All Reik On The Night: Call Of Warhammer

By Kieron Gillen on January 7th, 2010 at 11:05 am.

I don't fancy yours much, etc.
You may remember before Christmas, we mentioned a Medieval 2 Warhammer mod was coming out before Christmas. Now, after Christmas, it’s out. And then it’s slightly more out, as they released a V1.01. Instructions for downloading and installing the mod can be found here. Instructions for installing the English patch to un-Russian it are here. And Hot Daemonette on Bloodletter on Plaguebear action is below the cut. Also some elves, because you can’t have everything.

Oh – and the screenshot was grabbed from here.

Impressions? Okay. Here’s my John Walker: “Cry! Cry! Cry!”.

But I haven’t played Call of Warhammer yet, so can’t tell you about it.

, , , .

1. Glove says:

Oh, poor Mr. Walker. Mr. Gillen: you’re a big bully, you are.

2. cowthief skank says:

I knew there was a reason why I should have bought Medieval 2 during the Steam sale…

• bill says:

Don’t worry… i thought the same, but all the cool Medievil 2 mods (including this one) need the Kingdoms expansion pack… and while M2:TW was $4.99 on steam, the bundle including the expansion pack wasnt in the sale, so it was $30ish…. and the steam version needs the steam expansion.

I’d have bought it too, for this and the Middle Earth mod, if they’d put Kingdoms in the sale.

And if it’d been available in my region…. stupid regional restrictions!!!

• Jeremy says:

Well, technically $20 since you could buy M2:TW and the expansion separately, which were $5 and $15 respectively.

3. Okami says:

Those are clearly Witch Elves, not Daemonettes! I’m very disappointed in you, Mr. Gillen. Also the apparent lack of Skaven in this trailer is a crime.

• Jacques says:

I concur.

Also, Chaos Dwarfs? Sweet.

• Alexander Norris says:

Actually, look at their hair. I think they’re supposed to be daemonettes but someone gave them weapons instead of claws and tentacle lashes for some reason. Plus, there’s still no trace of dark elves, so I doubt they’d've chosen to show just the Witch Elves.

Anyway, why are those ork spearmen charging White Lions at the end? Everyone knows they’re only good for providing static CR bonuses!

• JB says:

I’m with Alexander on this one, they are clearly MEANT to be daemonettes, but someone couldn’t be arsed to figure out the claws etc, so they got weapons instead.

• golden_worm says:

I guess by “etc” you referring to fact that they are only ‘sposed to have the one tit?

4. NeilH says:

Given GW’s recent love of IP related angriness do you reckon this will last long?

• Lack_26 says:

I’m honestly surprised that they haven’t issued a cease and desist already, actually.

• Riesenmaulhai says:

Wasn’T their cease & decist meaniness due to some kind of “refreshing an IP”? If so, there’s no reason to go on paying lawyers surfing the internet and writing mean letters until they want to refresh that IP again. Whatever “refreshing” might mean in this sense.

• Starky says:

It is a Russian mod though, and unless I am mistaken Russian IP laws are vastly different from US/EU ones to the degree where using an IP in a free mod may not be illegal at all.
      Much like downloading for personal use isn’t illegal in Russia, thus cheap no frills R5 DVDs that come out well before we get a DVD release, often at the same time we get a cinema release.

• Arathain says:

FUMBBL is still up. Some changes were made to the site, and GW hasn’t asked for anything else that I know of. Perhaps they are done with this round of showing off their legal alpha male status.

5. iainl says:

About 30 minutes from first contact, NeilH.

6. phil says:

Goodbye Mark of Chaos, your time is past and your controls made playing you feel like an elaborate act of self harm.

If anyone involved in Call of Warhammer is reading; Any plans for incorporating godly types like Sigmar/Nagash/the Old Ones?

7. RogB says:

DORFS!
    CHAOS DORFS!

requires Kingdoms?! awwwww :(

8. Lacero says:

0.0 Turn off your antivirus while you download and install mod

hmmm

• Riesenmaulhai says:

I want this even if it breaks my computer.

• Premium User Badge Maltose says:

To be fair, almost every program tells you to turn off the AV when you install. I haven’t heard of one that told you to turn off the AV during the download, however.

9. cypher says:

lol when a warhammer mod includes something as minor as chaos dwarfs you know its going to be awesome

10. Bhazor says:

I still reckon those models have been half inched from Mark of Chaos. But it looks bloody lovely anyway.

Edit: I only just found out its a full campaign mod not just a skirmish mod. Cor, I almost got a semi when I found out.

11. Driadan says:

But you could buy the game and the expansion separately (2,5+9€ aproximately) which was cheaper than the pack (27 €)

12. JonFitt says:

Aww. You could have prefaced it with REQUIRES KINGDOMS before getting our hopes up.

13. Adam Whitehead says:

Given that KINGDOMS is notably superior to the original game (seriously, how can you not try to conquer the world with legions of Welshmen?), I’m not sure why people are moaning about it. Forget the mods, KINGDOMS is a decent game in its own right and easily the best TOTAL WAR expansion released to date.

• Bhazor says:

I second that.
      Kingdoms is still the best game in the series.

14. RogB says:

somewhat unrelated to the OP, but can M:TW2 be played without the campaign map?

I bought the original on the cheap and love sending people to their inevitable doom but cant be bothered with the Risk/CIV part…
    download skirmishes?

• Jeremy says:

I love the Risk/Civ part, it’s actually my favorite aspect, dominating the Papacy, crusading whoever the heck you want, assassinations, spying, etc. Generally, I 50/50 play the battles so I can spend more time organizing my forces, building improvements and all of that. Usually I only play the truly epic battles, or when I desperately need more generals and try to get a Man of the Hour, or am horribly outnumbered and know that my tactics can win the day… or at least take out enough of them to stop them from attacking with whatever is left. That’s why the battles to me aren’t nearly as exciting, the AI is pretty ridiculous at times and very exploitable, or maybe I’m just a stunning commander, can’t quite figure it out :)

I also tend to sacrifice my disloyal generals by allowing them to decimate an army by themselves before charging headlong to an honorable death.

• Adam Whitehead says:

There’s some historical battles included and you can play skirmishes, but if you mean just play a succession of battles, no. You could in the ALEXANDER expansion for ROME which had four or five of Alexander the Great’s biggest battles in a row and you needed to win each to move on to the next. That was pretty good (and narrated by Brian Blessed!).

15. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

This “music” is a major turn-off. It ruins the whole Warhammer atmosphere.

Imagine a huge and epic battle scene (Braveheart, LotR ect.) with freakin’ Cannibal Corpse singing their evergreen “Hammer smashed face”, yeah, I know…….that would be terrific.

Way to go, Ivan………….

• Dominic White says:

I take it you’ve never been in a Games Workshop in your life. Warhammer is about as metal as a setting can get.

• Vitamin Powered says:

Normally I’d agree with you; I find using a metal soundtrack for anything completely bonkers…

But. This just somehow maddeningly works. And I think that’s because it’s Warhammer. Warhammer, right? The game that’s answered the question “Wouldn’t it be awesome if we based an entire setting and game off of every metal album cover in our collection?!?” with a mighty, shouted yes.

• Dominic White says:

Warhammer IS metal. It’s what they play (or at least played) back in the day in Games Worshop, and there have even been direct tie-ins in the past. Here’s one:

16. Shadrach says:

I’m not prejudiced or anything but russian modders telling me to turn of AV to install? I think not.

17. Cheshire P says:

Ooh, I hope Mansons “The New Shit” is in the soundtrack somewhere…

18. Premium User Badge Morph says:

Those Plaguebearers are huge! I’m sure that’s the wrong scale. But aside from that… ooo.. Chaos Dwarfs.. yey!

19. Legionary says:

That’s what malware authors often do though isn’t it – build and complete a large mod to trick a niche market into installing a trojan included amongst the mod files.

20. JB says:

Those Bloodletters look great. (Pains me to say that, being a Nurgle man)

Also, arrows etc in the skeletons’ skulls? Very cool.

Also, squigs? Awesome.

And what the hell is that in the orc lines at 4:04? A very large black orc, or troll or what?

21. ChampionHyena says:

Warhammer is absolutely metal. GW’s own Adrian Smith did the cover for GWAR’s Violence Has Arrived album, and GWAR themselves never appear on stage without the nine-pointed star of Chaos appearing SOMEWHERE.

I think the pivotal problem with the metal presented in this trailer, though, is that it sucks.

Meantime, I have got to get Medieval II (and Kingdoms, apparently) back on this machine.

• JB says:

I need to get Med 2 and Kingdoms, full stop.

I skipped from Rome to Empire. (Though I have played plenty of Med 2, just don’t own it.)

22. ChampionHyena says:

-1 to reply function.

23. Ginger Yellow says:

I’ve got Kingdoms somewhere, but I’ve no idea where. I didn’t reinstall it when I moved to Windows 7. Now I’ll have to dig through my many boxes of old games. Bugger. This is why Steam rocks.

24. rei says:

What’re those guys with the hats with a skull on them called? I like them. I hope they win.

25. mpk says:

Dwarfs in top hats are win.

26. Subject 706 says:

Over on twcenter, they are praising this mod to the high heavens, even though the translation isn’t quite complete. Will download and check out, if only to relive those half-forgotten memories from Dark Omen.

27. belo says:

I might buy Kingdoms just to check this out…

28. feighnt says:

bah to what the others said – i agree with you wholeheartedly, the soundtrack to this video is dreadful. that said, i admit, i generally dont like metal, but, hell, even in this case – they choose something really *aggravatingly* generic. it actually reminded me of stuff you hear in the Dynasty Warriors, ugh.

29. feighnt says:

bugger… -2 to reply function. my message was supposed to be a reply to Mr Bigglesworth.