Rock, Paper, Shotgunity, Part 10

By James Carey on January 13th, 2010 at 1:06 pm.

Hard to believe we’ve reached part 10 of the Shotgunity series, but it’s true. As the end of our first experiment with the free Unity game development suite rapidly approaches, the mad scrabble to generate assets threatens to be all-consuming. But I’m still managing to make time for what other people are doing with Unity. Call it gathering inspiration, or just plain plagiarism, there’s some good stuff out there. After the cut you can see some of it, and also have a doodle…

(Get the most recent build here.)

The perennial disappointment in my life has been realising other people got there first. My missus has a Philosophy Masters and before I met her I used to think I had some pretty deep ideas. Of course, as it turned out, all my cleverthinks had already been cleverthunk several thousand years before my birth (which proved a right bugger when trying to dazzle her into bed with my intellect). Having an original thought is hard. People have been thinking for a long time. For example I used to think it’d be neat to make a Wolf sim. Multiplayer elk hunting in packs had to be a giggle, right? Naturally, someone got there first. But excitingly, they got there first with Unity. WolfQuest is a full on multiplayer wolf pack simulator, detailing the life and trials of a pack of wolves in Yellowstone park. A new version offering four new kilometers of parkland is due for a release at the end of the month (annoyingly you can’t download ANY version until then…) and promises such exciting new features as “maintaining your territory with raised-leg urination… and howling”. And howling? I’m in.

Keeping with the slightly ego-centric theme of this post, I’ve just passed my driving test. During the learning process I hankered for a really good driving sim, preferably one with Track IR, working indicators and clutch support for my logitech wheel so I could actually use my mirrors, then signal, then maneuver. This new Unity-based offering from Dutch developers Sticky Studios isn’t quite the fully fledged driving sim I needed, but at least you can get busted for not signaling correctly and speeding. Rules are FUN!

OK this one from the makers of Zombieville is only for iPhone but it does feature both Ninjas and Pirates so that makes up for it. What really drags it back to being OT (apart from being made with Unity) is that like this chap I thought it would be a good idea to make some 2D bad guys for Shotgunity. Wait, hear me out. If I make 2D sprites and animate them based on simple animated tiles then RPS readers can simply paint over arm, leg, torso and head templates and voila we have a range of reader generated baddies without having to get people to go to the trouble of animating them (which is proving to be the bottleneck on the Shotgunity forums).

So, below you’ll find a template. I want you to design some baddies on it. Paint anything you like but remember our four levels are themed around the Hivemind (Jim, Alec, KG and John) and the RPS site in general so try and make baddies to suit them and it. You’ll see from the example monster that you can go outside the lines as long as you stay inside the box for each limb/component. You’ll also see that I’m no artist. Also remember that these baddies are being viewed from the front, not the side. They’ll always be rotated to face you. It’s not a perfect system, but I figured it’d be a good way to get lots of people generating lots of assets – something we desperately need at this stage of Shotgunity. So, if you’ve yet to contribute, please have a go at scribbling some monsters over the below template during your lunch hour. You’ve gotta be bored of playing in the snow by now, right?

CLICK FOR FULL SIZES!

, .

1. Mil says:

A link to the current build so people can quickly try it and see the current status would be nice.

2. Forceflow says:

I like the logo, well done!

3. Jacques says:

Oh so tempted to build giant penis baddie.

4. egg says:

That body looks like The Grinch, no?

5. rhubarb says:

I can’t pick up the rock!

Ging says:

You’re keeping the button held down?

It’s not the easiest thing, it seems a tad unforgiving in terms of where you need to look.

6. Wulf says:

WolfQuest is interesting, the development is slow, but it’s intriguing.

Hopefully, one day, it’ll be as good as the simply amazing Wolf of yore. I’d be very happy if it was, as then it would be a modern, updated version of that, in 3D, with multiplayer.

7. solipsistnation says:

Unity got a nice writeup in this month’s Game Developer Magazine. I don’t know if that’ll kick off more interest or what, but it looks like a really neat set of tools and stuff.

8. captain fitz says:

You could do ‘user-generated enemies’ in exactly the same way with texture maps on real models. Although I guess the sprites can sort of change shape, and a texture map can’t really do that.

9. Hectrol says:

Music is awesome :D

Great to see how much can be done in so little time, I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to re-make an old (unknown) classic Mac game galled Avara, and Unity is looking like an ideal candidate for the engine.

