The War For Cybertron Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on December 12th, 2009 at 11:13 am.

Following the news that there was going to be another Transformers game, this time a third-person shooter from High Moon Studios, we wondered whether it might not turn out to be rubbish this time. That’s still not entirely clear after this following teaser trailer, which is sadly not in-game footage. Still, it does give you a flavour of thing thing, what with it being set on Cybertron and all that. I guess it’s more of a teaser for the website countdown than anything else, which just has an email-notification sign up form and some spooky noises at present. Trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DMJ says:

Hmm. A trailer which doesn’t even seem to tell us what genre the game is.

But then, marketing doesn’t really care about being informative.

2. Kaillan says:

Only 96 more days till we find out.

3. Bobsy says:

Oddly, while the game in general seems to be working with the seriousest of serious faces, the design for tedious Mary Sue Optimus Prime seems to be based off his Animated counterpart, rather than the spikey-lump movie version.

4. Bobsy says:

For some reason the Youtube vid seems to be out of sync on the audio. Gametrailers have a better version: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/transformers-war-for-cybertron/12451

5. Tei says:

What is the “human beings”? It seems unscapable. Even If we change our bodies from wet flesh to chrome stell and titanium we all act the same as ever.

6. l1ddl3monkey says:

Yup – looks like giant robots is set to replace zombies as the next gamer bandwagon.

• amesace says:

That would be awesome! It’s been way too long since there’s been decent mech games.

• Optimaximal says:

Based on this, Mechwarrior and… what further evidence?

• Poindexter says:

@Optimaximal

This is the internet! How dare you suggest we need evidence to prove anything on the internet!

• Starky says:

Prove this is the internet! What evidence have you for this claim?

7. Theory says:

If this is before they came into contact with Earth, why do they transform into human vehicles?

• Basil Brush says:

Perhaps the Transformers used to have humanoid masters… :P

• Optimaximal says:

Where does the trailer show anything transforming into a human vehicle?

• Tei says:

Because are based on toys, and the explanation why a robot can transform in a vehicle was added later, and is not totally fitting with the theme.

• Bobsy says:

If you could turn into a helicopter, why wouldn’t you?

• MWoody says:

I don’t see any definitively Earth-based vehicles, though I do notice that they’re awfully similar (rubber tires, for example). It’s been a (very) long while since I saw the movie, though, so I don’t recall the sorts of alternate forms they took before landing on Earth.

8. dtgreen says:

Fingers crossed we’re getting a decent time and cash investment. If this is just a 6 hour single player churn-em-out style title I’ll kill all the developers involved.

9. Supraliminal says:

Yup, toys are fighting again.
    It looks a bit silly, seriously.

10. SirKicksalot says:

I wish they’d keep Steve Jablonsky’s movie soundtrack. The sound library is damn good too.

• Bobsy says:

Yes, his soundtrack is the best thing about those movies. Also, it’s fun just saying his name in a nasal New Yoik accent.

“Steve Jablonsky, capiche?”

Yeah.

11. Steve the Imperial Commissar says:

Transformers is dead to me, and this game WILL be terrible.

12. Funky Badger says:

Transformers, Schmanformers. Where’s my ABC Warriors game?

13. FernandoDANTE says:

Zombies > robots.

14. MWoody says:

“Transmission Date: Prior to first contact with Earth”

I can’t help but think of the old joke/puzzle wherein a coin is labeled “900 B.C.”

15. M.P. says:

@Spacewalk: You may have hit on a hit franchise concept with Zobots there! Just picture it: Gobots come back from the dead to eat the brains of Transformers who usurped their place as the most popular giant robot cartoon! Optimus Prime would look a lot cooler holding a cricket bat than that oversized axe they gave him in the trailer!

16. PC Monster says:

@Steve The Imperial Commisar

Transformers is barely alive to me thanks to the shittiest movies imaginable…but that movie looked kinda cool. I have the tiniest flicker of hope that the forthcoming game might actually be some decent cop.

Oh god I feel so fragile.

17. Chaz says:

The only Cybertron I remember was this game from back in the 80′s, where you controlled a guy who’s walking animation was like BOD’s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybertron_Mission

18. tentacleraep says:

Just so you all know it seems it is about 1day 12hours left on the countdown, if i have managed to read the numbers right.

19. Foxfoxfox says:

Optimus Prime still looks like himself, and therefore will surely transform into a truck… Apparently before even contacting earth the autobots naturally evolved into.. cars and things.. because that is the best way to survive?

20. Chris R says:

I thought the article said “Terminator” and was a VERY confused fellow for the space of a minute until my sleepy brain caught up. (“Whhhaaa?? Terminators didn’t come from CYBERTRON, scoff scoff scoff”) Good times.

21. Railick says:

I’m totally conflicted on the movies mahself. The story lines and the way the film was cut were both horrible. But some of the battles between the transformers were just totally incredible. So I sit there and watch both of them all the way through but after they’re over I feel dirty. (like, why are the autobots so violent and always cursing and talking in slang, who’s idea was this? The bad guys almost never curse but the autobots drop curse words CONSTANTLY) I sit through the movies wishing they were over but at the same time couldn’t look away as Prime tore apart Megatron. The movies could have been so much better that is the worst part about it all :(. The autobots should have been the focus not the humans and they should have been good people. They make the autobots look like ganstas and only Prime and Bumblebee are actually good people, the rest would kill humans if Prime didn’t stop them (or the memory of Prime at some points)