Chalking It Up To Experience: Chalk

By Kieron Gillen on December 21st, 2009 at 12:22 pm.

I'll draw on his belly-welly. It defeats Walker. It will defeat him.

As previously mentioned, I’m going through my IGF judging now. Chalk Luxe was among its numbers, which made me go back and have a nose at the original 2007 Chalk game, which had passed me by. The relationship is a little like that between the original Noitu Love and the IGF-shortlisted Noitu Love 2 - as in, the former is a micro-model of the latter. The idea is basically a scrolling shooter merged with an Okami-esque painting mechanism as a weapon, and it’s just really a lovely design. If you haven’t played it before, I strongly suggest you go and do it now.

Go! Obey me! OBEY ME!

, , , .

1. LewieP says:

Agreed, this is lovely.

Also, Captcha’s make me a sad Lewie

• LewieP says:

Oh, I signed into the forums, and it went away. Happy Lewie again!

Edit: I can edit too? That’s wonderful.

2. Hmm-Hmm. says:

No! I will certainly not!

*downloads*

Lambchops says:

Well pointed out – this one passed me by at the time as well.

Damnit, got to the last boss but had used all my continues through a mixture of gaming ineptitude and figuring out how to best the bosses. Will give it another run through later and complete it (with a lot more style as well now that I know what I’m doing!).

This definitely has me looking forward to Luxe Chalk; if the improvements made are as good as those from Noitu Love to Noitu Love 2 then it should be great.

I do love figuring out bosses and the cool little mechanics to use in Knojak’s games – even if they do always inevitably leave me with hand cramp with clicking and dragging the mouse eveywhere.

4. Jakkar says:

I second his demand, with fond memories from 2007 – This is the one sidescroller I have ever -liked- playing, or persisted with to the end.

Perhaps the finest achievement is simply that it manages to take a traditionally frenetic, fast, frustrating genre and balance it very neatly upon the peak of excitement, without ever tumbling down into the valleys of irritation.

5. Harmen says:

Nice. Unplayable on an IBM^WLenovo thinkpad with clitmouse, thogh.