More-derlands: Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2009 at 6:55 pm.

I’ve not even had time to starting playing the first bit of expansionising DLC for Borderlands and another one has been announced. Titled “Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot” it will apparently feature “an intense single-player or cooperative experience that expands the mayhem by adding three new Riot Mode arenas where players will endure an onslaught of Pandora’s baddest enemies.” Hmm. Additionally: “Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot also adds a new bank feature, which allows players extra storage capacity for when they encounter one of the more than 16 million weapons that Borderlands has to offer; and the ability to acquire two additional skill points as quest rewards, making their characters even more powerful than before.” So that’s good, but shouldn’t a bank or locker system have been patched it anyway? Wasn’t it one of the most obvious oversights in the basic game?

It’s hitting consoles on the 7th of January, and the PC release date is, naturally enough, undisclosed.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Torgen says:

DRM rage transfer in 3… 2…

Kelron says:

Yet another illustration of why I hate the modern incarnation of DLC. Banks are a standard feature of this kind of game, and noticeably absent in Borderlands.

3. Jozzy says:

Personally I found the arena quests the least interesting part of the game, think I will skip this one.

4. Wedge says:

Of course it should have been patched in, along with a number of other common sense fixes to the core gameplay. But this is the glorious console era, where you get minor half assed game fixes as paid content with a smattering of new content.

5. l1ddl3monkey says:

It’s the +2 extra points “giving you a more powerful character than ever before” bit that puts me off. This is just well disguised pay-for-stats-padding.

At least it doesn’t have any fahkin’ zombies in it.

6. Shalrath says:

I swear to God, Gearbox is doing everything in it’s power to make me hate that company. I want so much to like them, but Jesus, at every turn they look like assholes.

‘Valve are jerks and fanboys, here’s our shoddy PC port.’
    ‘Steam is a ripoff and hurts small developers, check out our GAME FUCKING SPY multiplayer!’
    ‘We released an incomplete game – buy the pieces that would have made it worth while.’

Seriously guys, I know most of this is probably 2K, but you look like assholes.

• PleasingFungus says:

“Shoddy PC port”?

It’s not perfect, sure – the interface has some really clunky spots, and it’s a little more demanding on my machine than I’d like for a game at its graphical level – but I’d hardly call it ‘shoddy’. Point your fingers Assassin’s Creed-ward, please.

“We released an incomplete game – buy the pieces that would have made it worth while”?

Don’t be ridiculous. “Incomplete game” – what does that even mean? I’ve had an incredible time with the game, playing with one-two-three other people – ended up starting no fewer than three characters in quick succession, so that everyone would be at an equal level, and the game held up. The game is flawed, yes. I’m not especially fond of the multiplayer quest model (makes it too easy for clients to get desynced, lose out on the ability to get quest rewards, massive frustration), the lack of a storage vault in the base game is unfortunate, the humor is… slightly lower-brow than I’d prefer. (Not that juvenile humor is something you’d patch out, even if Gearbox felt the need) But there are so many joys in the game – Mordecai’s magical gibbing-bird, the thrill of Brick’s PNEUMATIC PUNCHING MACHINE, the hectic chaos of four-player co-op, simply firing any of the guns in the game for the first time (ooo, it’s a shotgun with a revolver chamber and a scope! Whoa, that rocket launcher fires three rockets at once!), that I find it completely ridiculous to claim it’s not “worth while”. I paid $35 for it, and it is worth every penny and more*.

“Steam is a ripoff and hurts small developers, check out our GAME FUCKING SPY multiplayer!”

And this point I’ll agree with you on. Sheesh, guys. Gamespy? Is it 1999 in here, or is it just me?

*Very probably even retail price!

• TCM says:

I have been playing with the Fungus, and can confirm pretty much everything he has said.

• derFeef says:

The truth!

• kwyjibo says:

You missed out the bit where the game comes SecuROM free on Steam, but if you buy the DLC, it forces itself upon it, giving you sexy limited installs.

Yeah, SecuROM on top of Steam, eat that bitches!

• luminosity says:

Don’t forget actually taking Borderlands down in NZ/Au then putting it back up for fully $30 more. And of course the DLC is $3 more, even though were charged in US dollars.

