RUSE By Any Other Name

By Jim Rossignol on December 15th, 2009 at 10:40 am.

The rather interesting real-time strategy title from Eugen Systems, R.U.S.E. – which is currently in beta – has just released some more multiplayer footage. No news for the people already playing it, but it’s definitely worth a glance for the rest of ye. For some notion of what the game is like to play, have a gander at my Eurogamer preview. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve managed to play so far, and I suspect the beta will be very useful for the purposes of balancing this up to a shine.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DMJ says:

It would be so much more appropriate if this turns out to be a FPS after all.

2. robrob says:

Is this the one where you can’t lose?

3. James G says:

It is quite odd to see something that could easily be the British countryside represented in a game, although I’m assuming given the setting, that this is probably northern France?

4. tigershuffle says:

cant play video content at work :(

shall have a look later

is the scenery interractive in anyway………ie line of sight etc?

• JB says:

@tigershuffle – Yes, the scenery is somewhat interactive. If your units are in a town, their line of sight is drastically reduced for example.

5. Schaulustiger says:

Why do they call it “Gameplay Trailer”? There’s no gameplay in it, just fancy in-game cinematics.

Am I the only one annoyed by the lack of real gameplay footage in nearly every AAA-game trailer?

• DK says:

I think you might have seen the wrong video then – all of that trailer as in-game. It’s not good looking enough to be confused with pre-rendered CGI, or is it?

• Schaulustiger says:

I’m not talking about in-game graphics (I know that those are), I’m talking about real gameplay with UI and stuff. I don’t want to know how flashy the engine looks when some director uses it for a generic war cinematic, I want to see how it plays, what the scope is, if it’s more micro or macro management and all that. Nearly every trailer fails at that.

• cliffski says:

The only fair way to provide screenshots is by letting reviewers use PrintScreen. The only fair way to provide video is for reviewers to capture it with Fraps.
      BAH HUMBUG

• Chris says:

Come on Cliffski, they want to show the game off to the best potential. Sure 99% of computers can’t run Crysis at full settings 30″ monitor but if a reviewer cap’d the game on an old system everyone would instantly write off the game and call it ugly.

Remember people have no real idea of subjectivity and games need to be sold.

• DK says:

“No you are not, It drives me flipping mental. Another potentially great game, which they wont let me see how it looks like.
      Anything else is just PR fluff showing you what the designers wished their game looked like, but doesn’t.”

Mate, I’m in the Beta – and that video is what it looks like. There’s no magic to it. In fact, watch the RUSE beta preparation video on YouTube and you’ll get your interface and what-the-game-really-looks-like. (which is just like that vid)

• Weylund says:

@DK:

So… “what it actually looks like” is a 3D-rendered WW2 movie with no interface, great camera angles, and thumping music with no feedback from the units? I think that’s what people are upset about. Frankly “gameplay” videos without any actual gameplay piss me off.

• DK says:

“@DK:

So… “what it actually looks like” is a 3D-rendered WW2 movie with no interface, great camera angles, and thumping music with no feedback from the units?”

If you play it like that, yes. Those camera angles aren’t anything special and are pretty much business as usual if you zoom in.

Did you call all those Supreme Commander videos that showed actual units instead of icons videos with no gameplay?

• Weylund says:

I dunno, did they *call* them gameplay videos? I played zoomed in (as I suspect most people did when possible), but I dimly recall there being… oh… an interface. And are you saying that when you zoom into play RUSE you are magically swung in behind your artillery just as it fires, and then swept over the targeted area to see the effects?

Because that would be cool.

Seriously, it’s not a gameplay video. It’s a cinematic using carefully chosen in-game footage. They’re different things.

• D says:

I completely agree with everyone who’s not DK. However I can understand the developer choice WHEN there is a beta we can view footage from. This one looks fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XsAemiqCw

• Riaktion says:

I would like to second that I agree with everyone who isn’t DK.

That is all.

• TeeJay says:

Showing off graphics = zooming around with a free-look camera, setting explosions to music.

Showing off gameplay = developer voiceover “let me show you this neat bit where I click to attack these enemies … oh whoops that didn’t quite work, but as you can see here’s some emergent gameplay, it is different each time…here’s me doing it differently”

6. Torgen says:

Oh crap! the Krauts got tac nukes!

