They’re Baaack: TeamL4D Meets TeamL4D2

By Alec Meer on December 14th, 2009 at 7:40 pm.

Crivens – and here were we all thinking the first L4D2 DLC would involve fictional hoary old rockers the Midnight Riders. In fact, Valve are doing something gosh-wow-what? different.

First DLC The Passing arrives in Spring. It features four very familiar faces. Clue: it’s not Zippy, George, Bungle and Geoffrey.

There will be much rejoicing. Except by people who don’t do that sort of thing.

Throwing this up quickly because BREAKING NEWS, but official details are copypastaed a little further below if you want to hop straight to them.

Obviously, though, it’s going to raise further (and perhaps biggest-ever) hackles amongst the boycotters and folk who own only L4D1. If it turns out to be paid DLC (all we have in that regard is “Pricing will be announced closer to launch”) that’ll only get worse. Which does make it a bit of a mysterious move, as it could generate a rhino-weight of bad press in an instant.

An idea occurs to me, however. Perhaps there’ll be associated DLC for L4D1 too, with the new chaps sticking their heads into a coda for L4D1 – the title ‘The Passing’ somewhat hints at this, in a way. The Southerners go North and the Northerners go South. That’d be lovely, and would defuse the brewing storm. There’s an equal chance Valve are just flexing sadistic muscle, of course – but they are prone to smoke and mirrors, so let’s wait it out a bit. It’s not hard to imagine them sitting back and laughing as the internet turns bright red and blows steam out of its ears, knowing they’re about to make it look rather silly.

But for now, let’s try to thrill to the concept and worry about the details once we know more of them. Will the new (i.e. old) survivors be playable in L4D2 in any form? Is it something to do with this new mode? What does it mean for the story – is someone going to die? Romance? Feuds? Could some of the old guys be zombified? Is it a setup for Zombies 8 Brains (insert own terrible pun here)? Why do birds suddenly appear?

These are all the answers we’re getting for now:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first game add-on for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2), is in development and targeted for release in early 2010.

Dubbed “The Passing,” the first game add-on for L4D2 brings the original Left 4 Dead (L4D1) Survivors down south for a meeting with the L4D2 cast, while delivering new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay for the PC and Xbox 360.

Targeted for release in early spring, “The Passing” takes place just after the Dead Center campaign of L4D2. Set in a small town in rural Georgia, players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters.

In addition to the new co-operative campaign and associated narrative, “The Passing” will include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play. The Passing will also include a new “uncommon common” zombie class, melee weapon, and firearm.

“The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign,” said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve. “It will also be a huge offering of new gameplay content, with something new for every game mode plus a new uncommon common and weaponry.”

, , , .

1. TeeJay says:

Thumbs up for the moderating! Thanks. :)

2. KYLe says:

sounds INSANE

3. Wirbelwind says:

Awesome news.

4. UndeadNinja says:

This sounds sweet! I hope we can play as all 8 charaters. With 8 charaters we might be able to have 8 player campains. That would be AWESOME.

5. Fumarole says:

Eight versus eight sounds positively nuts. Yes please Valve.

6. TheSombreroKid says:

i’m pretty sure anyone who bought left4dead & not left4dead2 doesn’t give a shit at this stage.

I know i don’t, i’ve not played l4d since l4d2 was announced and this isn’t going to change my mind.

If they were charging similar amounts for the laugh riot that is tf2 i’d prolly pay it but l4d isn’t a good enough game to carry the burnden of so much cash.

• Rinox says:

Why did you stop playing L4D1 if you are boycotting L4D2? Isn’t that shooting yourself in the foot a little? It’s still a fun game, with loads of custom campaigns out there.

phuzz says:

@TheSombreroKid
      I’ve not bought L4D2 yet, but that’s just because it’s still over £20, however, I’m sure there’ll be some kind of offer when this DLC comes out, and that will be enough for me to buy it…

7. GRIMDARK says:

So… I’m guessing that the L4D survivors in their armored icecream truck meet up with the L4D2 survivors in their stock car.

Vehicle level?

8. Richeh says:

Yeah, after Dead Center they’re in the car, aren’t they? And doesn’t the car run out of fuel in… what, Dark Carnival? If this goes inbetween, my bet is they don’t get out of the car; maybe a scenario where the southerners have to clear the way for the original cast.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It doesn’t run out of fuel at the start of Dark Carnival, the road is blocked by tons of abandoned vehicles. I think someone says unless Ellis can turn the stock car into a monster truck they’re not going any further so they abandon the car & proceed on foot.

Whatever they release it sounds like it’ll be fun.

