The Blizzard MMOFPS?

By Jim Rossignol on January 11th, 2010 at 10:31 am.

French games site NoFrag has some rumours about the next Blizzard MMO, which we know has been in development for some time. Blizzard have already said it will be quite different to World Of Warcraft, but could it be a science fiction MMOFPS with some kind of social element? That’s what NoFrag’s “secret sources” are saying. This is an interesting idea, and totally plausible. After all, people forget that WoW seemed like a risk for Blizzard when they did it originally. The MMOFPS area represents a similar risk: an area that has been dipped into, but never aced. Additionally, that social element. You could see how that might work: life in a science fiction society, where lovable robots and cute aliens can hang out and play Space Chess, but also go on shooty missions. It sounds like a pretty good bet, but the sad thing is we’re not going to hear any kind of confirmation from Blizzard for quite some time.

Roll your speculation, people.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Daversan says:

Another MMO. hurrah.
    *snore*

• Sly Boots says:

Seconded.

Also, worrying underboob in the pic…

• Sonicgoo says:

@Daversan, Sly Boots
      Do you say the same when someone releases ‘another FPS’ or ‘another RTS’ or ‘another RPG’? This, if true, is something that does exist in some ways, but is rare (most MMOs are MMORPGs) and even rarer when executed well. Stop and smell the flowers, AIM.

2. Ian says:

I can imagine the social element working much as it does in WoW in as much as it’ll just involve cities/bases/hubs where people gather in between doing other things.

Don’t really know what to think other than that. I wouldn’t be surprised if they took ideas from some of the stuff that was supposed to be going into Starcraft: Ghost.

3. Rive says:

As much as i learned to loathe the Behemoth that is called Activision Blizzard in the last years… BE TRUE OH PLEASE BE TRUE! The mere thought of a Planetside with that kind of money ist making my nerd boner lift the desk.

• Alexander Norris says:

Basically, this. As much as I think WoW is a bland and boring game, you have to admit that Blizzard know how to do polish and have a fair amount of money to throw at things. If they could just make the new PlanetSide…

• Sobric says:

^ This with biscuits on.

I know its cool to slag off WoW and all (fuck you wow kiddies! yeah!), but Blizzard are superb developers. Probably the hardest part of making a good MMO is the MMO aspect, and Blizzard are one of the best in the business at that. I’d like it to see it purely because this, alongside the potential Planetside 2, would mean some nice choices for us gamers.

Plus, I think a really good MMOFPS could be The Best Game Ever, Signalling The Second Coming of Christ And John Lennon.

4. gulag says:

Blizzard any good at shooters?

• ThePinkNinja says:

Probably not…

But they have alot of clever people which means the brains to do things right and the brains to know when and who they need to hire to make this work. Plus high standards and lots of money.

So I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Psychopomp says:

Starcraft: Ghost looked good up until the…y’know…

• Rich says:

I dunno. Looked a bit too much like WoW for my tastes. I know it’s become their style, but StarCraft fashioned out of Starburst sweets? Nah.

5. bleeters says:

World of starcraft, then?

6. Lobotomist says:

Yawn, another game for the teenage

• Psychopomp says:

How vitriolic!

• CPY says:

Anyway i find this teen BS irritating, no nude no adults stuff in wow is kinda boring but game itself is great, i hope they’ll make some 18+ MMOs soon, they know how to make game but too bad they make them for kids as well, that’s why you can’t have gabling (roll for gold) legal in it, or some nude stuff, nevertheless red belf lingerie is good enough for now.

• Rich says:

You know, there’s a real world out there with as many boobies as you could ever want. Of course getting (ahem) hold of them can be a chore, so there’s always out friend t’internet and its mountains upon mountains of lady bits for you toy ogle over.

Personally I’ve always found adult material in games to be applied in a juvenile way anyway. “Look, look, improbably big boobies and every third word of dialogue is fuck. Aren’t we grown up.”

• Froibo says:

Why would they make a +18 video game when they are able to get a much larger market opening the game to teenagers?

• Zerotime says:

Is it because CPY will buy twenty million copies of their More Tits edition? That’s the reason, right?

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

@Froibo,
      Why make a 18+ game?
      DISMEMBERMENT!

7. Graye says:

Amen to everything in these posts. Honestly, just…amen.

8. Carra says:

I doubt it. It could scare off a big part of their considerable female user base:
    -Shooter!
    -SciFi!

• Alexander Norris says:

Scare them away from what? They don’t want to create a game that competes with their other titles. They want to bring in new people, not poach users that are already paying them money on a monthly basis.

9. Vadermath says:

Bah! I never honestly cared about MMOs. I’d rather see a singleplayer FPS from them, preferably one focused on the story. We haven’t had much in the way of that since the last HL…

10. fishyjoes says:

MMO doesnt mean another WoW or even MMORPG-ish. Its more like that every game Blizzard is going to release will be playable online and a _massive_ amout of people will play it. That makes every future Blizzard game a MMO ;)

Btw: I have watched that trailer at least over ninethousand times, but I never noticed how HUGE these space-marines boobs are :O

11. negativedge says:

I wonder how possible it is that this game and the possible rumored Infinity Ward MMO are one and the same, or that there’s at least some crossover. I mean, Blizzard and IW are the two powerhouses keeping Activision afloat: IW moves towards Blizzard’s turf, and Bliz returns the favor with an FPS-ish thing? What are the odds they’re at least sharing staff and insight?

• HermitUK says:

Wouldn’t be too surpised actually. Would explain the third team Activision seem to be bringing in to make MW3, and Kotick has waxed lyrical in the past about the success of WoW’s model. Economic reasoning aside, Blizzard and IW working together on a game could be a damn exciting prospect.

12. Gap Gen says:

Whoah. Hang on. Are you suggesting that Blizzard might be creating new IP?

• Wulf says:

Doubt it, it’s probably just an Americanised version of Warhammer 40K, which is called something really rather silly instead of Warhammer 40K.

Starcraft, I know, but Starcraft is quite a bit more original than Blizzard have managed to be in recent years (recent years being the past decade), so I think if anything does show up, it’ll be less original than Starcraft and more like a direct rip-off, in the vein of World of Warcraft.

13. TooNu says:

CCP are doing it first with DUST514, get it up ye

14. Brumisator says:

I bet one of my kidneys that this is a hoax.

15. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Don’t know if want :-/

16. Rhade says:

Don’t know if want either. Not a very big fan of FPSes. But we’ll see… I do love Sci-fi after all.

17. Meat Circus says:

Nerf speculation plz devs.

18. Clovis says:

I enjoyed WoW for the month or two that I played, but got really bored with the combat. I’d love to play an FPS style MMO, but none of the ones that have come out yet have the polish of a Blizzard MMO, so I’m really hoping this is true.

19. Daniel Klein says:

Clearly it must be called Galaxy Of Starcraft Unlimited.

20. SheffieldSteel says:

even when I enter the CAPTCHA correctly, it still says I got it wrong… and deletes the text when I press Back to “try again”.

21. Zinic says:

This just seems like another rumor to me, no matter what sources they claim to have.

Can’t help but think that if Blizzard do make an MMOFPS, it’ll end up like Hellgate or Tabula Rasa. Given that Blizzard are working on StarCraft 2 at the moment, and probably have future plans for that, I doubt it’s based of that franchise. My guess would be a new franchise, or something based off a franchise owned by Activision.

22. Aganazer says:

Who cares? Whatever it is, even after an official announcement, won’t be out for 5 years anyway. It reminds me of all those Diablo 3 fans that would crap on any new action RPG saying that there is no point since Diablo 3 is coming. That pretty much stopped after Blizz announced that it was still over a year away.

23. The Hammer says:

It’s definitely a new IP.

An FPS of any kind from Blizzard, MMO or otherwise, intrigues me. I mean, they’d be going toe-to-toe with Valve, the other best developer on the PC. How much gore would the game have? What kind of action – realistic or arcade? So many questions!

24. zombiehunter says:

i’m absolutely shure this is gonna be the new game… the collaboration of CCP and Blizzard, creating the Walking in Stations and Planets integration for EvE-Online.

25. plant42 says:

Guys… it’s a Starcraft based MMO. Maybe instead of speculating you should find someone who works at Blizzard… or a friend or family member of someone who works there. With 1k people it’s not exactly an airtight ship.

p42

26. Jimbo says:

World of Duty

27. Al says:

Blizzard weren’t any good at mmo’s until they made WoW. So going by their track record I’m sure it’ll be amazing if it is an mmofps.

28. Harlequin says:

World of Duty, imo.

Makes sense if you think about it.

29. Starky says:

I love how people keep saying (usually with authority like they have some kind of special insider knowledge) that it is going to be a Starcraft MMO (or even more idiotically a Diablo MMO) when Blizzard have stated several times that it’s going to be a new IP (source: http://wow.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blizzard-new-mmo-based-on-new-ip/).

I’d wager A new IP console/multiplatform MMO at that. Given that a few years ago Blizzard had job openings for Devs with console experience to work on a new MMO – and Kaplan basically hinting in interviews this exact thing.

“We definitely aren’t adapting World of Warcraft to the console at this time,” Kaplan began. “But that’s not to say that other MMOs couldn’t [work well on consoles]. And we have a pretty savvy group of console developers–a lot of the guys we inherited from [Starcraft: Ghost developer] Swingin’ Ape really know what they’re doing on next-gen consoles. So we might have a few tricks up our sleeves in that regard.” (source: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6234307.html)

So taking guys that have experience developing a console FPS (even if it didn’t meet Blizzards high quality control standards, experience is experience), Blizzard recruiting more people with console dev experience, and Blizzard stating that they are working on a new IP

FPSMMO for the Xbox 360 and PC (and maybe the PS3 given the recent rise in popularity and sales, but I doubt it), I’d wager £100 on that.

30. MadMatty says:

sounds good to me. HS a few n00bs and such. Just keep pouring money in the game Blizz´ :D

31. kenoxite says:

1) OMG, Tabula Rasa “done right”? Is that it? Please?
    2) OMG, manboobs?

All this looks extremely exciting and disturbing at the same time.

32. Rive says:

Just as an academical question. How exactly is WoW less original then Starcraft and vice versa? I mean, despite the rabid fanboys and naysayers, Starcraft basically IS W40K with just enough shaving and etching as to be kinda another universe. That said, Blizzard always was a company that took brilliant ideas from other games, mixed them around a bit and created an extremely solid and polished product. So im very very much looking forward to a generic but polished and extremely playable Planetside. Oh god please be true…

33. Almighty Narshe says:

Sounds a lot like Dust 514. Not that I would suggest that Blizzard would copy someone else’s ideas *cough*.

34. Inanimotioon says:

PLEASE ME NEXT PLANETSIDE PLEASE BE NEXT PLANETSIDE PLEASE BE NEXT PLANETSIDE

Nothing has ever filled the hole in my heart that Planetside left.

35. rocketman71 says:

If it’s not a LAN MMO I’m not interested :P

• fishyjoes says:

But as it will be a FPS, Blizzard better make sure we have dedicated lan servers as well. We all know how you can`t sell any FPS without those anymore.

36. Swamps-I-04 says:

[i]NEOCRON[/i] is the only cyberpunk MMORPG FPS game at present that has been running since 2002, [that I know about] but its more BladeRunner than sci-fi. Along with this there is the forthcoming sci-fi MMORG Black Prophecy from Reakktor, and if it is as good as it promises then, well , it ought to be excellent.

kenoxite wrote:
    > 1) OMG, Tabula Rasa “done right”? Is that it? Please?
    I think Neocron was Tabula Rasa done right ;P

Still, should be intersting. I hope that Blizzards Sci-FI is another point and click : Wow in space.

37. chesh says:

You fools! Blizzard isn’t copying Dust 514, CCP Shanghai IS Blizzard China!
    Your first quest will be to bring back 10 slaver hound pelts.

38. Rei Onryou says:

*Joins in the chanting for a new PlanetSide*

I may not be a fan of WoW, but I’d back them up if they were doing something PlanetSide-esque. Seriously!

Also, a 2nd gaming blog PlanetSide war would be ace! We obviously won the last one. It was just Sony’s incompetence that biased the result.

39. sbe says:

Please, oh please let it be a Planetside-esque game. A Blizzard-made Planetside is a dream come true.

40. Bob McBobberson says:

I want an RPG!

41. MrCafe says:

Perhaps Starcraft: Ghost project takes on a mmo run rather then a FPS run… would work.

Comment on this story