Pleasing Fungus:

No toggle aim, only hold.
      No hold crouch, only toggle.
      Awful UI that sits in the centre of the screen instead of the edges.
      Mouse smoothing.
      Terrrrrrible driving model.
      etc, etc

It’s a terrible port.

• luminosity says:

Err, not to mention that PC is clearly not a priority for them, receiving patches and DLC later, without any real improvements to justify that added time.

This is not to say I don’t think the game is fun. It is. (Though they’re nowhere near as funny as they think) But it doesn’t excuse the appalling state of the base game.

• PleasingFungus says:

kwyjibo: I’ve been skipping the DLC. It’s a separate issue than the base game.

luminosity: The price-screwing is a publisher issue, not as such a dev/game issue. I gather it happens for you guys with basically all AAA games, too; doesn’t justify it, but maybe puts it in perspective an issue?

“No toggle aim, only hold.
      No hold crouch, only toggle.
      Awful UI that sits in the centre of the screen instead of the edges.
      Mouse smoothing.
      Terrrrrrible driving model.”

Not sure what your complaint is referring to exactly in the third and fifth points (the driving model is basically a Warthog, same as with Halo PC – it worked for me then and works for me now), but the others are problems, yeah. Not horrible game-breaking things, but niggles. These are things that should have been set-up for a truly perfect PC port, and Gearbox should have put them in on release.

On the plus side, thanks to their support for modding, there is a fan-made massive configuration tool that lets you fix all of the problems you mentioned and more.

So call it a wash.

• luminosity says:

PleasingFungus: It definitely does not happen with all major publishers, and needs to be killed before it does spread to them. EA, as far as I can tell charge us the same prices; Ubisoft. In fact it seems to mostly be Activision (big surprise) and now 2k are getting in on it.

The driving model I haven’t seen in any other game with driving bar Halo PC, and for good reason. It’s awful. Why the hell can’t I look somewhere without having to drive in that direction?

The config tool looks great, thanks for the link, but umm.. it shouldn’t need to be modded in! This is (mostly) stuff the base game should have supported. I actually think it’s terrible that people have had to mod it in.

• JuJuCam says:

I gather it happens for you guys with basically all AAA games, too;

Funnily enough, no. Borderlands is the only game I can think of on Steam where downunderers have a markedly different price to the rest of the West. We pay in US$! Which for a while wasn’t great but since the greenback has tanked Steam versions of games are regularly priced at up to half of what you’ll find a boxed copy in store for. For example Dragon Age: Origins pc version is AU$110 in store whereas I could get it off Steam for US$50 which is about AU$55.

Although I just saw that MW2 is priced at US$90 Steamwise so you could be right.

Aussie gamers not getting access to full uncensored versions of games (or sometimes any versions of games at all) is a separate regulatory issue far aside from price gouging.

• luminosity says:

Alpha Protocol was $20 more for us when they had prices up, which seem to have gone? Red Faction: Guerilla is $30 more for us than the US. DoW2 is $20 more. FEAR 2 is $10 more. It’s certainly not borderlands alone, and has unfortunately been creeping in more and more. That said, it’s mostly THQ, Activision, and now 2K. there’s probably more, but I don’t remember them off the top of my head.

• PleasingFungus says:

On Australian game prices: Ah, what I’d heard must have been about prices for store-bought games (I recall Yahtzee complaining about that once, when I watched ZP). It’s – unpleasant? Unfair? Totally messed up? – that your Steamy window of equality and reasonable game prices is being closed on you. Regional prices, eh? What a mess.

Halo-esque driving: Ehh. I sympathise that you dislike it, but I’ve had no problems with it myself. (Besides getting myself stuck in corners in stupid ways, which I would have done just as well with WASD-controls, or whatever other alternative you’d propose. The driving situations in the game, at least the ones I’ve encountered, are never really complex enough that I feel the need to look around actively. …that looks odd as I type it, yet it seems to be the case. Maybe you’re right, and I’m just defending it because I don’t know any better?

But I’ve played plenty of FPSes, some recently, with WASD vehicle controls.

Hm.

