Infinity Ward May Not Make Modern Warfare 3

By John Walker on January 7th, 2010 at 10:20 pm.

Anyone who slags off Treyarch, go play the PS2's Big Red One.

Rumblings in the Call of Duty world. Or the World Of Call Of Duty, as seems inevitable at this point when so many teams appear to be invested in the franchise. You may have heard back in November that Activision had apparently added a third development team onto CoD making duty, alongside Treyarch and the main bods, Infinity Ward. It now seems, according to rumours reported by VG247, that those main bods may not be the people responsible for Modern Warfare 3. Which becomes an interesting story when you realise it frees the team up to potentially work on a new project.

You have to imagine at this point, having made only Call Of Duty games for the last decade, that the idea of doing something else might be quite appealing the to developers. While I’m sure there’s room for more hype, more expectation and even greater sales, it would seem reasonable to assume they were happy with the peak they’ve already reached.

So the rumour is that simple – according to VG247′s anonymous source (and you have to assume Mr Garratt isn’t blowing smoke when he decides goes ahead with the story) – another of Activision’s coterie will be taking on the duty of creating the third game in the enormous franchise. And more significantly, that IW’s next game will be “completely new”.

I think there’s a temptation to roll eyes at the mention of Infinity Ward at this point, especially for us counter-cultural elite types with our berets and calligraphy pens behind our ears. Modern Warfare 2 may not have set our hearts alight, but I maintain that Call of Duty 1 and 2 are stand-out shooters. The emotional impact of the original CoD still sticks with me – a game I found myself having to quit out of after each chapter to let the feelings of horror fade away. Every WW2 shooter likes to include boasts of paying tribute, etc, in their PR. In IW’s case this seems to be genuine. Well, to an extent. The developers, certainly during the development of CoD2, seemed to exist in a state of creative conflict. (As in, the sort of conflict that’s creative.) Half the people at the team I asked would tell me it was about creating an experience that respected the horror of war, basing the linear levels on the events recounted by veterans they’d interviewed, wanting to be authentic. The other half would reply, “We want it to be like an action movie.” I think this tension, this split desire to make something that’s fun and explodey as well as sombre and affecting, was the pearl-generating irritant. (Which leads me to tentatively throw out the idea that perhaps the ludicrous No Russian level was an attempt to recapture that.)

Which is my oh-so long-winded way of saying, I’m really keen to see what a team as talented as Infinity Ward might make if not shackled to that heaviest of licenses. Presuming the rumour‘s true.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Naug says:

I think the title is the subject of one of them typos.

2. Excalibur101 says:

“Infinity Ward May Not Make Modern Warfare 2″

This title confuses me.

3. postmanX3 says:

Modern Warfare 2?

4. Scoteh says:

Hes having a bully day. Are you having a bully day? Bully!

5. Nighthood says:

It’s not an incorrect title, it’s just that we’re in 2008 at the moment. I’m really looking forward to Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead!

• Psychopomp says:

Oh man, I Valve is going to completely ruin TF2 with the Medic pack. The kritz is so OP!

6. DMJ says:

Interesting. Presumably they will be erased from history by a time-travelling cyborg?

7. Alex Bakke says:

What does everyone think of the credit crunch, guys? I wonder what it’s going to be like in ’09!

8. John Walker says:

MAN!

I’m very tired. And very, very stupid.

PS. I hate all of you.

9. Mark A says:

I guess it is a wise decision, COD every year is really lame. Infinity Ward is an amazing studio, they should go independent like Bungie and make great games again.

• Bhazor says:

Not sure you could call either a good developer. Just extremely well funded.

• Kadayi says:

@Bhazor

Let’s be fair for a minute, the slow motion car crash that is MW2 is still pretty fresh in peoples heads at present, but prior to that all the titles Infinity Ward had been behind were pretty damn good. I’d say they are second only to Valve in terms of operating within the FP game space, so MW2 gripes aside I’m interested to see what they might come up with with in terms of new IP. The big question of course is will the iconic Capt Price carry over to whomever undertakes the development of MW3, given he’s featured in every IW game so far…

• Bhazor says:

I’m not saying they’re bad but really I think they peaked with COD 2. The modern warfare games stray into MGS style interactive movie territory where you’re yanked out of the game every twenty minutes for some minigame (be it the snow mobile or the air fortress gunner section). COD 2 managed to be just as exciting and cinematic without these gimmicks and I still say the Stalingrad running battle is one of the finest levels ever made.

The two Modern Warfare games, as well as the interviews I’ve read from the script writer and lead designers, shows that these guys are essentially idiots who really can’t be trusted with a free rein. They strike me as the kind of team who would make a level set in columbine thinking it would start a discussion on gun control. Whilst giving you achievements for shooting people in the next level.

10. UK_John says:

Next CoD console only – mark my words….!

11. Jeremy says:

I hope it’s something actually new, instead of just another FPS in a different time/scenario/etc. Not because I am all up in a rage against FPS’s's’s, but it would be cool to see this team try their hand at something crazy and new. It wasn’t that I didn’t enjoy the Modern Warfare in terms of playing it, because, well, it’s pretty much the same formula as in all the CoD’s, shoot, kill, INTENSE EXPLOSIONS. However, that darn story ruined everything, and that’s pretty hard to accomplish in an FPS. Farcry 2 had almost no real story to speak of, at least not a very compelling one, and it was more palatable to me than the fanciful sci-fi ruminations of MW2.

That Level is still far more acceptable to me than the previous 10 years of “well, you’ve shot all these military specialists… now what? Aliens!” Freakin aliens.

• Miles of the Machination says:

Yeah, I’d like to see them make some kind of meditative adventure game, or something along the line of The Void. Of course three quarters of the team would have died from explosion withdrawel, but it will have satisfied my bizarre fantasy.

12. jsutcliffe says:

John Walker said:

I’m very tired. And very, very stupid.

PS. I hate all of you.

John disapproves (-3)

The rumour mill is churning about IW making the CoD MMO again. I shudder to think.

13. negativedge says:

if I see one more post on this god forsaken site where you apologize for discussing Relevant Company or Game X, I’m never coming back.

• Jeremy says:

How dare you try and be elitist to the elitists! We determine who we shun, not the other way around.

• John Walker says:

I’m sorry we’ve offended you too often, negativedge, but I had hoped that it would be clear that I was mocking such an attitude with my silly “counter-cultural beret” nonsense. The real point was none of us here liked MW2 very much.

• Lilliput King says:

Game X was shit anyway.

• Psychopomp says:

Relevant Company sold out ages ago, anyway

• Bret says:

Genre I Don’t Like discourages innovation and leads to cookie cutter gameplay.

14. Anonononomous says:

“Might” and “may” are not the same word.

I’m also not sure whether or not to call BS on this. CoD is all they’ve done for Activision. But, it’s clear that Activision can hand off MW3 to anyone and it will sell extremely well. Of course, whether IW’s next game would sell well with no name recognition is unknown. I’m sure we’ve all seen the NPD (?) research about how name recognition of Modern Warfare 2 was far lower than it was for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. And then Activision promptly changed the name of MW2.

15. Vinraith says:

Jim and John said it best in the podcast, you can’t keep shovelling out a game a year (after farming the franchise out to three different development teams) and maintain quality. Activision is going to milk the series dry and, in so doing, run it straight into the ground.

• Nick says:

That already happened.

• Jeremy says:

Well, those are strong words, and I would question the truth of it. Honestly, the averageness of the game only stands out so much because the previous offerings were so strong in comparison.

• Dethgar says:

Agreed. MW is the new Guitar Hero as far as Kotick is concerned, just keep pumping out sequels and don’t do anything innovative. Feed the simple monkey it’s simple food, so it can poo gold and throw it at us.

• Vinraith says:

@Jeremy

That was future tense, not present. You can’t churn out a game a year using three different teams for too long before the quality of the product is so diluted as to be unrecognizable. We’re still near the top of the slide, the bottom is a long way down yet.

• Jeremy says:

Sorry Vin, imagine that had an @Nick in front of it :)

16. Jimbo says:

Blizzard and Infinity Ward are finally teaming up to produce World of Duty, the persistent-world Call of Duty MMO running on a single planet-sized server.

Been saying it for ages and now it’s definitely, definitely happening. No doubt about it this time, no siree.

