Mod For The Mod God: Call of Warhammer

By Kieron Gillen on December 21st, 2009 at 9:38 am.

I must be getting some kind of geek sense. I woke up on Saturday morning and found myself thinking “I wonder if anyone’s done a Warhammer mod for Medieval 2 yet”. I start googling and discover that there’s one which is just about to come out. Call of Warhammer is promising its first release out for Chrimble (or there about) and actually looks pretty nifty. Playable factions in the first release are High Elves, Dwarves, The Empire, Chaos, Greenskins, The Vampire Counts and – somewhat surprisingly – Kislev. Well, somewhat surprisingly until you realise the mod’s primary language is Russia – the initial release won’t be fully translated, it seems – and as such you can sort of understand why they may want to Kislev it up. Also, bear cavalry. Footage follows…

Well, the best video to watch is actually the one on ModDB which I can’t find anywhere else and isn’t embeddable from there. However, here’s one of them. Chaos and Greenskins, going at it, as un-nature intended.

In respect of all the obvious hard work, I’ll refrain from whining about Wot No Skaven.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Heliocentric says:

Hah…. vampire cunts more like….. sorry

This mod looks great though.

Skaven can wait, i feel a waaaaargh coming on.

Pro Modding Note: Empire Will never have mods like this EVER, not while everything is encrypted

2. [21CW] 2000AD says:

NIfty, though I’m wondering how they incorporate magic into it, especially with the inclusion of Vampire Counts. As a VC player it’s really important to have a strong magic phase to keep on raising your troops, but going by the looks of the VC preview thread there they’re adding living troops to the army so it looks like no raising the dead :-(.
    I also wonder how much more of the VC unique flavour is lost, for example crumbling if the general dies, no marching unless close to the general/vampire, etc.
    Though Blood Dragons as a Knightly Order look cool.

• Jeremy says:

The Vampire Counts have access to undead units, no worries!

• [21CW] 2000AD says:

Yeah, but only some Undead units, if anything this army looks like the Sylvanian army from Eye of Chaos but with a lot more mortals.
      And no indication at all of magic or raising new units / back casualties, which given the game engine I’d be very surprised if it’s in there.

3. DMJ says:

Why, when I’ve just escaped from the Third Age: Total War and uninstalled M:TW2 does another must-have mod come along?

Curse you, RPS! I need that HDD space for important things!

Okay, not that important. Time to uninstall some stuff.

4. Heliosicle says:

Grrrr I just uninstalled Med2

5. Wilson says:

That looks stunning. I must buy the Kingdoms expansion (for the Middle Earth mod even if this one doesn’t need it). Anyone know where I can get it cheap in the UK, it seems to be quite expensive most places I’ve looked.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Wilson: It’s only a five on Steam.

KG

• Wilson says:

KG: True, but it says it needs the steam version of Medieval II. Whether that means I need to link in my non-steam version (if that’s even possible) or if I’d need to buy both the original and the expansion (for £14, which isn’t a vast amount) I’m not sure. I’ll take a look at the forums and find out.

Also, it seems I can get it £5.50 on play. Not sure why I had difficulty finding it when I last looked…
      Thanks for the reply anyhow.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Wilson: I have the retail version of Medieval 2 and the Steam version of Kingdoms plays just fine with it, in fact it seems to be somewhat standalone (as in, I’ve had it running without Medieval 2 installed) so long as you don’t want to fiddle about with the multiplayer.

6. klumhru says:

You need the steam version of the expansion for the steam game, and vice versa.

Also, this looks fantastic. Shame nothing like this will be possible in Empire where the MP campaign is gonna happen (perhaps soon even). Looks like M2 will be the definitive version far as TCs go.

7. CaseytheBrash says:

How long before Games Workshop gets rabid?

• klumhru says:

GW used to be pretty lenient on mods for other games using their IP, ever since WH40K mods for Doom and Quake. Has this altered in recent years?

• unitled says:

They tend not to mind unless:
      You’re giving stuff away for free that they charge for (points costs for models, for example)
      You’re pretending to be GW (though they have a fairly liberal interpretation of this… for example, just having one of their game names in your URL is often often for the Banhammer to descend)
      You’re mixing GW IP with other IPs. So, no Star Wars vs 40K mods or Orcs vs Romans mods.