Config-tool / options: It’s screwed-up, all right! I wouldn’t say it’s outright terrible – keeping a sense of perspective is important – but is definitely something that should have come with the game out-of-the-box. Heh – maybe Gearbox will take it under their wings, make it official?

Unlikely, but it’d be nice.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

It appears there’s no pleasing fungus (I’ll get me coat…)

7. Jeremy says:

Did a lot of people complain about not having a bank, or are we just starting to retrofit our rage? I haven’t heard any complaints prior to them announcing they’re adding it, so I was just curious.

• Vinraith says:

I don’t onw the game personally, but if you go back and look at previous Borderlands threads it’s a very, very common complaint. I believe the guys even mentioned it in their original review.

Not having a storage vault in an loot-whoring action RPG is fairly insane, after all.

• Jeremy says:

True, I just wasn’t sure if it was that kinda game. I was under the assumption that guns were just discarded at will without the need to save them other than for the sake of nostalgia.

• PleasingFungus says:

You underestimate the lure of nostalgia at your risk. I know I, for one, would rather like a storage vault for myself. (Though I’m probably not going to end up paying for one. Seems excessive.)

• Jeremy says:

I sell everything that has become useless, I just don’t get attached to items. If I were a developer though, I would most definitely make one for the emotionally weak :)

• The Dark One says:

You can actually just edit your savegame to give your character’s backpack 500 slots. If that’s all you wanted from the DLC, do that and save yourself :10bux:.

• Richeh says:

I don’t think I ever vocalised it, but the lack of a bank annoyed me at the very start for a while. Luckily I was playing Torchlight at about the same time and realised that all I ever kept in banks were a)gems, that don’t exist in Borderlands and b) shite I’d never use again.

I’m certainly not going to get this for a clutterhoarding function, an expansion of my least favourite mode and two measly skill points. Gearbox are going to have to churn out something a little more in depth than their addon that adds less content than the average Quake 1 TC. (That said, I quite enjoyed the zombies.)

8. Vinraith says:

Hmm. Second DLC, game still inadequately patched, MP still flaky, storage vault not included in base game, I’m increasingly glad I waited on this one.

• invisiblejesus says:

And I’m increasingly pissed that I didn’t.

• Vinraith says:

…and I just read that the DLC has activation limits. That, officially, tears it. I have no further interest in this game until the avalanche of surrounding problems are fixed, and I have no expectation that such a thing will actually happen.

• invisiblejesus says:

Oh, yeah. 5 activation limit. Even on the Steam version. How is it that Diezel Power or Playbrains can put together a fun, polished, good quality game and sell it to me for $10, then keep up with free updates and/or kickass multiplayer, but Gearbox and 2K can’t even do that and still expect $50 for their work? No professional pride at all.

• Psychopomp says:

DLC activation limits…

And people still tear on EA, why?

• Thermal Ions says:

Not anymore, 2K are now our arch enemy with EA held up as an example of a publisher that seems to finally have gotten it.

• Richeh says:

…at a guess, because $10 buys a game you’re content with being significantly less complex or technically advanced, and it’s easier to patch? I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just sympathising with the programmers – as you add people to a project, it gets exponentially harder to maintain code.

9. Clovis says:

In the future gamers will be shocked that patches were free…

• PleasingFungus says:

As the example of developers like Valve (L4D / TF2), Blizzard (Diablo II), Relic (DoW II), Cryptic Comet (Armageddon Empires), and others so clearly show…. yep, the trend is definitely towards paid content instead of free patches! Developers that are offering DLC now certainly wouldn’t have withheld post-release support entirely in the old days, absoloodle! Digital distribution certainly isn’t encouraging clever developers to offer more free content than ever for the massive sales boosts they cause! You are right in every cynical, world-hating word you said!

(I was driven to rage by your gratuitous use of the ellipse.)

• Clovis says:

Sorry, I started reading Steppenwolf so I feel sorta’ wolrd-hatey now. I think I was actually aiming for aloofness; I’m not really being serious. I’m not a L4D2 boycotter or something. Well, I haven’t bought L4D2, but that’s because I’m stingy.