• 12kill4 says:

you’re nearly had it… except for bit about the planet-sized server… it is ACTUALLY p2p hosted by a kid from Arizona who has a sweet 2gb ram, dual core setup in his parent’s basement (which he is allowed to use when his homework is done). But don’t worry… i hear he is thinking about getting a 8800gt for his birthday this year…

• Psychopomp says:

You just described my rig :(

• Bhazor says:

And mine too…

17. Stabby says:

Nice, so they can keep milking the Call of Duty cash cow while the good team goes on to make something else. I was hoping they would quit before they ran the series into the ground, apparently not though.

18. Scoteh says:

Frankly all the moaning about MW2, I’ve played every call of duty game, along with almost every other FPS out there, and dya know what? I loved MW2. I still love MW2. People can whine because its a cash-cow….and it is….they can whine about a lack of innovation, which to an extent….there is…. Oh its just the same, they say, oh its moneyspinning, they say…..

I don’t care, its still a fantastically enjoyable game. Visually stunning, completely immersing and the multiplayer is, as always, of legendary proportions. Sure theres not dedicated servers, but who cares, the matchmaking still works. Oh you can’t mod, I don’t care, to me the game lacks nothing and any changes made by modders would only detract from the experience.

Personally I think far too many people have just jumped on the Outrage Bus about MW2 because its been the thing to do. But really, to say that the game is not well above par is nothing short of outrageous and takes no consideration of how fantastic the game really is, instead simply focusing on what peoples absolute ideal would be. Think you could do it better? Go make your own game and stop hating on an astonishingly brilliant product.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Dear Sir or Madam,

thank you for using our service. We’ll do our best to complete your order as soon as possible. Please note that there are currently 98 553 people in front of you in this category, so you may wait up to two weeks.

Sincerely yours,

Flamewar Administration Company LTD.
      Making sure no flamebait is wasted

• autogunner says:

I didnt think anyone was blasting it, I love modern warfare 1 purely for the story, and for that reason i was disappointed with modern warfare 2, which concentrated on the wrong things in my opinion, but infinity ward were trying different things, which I respect.

IW are a great developer and I hope they keep making great games that I want to play.

also drop the whole ‘if you cant do it dont criticise it’ routine its childish bullshit

• Kadayi says:

I was a big fan of the first MW game (and the IW produced CoD games before it), but MW2 just took a nose dive because the Story was just plain daft. With the first game there was some semblance of believability to events (within an action frame), but MW2 they just threw any sense of reality out the window and in all honesty I really don’t know where they can go with the MW universe now.

• Jimbo says:

Hell hath no fury like a PC community scorned.

The backlash against MW2 isn’t about the quality of the game, or about how popular the franchise has become. It’s the siege mentality that comes from being involved with PC gaming. It’s being dumped by your beautiful girlfriend and then claiming that you didn’t need that slut anyway, to hell with her.

MW2 is by no means faultless, but did a lot of PC gamers – and from what I’ve seen, especially the PC press – go into it hoping for faults, and then blowing them out of all proportion when they found them? That’s absolutely how it looks to me.

That reaction was entirely predictable though. To be honest, there is an air of desperation about how we conduct ourselves that is becoming increasingly hard to overlook. I feel like a lot of Indie games are now widely celebrated purely *because* they’re Indie, rather than because they’re good *despite* being Indie. Why? Because Indie games are what ‘we’ have that ‘they’ don’t, so we talk them up at every opportunity.

Let’s say that MW2′s campaign had come out of a debut developer, or if Infinity Ward hadn’t so brazenly given the PC community the finger a month before release, or if MW2 were a PC exclusive… do you think there’s even the slightest chance that the reaction from the PC community toward *that* MW2 would be anything less than fawning? I don’t. And you certainly wouldn’t see anybody revelling in it’s shortcomings in the manner that they have.

• Lilliput King says:

“But really, to say that the game is not well above par is nothing short of outrageous and takes no consideration of how fantastic the game really is”

I think I love you. I once read a book wherein the author claimed that “science forgets one thing. God exists!” and found this an acceptable argument. You are our version of this man. I salute you, crazy forum fanboi guy.

@Jimbo
      I think you read too much into all this. A fair number of RPS readers own PCs and consoles, and just aren’t really all that fussed.

I think I’d have been more excited if it was by a debut developer, by the way. It would suggest potential to be actualised and a bright future, rather than past successes rehashed in a fairly agreeable way.

