PT Boats, Shipshape Demo

By Jim Rossignol on January 4th, 2010 at 9:23 am.

A demo for the recently-released naval combat game from Akella and Battlefront, PT Boats, turned up while we were off-air. You can grab it here for a price of 838mb. Battlefront report that: “The demo includes 3 airplanes, 16 naval units, 3 tutorial missions, as well as a demo campaign playable from both the Allied and the Axis points of view.” So that sounds interesting. Recentish game footage posted below.

, , , .

1. Crozon says:

Tried the demo and quite liked it

2. Dood says:

Ah, the poor little guy. Getting blown into the air like that is not nice.

3. Javier-de-Ass says:

oh yeah. this demo was really good

4. Leo says:

Why has no-one made a WWI naval sim? The ships are much prettier. And the scuttling of the German fleet at Scapa Flow is the real life equivalent of the nuke button in Lemmings.

• UK_John says:

I still have my Commodore 64 and games, as well as all the PC games I have ever bought. This means I still have Silent Service, Red Storm Rising, Destroyer Escort, Strike Fleet, Carriers at War and more for my C64, and Gunboat, Task Force 1942, Fleet Command, Silent Hunter, Sea Rogue and many more on PC (mostly DOS).

Is it any wonder Retro gaming is the fastest growing genre!

5. Dozer says:

Instant turn-off in the huge columns of thick black smoke the navy ships are producing. My understanding (based on lurking on the Silent Hunter forums recently) is that oil-fired warships didn’t produce much smoke, unless they wanted to lay a smokescreen.

6. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Russian “games” suck.

7. Tei says:

The L block disagree…

#
    #
    ##

8. moltobenny says:

> Why has no-one made a WWI naval sim?

9. Hypocee says:

Wot? I thought this had died aborning? I thought the devs released a beta for free as their company went under, and I had it on my hard drive…?

10. Peace of Eight says:

Have to partially disagree, Mr Bigglesworth. I quite like the IL-2 series, even if some of the flight models are a bit wonky in places. However, I’ll meet you in the middle: All Akella games suck. I swore off them forever after the third time being disappointed by one of their buggy pieces of crap. Their idea of playtesting is “sell it quickly before somebody notices that we didn’t bother to debug the code.”

11. Shadowcat says:

Man, I kept seeing comments (elsewhere) about how weak the graphics were, and now I have to wonder what they were smoking. Look at those waves! Look at how the ships actually cut through them as they move… it’s beautiful.

12. schurem says:

Why do naval sims always insist on the player being in one of the smaller and flimsier things on the battlefield? i want to drive/command one of them huge battlewagons! shure it may be slow slogging gameplay. Give me gratuitous naval battles with such an engine and i am in heaven :D