Hot Hot: Igneous

By Jim Rossignol on December 9th, 2009 at 4:54 pm.

Having spotted this over on the almighty TIGSource I thought “looks interesting.” Having played it, I can now upgrade that to “is awesome.” Igneous is a kind of rock, which is interesting because Igenous rocks. Sorry. It’s actually a kind of Wipeout-with-a-jumping-head-meets-Sonic 3D. Something like that. It’s not easy, and you will plunge into magma. Oh, just go and play it, because everyone should. This fiery fruit of the Digipen Institute is 115mb, and can be obtained here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Railick says:

Wipeout was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this screen shot. Certainly going to try this one when I get home.

2. Crusoe says:

1st?! [No, and please do not do that here - RPS]

Looks cool. Downloading now :D

3. Crusoe says:

Oh no first :S

But yeah, I did kinda like wipeout. Hope it takes the best bits and improves upon them.

4. fishyjoes says:

This game is just like escaping from a real vulcano: its dangerously exicting but incredible hard and frustating.

5. Krondonian says:

I tried to download this the other day after LewieP mentioned it on his Twitter, but the download seems completely borked.

On Firefox, it just goes ‘unknown time remaining’ for the whole time, then finally comes up with a corrupted installer. What am I doing wrong?

6. Max says:

I played it a few months ago when it first came out though maybe it’s been updated since then.

I like the graphics and physics, but I found it to be rather frustrating. Especially towards the end it seemed like chance played a rather large role.

7. Durns says:

I can see the ‘dangerously exciting but hard’ side of the similarity, but frustrating? I imagine the moment you spend having time to get frustrated in your magma-fleeing perambulation is a moment better spent NOT DYING.

8. Kynes says:

I caught this a couple months ago and thought it was really awesome, but pretty damn hard in quite a few spots. Addictive to a point, though it did eventually get frustrating.

9. St4ud3 says:

Since the download doesn’t really work, here is a downloak link I found on Destructoid: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U1G3L6WR

10. Buemba says:

Holy hell, I can’t get past the bridge. After a while it gets so hectic I can’t even see my totem amid all the debris and explosions and always end up jumping straight into a hole or getting knocked out to the side.

Reminds me a bit of the hoverbike level in Battletoads, which is both good and bad.

11. BreadLust says:

I also found the game to be incredibly difficulty and frustrating, in a “this is pretty unfair” way.

So before you start complaining, make sure you’re not playing it on “Impossible,” because, well, it is.

12. Will Graham says:

Thanks for the article Jim!

“That’s before I realized that there’s a bug that sets the difficulty to “Impossible” after you make any kind of changes (screen resolution etc.)”

Indeed, we’ve had a fixed build ready since like the day after the game was released, but DigiPen has yet to put it up =\

• Buemba says:

Any plans to expand this into a full-fledged game? If this was a demo I’d have purchased the full version in a heartbeat after playing it.

13. Ragnar says:

I really don’t understand why people complain about it being hard. At least not on normal difficulty (didn’t try impossible, since I wasn’t that excited about the gameplay). I finished it in about 15 minutes (and I don’t think I’m that good at games). The only thing needed is to retry until you finish it.

How easy do you want a game? Impossible to fail?

14. army of none says:

I loved the visual style of this game. The actual GAMEPLAY was soooo simplistic, but man… those purty graphics and sense of speed! Very cool tech demo!

15. Vinraith says:

OK, that is completely freaking awesome in every respect but one:

“Xbox 360 controller preferred”

Bad, BAD game developers. No cookie for you. Especially since it won’t even acknowledge the existence of my Logitech controller, so I’m left playing with the damned keyboard.

• bill says:

Does this mean it’s made in XNA?

What’s with the recent trend that ONLY xbox360 controllers work in games? For decades we’ve been able to use any old serial/usb controller in dos/windows games… why are we suddenly unable to use them?