• abhishek says:

I agree with Jimbo. In the recent past, the PC gaming community has metamorphosed into a very unhappy bunch of people. The complain about virtually everything, they will ‘boycott’ games and generally engage in such unpleasantness that it makes you wonder whether the whole point of gaming (which is to have fun) is lost on them.
      In the case of Modern Warfare 2, I think it is a mix of some very, very sour grapes and some very poor assumptions about how the P2P gameplay is. No, it’s obviously not as good as dedicated servers would be… but it’s also not so bad so as to spark off this ugly reaction that we have witnessed over the past few months. Somehow, this point has missed all the people who are so mad at the game.

• skalpadda says:

I think you’re making a mistake if you equal the boycotting madness to the reaction towards IW and MW2 here on RPS, both from the writers and from commenters (overall). My impression from those who have played the game is more of a “meh, it’s not that good” rather than any crazy ramblings against the developers.

• abhishek says:

I was making a general observation. The reaction towards MW2 has indeed been fairly muted here at RPS, especially considering the disgraceful behavior that I’ve seen elsewhere. On the other hand, I would say that almost all L4D2 related threads/comments on RPS before it’s release would reflect what I was referring to.

• Kadayi says:

@Jimbo

Regardless of whether MW2 was a PC exclusive or not, the plot wouldn’t of been any clearer and the rationale behind the No Russian level still wouldn’t have made any sense.

• Jimbo says:

The reaction to that level is a great example of the straw-clutching response I’m talking about. The PC community needed something to hang their pre-determined negativity about MW2 on, and that level is it.

Half of the criticisms levelled at it display a fundamental misunderstanding of the story (“Why do the terrorists let you not shoot anybody?!”), and the other half are so trivial that under any other circumstances they just be overlooked.

• Kadayi says:

@Jimbo

There’s no clutching at straws here. I like shooters, but frankly I don’t have much time for MP in my life these days, so to me the single player aspect is the be all & end all of how I assess a game, and I like a game that makes some degree of sense in terms of narrative and plot. Knowing why I need to find someone, or kill some one or rescue someone is pretty important from my perspective, and unfortunately I didn’t think that MW2 matched up to MW in the narrative stakes.

• Jimbo says:

Sure, that’s fair enough; I also preferred CoD4. But theres a long way from that to actually disliking MW2 and feeling like it didn’t make sense. Which part in particular did you have trouble with?

19. Clavus says:

You know, the IW team is very talented, and they deserve better than to be milked by Activision. They should just create a new franchise and find a new publisher.

20. DrugCrazed says:

CoDMW2 is actually a bad action movie. If you think of it as that then it becomes much better to play.

On topic, IW I’m not sure CAN make an interesting game while linked to Activision like they are now. Currently, they have to make more CoD, which is getting tiresome and crap. If they have the chance to get to redeem themselves and make a good fun game, then I’ll take that back. But 2 past games being almost exactly the same? Either they have bad writers or they’re out of ideas.

• Funky Badger says:

Almost right – as were all the reviews comparing it to a Michael Bay movie – it’s a better action movie than Michael Bay is ever going to make. An absolute triumph of brainless action.

MW2 is a brilliantly put together game, none better last year (craftwise).

• Dante says:

I literally cannot think of any fainter praise than calling something ‘Better than a Micheal Bay Movie’

21. Glorious American Superman says:

I can’t wait until Call of Duty # : [Insert Sub-Header], in which I get to mow down millions of [Insert Shifty Foreigners] with my [Old Timey/Modern/Futuristic] weapons.

It’s going to be amazing when my the games story tries to be edgy and controversial but ultimately reinforces my blind national pride and my borderline bigoted opinions on not Americans.

GOTY 2010 – Rapture

• Jeremy says:

Of course, National Pride is only a crime in America and must be reinforced by bigotry.

• Nick says:

@Jeremy You can’t deny that the majority of jingoistic chest beating *games* are America VS ‘…’ though. In a similar manner that blockbuster action movies have taken for decades, for example. They are selling to an audience and a large one.

That is not to say it is unique to America however.

• Jeremy says:

@Nick

I wouldn’t disagree either, it just seemed like a cheap shot. I wouldn’t even call it national pride, it’s just guys wanting to be awesome and destroy everything in a rockin way. It says way more about male ego than US bigotry / national pride.

