TF2: The Crafting Update?

By Jim Rossignol on December 14th, 2009 at 10:41 am.

A new crafting page on the Team Fortress 2 website explains a few things about the forthcoming update – and ongoing war – that we hadn’t been expecting. Essentially, you’ll be able to turn unwanted unlocks into ones you actually want. This process will apparently rely on “blueprints”, which sounds a bit like Eve Online to me. “Blueprints,” says the TF2 site, “some of which you’ll get right off the bat, others of which you’ll have to puzzle out on your own, will tell you which ingredients you’ll need to combine to make different items… Think of blueprints as recipes, but instead of making Chicken Cordon Bleu, they makes guns! And hats! And Sandviches.” Interesting. Expect more info in the week.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. GGX_Justice says:

Well, crafting has made me enjoy getting items again, so I suppose it’s a success. Even though I didn’t think I’d like it…

2. pkt-zer0 says:

This is a much needed change – aside from the fact that it’s still just trying to fix weapon unlocks, which are an unnecessary annoyance in the first place.

• PHeMoX says:

Yeah, they’ve screwed up and to be honest, this doesn’t quite sound like much of a straightforward fix.

I do like the ‘blueprint’ concept though. But before we know it, recipes will be all over the internets for sure, …like cheat codes. :p

• Vandelay says:

There is loads of info on that page. I think it is pretty likely that we are getting a sword and pickaxe as melee replacements, as well as a bugle (my guess is that it will boost those around the soldier/demoman, but the description indicates it will benefit the soldier/demoman in someway. I guess a monkey must be involved in someway too.

The side panel may be a clue to the new rocket launcher, but I’m not sure what “Take the life of Fred Astire – With this rocket launcher transfer his fame to you!!!” could mean. Steal health maybe?

Larate is possibly an upgrade that boosts attributes, but that one may just be a joke.

I’ve got all the weapons, so a crafting system doesn’t benefit me that much, but a good idea for those that are missing a few of them. Still yet to get a single hat (bar the Halloween ones and cheater’s lament), so I could do with getting some of those. I do hope that it isn’t too easy to make these items though, particularly the hats. If everyone ends up running around with hats it will lose the whole uniqueness of the hats. I have so many spare items that I am sure I will be able to make a few hats right off the bat.

• sfury says:

@Vandelay

I just say: “Beware of VLADIMIR FUCKIN’ BANANAS!”

Russian space monkeys are fearsome adversaries. And what if they have LASERS?! (check out the Sunday Papers people, it’s totally plausible…)

• cyrenic says:

@sfury

That is one epic URL.

• Sporknight says:

Vandelay:
      Larate made me think of the alternate weapon discussed for the heavy: A replacement for fists that when out increase your movement speed but sap your health. I think they do reduced damage too…

3. Martin Coxall says:

Team Fortress 2 is turning sneakily into an MMORPG.

4. DMJ says:

Five years from now Team Fortress 2 will be an RTS.

• Glove says:

DMJ: Chucking a Halo, then, eh?

RTS during early development -> FPS -> RTS

On that note, does anyone know of any multiplayer FPSs with grander strategic workings other than Natural Selection?

• Tei says:

Tremulous (standalone, free), Imperium ( hl2 mod ), both are ultragood.
      Theres also that one that plays like Turret Defense in first person mode.. I forget the name. ?????? (standalone, commercial, has demo).

• Glove says:

Thanks, Tei!

I dimly recalling investigating Tremulous aeons ago, but I’d forgotten everything about it. I’ve always felt a strong personal urge to play an FPS-RTS; it just always seemed like a kind of dream-genre to me. I suppose you could attribute the scarcity of instances to the difficulty of making a game easy enough to get into to create a base of players, but complex and competitive enough to facilitate what I always imagine as the single most awesome type of high-level multiplayer combat possible.

• DK says:

Planetside is pretty much the grandest FPS you can get, Glove.

• Psychopomp says:

@DMJ

I’m okay with this!

