Sundays are for drum-drum-drumming your fingers while waiting for Solium Infernum turns to arrive, considering having a shave as you have to appear in public in a bit and compiling a list of all the fine (mainly) games related reading from across the week in a handy list for RPS’ readers’ delight, while desperately resisting the urge to include a link to some bit of pop music or another. Go!
- Game Set Watch do a list of this year’s top 5 gaming controversies. Thankfully, none of RPS’ fuck-ups were noted enough to cause TEH SCANDALZ.
- RPS’ adventure-half of Alec and Walker aren’t actually enormous fans of the Monkey Island revival – it seems we’ve mostly mentioned it to compare unfavourably to ZombieCow’s games. Let’s balance it a bit now. The ever-entertaining Richard Cobbett is a big fan. He writes about ‘em at length over at his blog. Go reads!
- Famous rent-a-scowl-and-a-scatological-flourish Charlie Brooker gets a little chirpy. He writes about the love of games: “If you don’t play games, you’re not just missing out, you’re wilfully ignoring the most rapidly evolving creative medium in human history.” TRUTH! Read more, including his list of recommendations for playing RIGHT NOW. CAPITAL LETTERS. I have been possessed by the ghost of STEVEN FUCKING WELLS and NO MAN CAN DEFEAT ME.
- Author Douglas Rushkoff is interviewed about his involvement with Exoriare, which is… oh, complicated. He’s basically doing the graphic novel for it, but it’s a big multi-media-crossing-over project, and actually looks quite exciting.
- UK Government giving 10 million in UK investment. Too late, frankly. I fear that ship has well and truly sailed. Meanwhile, Rob Fahey talks about the Digital Economy Bill.
- Another Indie Marketing guide.
- Brice Morrison’s been busy at the gaming prodigy. For example, Why Casual Doesn’t Mean Easy includes some splendid infographics. Hurrah! Also, 3 things of key importance for indie development. And – best if only for its title – Game Design So Good Even My Dad Would Use It.
- Jim was yelping at this length article about the Soviet Star Wars project. I don’t blame him. LASER! LASER!
- Delightful Girlfriend is doing one of those ever-popular 100 Days Blog projects. She’s learning a new word every day, and writing about it.Especially worth reading is the entry on mumpsimus, as you’ll be able to use it all the time in the comment threads at one another.
- Warren Ellis had me over at his forum this week, answering and all questions about everything I do. It’s a hefty thread, where I spill brains about all manner of nonsense, some of which is related to RPS. Still time to ask a question if you’ve got one gnawing at you.
- Before having to jump out of bed to write about Blood Bowl, I blasted through the last four episodes of the third series of The Thick Of It on Iplayer. Insanely brilliant stuff. Watch, while it’s still available. Go! Go!
- Early afternoon yesterday. Sitting in a Camden cafe. Watching the video for Florence + The Machine’s cover of You Got The Love over the shoulder of Alec’s old uni-friend. Find myself thinking, not without quiet admiration, that for a lanky ginger with a big nose, she’s really going for it. Which is the sort of seasonal message I can get behind.