Having said that, there definitely is an increasing number of “updates” that seem like they should be patches. Obviously TF2 is not in this category. TF2 is in a special category that no one else will ever be a part of …

• PleasingFungus says:

Ha, reading about Steppenwolf on Wiki, I can see how it’d make you that way. Totally understandable.

I do agree that there’s a lot more micro-DLC going around these days, but… in the Good Old Days, patches were pretty much bugfixing or game-balance tweaking things only. You didn’t get new units, new maps, new game modes (!) – heck, with a lot of devs, you were lucky if major game-breaking bugs weren’t left to the community to fix! To me, the relatively-recent rise of patches that actually add new content is kind of amazing and wonderful, and all the complaints that there ISN’T ENOUGH GRR ARGH (not that I’m placing you in that category, Clovis) seems pretty weird. It’s basically saying, “I didn’t pay $50 just for the game I got in the box!” Which suggests, to me, that maybe you shouldn’t be paying $50 in the first place*.

And I just want to emphasize, for examples of devs following in Valve’s TF2-example – Cryptic Comet hasn’t gone as far, no-one has, but they did release two ‘micro-expansions’ 100% free after the game’s release – the first of which, from what I gather, would probably have qualified as a full expansion paid expansion, if the dev had wanted to release it as such. Relic, too, released The Last Stand free, an entire new game mode just for the fans… Valve/TF2 is way ahead of everyone else in post-release support, but it is by no means alone, and this is a NEW THING, not some standard from the Elder Days from which all other devs have now fallen.

*The only AAA game I got for full retail price this year was Empire: Total War, which I now consider a mistake. It’s a great game, but a deeply flawed one, and I should have waited for a sale. Everything else, excepting indie stuff, I got 25% or 40% or 50% off. That’s how I stay happy with my games!)

10. jon_hill987 says:

I wish everyone would stop getting paid for DLC. If it wasn’t profitable perhaps developers would just finish the game before releasing it.

• TCM says:

Would it be entirely shocking for you to learn that most DLC is stuff that was either developed after the game went gold (as in, being manufactured, no changes to core code possible), or stuff that was cut from the game for causing problems (Shale in dragon age, fixed post-gold)?

• Psychopomp says:

But, TCM, DLC IS TEH EVUL KILLAN GAEMS!

• PleasingFungus says:

it is also the cancer killing /b/

• Richeh says:

DLC isn’t evil, it’s lovely to add bits on to a game you love. It’s just unfortunate that the logical progression is intentionally leaving content out of your game to release later as DLC. It’s at times like this when piracy isn’t just not wrong, but is your capitalist, democratic duty.

• TCM says:

That’s a slippery slope if I’ve ever seen one.

11. Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

Borderlands DLC is about as underwhelming as the game itself. Maybe when Randy is done bashing other developers, and dispensing wisdom no one asked for his company can actually make a game with a functioning mulitplayer component.

• PleasingFungus says:

Trolll, go back under your bridge

Maybe when you’re done making ad hominem arguments and committing other logical fallacies, you can actually support your claims with (even anecdotal) evidence

(but probably not)

• DK says:

It is broken.

• PleasingFungus says:

DK:
      “If you’re defending the Borderlands multiplayer – any part about, infrastructure or UI – you’re insane. It’s blatantly broken, from the “PC pirates are so evil!”-no-cd-key-check to the other-players-modded-games-corrupt-your-save code.”

I’ve encountered none of the issues you mentioned. The… oh, I see, you’re saying it checks to see if you have a CD in, not that there’s isn’t a “CD-key check” – the DRM isn’t included in the Steam version of the game, unless you buy the DLC, which I haven’t. (Also, how does that relate to multiplayer?) The corrupt-save problem I have heard of, but it was fixed before I bought the game.

The multiplayer is certainly flawed – I’ve criticized it earlier in this thread – but only, in my experience, in ways that don’t significantly affect the game experience. Literally 100% of my time with Borderlands has been spent in multiplayer, and it has been an excellent experience.