I really hope this is good.

7. TC says:

This could be very good I hope they can get it right.

8. Junior says:

Why hello there WWII Supreme Commander mod, I’ve been waiting for you…

9. SirKicksalot says:

This is nothing like Supreme Commander.
    The interface is so minimal and simple that such a trailer perfectly shows you what the game is like.

Someone asked about line of sight – yes, of course. It plays a huge role, actually.

10. Dominic White says:

Aside from some minor interface quibbles, I’ve heard almost nothing but good things about this from the beta testers. It’s an RTS that’s actually about strategy, rather than speed, and a sneaky plan can very often beat a numerically superior force.

Hoping it turns out as well as it looks.

• Davee says:

Been waiting for a game like that, myself. And RUSE does look like good candidate.

11. fluffypuffy says:

this is horrible. starting from the winter camo used on panzers in summer to mass “maus” tanks. Horrrible arcade RTS with a horrible premise…

• DK says:

Did they promise historically accurate simluation of WW2? I don’t remember them doing so. This is grand scale strategy in a WW2 setting. Not a replay of WW2.

• TeeJay says:

I’m going to add “grand scale strategy” and “arcade strategy” to the genre names I have been collecting over the last week :

Real Time Strategy (‘traditional’ and ‘modern’)
      Turn-based strategy
      Hybrid RTS/TBS
      Action RTS
      Real Time Tactics
      4x Strategy
      Grand Strategy
      Wargame / war sim

Any more suggestions?

12. Ace says:

Wow, their website is really nice. Well though out website could mean well thought out game. Maybe.

13. David says:

I’m in on the Beta. So far I’ve had a fun time playing, but they still have a way to go before it’s fluid and polished enough for general consumption.
    So far the Ruses are interesting but in MP they aren’t as big of a factor as you would think/hope.

14. Grandstone says:

Can’t stop laughing about the game’s protagonist’s being a first-year Harvard dropout.

15. IvanHoeHo says:

Although I agree that this isn’t really a game play trailer – which are supposed to showcase the playing experience, the only thing that really bothered me is those hand-cranked (well, might as well be) AA guns shooting down bloody jet-powered interceptors… wait, so I guess using interceptors as light bombers is kind of illogical, as well.

• Torgen says:

Didn’t stop Adolf in the real war doing exactly that to the Me-262.

Also, as far as manually-aimed AA vs jet aircraft: If you know where they’re heading, you throw up a wall of lead in anticipation of the them flying into it. That’s how mass AA barrages work. :) Of course, we’re talking about a video game, so such things as speed of the jets, how far out they were detected, the fact that the final bombing run is going to be a straight line, etc doesn’t really enter in to it.

16. Tull. says:

On the topic of graphics, I noticed that the video never shows any infantry, although I know they are in the game. So to the beta testers or whatever – what is the infantry like? What is their function in the game? And how are they graphically – like, are they well animated? Do they seek cover and stuff?

• Riaktion says:

without watching the video back… i am sure I saw some troops running around near the start… maybe

17. slybri says:

I miss the videos with the two douche bag guys playing it on a Surface table, acting all serious like they bet a night in bed with their girlfriends on it. It reminded me of the old Milton-Bradley board game commercials from the 80s.

Like the average gamer watching the commercial will be playing on a ten thousand dollar touch screen that’s not even commercially available yet. Talk about a ruse!

18. Riaktion says:

looks good, and the preview linked makes it sound pretty interesting. I don’t really play RTS games online as I generally suck at them, so more interested in what single player has to offer… will wait and see…

And did V2 rockets *actually* do that? I am guessing not… (?)

19. h4plo says:

I thought this was a game about big, colorful arrows that killed things. I am disappointed to learn that is a computer version of a History Channel show.

20. Vinraith says:

This looks neat, but I’m concerned that the single player and co-op are doomed since it’s unlikely an AI will be able to handle a game whose central mechanics are built around deception. I’d love to be wrong, though.

21. Durns says:

There were also far too many rivets on that one Anti-Aircraft gun…