• armlesscorps1987 says:

@malibu stacy

There is also a comment by ellis on top of the one you just mentioned ( i think by coach?) where he
      mentions at the start of DC that the car cant get very far on a full tank of fuel, indicating that they have ran out of fuel or are low on fuel. I guess its just a mistake by Valve of putting the two clips in, because they indicate two different reasons for the car stopping.

9. Keko says:

Not all. I´m not buying shit from Valve anymore after this bullshit.

10. l1ddl3monkey says:

How to flog your horse to death and beyond: A business model by Valve Software.

11. Quin_Goodman says:

L4D is a good game as long as you play with three friends who you know very well using VoIP. Hours of fun await any who do this. Playing alone in random versus matches will make the game become stale quite quickly. So instead of slagging L4D off (1&2) just convince some friends to buy it. Get on Skype. And Enjoy…please.

12. Frosty says:

RPS is definitely the place to be for me.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yes that’s just what this place needs. More people loudly proclaiming to the world how little they care about the games in the articles on this here website just to emphasize their total lack of care for the games in question.

• Frosty says:

@Malibu

To be fair, it’s slightly different. The reason the comments are generated is due to the developer behind it, not an urge to hurt the game. It’s a group of people saying they want Valve to concentrate/release more detail on the games we really want, not one which has been rather dividing in Valve’s community.

It’s not a case of stupidity going on something about MW2 and saying “I hate MW2!” It’s a case of people looking at Valve related stuff and saying, “But we want to know about your other projects.”

Vandelay says:

@Frosty

RPS probably isn’t the place for you if are with the people who say “I don’t care” and “shut up and talking about something else”, as the authors only post about things they want to post about. Clearly, those that are saying they don’t care about this are of differing opinions to the people that make this website.

It is great to hear that Valve are obviously wanting to support L4D2. This update already sounds as if they are going to include more than pretty much any other multiplayer game around (excluding TF2, of course.)

Some news on Episode 3 would be nice though.

• invisiblejesus says:

“How telling it is that a great portion of the comments on this thread are either saying “I don’t care” or “Shut up and release Episode 3.””

While I’m not unsympathetic to people who want knews on ep. 3, it should be pointed out that L4D2 threads have been a very hostile place for people whose opinions don’t fall into the “LOL boycotters u suk” or “*insert complaint about Valve here*” categories. I don’t typically bother to post about the game, and I doubt I’m the only one. Though to be fair, this thread has managed not to degenerate totally into a blazing train wreck of The Stupid, which is kind of nice.

• Frosty says:

@Vandelay

The comments were not directed at the RPS writers. Gods no. They were at Valve.

But I won’t talk anymore. I failed to explain what I meant properly and thus I sounded like a idiot. I won’t make myself a bigger idiot by continuing the argument.

13. Crusoe says:

Too much Pessimism.

That’s a lot of content, which will almost-def be free to PC users.

I don’t understand much of the hate scattered around here.

14. Bogie says:

Please let this be 8 player co-op!!!! Would be amazing!!!

15. arrr_matey says:

Some mod servers have 8 vs. 8 games and I know a lot of people enjoy it. I find it becomes too much of a different game. Things are really frantic and you lose all the tension of those spots where you can break a team with a great smoke or charge. There are just too many survivors so the infected can never get good momentum going.

16. Harlequin says:

Also: 8v8 for the win :) Please hook it up, Valve.

17. Joseph says:

Had been following L4D1 since pre-release and playing pretty much every day since, even entered into tournaments for it with for fun with mates. <3 it to pieces.

Turns out L4D2 is hard to enjoy. It feels more fake and old than it should. I think it is because of the re-used and low quality props in the maps.

Say what you want about optimising, but I can't be immersed in L4D2 as 'a new experience' it when I see the same car, bus, and van for the 99th time that was also in L4D1 just now with a different colour. They should think more about people like me who do nothing else but play L4D.

Still, I'll play this. If it's anything like the 8v8 mod for L4D1 as some are speculating, it will be good.

18. Jon Kristinsson says:

I can definately see how 8 vs. 8 in the regular L4D2 gameplay would hurt the balance. That’s why I’m hoping it’s a specifically tailored campaign, where the two teams of four split up occasionally to perform specific tasks, then meet up for certain big events. That would be perfects for versus, where the special infected then have to divide themselves up as well, to tackle two groups in different places.

19. Justin says:

I think they will probably work it to where you are trading off between the two groups to where you meet one at a halfway mark and go from there. But i dunno, i do think the 4 is a great number for this game and i’ve also played on some 8v8 servers with mods and it just is way too chaotic. That’s just my opinion, i’m sure valve will find some way to balance it out though, they always do. Despite all the short-comings of l4d2 i still think it is an awesome game, it just needs a little more tweaking in my opinion.