8. Munin says:

And here I was clicking euphorically on the RSS link hoping for some kind of genius scripted military FPS-a-thon in the Warhammer universe. Well, this is alright too, I guess.

9. Shadrach says:

I’ve been getting my fantasy dose from Third Age, but wow, this looks great, definitely looking into once its out. Once it gets more community interest its bound to be translated (and those nasty furry critters included).

10. Alexander Norris says:

Unfortunately, I suffer from a debilitating condition known as “I used to play GW games,” which means I am physically incapable of enjoying a Warhammer game that doesn’t feature the army that I used to identify with. That means I’ll be giving this a pass until they get the Druchii in.

It’s also why I find DoW2 so boring (no Tau). :(

• Kieron Gillen says:

Alexander Norris: Dark Elves AND Tau? You have the worst taste of all the RPS posters!

KG

• Alexander Norris says:

I thought we’d already established that when I said Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was decent? :P

(Although in my defence, Tau were a million times more fun to play in 4th Ed than they ever were in Dawn of War, and dark elves have the best back-story in the whole of Warhammer.)

• Kieron Gillen says:

Norris: That was only films. This is important stuff.

KG

• Nick says:

Well, at lest it wasn’t Bretonnians.

11. Demon Claw says:

gimme gimme.. even though i only have newest total war :P dis is a propah Waaagh!

12. Dennis Farrell says:

Unfortunately, most of the models and textures in this mod have been stolen from Mark Of Chaos and passed off as original. Here’s a better explanation with comparison shots.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Dennis Farrell: Oof. To be fair, that’s from March 2008. You been all the way through the thread to see if it’s been brought up again? Early on, the guy’s claiming that it’s not most, but that won’t make a difference to the lawyers.

KG

• Dennis Farrell says:

I read the first ten pages or so and the last few, but I didn’t see it mentioned again. I’m sure players won’t mind, it just would have been nice for the team to be more up front.

13. Acosta says:

Kieron, when are you going to accept that you are the only person in the world that cares about Skaven? Not even GW cares about them!

14. Wooly says:

Did anyone else notice the soundbyte at 3:08 that was horribly obviously ripped from Civilization 2? You know, the “FIYARRR!” Man, maybe I’ve played Civ2 a reaaaally unhealthy amount, but I would recognize the sound of a howitzer attack like that anywhere…

• Wilson says:

Wooly: So that’s where it’s from! I recognized it, but couldn’t remember why. Heh, it’s been years since I played Civ2…

15. Adrian says:

It looks like the animations are pretty good. Might be one of these rare games where u dont feel like its just 2 animaded 3d models but actual persons hitting each other. I will wait and see if the game can actually live up to that expectation!

until then all i say is…..

GREEEN SKINS!!! ATTAAAACK!!!!

• Adrian says:

wait this is a medieval 2 mod? lol just watched the video and commented ^^

16. Vinraith says:

I’m pleased that, in the wake of Empire getting shafted for modding, these projects have simply fallen back to Medieval 2. The more brilliant, high profile mods there are for M2, the more people will perhaps realize that Empire had something very important stripped out of it.

And of course, principle and long-term thinking aside, this looks freaking awesome. I haven’t gotten around to Third Age yet, but Medieval 2 is fast becoming strategy total conversion central it seems. Usually I’ve just played history conversions for these games, but the quality of fantasy work being done is really spectacular. Here’s hoping it keeps up!

• Adam Whitehead says:

I think people are preferring to mod for MEDIEVAL II because it actually works, which is always a bonus ;-)

I’m part of a group which has working on a mod for MEDIEVAL II based on George RR Martin’s A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE novel series (“Soon to be a major HBO TV series,” I think we’re supposed to say now as well), which is not exactly obscure (although not in the Middle-earth/Warhammer league), and we’ve had significant problems recruiting 3D modellers/texture/skinning artists. Everything else in M2 is really easy to mod, to the point where non-specialised people can do it, but finding people with artistic skill is the biggest problem.

17. min3mat says:

Dude have you not seen the way casualties heal after battle? that would be a very simple way although the dice rolls etc would be hidden from you. If you are talking about ingame though fair enough