Mass Effect 2: Infiltrator Class Revealed

By John Walker on December 22nd, 2009 at 7:31 pm.

As is traditional, not a picture of the Infiltrator class. Someone at EA needs to coordinate this a bit better.

Another week, another Mass Effect 2 class revealed. This time it’s the Infiltrator, and most specifically, his cloaking. Unlike previous class reveals, there’s not a lot more detail about this than this. Although I guess being able to turn invisible is maybe enough. You can’t heal when you’re invisible, as we all know, and the same is true in the game.

For some reason this video hasn’t been made available for press scooping. The only version about is the crappy small one from IGN, so apologies for that.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. T-Bone says:

I wanna see what they did with the soldier. Seeing all the other classes makes me feel guilty.

• Azhrarn says:

This is 12 minutes of gameplay from ME2, it does contain a good number of spoilers so avoid if you don’t want any, but towards the end you do get to see the Soldier class in action, including the new and improved Adrenaline Rush.

As for the video linked above, lets hope that Gametrailers gets an HD version up ASAP. =)

• Choca says:

The soldier special ability was called Adrenaline Rush the last time I played the game, don’t remember what it did though.

• Azhrarn says:

Very true, I should have left the “new” bit off there. =)

The old version refreshed all your abilities instantly I believe, but more classes could get it, it is soldier specific now.

The ME2 version seems to slow down time a tad making precision shots a lot easier.
      I imagine this being very handy for the consoles, where aiming with an analogue stick is a bit more unwieldy than the PC version where you can use a mouse.

2. PHeMoX says:

So this is what happens when Halo, Star Wars, Metal Gear Solid/ Final Fantasy and pieces of Killzone 2 are merged together???

Niiiiice!! :)

• Wooly says:

God, I hope you’re kidding/wrong/confused.

• PHeMoX says:

Probably all the above, but I’m talking both story and art direction wise, so the actual similarities might be minimal.

3. Monkeybreadman says:

Thats it! 16 videos and counting. I am so saturated in ME2 videos when i walk little bubbles of trailer come through the top of my shoes.

4. Heliocentric says:

Stealth is an interesting angle, but do you use stealth to put you shotgun in their face, move to the perfect sniper spot or use it to help you run away? I’m thinking it could be much deeper, if they bother supporting non psychic ai.

5. Brulleks says:

As much as I enjoyed Mass Effect, I’m feeling bored of ME2 already, simply because of the amount of bloody articles and reveals there have been about it.

When are the developers of the modern age going to learn that the secrets of a good game are kept exactly that: secret.

6. Azhrarn says:

Through IGNs own website you can play a higher resolution version of the Infiltrator trailer, it’s not 720p, but it’s a lot better than the small one linked above. I included the link below. The page also has an embeddable link.

• John Walker says:

This is that embeddable link.

• Azhrarn says:

@John, that’s quite inconsiderate of them then, allowing the higher res version only through their own site.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Standard IGN procedure when they get the scoop, I believe.

And here I am wondering why so many game developers choose IGN of all websites to give exclusives/scoops to. Although I can hazard a guess.

7. linfosoma says:

Im just going to do the same thing I did in the first game. Im going to pic a a soldier class, use the biggest armor I can find, rush to an enemy, punch them to the ground and shoot them like a madman while they try to get up.

Also, I subscribed to this website but Im still asked to input the captcha thingy to post messages. I want my money back!

8. Bigfoot_King says:

Do i have to create a new shepard to play these new classes or can my old shepard change class

9. Doug F says:

Bigfoot – those are the same classes, with new toys.

10. Doug F says:

They’re the same classes, just with some new toys (abilities).

My biggest issue is trying to decide which class to play through ME1 with again to carry forward.

11. jsutcliffe says:

@Doug F

Don’t quote me, but I’m pretty sure that I’ve read that you can choose a new class for your existing Shepard when you start ME2.

• Choca says:

Yes you can change class and apparence (but not change your sex) at the start of the game if you import a Mass Effect save.

12. Nickosha says:

With all the powers and abilities, it looks like this game has might just be an easy as heck steamroll through the enemies. That and the interview on CVG where the guy responded to the question of, “how essential is DLC to the experience?” with “Very” (+an explanation of possible DLC from weapon packs to expansion pack) have both had me prepare for the worst.

• Taillefer says:

Well, all you needed to get through the first game was a pistol. So they may as well have powers that clear rooms and look shiny since the difference in effort isn’t that great.

• Vinraith says:

@Nickosha

Well, considering the ridiculous disparity between the assault rifle and lift (easy mode) and every other weapon/power in the first game, the other stuff could use a little amping in the name of balance. If they have any sense, they’ll increase the difficulty of the enemies as well, of course.

13. Nighthood says:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/masseffect2/ The video on the top. It’s the first showing of ME2′s cinematic trailer, and it’s pretty nice. Seems Bioware are getting good at cinematics, especially after The Old Republic video.

14. Max says:

“You can’t heal when you’re invisible, as we all know, and the same is true in the game.”

I actually LOLed…

15. bill says:

I always pick stealth classes in games, because I tend to be devious and like the idea of sneaking in and taking the enemy out before they know what’s hit them.

But then I usually run into the problem that most games (except pure stealth games) don’t allow you to actually do much cool with stealth characters. Sneak in and get one free hit is usually about it… plus they’re usually weak and lacking all the cool variations of other classes.

Then I tend to get bored of the game half way through because stealthing it up has become repetitive and takes much longer than just blasting them… so i wish i picked an assault build and i’d already reached the end. Sigh.

It’s the same in pretty much every RPG. Fighter = cool. Mage = cool. Thief = bugger all fun to do.
    So why do i always pick thief???? (I just did the same in Fallout and I’m already regretting it.. but can’t be arsed to start again.)

PS// I DID NOT “enter the wrong captcha”!!

• Pemptus says:

I often do the same thing. I probably do that because I think that the old Thief games are some of the best things ever in the universe and I somehow wish that my stealthy character could match the coolness of playing Garrett. I also play a rogue in WoW and every other class seems boring compared to her.

I recall quitting Nolf 2 because I sucked at stealth there, and blasting everything just seemed too easy and mundane.

16. Azhrarn says:

Gametrailers has their HD version of the trailer up now.

Looks like a fun class to play, I know I’ll probably get a playthrough in with each class, because they all look awesome. =)

17. belo says:

Except Bioware didn’t do the cg, they hired another company to do it. Same with the Old Republic trailer.

18. BigJonno says:

Stealth classes in party-based games always leave me cold. How are you supposed to use it effectively if the rest of your party are clanking around in heavy armour?

• Azhrarn says:

They serve as a “distraction”, while you sneak around to the back of the enemy group and teach them what getting shot in the back is all about. Something they even show off in the trailer. =)

19. geldonyetich says:

Speaking as somebody who already has an infiltrator (specialized to Commando), I look forward to importing him and getting a nifty new cloak.