Just Cause 2: Island In Chaos

By John Walker on December 18th, 2009 at 10:00 pm.

It is not Jesus, but it has the same initials.

Don’t get too frightened by the latest Just Cause 2 trailer. It tries to upset and confuse us by talking about the plot for the first half. Evil despotic ruler, agent gone rogue, take over the world, blah blah blah. But then halfway through everything’s okay again. Shit. Blows. Up. So don’t worry.

, .

1. fulis says:

Ugh, that kinda turned me off the game

2. jsutcliffe says:

Well shit, nobody mentioned you could fly a Harrier in it, nor that there was a shoulder-mounted chameleon. Count me in!

3. Nihilille says:

What’s the difference between this franchise and Mercenaries? This feels like it could be a World in Flames clone, with a grappling hook as the one difference.

• Elyscape says:

@Nihilille
      It happens on an island.

• Heliosicle says:

World in Flames was a big dissapointment for me, as was the original just cause, they seem to be showing alot of the actual game with this, and there have been quite a few hands on things etc, wheras world in flames was pretty quiet until about a month or two before.

• Hunam says:

World in Flames wasn’t a patch on the original, but the second half was a vast improvement over the first. Only played the demo of the first Just Cause, wasn’t so good, this one looks great though. It has that everything should explode mentality, a good mentality to have.

4. JKjoker says:

… the cliched latin american dictator feels like he could TAKE OVER THE WORLD! (for some reason i always remember Purple Tentacle when i hear those words)… and you get to stop him by blowing him sky high while surfing over jet planes, at least i could say im interested

i would like a few weird, sadistic Bond villains tho

• Stupoider says:

Hehe, it’s quite worrying when a Purple Tentacle’s plans to take over the world are more convincing that those of a dictator.

• Masked Dave says:

Um… I’m pretty sure that was supposed to be a cliched Chinese / South East Asian accent. Not sure how you got Latin American…

Also the dude is clearly meant to be a Bond villain.

5. Dozer says:

Homeless people with a wrecking ball, driving a nail down the soldier’s bodies.

This is looking awesomer by the minute! Will I be able to play it on my 800MHz PentiumIII?

6. Dave Gates says:

The voice acting in this is really quite poor. I have to agree this really isn’t turning my crank at all. I like Just Cause but I don’t really see what else this is bringing to the table to be honest.

7. Dave Gates says:

Jesus I wrote “really” far too many times in that last post… really, I did.

• Starky says:

Haha I was about to write “I can’t believe none of you got that the dictator was clearly Kim Jong Il from Team America”, good thing I refreshed first.

I’rm swo lownlwy…

• Jazmeister says:

True story: After years of invoking Kim Jong Il, I now have a tendancy to accidentally effect the “ronery” thing in polite conversation and serious discussion. It gets hairy in Chinese restaurants.

• robrob says:

And Fidel Castro as the resistance chap. This is looking like a fantastic cast.

8. Starky says:

Clearly going to be a very silly mock spy plot, or at least I hope to god it is – the more they make this James bond meets Team America the better. Hammy, stupid and utterly unbelievable is the name of the day.

If there isn’t a mission where you get captured, have to listen to a villains monologue (must be unskippable imo – villainous monologues are the ONLY cut scenes in video games that are allowed to be unskippable), then you get left helpless while some fiendish timed death begins counting down as the villain leaves the scene laughing I will be very disappointed.

Dave above said “this isn’t turning my crank” which I found amusing because that is exactly what I am hoping for with this game, a Spy/Special agent version of the movie Crank.

• Urthman says:

Assassin’s Creed being the exception that proves the rule. Villainous monologues should be unskippable unless the villain is already defeated and dying. And the ideal unskippable monologue only comes when the main character is tied up under a giant laser-guided bandsaw or something.

• Starky says:

Very good point with AssyCreed.

Okay revision too…

The ONLY cutscenes that are allowed to be unskippable, are villainous monologues given when the hero/player SEEMS to be (but is not*) defeated, followed by an epic comeback**/trap escape.***
      *Clause inserted due to Arkham Asylums you’re dead sequences.
      ** Like every Kung Fu, or martial arts movie ever, you’re beaten and down the villain stops for a rant instead of just finishing you, afterwards you then get up and kick his arse.
      *** Aka pulling a Bond

• Vinraith says:

@Starky

Addendum: And the save point has to be AFTER the monologue.

• Thants says:

If you’re unlucky he may want to read you some of his poetry first.

• Starky says:

Actually Vin, I’ll upgrade that addendum to requiring that even the monologue be skippable once you’ve viewed it once – so you can skip it on new playthroughs.

Thants, that is somehow cruel and yet deeply appropriate for a villain to force upon a helpless enemy (something I’ve seen in a movie or something and which I’m sure you reference but for the life of me cannot recall).

• Weylund says:

@Starky: If you haven’t, go read Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The first two books (Hitchhiker’s and Restaurant at the End of the Universe) are the finest pieces of literature humanity has produced.

Don’t watch the movie. Not unless you want to *recreate* the referenced Vogon poetry scene.

9. WilPal says:

This looks awesome.

10. roBurky says:

Yeh, that trailer has just about undone all the interest gained from the ones about tying two planes together.

• Dominic White says:

45 seconds of corny action-movie plot managed that? Developers are riding a unicycle on a tightrope over thin ice these days.

11. Aftershock says:

Super-cheesy corny plot? So long as they’re not taking themselves seriously, this is going to be a blast. And the iguana would seem to indicate that they’re going for hilarity. Which is good.

Also, squad mechanics? Oh right, distractions and cannon fodder.

12. Premium User Badge Saul says:

I was looking forward to the explosions, but silly dictators and resistance guerrillas are the icing on the cake!

13. Jakkar says:

Odd how the developer walkthroughs showed a beautiful game with fantastic physics and infinite possibilities, and the high-quality presentation plot video makes it look about four years out of date.

14. Ian says:

I particularly liked the part where shit blew up.

• Little Green Man says:

I agree, the part where shit blew up was particularly good.

15. westyfield says:

The box shown at the end has a ‘Games for Windows’ logo on.

Also, “The old president was assassinated by the new president.” Aren’t there laws against that sort of dastardly behaviour?

• Dominic White says:

@westyfield

You might not have noticed, but a LOT of games have the Games For Windows tag on. All it means is that it aheres to certain standards, like supporting widescreen, natively detecting the 360 controller, etc. Nothing bad about it at all.

• Starky says:

Indeed, Games for windows = very good, a nice set of standard features all modern games should support.
      It’s Games for windows LIVE that is the crappy program best avoided.

16. ChaK_ says:

I want to game. period.

the stupider and sillier it will be, the happier I will be :)

17. Talorc says:

The PC port of this better be good!!

18. Rei Onryou says:

The last 10 seconds made up for the rest of the video.