(When I can get my group together, that is. But that’s a standard coordination problem – it becomes exponentially more difficult to organize anything with more people involved. Mediiiiiiii)

• Thermal Ions says:

Got to defend Steve here – his post is hardly troll worthy, more an expression of the frustration a number of us feel at times. Of my 175 hrs of Borderlands I’ve probably played 90% online multiplayer with a core group and on numerous occassions we’ve had issue with the multiplayer. On some occasions players we wished to have host just couldn’t regardless of Steam / system restarts or relogging into gamespy. We’ve also had instances where we gave up completely and went and played something else as no-one in our group could successfully host. Both of these obviously affect gameplay and the ability to progress quests.

Think yourself lucky Fungus.

12. Heliocentric says:

Patching in fundamental features is nice support. Charging for it is bullshit.

Borderlands and Dragon age can sit on the naughty step until a version which is both reasonably priced and contains the storage is available.

Do you release a shooter where jumping is dlc? Maybe a racing game where you add dlc to use the hand brake?

In a game with “lots of shit” you don’t bring out a “store more shit” dlc.

• jsutcliffe says:

Your analogies are broken. There is no core functionality missing — the bank is an enhancement.

• Vinraith says:

Storage vaults are not a standard feature of party-based RPG’s like Dragon Age, in fact I can’t recall ever having played a game of that subgenre that DID include storage.

Storage vaults very much ARE a standard feature of action RPG’s like Borderlands, however, where the core gameplay is centered around collecting loot. Charging for the inclusion of such a thing, while not analogous to charging for “jumping” or “handbrakes,” is generally disrespectful to the consumer and shouldn’t be tolerated.

• Optimaximal says:

If you think an item store is a mere enhancement to a dungeon crawler, then you seriously need to play more dungeon crawlers.

• Jeremy says:

I agree that it shouldn’t be charged, but I don’t agree with the analogies. Jumping is necessary, storing items is a convenience.

• Starky says:

Eh, it’s nothing like dragon age, yeah they charged you for a DLC with a storage box, but did none of you notice that they provided you with a mod storage box for free? (goes in your main camp) as an example mod.
      Okay, so maybe after the outcry they realized it should have been an original feature and then they supplied it, but THEY SUPPLIED IT.

Unless of course you got it on the 360, then I really couldn’t care less and I hope bioware gouge every penny they can out of you. People who buy dragon age on the 360 (if they have a gaming PC, and assuming anyone who reads this on a gaming PC website probably does) are just aiding the speed in which once great PC game developers abandon the platform as a primary focus, and instead design for console first and foremost.

• Zerotime says:

Your ivory tower must be spectacular, Starky.

13. Dave says:

This is distinctly weird. I’d have loved a bank to store stuff in — especially if I could then trade it to my other characters — but now that I have finished the game roughly a dozen times, I am not thrilled with paying an additional $10 for it now that I’m not likely to use it very much.

I really don’t care about fighting off waves of stuff in an arena; I want more places to go, more stuff to kill, more story, more guns, and more challenge. What we need is something for our level 50 characters to do other than make YouTube videos of clearing Crimson Fastness without weapons.

14. po says:

Quite frankly they can stick their DLC where the sun don’t shine.

The only three letter acronym I want to see them release is the SDK.

Of course they’d then have to work out how to release it for the consoles first.

15. Popular Energy Drink says:

I’ve honestly gone into the negatives in regards to any respect towards both Gearbox and 2K.

Either would have to do some serious improvements to their games/service to get any support from me in the future. Alas.

16. Persus-9 says:

Well I was in two minds about picking up The Island of Dr Ned because I loved Borderlands but buying DLC piecemeal is a suckers game. Now my mind is made up to wait for the GOTY edition. I can wait a year, I haven’t even got the Fallout 3 DLC yet.

17. Trithemius says:

Arena mode in co-op is incredibly entertaining. Like the good bits of MMOs without all the tedious crap.

It might be less fun in SP mode, but if you haven’t tried Arena missions with your mates backing you up (or stealing your firgin’ ammo…) you are officially Missing Out.

Bank is welcome, although there’s a big “we’ll see” w.r.t. how it is implemented… the “bank” in Dragon Age makes me want to cry (and I filled it up…).

• Thermal Ions says:

Your friends are letting you down if the Solly doesn’t have his ammo regeneration mod on.

18. Anonymous says:

Nice to see they have their priorities straight.

After all, no one would pay for a patch.

19. Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

Did you just go to the wikipedia page on logical fallacies and copy and paste a bunch terms you found? I find it odd that you would accuse me of baseless ad hominem attacks while in your same post you dismiss me as a troll.

• Steve the Imperial Guardsmen says:

I am no longer a broken reply virgin. Anyway, that was directed at PleasingFungus.

• PleasingFungus says:

Heh, that’d have been fun! Though I’d probably have gotten some more exotic ones, like the Fallacy of Four Terms, or Ignoratio elenchi. No, I just got a little carried away while replying. Your attacks were baseless and ad-hominem, and remain so, as you still haven’t given any kind of justification for your claims. But the first line (trolll) was a little excessive, and you could fairly say that I was indulging in a bit of ad hominem myself.

You may consider that first line stricken from the record, and feel free to reply to the rest. (By justifying, or at least trying to justify, your claims that Borderlands has no “functioning multiplayer component”.)

• Shalrath says:

Gamespy. GAME FUCKING SPY.

Seriously, I feel like I’m in 1998 trying to find a QTF match in Mplayer.

Only it’s worse, and I paid more for it.

20. gulag says:

This has been the love/hate game of the year for me. Pitchford needs to let his dev team in on the crazy claims he’s making when he talks shit up, so maybe they can include them in the game.

BTW, the unsung hero of Borderlands is the incredibly talented concept artist and illustrator Keith Thompson, whos influence you can see all the way through the game. Catch more of his blisteringly good artwork here:

21. The Right to Arm Bears says:

May I point out that one of the great reasons to have a banking system for storing your extra weapons is trading your freaking extra weapons ? Trade system please? How about transfer of weapons between characters, as someone above pointed out? How many sweet revolvers have you found that you wish you could give to your hunter?

Also, if I may weigh in on the game in general there are a few observations that I think are worthwhile. I suspect that it’s such a disappointment because it’s so bloody awesome in so many ways, but lacks the polish to make the experience as wonderful as it should have been. Think of all those greek statues missing arms. Also imagine that your eyes don’t work quite right ;). The only real dealbreaker is the shoddy, substandard, completely awful implementation of multiplayer. With a good group it can be wonderful, but it’s just a ton of work to set up and questing in multiplayer is not even really worth the attempt. And please don’t flame me with the complaint “port-forwarding is easy, you’re not a pc gamer if you aren’t willing to do it, etc etc.” It’s hardly easy, there is essentially one guide anywhere on the internet, and it doesn’t even come close to handling most of the questions I have about the process (most of which revolve around the security of such an operation). There are plenty of locally hosted games that require no further opening/forwarding of ports (Titan quest, L4D — both currently installed on my hard drive). The point is: this stuff should just work. Period. It’s almost 2010. Not to mention the fact that half the people online are using hacked stuff, but I suppose that’s a complaint against human nature in general. Total blast of a game, but multiplayer support on the PC is just ghastly, and it’s arguably the most fun to be had in the game. My two cents.

• PleasingFungus says:

I agree with you 100%! The port forwarding is mostly a problem I haven’t encountered – my uni connection seems to have all of its ports open as can be – but it means that when I’m playing with friends, I’m the only one who can host, even though my computer’s not the best of the lot. Not a deal-breaker – as you said, actually playing the multiplayer is excellent – but a bit of a needless shame.

Also, a completely ridiculous tip about trading between characters: my brother, experimenting, discovered that you could launch two copies of the game (on the same computer!), have them connect to a LAN game, and trade items. It’s a bizarre workaround, and Gearbox absolutely should add some kind of trading system, but until/unless…

• BIG MAN says:

This is true. What makes it particularly surprising is that this even works through Steam — you can launch it multiple times even through the Steam games list.

I’m a personal fan of setting the resolution to something like 800×600 and making it windowed, so I can see both screens at once, but you could technically do it with two fullscreen copies running.

• Tei says:

Here is the list of ports (I will not tell you what need UDP, what need TCP, and what need both.. Oh mystery!)

3783 (Voice Chat Port)
      27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
      28900 (Master Server List Request)
      29900 (GP Connection Manager)
      29901 (GP Search Manager)
      13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
      6515 (Dplay UDP)
      6500 (Query Port)
      7777 (TCP/UDP)

My router only supports 12 open ports, and is not rare here (most routers suck). So I will probably need to remove these laters to able other games. I can understand the game needing 1 port, 2 ports, but this??.

