Virtual City: Released and Demo’d

By Jim Rossignol on December 15th, 2009 at 9:11 pm.

The straightforwardly-but-unimaginatively-named Virtual City has a demo. It’s here. You can play it for just sixty minutes. How much city can you squeeze out of sixty minutes? I just don’t know, but the fifty seconds of trailer below suggest it might be quite a lot. And hey, it looks super cute. (Via Blue’s, thanks Blue!)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Sam Bigos says:

I hate time limited demos. Makes me feel like i need to rush everything to get the most out of it. I’d much rather have it limited in some other way so I get to experiment as much as I like.

2. cliffski says:

this looks like a casual games sim city clone. Interesting…

3. Clovis says:

Why is there a tab for “dumpsters”, but almost everything else is jammed in the “build” tab? I’ve never played a city-builder with a complicated dumpster system; sounds like fun!

4. GT3000 says:

I was reading the other games at the developer’s website and it really has some generic names. Success Story? Jesus, that’s unimaginative as Hell. Fun game though.

5. Vinraith says:

That actually looks like it could be a lot of fun, I’ll give it a try.

6. Rob says:

I can’t wait to get the Lil’ Miss Firecracker award.

7. Bigfoot_King says:

still trying to find something to fill that sim city gap since I stop playing sim city 4. Maybe this could fill it though

8. TheLordHimself says:

I may be a fool, but I like the look of that!

9. rei says:

The trailer almost makes it look like a web game. I don’t know what to think of “50 levels and 5 free play maps” but I don’t get the feeling that it shares much with SimCity other than the basic concept.

10. Boldoran says:

this looks alot like Transport Tycoon from the trailer.

11. hydra9 says:

Yes! Transport Tycoon! I love the colourful buildings and cute little vehicles moving about. Not so sure about the casual-gaming wrapper, though.

12. Levictus says:

Any simcity 4 fans tried it out yet? I am huge simcity fan, but most other city builders (other than Caeser III, Pharaoh and Zeus) didn’t really catch my attention. The Anno series were pretty good though. Any thoughts?

13. Talorc says:

Looks like they are targeting the female market as well, with a female protagonist.

14. frags says:

Hmmm and why does the music in all these city builders sound familiar. Thats so SIm City like.

15. Super Bladesman says:

That reminds me – must reinstall Sim City.

16. Stense says:

I’d argue that a 60 minute timed demo is really very generous. How long do demos last for other games these days (if they even release a demo at all)? Not long at all.

17. ourdreamsoffreedom says:

It’s like Sim City, except dumb.

18. Derf says:

Where are the cities?

19. SoftNum says:

So, in a semi-serious question, how would you like to see Demos done? Especially in strategy type games. RPGs and Platformers are easy, just give then X levels. In a strategy style game, it’s a lot harder. If you only give certain strategic options, you’re cutting out possible selling points that might hook the player, and misrepresenting your game.

A time limit is easy to program for, and still shows off a good amount of the game.

• mujadaddy says:

Ideally, you’d have a custom tutorial level as you demo that allows you a quick functional overview of nearly the entire feature set. Having it as a custom level allows you to “break the rules” of your narrative, or more likely hide a few spoilers while still giving a fast-paced overview of what the game is like. In contrast, how would a time-limited demo of, say, Civ IV give you the same feel for anything but the early game?

In short, a little effort on the part of the developer.

• SoftNum says:

Though, I know with AI War and a few other titles, the full tutorial _and_ an hour of gamplay is part of the Demo.

20. JJK says:

I don’t care if it looks like simcity for girls I want to play the shit out of that.