• Glove says:

• DK says:

“DK: As soon as I had heard about it (some time last year, I think; probably linked there by a story on vapourware Huxley) I rushed to the site, only to find the game had been discontinued or something along those lines. I weeped and weeped.”

Nope, it’s still going strong:

In fact, it’s Free to Play now I think. (with extra goodies if you pay monthly)

• godwin says:

@Tei: Surely you meant Empires and not Imperium? And the game you’re thinking of is Iron Grip, it’s pretty crap compared to the ideas presented in its HL2 mod predecessor though.

5. Lars BR says:

Oh great, I’ve deleted all my duplicates as I got them.

6. Sovietmudkipz says:

TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2 TEAM FORTRESS 2

…isn’t better than a good ol’ RTS.

7. RJ-45 says:

world of fortress 2

8. James Glover says:

I can just picture the anger of folk who have already been complaining about TF2 getting too ‘MMOey’

• Dominic White says:

@James – Those people who Valve have been openly making fun of since the start? Remember when they arbitrarily slapped ‘level’ numbers onto all the special weapons? That was good. And one update has some hidden ‘code’ detailing a quest system whereby Player must kill X Bears/Wolves/Bats/Rats.

Good stuff.

9. kvertiber says:

Is that Mr Hale in the middle? If yes, why is he wearing clothes?

10. Lord_Mordja says:

In 7 it’ll be a flight sim.

• Miles of the Machination says:

As long as it doesn’t become a driving game, we can rest in comfort that TF2 will have a bright future. I think this crafting is a great idea, but it feels like it’s loudly trying to disguise the fact that the trading feature never saw the light. Also, has anybody got any idea how we’re supposed to obtain the blueprints?

11. TeeJay says:

This crafting concept would be far more exciting if there were actually lots of things that I didn’t have (the switch to random drops quickly racked up everything at was missing).

I suppose new stuff might appear soon enough tho’…

12. gulag says:

This is a welcome piece of news. I’m sitting on a big pile of weapons I don’t want, and now I can craft a bunch of hats that I do want. Everything is better with hats.

Between this and the spanking Soldier is handing Demoman, I’m enjoying the hell out of TF2. Poor monkey. Why do the good die young? And in space.

13. Spacewalk says:

Not sure about Larate but my chi is in order for Ludo. And mixed monkey arts.

14. MrTambourineMan says:

Fuckin’ a.

15. Legionary says:

Don’t have much of an opinion on this unless you can earn the blueprints for hats. I have all the weapons already, but despite months of playing I only own the halo and gibus.

16. Brulleks says:

Erm, I was assuming that, because all the weapons are freely available now, the crafting system would be a way of stripping them down and creating new weapons from the pieces – maybe combining elements of different weapons.

However, if its just a way of making the existing weapons, then its pretty pointless but at least won’t unbalance the gameplay further.

Here’s also hoping that Larate – and its accompanying Super-Soldier costume – actually does see the light of day. In fact, maybe that’s the bonus weapon we’re slugging it out for? Sounds like it could be easily rolled out to either class.

17. Sam Bigos says:

I knew there was a reason I kept all my duplicates :).

Hopefully I can turn them into lots of hats.

18. Tei says:

I think valve needs to make a level in a Hat factory, with enormeous machines that can crush people.

• Glove says:

Tei:

They’d probably do a better job of crushing players’ spirits instead; it’d be like visiting an ice creamery where, for health-standard reasons, only pitifully flirtacious “samples” were doled to expectant children.

19. fullbleed says:

sucks because I just deleted all of my spare weapons :(

20. tba says:

I’m guessing that there is a random a chance of getting a blueprint, mush like hats, but maybe a bit more random, and that primary weapons can only be got by killing that class?

• greenB says:

Why does everyone think that these blueprints will be item-like? The page says that they’ll give you some and you have to “puzzle out” the rest. Sounds to me like there’ll be some page in your Inventory that lists all the “Blueprints” you know. If you throw random items into the Craft-O-Mat, and something actually comes out when you craft them, the “Blueprint” aka crafting equation aka recipe will be added to your blueprints page.

(Or maybe I’m just having flashbacks to Diablo 2′s Horadric Cube.)