• CMaster says:

Tei – you don’t need all of those. I only set up 5 forwarded ports and it works fine.

• Jeremy says:

See, this for me is the only real reason a person would even need a bank of some sort. Why would I stare at a weapon, with a tear in my eye, that served me well for a few levels just for the sake of it? It’s not like I’m going to re-equip it and go have a picnic and reminisce about the “good ol days”. That’s why a Dragon Age bank is literally of no use to me, and why the Torchlight bank makes so much sense.

22. Derek K. says:

Bears Arms hit it.

The game is really good. And it could be AWESOME. But there are niggling flaws, which make you angrier than if the game sucked.

Course, I got Borderlands on the console, because my friends did. So 95% of the problems don’t bother me.

I did, though, get Dragon Age on the PC. And gods, have the mods been worth it.

23. The Fanciest Of Pants says:

You know, I’ve been really enjoying my time with borderlands, but one thing in particular about it bothers me… The final boss drops garbage loot… a couple of guns at best, and I’ve only ever gotten blues or worse from him.

It’s really weird that in a game pretty much entirely about item hunting that the final boss isn’t the biggest loot piñata of them all. This goes for some of the earlier bosses too; sure a few of them drop specific boss-themed loot, but where’s the explosion of shiny things we’ve come to expect from diablo-alikes?

• Tei says:

Maybe because the weapons are good out of luck, and not just quality. You can have a weapon of quality green that is better than a orange. The reason is that there are lots of stats, so a weapon can have 5 stats that are meaningless, but other weapon of less quality have the key stats that make the weapon awesome.
      I have done the endboss once, and him dropped a lot of eridian weapons.

• Thermal Ions says:

The thing is that people generally expect a boss fight, especially the final boss, to drop better stuff. There was nothing stopping them from tweaking the odds to increase the chance of the bosses dropping great loot. As it stands, it seems there’s minuscule odds of drops being decent for those without boss specific drops.

• Chris R says:

Fanciest of Pants: I hear you, and mostly agree. However I believe the devs didn’t want you to farm 3 bosses over and over again just because they dropped the best loot. See Diablo 2 as an example (Meph/Baal/Pindleskin runs endlessly). So they scattered weapon chests all over the world so you could decide to fight wherever and still have a decent chance of getting a really nice weapon.

I actually like the way Borderlands does it, since my friends and I can just head off somewhere and not worry that we’re not in “optimal loot dropping zones” or whatever.

But yes, more kick ass loot from killing the boss the first time would have been nice. :)

24. Richeh says:

Actually, their DRM policy is suddenly making sense; it’s market segmentation. While getting the full chunk of money off lawabiding citizens, they let pirates steal it, but play the lethargy card to get (some of) them to shell out five to ten quid for the expansions, and to play on the official servers. That way they get massive popular hype, the money from the guy in the street, and a small contribution from pirates.

It’s bloody genius.

• Tei says:

@Richeh: Pirates are not different than normal people. Already have the big Cake, so will pay for a small pancake? I know some people like pancakes, but you already have the whole cake for free, so maybe you don’t really need more. Also, the pancake is green and brown, and taste funny.

25. Vhati says:

Anyone who thinks the DRM policy makes sense is an idiot.

All games have been cracked. Pirates are even playing online Modern warfare 2. DRM hurts 2 people. Paying customers, and The dev/publisher because they payed for the DRM.

Not only do less people buy DRM stuff, they simply pirate it because it will be DRM free. So by treating them like criminals, they decide to prove them right and not buy thier product.

Also. Studies have shown that Pirates actually buy more games/music than non pirates overall.

26. Skyve says:

Ok, Fallout (the original one) was party-based and you could already store the stuff wherever you wanted. And don’t forget about the car in second game.

27. Riaktion says:

I simply say… HOORAY!

I like Borderlands.

28. Chris R says:

I got the first DLC and am enjoying that quite a bit with my 4 player coop group. As long as there is an equal amount of content with this up-coming DLC, I’ll pay for it as well.