Pics And Words: Carrier Command

By Jim Rossignol on December 24th, 2009 at 11:08 am.

This doesn’t seem to be reported anywhere else on the web, so here’s a quick update for reborn ’80s classic Carrier Command. I’ve posted new release and screens below. It’s looking very interesting indeed.

Prague, 22th December 2009 – Bohemia Interactive, one of the Czech Republic’s leading independent development studios, together with IDEA Games association, announce today the release of the second pack of in-game screenshots to their upcoming project Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Four screenshots sneak peek view is uncovering the action part of this highly anticipated return of 80’ classics.

The team is proud to take this opportunity and announce the new dynamic weather and daytime simulation system which was successfully implemented into Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Weather is simultaneously simulated across whole vast archipelago of Taurus moon. From nasty storms on ice covered islands, through foggy weather on marsh islands, to cloudless sky of summer temperate islands the weather on Taurus is not only infuencing visibility and graphic appeal but has dynamic effects on game environment including grass, trees and sea.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission will feature large 32 island archipelago occupied by an enemy. It is on player to claim the territory and establish his presence in this only human colony in universe. Islands differ in shapes, sizes (up to 16 square kilometres) and being spread amongst 6 different climatic zones also in weather conditions and flora.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission, set in the Gaea Universe, with a story adapted from the science fiction trilogy of novels, reinvents the classic gameplay of the original Carrier Command, released in 1988, to deliver a truly next-gen experience.

The game’s story centers on a crew waking from their thirty-year hibernation in the middle of a war that has raged from Earth to Humanity’s first colony in another solar system. The colony planetoid of Taurus is a pivotal battleground in the United Earth Coalition (UEC)’s long campaign against the rogue Asian Pacific Alliance (APA), who gained dominion over Earth in an apocalyptic conflict. The wide oceans of Taurus are dotted with resource-rich islands of varying composition and hiding many secrets. As a commander of near-future aircraft carrier of immense power player will fight his way thru this exciting combination of first-person action and strategic elements in a complete experience like no other.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is scheduled for release in 2010.

For more information please visit www.carriercommand.com

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tommo says:

If its half as good as any other Bohemia Interactive game then its going to be AWESOME!!

• Alexander Norris says:

If it’s half as good as any other Bohemia Interactive game, it’s going to be shit.

(Bohemia Interactive games are 50% awesome, 50% bugs.)

• Jim Rossignol says:

And 50% awesome bugs.

• Gap Gen says:

Better hope they chose the right half, then.

• Unaco says:

You and your pessimism Ansob. As far as OFP, the awesomeness far outweighed the bugs, and it was an absolutely fantastic game. ARMA was missing a decent SP campaign, but for MP, again, it was awesome despite the bugs. Haven’t picked up ARMA2, lack of hardware capabilities… but I’m sure it’s awesome aswell. If this is a Sci-Fi OFP/ARMA, it will be awesome.

2. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Complexity comes with a price…ask Derek Smart about it

3. Heliocentric says:

This could be bloody awesome.

Can Boho release a game which isn’t a mess? In fact, I’m going to pretend this is being developed by someone else and just be quietly hopeful.

4. NPC says:

“Simultaneously simulated”, nice marketspeak.

Can we just assume this will be ArmA II with hovercraft?

• Unaco says:

I see very little wrong with such a combination.

• PHeMoX says:

So far I would say “yes”. It does remind me of Battlefield 2142, which doesn’t quite change anything for me.

I’m still undecided if this is a good or bad thing. Hopefully they will make more of a game out of it than Arma II ever was.

5. Glove says:

I remember seeing those screenshots and a short teaser vid a while ago and being very interested, but I can’t remember how I found information on it.

Also: why, on sites meant to encourage people to learn more about the games they feature, is there still Flash navigation buttons that force a “content pre-loading” screen and blatantly ignore the incredibly useful feature that is tabbed browsing?

6. Danny says:

I’ll play a buggy Bohemia game over a streamlined so called triple ‘A’ game any day.

7. stahlwerk says:

I kinda liked the story of the original game better: “Volcanic activities” in the south pacific create a new archipelago of perfectly rectangular, minerally rich islands. An advanced AI controlled amphibous carrier is sent to establish mining facilities, but is hijacked en route by “terrorists”, who subsequently reprogram it to destroy the islands.
    An older non-AI prototype model of the carrier is dispatched, which arrives at the islands just in time as the enemy carrier begins its path of destruction. In 9 out of 10 cases though, the second carrier’s commander chooses the tried and true strategy of “dicking around”, crashing walrus AAVs in the carriers mines, launching cruise missiles at factories and or pine trees and using the deck gun to aim at his own mantas in a game of mega-million-dollar clay-pigeon shooting.

