The RPS Electronic Wireless Show 35

By Kieron Gillen on December 22nd, 2009 at 1:06 pm.

There is yabber in the world again. A week or so back, Quinns and I got together and did a podcast. It’s now available. We did over Skype, however, so while Kieron’s new mic was being in oddly good form, Quinns’ was a bit off. We decided to take up the offer of one of the people who’ve said they’d do some processing for us. Mr Hockel had a tweak, and we praise him with choirs of Ursine-Angels. It sounds splendid to me, generally, with the bigger problem more Quinns leaning back too often. And me too, for that matter. Man, our mic technique is rubbish. Anyway – you can get it directly from here, subscribe via RSS here or Itunes here. And for a break down of what we talk about, please find below…

00:00 It’s sexy Leigh Alexander!
00:05 Introductions. Bitching about Leigh Alexander and her playing Bayonetta and her fancy real New York Friends. Also, Devil may cry and crotch-shots.
01:40 What have we been playing this week? Well, Solium Infernum. The war in hell is never ending.
03:10 The phrase “me and a guy called Scrofula” appears.
04:05 We talk around the issue of Quinns being best.
10:00 We talk about the all-star game we’re in. We’re going to be crushed!
12:30 Lying in bed, talking to girlfriends about Solium Infernum.
14:00 We go to the questions! Sex in Games! How would we do it! We said “do it”. Man! We are also VERY MEAN to other members of RPS.
17:30 Talking about a poetry reading thing! He’ll write about the games anthology eventually, I’m sure. Coin Opera!
20:10 Is Halo’s plot thin unless you immerse yourself in the “extra bullshit”? We never get around to answering the questions. We also forget Halo 2 and 3 exist for a long time. We’re heroes!
28:30 We segue over to Assassin’s Creed for a bit, as an example of a sequel whose plot was better. Or so says Quinns.
30:45 Modern Warfware 2′s No Russian. Bullshit? But fun to write about. Also, Kieron gets proper angry.
34:20 Batman Arkham Asylum 2′s trailer! Quinns thought the original was tight, and we talk about it some more. You’ll be amazed how far we can stretch talking about a single rope.
39:00 And a little about Photopia on the topic.
42:30 What Top 10 books would you recommend to gamers? We fumble around for a bit talking Iain Banks and similar. Kieron totally gets Micromégas’ title wrong. FAIL IN POSTURING.
50:30 Quinns is very mean about x25killa’s name. And then we talk about what games’ we’re looking forward to. The moment when Quinns realises who Jordan Thomas is very funny.
54:15 We go back to Arkham Asylum 2 and talk about how we’d do co-op in it. Kieron thinks he wouldn’t, but is proved conclusively wrong.
56:30 Words which rhyme with Animal? Some maths stuff? WHAT ARE THESE QUESTIONS.
56:50 Why was Modern Warfare 1 less linear than Quake 1. We move on to talking about the new Medal of Honor.
59:45 Who is best at the fighty games?
1:00:40 Are complains about consolisation really about simplification? Quinns can’t bear to open the can of worms.
1:02:00 How do Valve continue to make money from TF2? And stuff?
1:04:00 Oh shit. We’re talking about Left 4 Dead 2.
1:05:10 Elite 4? Kieron goes totally Daily Mail.
1:08:00 And we wrap it up. Go home!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Bobsy says:

For some reason the direct download link you’ve given doesn’t work right. But going to the podcast page does have a proper link: http://rps.libsyn.com/

2. Heliosicle says:

yay!

3. drewski says:

Quinns definitely sounds funny. Get a better microphone, silly.

• Kieron Gillen says:

drewski: Oddly, I think he got a new one. Same as my one last time we did one being oddly shitty. Who can tell?

Skype ones are always going to be a bit scrappy compared to sharing a room, admittedly.

KG

• jsutcliffe says:

@KG

Somewhere there’s a “Get a room, you two” joke to be made about that.

4. Sartoris says:

Kieron is mean. He totally deserves to be tied down to a chair and forced to listen to John Walker telling his story of the World of Warcraft mount over and over and over again.

5. drewski says:

Seminal rhymes with animal.

6. jokermatt says:

Am I the only person who’s disappointed when podcasters try to avoid rambling? It always seems to happen before the best topics too.

7. jsutcliffe says:

Once again I wonder how spoilers should be handled in podcasts. I’m about to finally get around to reading Banks’s sci fi, so I snatched my earphones out of my head when KG’s spoiler warning for Player of Games appeared. How do I know when it’s safe to put them back in? It is a conundrum.

Also, KG talking about Solium Infernum is totally Rimmer talking about Risk.

8. AndrewC says:

Books gamers would actually read: thousand page fantasy novels. Star Wars Expanded Universe novels. Batman comics.

