The Sims 3 Create-A-World Tool

By Jim Rossignol on January 11th, 2010 at 3:07 pm.

The Sims 3 Create-A-World Tool, which is a tool for creating worlds in The Sims 3, is now available in beta. EA says: “Design Entire Worlds – Players can choose terrain patterns, vegetation and neighborhood accents like water towers and lighthouses, then place lots and roads to create something totally unique.” It actually looks fairly impressive, and appears to be a free download update for the game. There’s also a large PDF walkthrough which shows off some of the features and teaches you how to use the tool. The tool appears at the same as the Hi-Tech pack, which can be used to furnish the houses in your landscapes with contemporary furniture and consumer gadgets.

, .

1. TCM says:

Finally.

*cracks knuckes*

Time to attempt to create something that might be moderately interesting.

2. Heliocentric says:

All comparisons to spore will be met with the proper malice.

3. Moonracer says:

For some reason while messing with this tool (and also trying to make my own tomb with World Adventure tools) for the last two weeks I’ve had this sick fantasy of some sort of Sims 3/ Dwarf Fortress hybrid game. Perhaps in another 10 years.

4. terry says:

Er, I thought the beta of this was free but when it’s out of beta they’re flogging it. No?

Anyway, my opinion of this is EA, overall.

5. Rod Humble says:

Terry, no its free. Its something we feel our customers should have with the purchase price of the base game.

• Kadayi says:

*bows

You honour us with your presence Sims Master.

Have downloaded this, but the big assed Steam sale has put the kibosh on doing anything constructive with it so far. However I think it’s a great move.

• terry says:

@Rod (To keep KG happy)
      Thanks for the clarification, I’m downloading the editor now for a little shot.

I’m interested in seeing some pocket-towns made with this tool as there’s just too much going on in the bigger towns for my tiny brain to handle. I didn’t pick up the expansion yet because…well… the Steam sale and so on, but also a general fear of yet more variables I can’t keep track of.

6. Carra says:

So it’s an euh, level editor?

• Kadayi says:

In effect, but we’re talking about levels where in you can build entire towns from the ground up.

7. Chemix says:

so basically this is sim city 2000

• Kadayi says:

No. It’s allowing you to make your own custom neighbourhoods (towns for want of a better description) for The Sims 3, which you can then share with other Sims 3 players, but it’s not in itself a game like Sim City (no mayor duties). This here is a shot of the one you get in the game:-

Bear in mind, you’re not actually seeing all of the town there (there’s quite a lot of other areas surrounding it).

If you were crazy enough you could effectively design pretty much all of the in game buildings and make something akin to ‘The Village’ in TV series The Prisoner (the original, not the lousy remake). In fact someone with huge amounts of free time (IE not me) and great talent should bloody well do that very thing, now I think of it, as that would be FTW as some of my interweb brethren might say.

I’m not too sure how it would work with regard to populating the levels though. I’ve personally found that Sims I’ve made and then cast free don’t tend to find jobs for themselves or anything…

• RogB says:

@kadayi

damn you for suggesting that.. damn you to hell!
      oh man, i dont have the time but it would be so good..

now im torn between doing ‘the village’ or the set and surrounding areas of ‘dead set’..

8. Michael Grubbs says:

Still trying to figure how to make Avatar like water towers, I can’t just figure what hint of blue they are using.

9. Gaming PC says:

It looks rather detailed. Perhaps too detailed for the casual level designer?

10. hariboharibo says:

how do i add a description for my town??

11. Vduhr says:

I’ve been trying to find actual detailed instructions on how to use CAW, but all I can find are tutuorials that consist of tips on how to create a world, not actual details on what buttons to use to create worlds. I have gotten to the point of figuring out how to sculpt, but that’s it! I try to place roads and can place one road, but when I try to place an intersection, it doesn’t connect with the road, nor am I able to move it around to get it to snap in place. Also, I have used the terrain paint, but when I go to place a lot, I get an error message telling me to add another layer! Also, when I try to use objects, i.e. trees, bridges, etc. I click on the menu for those objects but nothing happens. Is there ANYBODY that has written, or knows where I can find actual DETAILED instructions on how to use Creat a World. I mean really, common EA, what’s the problem?

12. Red says:

I cannot figure out how to create a new layer in this program…so that has stopped me from being able to do almost everything in it….any help?

13. tottolotto says:

yup, on the right side, there is the layer menu, click your right mouse button on ‘world layer’ or some such and press ‘add new layer’

14. kayle says:

i cant get my sims 3 world tool to add to my game please can some one help, i have built a world i just cant live in it or play it ……………
    need help

15. Bhazor says:

One problem I had with Sims 3 was that the cities always felt really limited in terms of how many houses you could have. Presumably this was because of the engine which constantly ran the whole city a concept which made me genuinely terrified one of my Sims would end up being killed off screen while I was playing someone else.

Hopefully being able to build worlds from scratch will include upping the number of lots.

16. KBear says:

I think I will be able to do it, as soon as I figure out how to make a “New Layer”. I know it says to paint the land, but do I really have to? Because after I did, it said I still needed to make a “New Layer”. Does anyone know how??