21. Cooper says:

90+ hours of playing and I got my first hat the other day. Shame it was for a class I’ve only clocked 1 hour 30 on over all that time…

As RPG as this seems, it’s all good. If you’re gonna have multiple weapons which are random drops or you have to grind to get, you might as well admit the minor RPG elements of the game. Thank heavens it is only a minor part of the game though.

22. Zerotime says:

I hear that the ultimate crafted item is actually Episode 3.

23. MadTinkerer says:

Is it just me or do the TF supplemental materials seem to keep referencing Gurren Lagaan? A Pickaxe which the monkey “would have used to PIERCE the VAULT OF HEAVEN itself!” ? Would have been more obvious if it was a drill, but congrats to Valve on having good taste in Anime if it’s true.

24. Heliosicle says:

THEY COULD’VE TOLD US EARLIER, I DELETED ALL MY STUFF WHEN IT FILLED UP.

bastards.

but i love them :(

25. pierec says:

Is that a Saxton Hale model in the middle?

26. D says:

Don’t anyone forget to read up on:

The comic with The Administrator has many pages of brilliant Saxton Hale comedy. If you haven’t already clicked through everything. With your bare hands.

*Button Click*

27. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Sounds a little too meta-gamey for something like TF2. Then again, I don’t have TF2. ;)

28. Railick says:

I’m not sure but the first game I can remember with a crafting system was Ultima 7, though they may have done it before that I’m not sure. There are so many good old games out there it’s hard to recall them all ;)

29. capntao says:

Dumbasses, Hale’s obviously going to be the VIP.

30. Günter says:

Reinforcing my position that TF2 has essentially become an MMOFPS. :P

31. Jaytiz says:

IMO less bullshit: hats crafting weapon levels

more dev focus on gameplay, ie levels game modes and competitive balancing.

32. Fuzzdad says:

Update and free weekend is out.

Team Fortress 2

New Content
    Added new control point map Gorge
    Added new capture the flag map Double Cross
    Added item crafting
    Added work-in-progress TF Bots for beta testing in KOTH maps (blog post coming with more info)
    Added headshot death animations
    Added more backstab animations

Soldier
    Added 35 new Soldier achievements
    Added 4 new Soldier items
    Added new Soldier Domination lines

Demoman
    Added 35 new Demoman achievements
    Added 3 new Demoman items
    Added new Demoman Domination lines

Spy
    Now pretends to be carrying the weapons & wearables of the target he’s disguised as
    Moved the Spy’s camera-beard to the Misc loadout slot so he can equip it with a hat

Scout
    The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit (when you hear the cheering)
    All shorter hits now force the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state (also removed the damage reduction on them)

Minor changes
    Added new options to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog:
    Combat text, which displays damage amounts you do to enemies.
    Medic auto caller, which automatically shows you nearby friends at low health.
    Heal target marker, which better highlights the target your medigun is locked onto.
    Alternative Spy disguise menu, which lets you choose disguises using just the 1-3 keys.
    Fixed being able to affect friendly pipes with airblast (they would unstick)
    Added recharge sound to abilities with a recharge bar
    Fixed attachable wearables not staying on ragdolls
    Players no longer see the wearables that are a part of a friendly spy’s disguise, fixing various graphical glitches
    Added jiggle bones for Pyro’s chicken hat
    Added 2 new game startup songs

Community Mapmaker requests
    Implemented InputSetSetupTime() for team_round_timer (was in the .fgd but never implemented)
    Added “SetDispenserLevel” input to cart dispenser (1, 2, or 3)

33. Hex says:

We all know how frustrating it is to see everyone running around with that weapon that kills you EVERY TIME! You just know that if you had that weapon you’d be invincible, unstoppable, dare say it… the BEST! Valve knows just what you’re thinking, and is prepared to help you burst that bubble. If you manage to get 9 items but not the one you want, you can possibly turn them into that coveted item (it’s starting to look like this is the way I’m going to have to get the eyelander)!

Find your crafting recipes here: http://www.hexkrak.com/?postID=28