• Oak says:

This is probably more choosing the easiest path than it is marketing to some mythical Yankee Doodle Warmonger demographic. As Jeremy pointed out, games like this aren’t selling ’shoot guns for America’ so much as ’shoot guns’.

• RogB says:

The Brit missions are better than the US ones anyway. Fact!

• Dante says:

It’s more that you can get away with it in the US, here in Blighty we find all patriotism slightly suspect.

• Jimbo says:

It’s ironic that the single theme MW2 does have is “Blind patriotism is bad”. They aren’t even subtle about it.

How anybody could play through MW2 and still come away thinking that they relied on US flag-waving and jingoistic chest-thumping is beyond me.

22. Vivian says:

‘Could you do better’ is a shit argument scoteh, a shit argument used by the desperate. Of course we couldn’t, but thats why we PAY FOR GAMES. We still have a right to demand quality. And COD4,2 was a bit dodgy in many respects. (Most notably the Tom Clancey too-much-cheese-dream storyline, which was seriously, seriously ridiculous).

• Scoteh says:

Er, actually no, you don’t have the right to demand quality.

If you don’t like it don’t buy it, you have no entered a contractual agreement with CoD, you don’t have to buy it if it isn’t up to your exacting standards. This is what annoys me, that people think IW owe them something. They owe you diddly-squat, they make a product, people that want to buy it buy it. People that don’t want to aren’t in any way forced to. Go buy something else if you think it’s much better. They don’t have a monopoly on FPS’s, the simple, but apparently infuriating to you, fact is that they make the best FPS around. The fact that to you it falls short is completely irrelevant.

• Lilliput King says:

You’re a little bit creepy. To clear this up, when he mentions he “demands quality,” it means he won’t buy the game or respect it if it isn’t good enough for his own exacting standards. This is implied.

In any case, what kind of defence is it to say DOESN’T MATTER THAT THE GAME IS SHIT COS IW DON’T OWE U NUFFIN.

• Theblazeuk says:

Haven’t you heard? You’re only allowed to criticise something if you too can do the exact same thing, but better.

Others who haven’t heard this news include 99% of the population, including websites based upon criticism on and opinion pieces about video games. So next time your train is late, the government drops the ball on something, a sportsman misses his shot/swing/interception/tackle/save, someone raises their child the wrong way, cooks bad food, a bank or financial organisation runs the economy into the ground, a company treats its staff or customers poorly, or you don’t like a movie, book, or album, ask yourself – could you ACTUALLY create something better if you tried to do the same job starting right now?

• Glove says:

Theblazeuk: Do you mind if I save that post and intermittently quote you in other places on the web? You put that absolutely brilliantly.

• Theblazeuk says:

Hah, feel free. FAME AHOY!

23. SirKicksalot says:

Make a proper Starship Troopers game! Featuring the first movie’s fucking awesome OST!
    And bring on the power suits and the skinnies!
    Adapting Heinlein obviously wouldn’t work. Just take everything Verhoeven did good in his movie, maybe find a way to adapt some of Heinlein’s ideas on how the Infantry actually works, and that’s about it. Starship Troopers screams to be made into a GOOD game. And that type of over-the-top militarist shooting gallery seems to be exactly what IW knows how to do.

24. Vivian says:

Irrelevant to what?

25. rocketman71 says:

Whatever. CoD1 & 2 were done by a different Infinity Ward. Today, they’re just Ballmer’s bitches ([crazy crazy libel libel crazy libel libel crazy - Ed]). They’re more interested in twittering from an xbox360 than in releasing a good game / port or working with the fans they ripped off (especially the modders).

I have no interest whatsoever in buying whatever they do, be it MW3 or Twitter Warfare. Treyarch is my master now.. for now, and at least until they confirm if CoD:Vietnam will have dedis and mapping.

• TeeJay says:

Twitter Warfare?

Now there’s an idea.

Who do we get to shoot lots of?

26. Alex Bakke says:

I liked MW2 a lot, like someone said earlier before me, it’s like a bad action movie. Realism went out of the window ages ago, but if you enjoy it as, let’s see, Red Dawn with a much higher budget and a bit more plot, then it’s really fun.

