Bethesda To Publish Rage

By Jim Rossignol on December 15th, 2009 at 3:57 pm.

Here’s what Bethesda say: “RAGE will be published by Bethesda Softworks, (a) ZeniMax subsidiary. As a result, Electronic Arts Inc will not be involved in the sales and marketing of RAGE. The ongoing development of RAGE is unaffected by this development.” Thoughts on this below.

You’ll recall that Id were bought by ZeniMax earlier in the year, a deal which presumably makes the licensing of Bethesda-publised Brink, which uses the last generation of Id tech, a little cheaper. EA, of course, were signed on to market and sell Rage, but it’s perhaps appropriate to their downsizing that they offload this onto someone else. And it’s fair to say that Rage seems to be in an odd limbo. It’s not one of the Id names, as it’s an attempt to do something new. The fanfare for this game, by one of the most famous development houses in world, seems minimal. People seem unsure whether to be excited, perhaps because of the lack of marketing, but I think more crucially because the lack of a clear concept of why the game is different or exciting. Even Id’s traditional armies of PC gaming fans have been mute, presumably because the console presence in its development casts a long shadow, despite protestations that it will “feel like a true PC game.”

Rage desperately needs to distinguish itself from a bunch of other post-apocalyptic games – currently it looks like Borderlands before the makeover – including Bethesda’s own Fallout games. With this in mind, why bother having to make that distinction? Couldn’t Bethesda relaunch Rage as part of their own Fallout universe? It would seem to make sense. Isn’t there scope for an entire generation of new Fallout games? Or is the creation of a new post-apocalyptic IP really, genuinely valuable to either Id or Bethesda?

, , , , .

1. Gwyd says:

I think it’s already been stated that Rage will not be coming with a dedicated server option, after dipping my toe into the MW2 multi player experience that alone is enough for me to reconsider buying this.

• tapanister says:

Man I wouldn’t buy that game just on principle anyway (Tim Willits, John Carmack, the only decent game or recent memory in between these two guys has been Quake III). Ages teen+ (rofl, fucking sellouts), a generic shooter/driver-shooter, no dedicated servers, etc etc.

Come on, is there really a reason to give a fuck? Yeah, the engine may create some good games on the hands of some developers, but it won’t be these guys, and it won’t be this particular game.

2. dspair says:

By design I mean level and enviroinment design, and not the way the monsters popped at the player. Doom 3′s level design is remarkably solid and stylistically monolithic from start to finish. And the Hell levels are just outstanding.

Call me a retrograde who loves old-school stuff (and yes, I am), but Doom 3 made a huge impression on me. It seemed like a game designed especially for me personally. Unlike Quake 4, which was boring and uninspiring.

Quake 3 is another gem. Yes, it’s a very hardcore game, but noone has come even close to par it in terms of raw old-school deathmatch. Unreal? Half-Life? You’re kidding me. Thanks Carmack they haven’t change a thing and made Quake Live that good.

• Jeremy says:

Don’t even worry about trying to explain it, they’ll read one thing they disagree with, or take it out of context and after that it’s a lost cause.

3. dspair says:

Oh crap, I replied to the wrong thread. Sorry for that.

4. PiP says:

Launch it as a Fallout game? Sure, since Bethesda already sodomised Fallout’s corpse why would one care.

5. SoulDoubt says:

@dspair

Also agree that the level design was amazing. I didn’t mind the no duct tape flashlight since I liked using the flashlight to stop and pan around and admire the environment. They should have designed it more as a first person adventure (along the lines of Metroid Prime) focused more on exploration than shooting it out with 3 – 4 monsters in the dark who just popped out of improbable closets on cue.

6. nigelvibations says:

Screenshot looks great. I’ll buy any game where I can play as Flea.

7. Zakan says:

Finaly – someone that doesnt ashame to say – Quake3 is best deathmatch shooter ever! I never installed it after the first time in 99 – it just sits on my HDD, and I play it once in day or two with my brother. Thank you for that sir! I also agree with what you said about Doom3 – the whole atmosphere and design were excellent, too bad the game recieved somewhat mediocre ratings.
    (on a side note – take a look at http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/index.php — Thief remake of Doom3′s engine! )
    As for Rage – Quake4, Quake Wars and Wolfenstein, although made by other studios, but still tied to Id’s IPs, severely damaged my once-complete faith in Id. Like someone here brilliantly noted – they didnt do anything realy great since Quake3. Personaly I think they lost the touch, though I do hope I’m wrong. The long shadow of consoles is a bad sign as well – i will never forgive the slughtering of Thief 3 and DeusEx 2 – sequels to two of my most beloved games, to those kiddie machine designs. Oh, and no lean button in MW2 – same story. NEVER.
    All in all – I will sure wait and take a looong look at Rage, maybe borrow from friend to see if its worth anything. And the game couldnt disappoint me, since I dont expect much of it in the first place.