9. Wolfman says:

Gamers should definitely read some Larry Niven – Dream Park is an obvious one but Legacy Of Heorot is awesome.

10. AndrewC says:

Gamers should definitely read: exactly the same books as everybody else because defining one’s entire cultural existence in terms of one particular activity is dysfunctional to the point of sociopathy!

Yep.

• Kieron Gillen says:

AndrewC: I don’t think a Tau/Dark Elf fan is in a position to accuse anyone of being dysfunctional to the point of sociopathy.

KG

• AndrewC says:

KG: I think you’re mixing me up with another comments feller – Alexander Norris I think – in that Call Of Warhammer mod story.

I’m the one who thinks that anyone who has ever played any of those table top Warthingy games is dysfunctional to the point of sociopathy. Or possibly slightly past it, depending on the roll.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Such sweeping judgments do no one any favours!

• Kieron Gillen says:

Andrew: Ah yes. Sorry!

KG

• AndrewC says:

KG: That’s OK, i’ve heard he is a very handsome man.

11. Munken says:

I can’t believe Kieron got away with saying ‘The only time anyone makes any serious effort is when they’re on their knees’

12. jsutcliffe says:

One thing I’m often confused about: What was Elite 3?

• dan :/ says:

Frontier: First Encounters

• jsutcliffe says:

Well, I guess I kind of knew that. I just have trouble seeing it as a game in its own right, rather than just an expanded Frontier. Also, I never played it so clearly it doesn’t exist.

13. AndrewC says:

I do have a slightly serious comment though, which is about Quinns calling Arkham Asylum bold and (i think) forward thinking in it’s mechanics, citing how it nicks the walking bits from Gears Of War and the fighting (which it nicked from Prince Of Persia) as examples of this newness. This is a bit dissonant, isn’t it?

Surely Arkham Asylum is a counter example to the ‘if you want to be a success, do something new’ argument – being an example of doing almost nothing new in a very hoary genre (licenced action game!), but just doing it loads better than anybody else?

• Kieron Gillen says:

AndrewC: Quinns point: regarding the walking, it was bold because it followed an innovation which was slaughtered. Someone doing Deus Ex’s unified ammo now would be bold, because they saw what happened to the people who did try it.

(In fact, doing something which you know has been previously hated is more bold than doing something totally new. In the latter, you’ve got no idea what the response will be. With the former, you know what it was last time…)

KG

• DMJ says:

@KG: So the secret to being bold is to be completely oblivious to the past?

• Kieron Gillen says:

DMJ: Yes. That’s exactly it.

EDIT: Actually, fuck it. Sarcasm won’t do.

WHEN YOU KNOW IT CAN WORK, NOT WIMPING OUT BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE DIDN’T MAKE IT WORK IS BOLD. IN INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE INDIANA WAS BRAVER THAN THE FIRST PERSON WHO WENT DOWN THE TUNNEL BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT EVERYONE ELSE WHO WALKED DOWN THE TUNNEL DIED… BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY, AND FIGURED IT OUT AND GOT THE HOLY GRAIL AND STUFF.

METAPHOR!

KG

14. The Dark One says:

I guess Player of Games’s subject is fitting when talking about introducing gamers to books, but I think Look to Windward is a better intro to the Culture.

And about TF2 and money, I figure that the sheer amount of attention given to the updates on news sites is enough to get new people to buy the game. On top of that, I’m sure there are some people who’ll pick it up when it’s cheap if they see half of their entire Friends List suddenly start the game up the second the update hits. Not that I blame any site for covering the week’s worth of comics and videos and backstory they roll out each time.

I’m reminded about that ‘how to get the media to pay attention to your indie game’ thing you guys linked to in the Sunday Papers. Valve makes it so easy to pay attention to them when they do fun stuff like this. Community stuff like this doesn’t have the reach of a big TV/web banner/billboard ad campaign, but it also doesn’t costs $25 million.

15. Dante says:

On the books gamers should read thing, has anyone read Halting State by Charles Stross? It’s an interesting attempt at extending things like MMOs and ARGs into the near future.

16. Big Daddy says:

Please say the title of that World War 2 book you spoke of again it was the critical point of the sentence and it wasn’t spoken properly. 10 Re-winds did me no good.

Yes i am a gamer and therefore i like World War 2 its true.

17. Kadayi says:

The complete lack of casual use of Tactical Nukes in the recent Medal of Hono(u)r trailer makes me believe that is might well fulfil the Keiron criteria of doing something slightly different Vs MW2. Personally I’m hoping more Hurtlocker/Generation Kill than Michael Bay. Plus epic facial hair.

18. Hybrid says: