The Black Forest Episodes

By Jim Rossignol on January 7th, 2010 at 4:51 pm.

You can tell I’ve got stacks of work to be doing, because I’m busy procrastinating and leafing through various links to games that are sitting forlornly on the RPS inbox. One of these is a series of very brief (just a couple of minutes each) Flash mini-games, which have been put together with Flixel, a free Flash gaming toolkit. They’re “the adventures of a little ghost” in four episodes, called The Black Forest. You can play them 1, 2, 3, 4. They quite minimal and experimental. Number 3 is probably the most interesting.

, , .

1. robrob says:

These are pretty cute and exactly the right length.

2. Vague-rant says:

When you said interesting did you also mean annoying? They sound exactly the same, I swear! (please note I have no musical ability)

Anyways, its.. different. I like how they tried different kinds of things but some of the ideas just fell a bit flat. I mea,n whats up with level 4? Come to think of it, 2 was a little boring as well…

3. Mike says:

Level 4 was a nice concept. Went on for too long without variation, but employing NPCs to help make the game easier to play is cute.

4. robrob says:

I liked 4, it reminded me of that game a while back where you could run around opening treasure chests in a maze or walk along the horizon with someone. And the sequel where you could throw a ball until your hair set on fire and you had to jump and collect some stuff. I forget what they were called.

“please note I have no musical ability”

5. JonFitt says:

Mmmm, Black Forest…

6. Berzee says:

@robrob — I think you are thinking of Passage. I have not heard of the hair-burning sequel. o_o

I liked 2, got frustrated with 1, got tired of 3 and 4 (for the same reason — the waiting! Waiting for the silence between the notes, or waiting for the other person to catch up — I’m a busy sort of man, bustle bustle).

7. Cirdian says:

Number 4 is a Bitch

8. Calabi says:

Number 4 was easy 3 was a bitch.

9. Meat Circus says:

4 was the best because of the mini-lulz when you win.

10. Sobric says:

Yeah liked 4 and 1 the most.

2 was interesting, but not musical enough; 3 was too musical for me.

11. Duck says:

I would be more ample to try these internet things you folks at RPS muse about, but your credibility of internet things has been taken down a notch by the disgusting video ad in the top right corner of my screen, which is currently featuring scantily clad women, and, ooh, now it’s featuring those same women making love to a guy. Ancestry.com ads are fine with me, but this is disappointing.

12. Harry says:

I want that ad. Also, 3 is a bitch, aye.

13. Bret says:

Another voice in the chorus irritated with three.

Found the mechanic change midway through two interesting, one was fine for, four was fun if a bit odd, and yeah.

So, worth I go, I guess,

14. EthZee says:

[i]IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII’VE

HAAAAAD

THE TIME OF MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE[/i]

skalpadda says:

Not so sure I’d call a tiny sequencer very interesting, but they are cute games for sure :)