it helps make Christmas more exciting and enjoyable ahhh great.

21. gulag says:

If Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer were alive today and starting out in comedy, they would make something like this, rather than go hang out at Channel 4 nicking biscuits.

22. Ozzie says:

I just played through the demo of Time Gentlemen, Please! and made it to the church in Ben there, Dan That. While it was amusing so far, I didn’t think it was an amazing experience. I didn’t have the urge to continue and to find out what happens next. The humor is kinda funny, though the constant fourth wall breaking isn’t very much so. The gameplay is rather unoriginal comedy adventure standard. I guess it’s simply not my type of humor, so I don’t enjoy it as much.
    Hrm, also, maybe I’m not amazed by it because we Germans actually got some other proper adventures in the meantime? Like Edna and Harvey, The Whispered World, Book of Unwritten Tales,….I hope they make it to the international markets soon, they’re good to great.
    Not that they’re innovative or anything, gameplaywise they’re still extremely traditional.

23. Ozzie says:

Just played through Ben there, Dan that, and…well, it was okay. If it’s a taste of what’s to expected of TGP!, then I’m not too excited, though.

24. Morph says:

Not having much pateince I cheated and used a walk through maybe 10 times in Time Gentlemen Please, compared to just the once in Ben There, Dan That.

The puzzles just seemed far more convoluted, which is a shame, and what leads me to prefering BTDT over TGP. Still a good game though, and deserving of advent calender-ing.

25. bill says:

Do these games have frustratingly random puzzles and lead to just clicking on every possible combination, finding that none of them work, and then consulting Gamefaqs to see what you missed?

Or are they good?

26. Ozzie says:

I think the enjoyment of the game really depends on if you like the humor, if you find it lol worthy.
    Gameplaywise, the series is at best solid, at worst tedious and tiresome.
    Anyway, here‘s the demo of TGP! and there the full version of BTDT. Try it for yourself!