(I can’t believe I remember this pulp, I was obsessed with this game as a child. Having played it in emulators since then, those nostalgia glasses are frighteningly effective.)

(( merry christmas ))

8. Cool Face says:

>Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

“Gaea”

REALLY ?!………Gaea ?! Good God, what do you have to smoke/inject to come up with a title like that……….seriously.

9. twsj says:

It’s debatable if using a Bohemia product can be said to be ‘playing a game’ in any useful sense.

10. Rage McDougal says:

22th December”…

11. leeder_krenon says:

hopefully they will remake midwinter next.

• Caleb367 says:

Three thousands thumbs up to the idea. Carrier Command and the two Midwinters robbed me many a night when I was WAY younger.

And still, I salivate furiously at the thought one of them is getting a remake.

• Redd says:

YESSSSSSSS! Midwinter was the shiz. Nice bit of random to it too IIRC.

12. RGS says:

Really looking forward to this.

13. westyfield says:

That second image (the snowy forest one) is possibly the most gorgeous thing I’ve ever seen. Please, someone tell me it’s an in-game screenshot. Please!

14. Cvnk says:

I hope they are better at making games than websites.

15. Alaric says:

Looks pretty awesome!

16. LionsPhil says:

You could remake Midwinter today with nowt but a graphical and interface update and the gameplay would still hold up.

But…seriously…dark and brown? Sigh. I’ll take the old flat-filled brightly-coloured polys of original Carrier, thanks. At least I can bloody see the walri.

• Dominic White says:

“But…seriously…dark and brown?”

In those screenshots, I’m seeing rocks in the savannah, a winter wonderland, thick green forests and a cloud of earthy dust kicked up by gunfire and overhead aircraft. They also seem to be dark-ish because they all seem to be taken at dusk, when things are looking dramatic and shadowy.

17. KP says:

I dream of the day when I can read comments on a BIS game without the BUGS BUGS BUGS rhetoric. GTA4 was, and still is, a buggier experience than Arma2. Almost every commercial game has similar amounts of bugs at release. BIS tries harder than most to fix them and should be applauded.

18. bender says:

My main problems with Arma 2 are the horrible mouse controls (and yes, I’ve tried every single trick out there, but it’s still nowhere near as crisp as it should be) and the fact that it still doesn’t run very well on my very high end computer. Well, if I want to have any sort of graphical detail (like the enemies, or the terrain, both of which could be useful in a game like this) on my screen, that is. But instead of complaining about it constantly, I’m instead just waiting until most of the bigger stuff gets patched. I’m thinking that in about 3-4 months, I’ll be playing the game quite happily. Can’t wait!

Oh yeah, this bit of news was about some other game. Looks pretty decent, but nowadays it’s impossible to judge any game based on screenshots, or even video in most cases. The demo shall reveal the true strengths and weaknesses of this game.

19. Pod says:

This guy is going to be well pissed off:

He’s been making it for ages.

20. RogB says:

midwinter 2 – perfect to be remade in the crysis engine!

• RogB says:

gah, meant to be a reply to leeder_krenon. damn this bizarre reply system and festive boozery

21. Adam Whitehead says:

CARRIER COMMAND was genius. Up to the point where I realised the Amiga version didn’t have a time-skip facility (later versions did, annoyingly), meaning that travelling between two nearby islands would take 10-20 minutes of real time. Yeah, there was a cheat that allowed you sort of to time-skip but it didn’t work very well (and occasionally had me crashing into the island I was travelling to).

Despite that, it had some brilliant ideas and was insanely ambitious for a 1988 game. Plus the intro music was seriously cool, if very 1980s:

SYNTH-DRUMS!

• Langman says:

If I recall, that wasn’t actually the in-game intro music. It was just a bonus song on cassette inside the box. It’s pretty good though. I used to listen to it a lot when I was about 12. ¬_¬

• Adam Whitehead says:

The lyrics weren’t on there, but the actual tune was on the Amiga version. You could leave it running and it played about half of the whole thing over and over before you could click the mouse to get into the game. AFAIK, the other versions didn’t have it.

22. crscheid says:

These screenshots scream original Halo to me. I know that’s completely unlike anything it’s going to be, but that’s what i see when i see them.