27. vhati says:

i could careless what IW makes anyone. They obviously dont care about the pc community any longer, so i do it in kind.

I’ll feed my money to DICE instead, with gratitude.

• abhishek says:

I’ll be getting BC2 myself, but I can’t help shake my head a little in amusement when someone looks to DICE as the ‘saviors’ of FPS multiplayer gaming on the PC.

This is the same company that introduced the concept of paid DLC on the PC (BF2 booster packs). It is the company that delayed the release of Mirror’s Edge and BF1943 on the PC to protect their console sales. It is the company that never even release Bad Company 1 on the PC. It is the company that took almost 2 years to put out the latest patch for BF2. It is the company that couldn’t solve glaring bugs and issues with their game (Red tag bug anyone?… did it ever get fixed?). DICE is no friend of the PC gamer… all they’ve done is spin the negativity of the community reaction to MW2 to their benefit.

• poop says:

if there is one thing EA has done right its been how they have managed to become the lesser of two evils lately by making a token effort to not treat consumers like trash :)

• Nick says:

“It is the company that took almost 2 years to put out the latest patch for BF2″

To be fair that is to their credit that they even bothered, not many companies maintain patch support for that length of time and the game was far from unplayable in that timeframe in fact it was mostly fine from about 1.02 onwards, bar a few missteps (noob tubing, dolphin diving et al) that took longer than they should to be ironed out.

• abhishek says:

You’re right in a way, Nick. It was also decent to add in some of the hitherto premium content into the patch for free. However, 2 years is a long time in the life of an online multiplayer FPS. And it’s not too cynical to believe that this was caused, in part, because of the release of BF2142.

• abhishek says:

And today DICE go ahead and prove my point in a way. BC2 will not have mod tools. The game is somehow not balanced for going prone. And they will not be releasing any public dedicated server files, so you can’t run a private dedicated server for the game even if you wanted to. I wonder how the PC gaming community will react to this… will they call out EA/DICE on this, or will they be given a pass because they’re not Infinity Ward?

28. Radiant says:

mw2 was A FUN GAME.
    Seriously I wonder what other shooters you lot managed to play in 2009.
    fucking nerds.

• poop says:

call of pripyat came out in 2009 and is a better shooter than most of the COD series in pretty much every way

really though, COD games overwhelm me with how incredibly average they are in every way so it is hard to have a real opinion aside from being frustrated at how MW2 is the most sucessful media property in human history

• Psychopomp says:

You’re posting on a PC only gaming blog. Pot, meet kettle.

• Rinox says:

I didn’t play any shooters that came out this year. Just not enough quality. And while MW2 may have been good enough to play, I threw up a little in my mouth every time IW talked about the PC community, the lack of dedicated servers and the justification of their pricing hike.

So this nerd is steering his cash in other directions, to developers who create (even higher?) quality games and actually care about the PC, or at least are doing a good job pretending to As good as MW2 may be, I’ll likely never play it barring it falling into my hands for free.

I’ll be damned of IW ever sees another eurocent from me. Unless they make a 180°, but that seems rather unlikely atm.

• Funky Badger says:

poop: COD is average in every concievable way – which means you can name reams of games better, or, actually, you can’t.

• TeeJay says:

@ Radiant

Kind of depends what you mean by ‘shooters’ and do you mean *any* games played or just those released in 2009?

I am a year or so behind due to only getting a good system last Xmas and having a backlog of good stuff to play.

* 2009 “Shooters” that people here have been going on about: Red Faction Guerrilla, Batman, various Fallout 3 stuff, Mirror’s Edge, Prototype, Saint’s Row 2, Serious Sam HD, Borderlands, Arma2…

* Older stuff that I played this year: Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Crysis, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, STALKER, Bioshock

But most of all = TF2 (I’ve just worked out that I’ve racked up 390 hours in the 320 days since I installed it)

Radiant – apart from MW2, what were *you* playing in 2009?

29. Ryx says:

This title was misleading.
    I thought there was going to be NO MW3, not a different studio making it.
    Sadface.

30. Anthony says:

We should sell tickets for the moment when Activision drive this franchise off a cliff

31. armlesscorps says:

The penultimate paragraph about the impact of cod1 sums up my thoughts on that game so well. The section about the contradictions in the team makes perfect sense because for me after cod 1 it got all too samey and actiony for me. COD1 was great though, one of only less than a handful of games to bring a tear to my eye.

