Tori Not-In-Amos: New(ish) Sumotori Dreams

By Kieron Gillen on January 5th, 2010 at 9:08 pm.

Sumotori Dreams is the game of my life.

I’ve been trying to blog this since before Christmas. There’s probably a half-written post lying in the guts of the RPS-machinery. Basically, the geniuses behind Sumotori Dreams have released a paid-for version which includes four (Count ‘em!) player modes and similar. Four buffoons crashing around. It literally doesn’t get any better than that. I wrote about Sumotori Dreams in 2007′s Advent Calender. No less a luminary than Charlie Booker noted “that only way to improve it would be to set it in a branch of Nandos”. Who can argue? Play the demo and pay four dollars fifty for the full one (Note: You can download the full version, but you won’t be able to play it. Get the demo!). Oh – here’s some men falling over.

And if you don’t think this is better than Virtua Fighter IV then you probably work for Edge.

, , .

1. Shamanic Miner says:

That video is slapstick gold.

2. Javaguy says:

A few of us tried this a couple of weeks ago and found the trial lasted anything between 10 and 30 seconds. Shame, I was a big fan of the original but would’ve liked to try out the paid one for a reasonable length of time before commiting to buying it :(

3. jsutcliffe says:

Yeah, the trial is ludicrously short. I don’t like time-limited demos at the best of times, but this goes a bit far.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yep games that cost $4.50 and have a free predecessor need to have large fully featured demos.

sigh.

4. Linfosoma says:

I still have the original installed, I am so buying this.

Wisq says:

Just played the original. I haven’t laughed so hard in a while — had to stop so I could breathe.

I’m a bit concerned by this entry in the list of features for the full version:

Improved “intelligency” after match

The post-match hilarity was arguably the best part. Have they nerfed that?

Sagan says:

No in this case “improving intelligency” means, that they have a slight tendency to lean forward after the match. So now it’s even more impossible for them to stand up.

6. Nyst says:

They look like a pair of drunkards having an epileptic seizure.
    Sure was funny to watch though. The way they kept tripping and falling down over the smallest object makes me think there could be matches where they’ll fall out before even touching their opponent.

7. Rei Onryou says:

Video looks like drunken people attempting to partake in coitus. It IS the game of Kieron’s life!

8. DuBBle says:

What a shame.

9. Fatrat says:

This is great, saw the original about 1.5 years ago, no idea how long it’s actually been out for. Great way to make people bust out laughing in a packed lecture.

10. MacBeth says:

The only thing that would improve this would be the ability to kick the opponent in the arse as they try to get up.

11. Calabi says:

This is sheer awesome, its probably the best game ever made.

12. Silverfish says:

What a shame.

13. Heliocentric says:

Now i want to eat nando’s. Thanks alot!

4 player? Hmm

14. Zerrick says:

This has been said in the original thread but is worth repeating: you can find a hidden mode by shooting blocks at a plate on the right in the menu.

15. noggin says:

This has been said in the comments above but is worth repeating:

What a shame

16. Psychopomp says:

FUCK YES SUMOTORI YOU ARE THE BEST DRUNK SIMULATOR EVER

17. noom says:

You know what this reminds me of? Some crazy old freeware game I used to have involving sumo stick men type fellows who were locked together and you controlled their legs in an attempt to make the other guys head hit the ground first… can’t for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was mightily amusing.

18. MonkeyBoy says:

You’re thinking of Toribash!

19. Ploddish says:

What a shame.

20. Clovis says:

Haha, after one fight the grey dude manage to end up standing on his own hands in some kinda’ Yoga position and simply stopped moving.

I like this better than toribash because my virus protection doesn’t tell me it is a trojan.

21. Wulf says:

I’ve been tempted to buy this, because I always did love Sumotori Dreams. Mostly because this is always what I imagined a run in with an Elysian Dragon would look like.

Inebriation gas, the lungs absorb that much better than the body would normally, suddenly everyone gets stupendously drunk and they all end up stumbling over each other and nearly having accidental buttsex whilst trying to get the Dragon. Meanwhile said Dragon is in stitches.

I’d pay to see a scene like that in a D&D game.

But I digress, I loved the original Sumotori Dreams (haven’t tried the new one yet) and that’s recommended to anyone who has a sense of humour, especially since it’s still free.

22. innociv says:

I’d pay 10 if it had multiplayer. :(

23. duel says:

Why don’t you try the free version? it plays the same and it should give you some idea to whether you’d like the full version ;)

24. Rozahba says: