Star Trek Online Open Beta Imminent

By John Walker on January 12th, 2010 at 12:56 am.

She's dead now too : (

Set cliches to cliche, something about beaming, where no sentence has gone before. Cornish pasties for heads. Red jumpers. There – that meets the government required minimum quantity of Star Trek references, and a fine is once more avoided.

The big news is: Star Trek Open Beta opens today (12th Jan) at 10am PST (2am proper time), letting all sorts of riff-raff into the universe.

This follows what is now the usual format. If you’ve pre-ordered the game you’ll have a code. Or there’s an as-yet unnamed number of “partners” who’ll be dishing them out in the next few days. Stick it in the game’s site and from tomorrow you’ll be able to create yourself a character and have a good old explore. It’s running from now until the 26th, and presuming nothing catastrophic occurs, will then open up for headstart customers on the 29th, and go completely live on the 2nd Feb. If you’ve been lucky enough to have been in the closed beta your characters will have been wiped. Which means we’ve lost Fugly. Sniff.

And now because I love you, here’s a Klingon-focused trailer for the game, with lots of asplosions:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Andrew Ian Dodge says:

So its actually not an open beta… but a paid-for beta.

2. Dante says:

I thought Open Beta meant anyone could have a go, hence ‘open’, no?

I don’t really understand what they’re doing with this one.

3. DrGonzo says:

I know this isn’t RPS fault as it’s named an ‘Open’ Beta on the site but it’s not! How can they call it an ‘Open’ Beta when it’s clearly a closed one?

4. Scotty Mundorff says:

It’s an openly paid for beta.

5. Dante says:

Only it seems to suggest that there are other methods to get in, except that they’re not given to everyone.

So it’s a closed unless you pay for it beta?

6. Dante says:

Right, it looks like it’s also open to fileplanet subscribers.

7. John Peat says:

Eurogamer gave away keys for this last week – expect more such giveaways as the OB continues (a free-for-all from Fileplanet at some point is a given too).

Frankly they need all the players they can get and as the game is heinously incomplete by most people’s estimations, the ‘release’ game will be a BETA of sorts too so…

Hey Ho

8. Batolemaeus says:

In before people proclaiming the end of Eve

mpk says:

I really wish I was interested in this, but theres absolutely nothing about it that appeals to me. I’m not talking about it as a game – I’ve kept away from reading anything about how it’ll play, but I can imagine the broad strokes – more that the universe just doesn’t interest me. Which is kind of shocking to me, given how dearly I love the original show.

I want to say more about how the unrepentantly episodic nature of the later shows ruined any sense of danger that the universe may have had but I honestly can’t be arsed. I have wine to drink instead.

10. gryffinp says:

Think I’ll be skipping this. Considering that the last time I played a beta of a Cryptic MMO, I got sucked in and brought it just in time for them to nerf it into unfun on release, I’m not motivated to put up with any fileplanet or preordering nonsense. Maybe if there were no hoops to jump through.

11. Dante says:

Right, according to the Cryptic forums, there will be beta keys given out by other ‘download partners’ that aren’t behind a paywall like file planet.

They’re just waiting for said partners to update their sites with the relevant info.

12. bansama says:

So let me see if I got this right, in order to try the beta and determine if you want to purchase the game, you’ve got to purchase the game or hope to be some lucky sod who get a key handed out at random.

Add to that that there still doesn’t appear to be any firm information about the monthly subscription costs and I’m baffled at how they really expect to get people sitting on the fence to part with their money. Seems to me that this so-called open beta is nothing but a missed opportunity.

13. Leeks! says:

WHY AM I SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!? I don’t even really like Star Trek.

14. Dave says:

Please people – “Open Beta” means that there is no Non-Disclosure Agreement. It does NOT, never has, never will, should not be thought of by anyone who knows anything, mean that anyone can get in. If you were in closed beta, you’re in; if you pre-ordered, you’re in; then there are some partners (and many others to be added in the next few weeks) from whom you can get open beta keys and get in.

Quit the “it’s not open” b.s., and wake up to how MMOs work.

15. Sub-Actuality says:

It’s always interesting to me in these situations how many people mix up the idea of a “beta” with a “demo”. Cryptic isn’t offering the game up to you for a trial period to see if you want to buy it. It’s an actual late development test, which they are closely monitoring in order to iron out as many kinks as possible before launch (theoretically).

In fact, I wonder if this confusion isn’t part of the reason beta tests like this remain largely closed or exclusive. If you go in expecting to just play the game as you would normally, without really seeking out or reporting bugs, etc., your participation isn’t of much value to the developers. Opening up a beta to anyone who cares to sign up is bound to attract a population consisting almost entirely of this kind of player. Not to mention that exposing your not-quite-finished game to the general public is a terrible way to demonstrate the quality of the final product.

• bansama says:

Well actually, these days the last few weeks of a beta period are most certainly used as an incentive to get people to purchase the game, much in the same fashion as a demo. That’s why pre-orders get access to it, that’s why they promote it on sites supposedly handing out free keys. If all they want to do is use it as an actual beta with the sole purpose of ironing out bugs, etc., then they would not be using it for promotional means. If anything, it’s the developers themselves who have blurred the lines between traditional beta testing and demos.

16. Cvnk says:

Based on the video it looks like a fairly interesting single-player experience. Unfortunately, at least for the marketers, the multiplayer aspects seem to be an afterthought. Sure, they say there’s the opportunity for faction PVP and cooperative/competitive PVE but when are MMO designers going to realize the the entire game should be built around the concept of encouraging players to compete or cooperate? Throwing in raids and missions that require a group is not the answer.

Also, I noticed this is yet another MMO publisher that has decided to charge a hefty up front cost in addition to the monthly sub. This is a terrible trend that unfortunately is here to stay since everyone gladly pays. The only way I’d pay $60 for an MMO is if that covered the first 4 months of playtime.

• Choca says:

The games actually puts you in a group automatically for some missions whether you like it or not.

I’m expecting socially challenged people will find it insulting.

• Vinraith says:

@Choca

In my experience it’s the socially challenged ones that like it when other people are forced to play with them. Socially well adjusted folks tend not to get hung up on forcing random MMO gamers to be their pretend friends.

• Choca says:

@Vinraith: You have a point but I was thinking more of people who never EVER group with anyone in MMOs and like it that way.

Not that it’s wrong to play a MMO like a solo game but I foresee great drama on the forums when those lone wolves discover they can’t be alone all the time.

• Vinraith says:

@Choca

Honestly, I don’t understand how anyone that’s ever played an online game would be happy about a mechanic that ties your ability to progress to a random group of fellow players. Then again, crap like this is one of many reasons I don’t play MMO’s. I have better things to do with my free time than herd 14-year-olds.

17. robrob says:

The animations look impressively shonky. They’ve got a very clear NWN-style stand-still-while-I-awkwardly-whack-you-ok-now-you-try-hitting-me aesthetic.

18. Legionary says:

Keys being given away atTenTonHammer, requires free registration though.

• Brian says:

I just signed up at Ten Ton Hammer, only to be told that the keys being given only to premium subscribers of their site. There was no mention of this whatsoever before they coaxed me into giving them my precious, precious username. They owe me royalties now if y’ask me.

19. TRJP says:

There’s a video on Youtube which shows some of the horror of the combat system/AI sidekicks

Scary and not entirely enticing

20. Coppertopper says:

After seeing that video I’m now kind of interested in the O.B. But I’m just excited about the nda drop. Can’t wait to read some well written reviews.

21. Windward says:

Sadly out of keys already at tentonhammer, to save anyone else signing up for nout

22. Shivoa says:

I have a Gamespy/Fileplanet account but it is not a premium/paid one. When I went to the FP STO sign-up page I was still logged in as myself and after agreeing to give Cryptic my details and confirming my name/email addy I was just a captcha away from a beta code.

I’m not sure if this is a universal thing or my account is just acting weird but the code worked and I’m now downloading the beta (also from FP, 8GB on their limited bandwidth public connections). Might be worth a shot for people who have a free account lying around.

• Azhrarn says:

Same thing here. Free GameSpy account only, but I got a code and am currently downloading, although it’ll be a long haul to get it all. (currently 14 hours, seems like the DL is getting hammered)

23. Uhura says:

You can get one of 10000 keys via

24. Uhura says:

You can get one of 10000 keys via Open Beta Key

25. Duncan says:

That links through to Massively.com, and all their keys have now gone, too.

26. Macq says:

Fileplanet keys also gone.

27. Super Bladesman says:

I’m in, and I have to confess that so far I’m not impressed. It’s got potential, certainly, but it is very lacking in polish.