32. Vhati says:

so im suppose to be mad about dice releasing booster packs which added plenty of content. delivered bf2142 instead of bad company 1. Get mad about bf1943 coming out later but with more content and players than the consoles.

Dice have proven themselves the kings of Multiplayer. And have been since 1942. they still havent forgotten about the PC community. THe pc version of BC2 has alot of addition stuff compared to the consoles. We are also getting bf3 at the end of the year, supposedly 128 players.

Yes dice makes buggy games, but they make damn fun buggy games.

33. Cecil Philpot says:

All I want from Infinity Ward is PREMODERN WARFARE. Where we all just run around clubbing each other with the polished shinbone of a giant sloth. Although everybody knows that akimbo mammoth tusks are so fucking overpowered it’s not even funny!

34. Mad Doc MacRae says:

@ Mr. Walker – I have conflicted feelings on CoD2. Probably because I got good enough to play on expert and be frustrated by how gaming the respawning enemies are. So that’s my own fault. But it was pretty good, all in all. Interesting bit about the team design conflict.

On tangential discussion, is wrong to react negatively towards artists who scorn your genre, or developers who scorn their (original) platform? Isn’t it possible to sell out, even if perhaps some are too quick to denounce others for it? I personally agree with RPS’s take on the game itself, but as members of the PC gaming community can’t we be disappointed in companies that make moves that diminish our community (or at least belittle it)?

35. Vhati says:

Yes mad doc we can. IW showed they dont know what PC players want, or just dont care.

90% of the population finds specific servers where they choose to thier home, that they continually return to, meeting the same people all the time and building a COMMUNITY within the game. That was and always has been a key component to online gameplay.

Instead of Having a home in a game, where you can go and see people you know, but dont want on your already bloated friendlist. Another part is building a rivalry. Man there is nothing better than Going against your most hated opponent and defeating them.

Lets not forget that Self adminning Servers have kept out the trouble makers, hackers, and generally unpleasant folk better than any other system ever made.

I am a proud owner of the first 5 COD. My personal favorite was UO, but i cant complain about any of them other than Mw2. Its like the britney spears of Gaming. Sells lots of copies, but we all know what it really is.

36. l1ddl3monkey says:

Good thing as I think they’ve now lost their way with the COD/MW franchise; time to give it to some drones to churn out formulaic drivel for the under 18s to enthuse over and move onto something a bit more grown up for the rest of us.

It won’t happen, obviously, but it’s nice to wish.

37. Rei Onryou says:

World of Call of Duty won’t use dedicated servers! It wil just link leech off of every players machine to provide the power, providing an improved, cheat-free experience of 600ms latency. Rejoice!

38. Rinox says:

John,

I liked what you wrote about how CoD 1 & 2 paid proper tribute to the events of WW2. Especially CoD2. That moment you storm the stairs of the Reichstag spurred by the euphoria of victory and see that flag being planted on the roof, or the sniper in Stalingrad who yells “this was for my brother, this was for my girlfriend, etc.” as he’s picking off Germans…brilliant.

And the voice-over and slideshow that closed the game really shook me emotionally, which is rare for a shooter to do.

Today I crossed the Elbe and shook hands with an American soldier. Even though I couldn’t understand a word of his, I felt he was my brother. I think he felt the same.

• Funky Badger says:

To recap:

“War is hell. But killing Germans is sweet.”

Nice moral.

• Rinox says:

I don’t recall CoD 1 & 2 glorifying the killing of Germans. But the fact remains that the war had to be won, and that wasn’t going to happen by handing out daisies was it? I assume you’re not going to argue that bringing the Third Reich to its knees was unnecessary. War is hell, and I think some levels of CoD did a hell of a job showing that. I didn’t exactly go “wow this is cool, people are dying everywhere” when storming the Stalingrad port.

• jalf says:

And yet you played through it. Strange thing to do if it wasn’t presented as just a little bit fun. If it was presented as “war is hell”, wouldn’t you have just put the game down and played something else?

Few people want to pay $50 just to be put through hell.