I’m completely clueless of course, trying to get to grips with modelling atm, the great thing about Avara is that it’s incredibly simple asset-wise (and gameplay-wise), being an old-school vector game, so I figure it’s a good way to learn.

• James Carey says:

That’s been the point of this series really. I’m ALSO completely clueless. I’ve been making it all up as I go along using the Unity tutorials, some help from the forums and a generous wodge of code/art/sound from RPSites. I’ve worked the whole thing out on the fly with no previous experience in scripting etc, so really there’s nothing to stop you trying that too. That’s been my aim, to show you that anyone can have a crack at Unity.

• Scandalon says:

Hectral, I know the chances of you seeing this are slim, but you’re not the only one who’s thought of remaking Avara…

10. Ed says:

*throws away his wolfy roguelike-in-progress*

11. Taillefer says:

Here is my baddie: The Noble Guardian of Meer (or John)

12. Barton says:

Wanted to mention how impressive it is that you’re able to get something like this running entirely from tutorials and forum work! I’m excited to see the types of monsters that make their way into the final.

Two things I’ve noticed which may be irrelevant. First, are you modifying the FPSWalker from the Scripts folder in Standard Assets? If so, you are probably mapping the directional buttons to constant impulses on your character’s collider. Although this is adequate for getting a moving character into game, it does allow the player to stack a forward impulse on top of a strafe impulse to create a significantly stronger diagonal impulse (as taught by Pythagoras). If you decide to overlook this aspect of the gameplay, then keep it in mind as you design your levels. For more information on this ‘exploit’, .

Secondly, and a significantly easier problem to solve; I’m guessing you’re modifying the RigidbodyGrabber for the rock holder. If I’m not mistaken, that uses a SpringJoint with infinite breakForce strength. I’ve found some parts of the level that I can put a rock in a goal, and then keep the mouse key held down as I strafe along the wall (keeping the rock in the goal), then move away from the wall and have the rock snap back to my hand after I’ve passed whatever trap the goal was meant to disarm. As most of your levels are set up, this does not undermine any of the level design as there are usually fresh rock generators immediately after all the traps, but future levels may have large skipable parts because of this exploit.

There are 2 obvious solutions for this; first (and perhaps the easiest) is to simply instantiate the SpringHinge with a constant breakForce strength. Create a OnJointBreak function for the GameObject that handles the rock logic (the rogick?) which simply marks the rock as dropped. Alternatively, you can keep this in the game and perhaps use it as a game mechanic. It’s be funny as hell, and it would give you the benefit of saying it was “as designed” which is something most developers love to say to Quality Assessment.

• Barton says:

Oh dang the XHTML is not like the forum code I’m used to and my reply has been mangled.

• Taillefer says:

If you have the diagonal speed problem, it’s actually a very simple fix:

if (moveDirection.sqrMagnitude > 1) {
      moveDirection.Normalize();
      }

It’s something I exploit all the time in games. So I was surprised that’s all it needed.

13. SamanthaHK_Unity says:

Coincidentally, WolfQuest was the first game development project I ever worked on as a contractor. Ahh, memories.

Just checked out the build. Those dudes in the skybox are surreal for sure.

Issues!
    * I think there’s a problem with the colliders in level 1 because I keep falling through the wall to the left of where you start.
    * The mouse isn’t always properly hiding. You should use Application.HideCursor and Application.LockCursor, and check them on click. I can restore the mouse pointer by command-tabbing away.
    * Right click doesn’t work unless you go fullscreen. Consider going to fullscreen on game start, or disabling the right click context menu.
    * There really needs to be an escape key action to go back to the main menu
    * Jeez, this game is balls-hard. Is it actually possible to step through the jagged slamming door without dying?

AndrewC says:

A request: is there a website with a list of the most famous/infamous/really bloody annoying ‘you can’t do that’ messages in point’n'click adventures? You know – all those incredibly unhelpful messages like ‘I don’t know what you’re trying to do’, ‘I can’t use the dildo on that’ and so on.

If there is no website, then a list from you lot.

This would be useful.

pls!

15. Schmung says:

Random note : shader type needs changing on the shotgun. doesn’t need a bump map, just whatever the diffuse + specular shader is called (can;t check at the moment)

16. kennycrown says:

you know this is a very good post i havent thought about this for quite a while and you have like sparked me to look into it further and re educate my self in the subject….thanks,hope to see more of your posts soon