• Vinraith says:

I’m starting to think I should add “doesn’t respect my choice of controller” to the list of developer sins that prevent me from supporting a game. I really dislike this trend.

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Awesome! I mean, there’s a real danger of getting RSI because of the frantic space-bar usage and there’s bonus points for it being freely available with the other main negative being the ‘death’-thingie (is it possible to space-bar ones way through it? I admit I haven’t tried what with my wrist being rather abused by the game proper).

Difficult, yes, but it’s also challenging and not impossible. I also really like that, most of the time, you can see what’s happening and react to it (the bridge being a very good example what with the falling blocks and balls of fiery doom).

17. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz says:

Funny…I stopped playing when i died eight times in a row because a stone or laserray blocked my view.
    Nonetheless ,all in all, a good Effort.

18. CTA says:

I have two things to say about this game:
    1) YOP
    2) YUP

Impossible mode is hyperbole, but not by much. The bridge level was mostly luck on impossible.

19. negativedge says:

this is a really bad game.

which is, you know, to be expected for people going to school for this sort of thing. I especially enjoy the GIANT LETTERS explaining that this is a REAL GAME made by MEN who know how to CODE rather than gits working with middleware. Good job, boys. Now to find someone on campus with some design sensibilities.

20. bookwormat says:

This was a fucking awesome experience.

21. vicx says:

So glad you finally caught this. I put this up there with ‘Narbacular Drop’ as far as the potential it has to be turned into a masterpiece. The feeling of fight and flight is unparalleled. It felt like playing inside the very best parts of a hollywood blockbuster disaster movie but without the baggage of a lame duck story.

22. SAeN says:

fantastic that was, give it some time, add a few more stages and sell it…I’d happily buy it. And add different view filters, i.e. negative vision, inverted vision, that sort of thing, could be psychedelic!

23. Collic says:

Fun little game. It seems very tough initially but once you get the hang of it, it’s not that tricky. Although admittedly a lot of that is learning the routes. I think it has potential for a 5- 10 quid game if the content was there.

The game gets a lot easier when you realise you can jump out of most deaths.

24. Will Graham says:

That’s entirely up to who wants to pay us to do it ;)

We’d love to make a full game around this concept, but it’s all going to depend on what kind of opportunities come our way.

25. Scalene says:

Man, I’d pay for it.

That was a blast.

26. Joseph says:

That was crazy – I advise playing through on normal and then impossible, or just impossible until you can’t get any further and switch to normal. I did the latter, because of the bug which sets it to impossible after you change video settings.

27. Jeff says:

anyone else get the error dialog “Failure to it graphics: CheckDeviceType() has failed!” when trying to run the game? me = sad 8(

i’m running a fairly recent machine that can play Modern Warfare 2 a good fps with no problems. It has Windows XP, Intel Core Duo 2 2ghz, 2gb ram, gforce 9700 gt 512mb.

28. Mr.Nice says:

That was a whole lot of fun. The sound design especially stood out for me. That coupled with the sense of velocity made for an exhilarating experience. And it felt FRESH. I really hope this gets developed into a fully fledged game, probably priced at 5-10$ as others mentioned, I’m sold on the concept and execution.

29. Edib0y says:

Yeah, I would pay for it too. It was just so excitiong to play those 3 levels. For ~5 h game I definately would pay $10

30. Urthman says:

31. Will graham says:

“What would really be awesome is if this game had a Trackmania-style replay cam after each level. Especially one that would look backwards to show the lava gaining on you from behind.”

We wanted to do this but unfortunately didn’t have time. I started work on it at one point but had to change my priorities =(

32. Jeff says:

I had to actually downgrade my NVIDIA drivers for my gforce 9600GT. I was running the most recent version (December): 195.62. I downgraded to the next lower version (October): 191.07. Now the game loads!

The game is one of the most polished, fun, exciting indy games i have ever played. Great job!

33. HI!! says:

GOOD GAME ! ! ! ! ! ! ! The Graphics is NICE ! ! ! !

Comment on this story