• Rinox says:

I dunno. Why do people pay to go see films like Saving Private Ryan? Any war film really. There is no “fun” since you’re not actually doing anything, but legs are being ripped off, friends die, people on both sides get blown to shit. I don’t think games are any less valid as a storytelling medium than a book or a film, and can sometimes be superior. And the fact that war is presented as hell doesn’t necessarily mean people don’t want to see/read/play it.

• Funky Badger says:

Rinox:

“or the sniper in Stalingrad who yells “this was for my brother, this was for my girlfriend, etc.” as he’s picking off Germans…brilliant.”

CoD 1&2 might not have glorified the killing of germans, but you just did there. Which is fine, you know. Myself, I happen to like my war-porn to be more unrealistic and more cartoonish rather than more real. Its meant to be escapism, if I want to learn about war, I read a history book:

The following are excellent, btw:

• Rinox says:

I wasn’t really glorifying the act of killing, more the dramatic weight of the sniper’s motivations. If that makes sense. Thanks on the history book tips tho, I just got my tax refund so I might go amazon bananas and check one out.

39. Jochen Scheisse says:

There’s a lot of possibilities why the devs are to change – if I was positive, I’d concur with your asessment and say, Activision want to free up a blockbuster-creating team so they can develop more prime material.

However, seeing how the CEO of Activision tends to come across like an absolute prick when explaining his business model, I’d rather expect he wants Infinity Ward to realize they are replacable.

40. Dante says:

“Half the people at the team I asked would tell me it was about creating an experience that respected the horror of war, basing the linear levels on the events recounted by veterans they’d interviewed, wanting to be authentic. The other half would reply, “We want it to be like an action movie.””

That actually explains a lot about the Modern Warfare series too, clearly the former camp were in the driving seat for the first game and the latter unfortunately had final say in MW2.

• Funky Badger says:

Because massively enjoyable, massively popular, massively polished fun games are a bad thing, right?

• Dante says:

Because following up a deep and raw depiction of war with a cartoonish action movie is unquestionably a bad thing.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

As Meatloaf once said, two out of three ain’t bad.

/but maybe it isn’t good, see

• Funky Badger says:

Dante: I question that. MW1 had higher high points (AC130 and Nuke especially), but I enjoyed playing through MW2 much more.

41. Evernight says:

So now Activision is the new king of the asshole publishers? Thus, usurping EA’s throne.

• JonFitt says:

Wow, some people really are time travelling from 2008! :)

• Bhazor says:

Actually this is an important issue.
      Who are the new EA? I mean even their Sports division is making strides in becoming the best sports games rather than just the best selling.

Personally I will vote for Activision because of the brutal Rock Band whoring.

42. JonFitt says:

Well I’m not quite so down on the CoD games. I have enjoyed both MW1&2, and CoD1 back in the day. To be fair I haven’t ever played a Treyarch one, but that’s because I heard they were poor.
    Screw the fact that they are a “series”, they are largely independent works. I wouldn’t buy a Beatles album starring Billie Piper, even if it was called The White Album 2.

The SP in MW1&2 is a silly wild ride to be consumed like popcorn fodder. It’s like Tom Clancy on MTV. I managed to appreciate it for what it was. Even the dastardly No Russian level was just a moustache twirling baddy meets 24 type affair.

The MP is a different affair. I deliberately bought it on 360, because I know the MW consumes XBL like Halo2 did before it. The teamplay is low level compared to a PC shooter, but it’s played religiously by gazillions of people who perfect tactics and provide a good challenge on a largely level playing field.

Plus who can argue with unlockable guns! If I just kill 50 more people I can get a new gun! That hits that same compulsive spot with me that I imagine WoW players get.

There’s room for everything in gaming, once I’m done with it I plan to go back to Arma2.

43. MadMatty says:

cry me a river

44. Theblazeuk says:

I’ll always remember Pegasus Bridge (its a shame that a videogame taught me that, but perhaps thats exactly the point). I was very disappointed when Modern Warfare retained the CoD title, and was happy when MW2 dropped it. I was also disappointed that COD3 & 5 failed to deliver the same kind of emotional impact.

Weirdly I actually cared about getting those nameless soldiers out of the tank ambush in the first few missions of CoD.

45. Marty Dodge says:

Well considering how lame MW2 was… I hope some fresh blood will improve the franchise.