The RPS Electronic Wireless Show 34

By John Walker on December 11th, 2009 at 8:07 pm.

Imagine if we had a better podcast logo than this one. YOU CAN'T, CAN YOU?

NO YOUR EYES DO NOT DECEIVE YOU. The Rock Paper Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show returns, and in triumphant fashion. (If you understand “triumphant” to mean, “two men with coughs chatting for 45 minutes”.) Led by the guiding hands of your tweeted remarks it’s the only discussion of PC gaming you’ll ever need! (Only as part of a PC gaming discussion controlled diet.)

Discussed this time are our coughs, the nature of being a bare-faced liar, and matters of import. Are there too many zombie games, and what ever happened to the good old gaming villain? What makes the new STALKER, Call of Pripyat distinctive, and what makes Rogue Warrior quite so poop? Why can’t games successfully portray sex? How was 2009 for games? And do games make good Christmas presents? And we once more get tricked into plugging Post Script. AND MUCH MUCH MORE! How could you ever resist listening?

Get the mp3 directly from here, subscribe to it by RSS with this, or get it on iTunes from here.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jsutcliffe says:

I cannot resist listening, since you asked!

2. [dandan] says:

Awesome! I love the podcasts, seems like an age since the last one.

3. Skusey says:

Thank you, I’ll listen to this tomorrow.

4. Colthor says:

Hurrah!

5. Vinraith says:

Wow, nice to see the return of the podcasts. It’s been what, 2 months since the last one if we don’t count the L4D2 special?

6. Bobsy says:

WELL YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. Tell us when you stop recording. Especially since you openly admit to abandoning the RPS twitter feed in the cold savage hinterlands between podcasts. It’d be nice to know when the window for questions about thighs and coco pops has closed.

• Vinraith says:

Better yet, open up a comments thread here (or at least in the forums, if you want to reduce traffic) when you want user responses. Not all of us use (or want to use) Twitter.

• Nighthood says:

@Vinraith: There is no need for a comments thread, Twitter works fine. It’s only a problem for unrelenting curmudgeons like yourself.

• Vinraith says:

@Nighthood

First, get off my lawn.

Second, curmudgeons are a significant part of the lovable RPS community, and should obviously have a voice. We’ve seen the quality of questions we get from tweetling whippersnappers, I say bring on the curmudgeons!

• Quercus says:

My main problem with Twitter is that while I use it, I don’t have real-time updates sent to my phone, so I often miss the gap between them saying “send us your tweets for the podcast” and them saying “podcast recorded”. A forum thread with a new topic for each podcast would seem a better option.

• Bobsy says:

See this is the thing. They don’t say “podcast recorded”. It’s just common courtesy.

7. jsutcliffe says:

The Alphabet Song is American, and that is why it ends with “zee.” Saying “zed” at the end puts our proud national stamp on it!

/me salutes Blighty

8. Psychopomp says:

Finally!

9. El Stevo says:

I’m pretty sure renaming Coco Pops to Choco Crispies and back was a deliberate and shameless marketing ploy, the scum suckers.

• Bobsy says:

I think the first change was to bring it in line with the greater European branding maybe? Anyway, after a while they put on a mock “election” (I think it was around about ’97 when elections were considered cool) so you could vote for your preferred name. Of course it was a scam – no one would ever have preferred “Choco Krispies” as a name, but they needed to find out if people cared enough to have them change it back.

Apparently they did. Cereals are hard work.

• Optimaximal says:

I’m equally disturbed, disappointed and shocked by the side-lining of Coco in favour of flying milkmen and cavemen violently hitting each other with rocks.

10. Xander51 says:

Fantastic podcast, loved the discussion of villains in games, or rather the lack thereof. I completely agree.

11. Lewis says:

You misunderstand! It’s out next friday! And your copy was sent today Holy!

I promise all four of you that you will receive no further pesterings to talk about Post Script.

12. Kaillan says:

Would of loved to have seen the slew of “stars” voice acting in Mass Effect 2 discussed and wether or not it will be good for the gameplay. There’s no doubt it’s going to be good for the sales, but seeing Martin Sheen voice acting is weird and made his character feel less real in my humble opinion.

• TeeJay says:

Is that Martin Sheen as in “West Wing” or “Twilight”?

13. devlocke says:

I think I woke my roommate up laughing, when you said “Standard British handful” – is that phrase in common usage?

14. TooNu says:

Hehe John and Jim, witty and eloquent *cough* excu..*cough cough* oh dear excuse me (muuhahaha).

Get your hot Lemon drinks guys.

15. terry says:

Splendid to see I’m not the only one tucked in bed with a Lemsip and the RPS team (er).

16. JohnArr says:

Wilhelm scream was appropriate, since I now have to throw myself off a cliff. THANKS YPRBEST.

17. gildron says:

Finally! I’ve been waiting for this for ages. (I really like my podcasts, and it makes me sad when one of them stops updating.)

18. DMJ says:

RPS ‘cast is always worth listening to.

19. Miles of the Machination says:

I share your perverse desire, I’ve always wanted to play CoD4 with a steering wheel, but damned if I’m going to spend $80 just to satisfy my curiosity. I’m also interested in Shattered Horizon, the machanic would make for some pretty interesting gameplay situations, but I don’t know how enduring the experience would be. Also, I expected Jim to at least mention Metro 2033, in light of all of his STALKER escapdades, regardless, great podcast.

20. Manley Pointer says:

Great podcast, the City of Heroes discussion was full of lolz.

I was wondering why nobody brought up Assassin’s Creed in the villains discussion (I guess I should only mention AC1 as the sequel isn’t out for PC yet). The game was basically structured around a string of “bosses,” the list of guys you had to kill, but they were more like puzzles that you solved using your knowledge of the open world.

Those sequences were probably my favorite parts of that very flawed game, because your targets were quite vulnerable when you actually got to them — they were soft bosses that died instantly when you used the hidden blade. (Then conversed with you for 10 minutes or so…)

That said, they weren’t really strong villains as you didn’t spend much time getting acquainted before you showed up to kill them. In theory AC2 has a stronger villain, but it’s so goddamn easy that all the assassination attempts lose whatever puzzling or “creative” elements they might have had in the first game…you can just go in like the Terminator. Unless they introduce a new difficulty level just for PCs, which would be a laudable attempt to separate us from the unwashed console masses.

21. buy world of warcraft accounts says: