A Closer Look: Splinter Cell Conviction

By Kieron Gillen on January 4th, 2010 at 8:15 pm.

See - the image relates to the headline and... oh, I give up.

Splinter Cell Conviction, eh? It’s certainly a video-isual game in development currently. But it’s more than that. It’s a video-isual game in development which Gamespot have put up 12 (Count ‘em!) minutes of Footage of. Crikey. With that kind of exposure, you could probably watch it and not bother playing the game when it comes out. The video is hiding nearby. Find it. Go find it!

You win!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliosicle says:

I win!

I just hope the port is “reasonable”

2. Dreamhacker says:

I haven’t really played a bad Splinter Cell PC port yet…

I just hope they’ve remembered to put the laser sight back in! :)

• Gunrun says:

@Dreamhacker
      Then you didn’t play the Double Agent port. Ran like shit on high end hardware of the time, and one of the key parts of the game (being good or bad, rewarding you with unlockable items) didn’t actually work, in that new items weren’t accessable.

• Dreamhacker says:

Gunrun: I own the game for PC, I played it on mid-end hardware on which it ran quite unlike excrement and said bug did not happen to me, at all.

Do you have any other bitter and misinformed opinions on Double Agent or are you just here to troll?

• BobbleHat says:

Nope, on high-end hardware of the time (in particular 8800s) that you’d expect it to run like liquid silk on, it was barely playable. It seemed to be ok on lower spec machines. That’s what most people would call a shoddy port.

• Tom says:

Ran like pants for me too Dreamhacker. Maybe you just got lucky. Wasn’t even all that good a game imo. Quite disapointing.
      Oh, and the game faltering bugs. Good lord. Talk about an unfinished product.

3. convict says:

I forgot this was even coming to PC! Exciting! What I’ve seen on the 360 looked a little shaky, but it should run nicely on my new PC :)

Did anyone else catch the codeofconviction.com thing at the end of the recent Splinter Cell video? Googling it turns up some sort of ARG or puzzle or some shit.

4. Heliocentric says:

I’m not watching these. I want this game to be great, I will read reviews but i don’t want to spoiler myself.

5. Web Cole says:

We want our Solium Infernum game diary!!!!

When do we want it?!?!?!

Well… sometime in the next two… or three weeks would be lovely?

:P

6. Kadayi says:

With the HUGE steam Christmas sale thingy I finally got around to playing The original game, which graphical agedness aside I really enjoyed & subsequently now find myself playing through Chaos Theory (I heard Double agent was a bit of a turd & inexplicably the better rated Pandora Tomorrow isn’t on Steam for some unknown reason…why Ubisoft, why?), which is entertaining, but strikes me as a lot easier than the original somehow (grabbing people is a piece of cake Vs the first). Conviction looks interesting, though I’m not entirely convinced by the colour to black & white thing Vs the old light metre from the earlier games, and as I’m a complete stealthier the fancy new combat stuff is probably going to be lost on me (I don’t think I’ve fired a shot in SC:CT yet and I’m in Japan now..). That targeting element looks all very fancy as well (based off of this & the previous GDC trailer), but at the same time kind of diminishes the idea of you truly being under that much threat as it appears pretty much anyone who’s targeted is almost insta dropped if you choose to go crazy with the cheese whip.

Also is it me, or does Sam Fisher inhabit a world which is almost exclusively made up of men? (Grimsdóttír & his daughter being the exception) I realise clearly that the developers probably wanted to stay away from screenshots of Sam Fisher holding a knife to woman’s throat being splashed across the colour pages of the daily fascist and ‘Ban this sick filth’ headlines, but it wouldn’t go amiss to add some degree of equality/worldliness to the game (what about a female antagonist/right hand man or something?)?. Hitman manages to do this without complaint, & you definitely have to kill people in that.

7. Rick says:

Use major’s face with paper shredder. Ow.

8. mcnostril says:

That looks pretty awesome, but I’m not that big a fan of the saturation instead of light meter approach.

I don’t know, I think it takes away from the mood of the levels a bit, and the constant back and forth between color and black and white is a bit jarring to me.

9. Vapor says:

Why are they shooting so many guards? This looks more like a over-the-shoulder shooter with stealth mechanics instead of a stealth-based game.

My faith in this game plummeted when “Kestrel” whipped out the SMG and blasted away at gaurds…

10. Psychopomp says:

I’m not liking the UI at all…

11. Heliocentric says:

@kadayi In pandora you meet up with a friendly cia woman a few times and SPOILERS

you are asked to cold bloodedly execute an insurgent woman who was helping you, its a choice, but not killing her carries a price.

• Kadayi says:

Heh, well it’s good to know it’s a not a complete man’s world. I’m planning on picking up a retail copy of PT sometime, but after excessive binging during the Steam sale I think I can sit on it a bit.

12. Heliocentric says:

@vapor i played through chaos theory using only the shotgun attachment frag grenades and no other equipment. Frag grenades have a legitimate stealth use, blowing up anti air vehicles, just post it in the hatch.

Comment on this story