ModDB Best Of 2009 Voting Begins

By John Walker on December 21st, 2009 at 2:24 pm.

What do you want, a witty caption about a logo?

As the year draws to a close humanity finds itself, swelled by the spirit if the season, at its most judgemental. It is now that we must rank everything that’s happened for the past year in order of bestness, condemning the unbestest things to the ignominy of unmentionedment. So it is with the art of modding, as modder HQ ModDB begins its voting for the 2009 awards. They’re asking you, me, anyone to vote for the best mods and indie games of the past twenty-four fortnights, in order that the universe can simply know. There’s a long time to vote – up until the 20th February. You can read all the details here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. westyfield says:

BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA

2. Jonas says:

Oh it is most CERTAINLY time for an utterly shameless plug:

Please vote for The Nameless Mod for MOTY 2009 because we love you!

Here’s a funny video to prove it:

Would we make something that awesome for you for free if we didn’t love you!? I think not. Vote! :D

3. Alexander Norris says:

I’ll vote for TNM, because you guys definitely deserve it.

That said, this is modDB; I don’t have high hopes that the winners will actually be good rather than just popular (at least they have separate best upcoming and best mod categories).

4. MrTambourineMan says:

Hint: Research & Development.

• robrob says:

Research and Development was lovely.

• subedii says:

Research and Development was easily the one of the BEST singleplayer mods I’ve ever played, well up there with MINERVA.

Absolutely no questions in my mind that it deserves to win best mod. It’s intelligent, extremely well designed, solidly put together, and funny. They could release it as a paid addon pack and I’d probably recommend buying it.

Valve hired Adam Foster, they ought to give serious thought to hiring this guy as well. They could certainly stand to implement some of his puzzle ideas into Episode 3.

• Urthman says:

Research & Development was the first mod that came to mind when I saw this.

• Fumarole says:

Definitely Research and Development.

5. Heliocentric says:

Project reality and that medieval 2 mod with warhammer stuff.

I’ll probably hook natural selection and hidden source with some traditional votes, just for the undying love i hold for them.

6. Web Cole says:

Come on Project Reality!

7. High Memetic 80s Hero says:

Voted for Neotokyo, a very polished but underrated mod.

8. Dominic White says:

I have no idea what to vote for. There’s this weird meme going around that mods are too complicated to make these days, and they only get produced when developers fund contests or whatever.

This is complete bullshit, of course. There were major mods released for HL2, Unreal Tourney 3, Deus Ex, Homeworld 2, Doom 3, Freelancer Max Paynes 1 & 2, STALKER, Men of War, Homeworld 2, Doom 2 – hell, almost every game worth giving a damn (and a bunch that aren’t, even) about got at least one major release this year.

If you ever feel like having your mind blown, just go to ModDB, and filter mods by ‘Released’.

9. Shadrach says:

- Third Age Total War
    - Darkest Hour
    - Mare Nostrum
    - Neotokyo

I’m not voting for unrealeased mods though – how can it be “of the year” if no-one’s played it?

• Jonas says:

Shadrach, I sympathise with your sentiment, but they have separate categories for released and unreleased mods, and winning unreleased mod of the year can be a really nice morale booster to teams who are struggling to get their project finished :-)

10. TheLordHimself says:

I think I actually aged several years watching that video of the previous winners. Never before has a narrator managed to suck so much life out of a potentially interesting video. I fear for any old people watching, for they will surely croak it watching that!

11. Fazer says:

2005 – Garry’s Mod: The internet will never be the same again.

12. august says:

Black Mesa is still totally coming out this year, right?

Right?

13. luminosity says:

I don’t just want a witty caption, John, I crave one!

14. Cirdain says:

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT

15. LionsPhil says:

@Jonas: So that’s what it would sound like if you were to stick Dr Seuss and Jeff Minter in the same teleporter booth at the same time. Good to know!

16. malkav11 says:

I won’t be voting as I don’t spend enough time on the mod scene to be informed. But I will be anticipating the -results- with an eager eye to plucking forth any singleplayer fruits that they may yield. I expect one, perhaps two.

I guess I don’t begrudge people multiplayer mods, but I have no interest in them whatsoever (aside from ones that add coop to games that previously lacked it, I suppose) and it’s always frustrating to me to have to sort through the reams of them for something I might actually care about.

17. Setheran says:

The Ball gets my vote.

18. Dreamhacker says:

What ticks me off is that they announce the votes now, and we get the results in may-june. Lazy bastards.

19. zulu says:

Fall from heaven 2 —- easily on of the best mods and everything you would want in the fantasy version of Civilization 4

Comment on this story