Sent Packing: Dark Void Demo

By Jim Rossignol on January 14th, 2010 at 12:20 pm.

Capcom’s jetpackular action game Dark Void has a PC demo, which is odd because I thought they’d said it definitely wasn’t getting a PC demo. Anyway, it clearly is because it’s on Fileplanet at the moment as a 1gb download. I’ll keep an eye out for other mirrors, obviously… The Unreal 3-powered shooter if out on the 19th in North America and the 22nd in Europe.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MinisterofDOOM says:

Ahhh, good, a PC demo. I tried the PS3 demo of this; the flying controls are game-breakingly bad, with one of the strangest dual-stick setups I’ve ever encountered. Genuinely counterintuitive. Extra-bizarrely, the Y axis is not inverted by default, but ONLY while on foot. But as soon as you turn on the jetpack it becomes inverted.

A good old keyboard and mouse ought to solve these problems, though. Three cheers for the PC.

• Optimaximal says:

According to the PC Zone review, the flight controls use the mouse exclusively and are equally game-breakingly bad.

• Hunam says:

True fact is true. Just played the demo, the mouse controls for flying are pretty awful. You can adjust the sensitivity but it seems to ignore the bar and have two settings, really slow or really fast.

Doesn’t look that great either and the baddies aren’t fun to shoot either as they don’t have animations to respond to being shot so you don’t get that feedback. You just pop them till they explode.

2. LewieP says:

Yeah, I too tried the PS3 demo, and wasn’t too keen on the controls.

3. Crusoe says:

So… not worth a download then?

4. ZIGS says:

Can’t wait to try this so I can rant about yet another shitty console port :D

5. Azhrarn says:

Well I’ll download it tonight to give it a whirl, I have the game pre-ordered on Impulse, so I hope it’ll be decent atleast. ^_^

6. CMaster says:

I tried it on 360 at Eurogamer, and found it equally frustratingly hard to control, frustratingly inconsistent with regards to control and pretty unegnaging combat.

Can’t see myself bothering with the demo on PC.

7. XM says:

The game should look better on PC plus it’s using PhysX and we get the best of both Mouse and keyboard or gamepad.

I’m going to use the gamepad for flying M/Ks for shooting GTAIV style.

8. MrTambourineMan says:

And Kim Swift left Valve for company that made this game…

9. ZIGS says:

Any other links besides failplanet?

10. XM says:

It takes a long time to get the demo and start playing and no more links as it’s exclusive.

11. Cedge says:

The controls worked great for me on PS3, as soon as I inverted the Y-axis (at least, that’s what I recall). It’s not that hard.

12. Crush says:

I didn’t have too much of a problem with the controls on the PS3 (except fighting those saucers was tricky) though having Uncharted Nathen Drake voice actor using the exact same voice was actually distracting, he could have tried to put some small variation into his voice.

13. XM says:

Ok demo is short so I’m thinking the full game will be too. The controls work well switching between the gamepad and the keys. But you must have a gamepad for the flying as there is a lot to do. The only thing is using both, the onscreen help only shows the 360 controls as I have used it so you have to remember the keys for on foot. This is not a problem if the 360 controller is not active.

The game is fun once you work out the controls so keep at it. The graphics are better than the 360 videos. it’s a cross between the Rocketeer, Gears of War and Crimson skies.

There is a fun mini game taking over the enemy ships that I thought was cool. Now all games need this. :)

So I think is something new but maybe not so AAA more AA+ :D

14. Buemba says:

I actually really liked the flying controls (I’m using a 360 controller), it’s the on-foot commands that threw me for a loop. Clicking the left stick to run was particularly awkward.

I’ll wait for some reviews to see how long the game is and if the developers manage to make the vertical cover shooting seen in some screenshots work, but my first impressions were pretty positive.

• jsutcliffe says:

Waiiiit a minute — isn’t the stick analogue? Shouldn’t that be able to control running and walking? What madness is this?

• KilgoreTrout XL says:

Clicking the left stick to run on a 360 controller is an abomination that was (afaik) started by CoD4 and must be stopped at all costs, unless you can remap it and I’m an idiot.

• KilgoreTrout XL says:

Clicking in the left stick to run on a 360 controller is an abomination that was (afaik) started by CoD4 that must be must be tortured and then murdered (unless you can remap it and I’m an idiot.)

15. ZIGS says:

My impressions:

Seems good overall but the mouse controls in air is weird. Like, when you move it in a direction, it gains momentum so when you move it in another direction, it doesn’t respond right away. I know they’re “simulating” the jetpack “handling” but it’s annoying. Controls on land are good. In fact, this is actually a great port from what I’ve seen so far (holy shit mouse control on the menus!!). Another gripe I have though (as well as with other games) is that your bullets are slow so you have to aim ahead and guess the target’s trajectory. It’s a design decision but one that I don’t like (bullets that you can actually see? What bullshit it that?!).
    Another odd thing, I was only able to enter the options menu after I started the game. Nothing serious but odd nevertheless. That’s it for now

16. clippa says:

Wow, the flight controls are horrendous, talk about falling at the first hurdle.
    Works fine with a controller but I’m not going to use mouse and keyboard and then change to controller when I need to fly. They shouldn’t have released a demo, I was going to get this :D

17. ZIGS says:

Slightly off-topic: it baffles me why people use controllers to play PC games. 90% of PC releases nowadays are console ports, If you’re gonna use a controller, why not get a console? Sorry, just had to get this out of my chest

• Noc says:

A quick check of Amazon.com indicates that an X-Box 360 is a bit less than $300 and that a corresponding controller is about $30.

So if you’ve already got a good computer, which makes more sense to buy?

• Fatrat says:

Because regardless of the system you play on, some games ARE just better with a controller than a mouse/keyboard. You wouldn’t play GRID with the keyboard if you had a 360 PC pad. The graphics are NORMALLY (if the devs include the options) a lot better on the PC if your system can handle it too.

I don’t even get why it WOULD baffle someone that you might use a control pad for some games, i find it much better in driving, sports and some other games (like GTA 4, since you have the auto aim trigger anyway).

• Linfosoma says:

Isn’t the point of having a PC being able to have the best of both worlds?

• Azhrarn says:

The advantage is in customising your controls. Using the best option for any given situation.

Mouse control in Dark Void feels rather sluggish for the air combat, I’ll spend some time tweaking it to see if it works, but until then the X360 controller I own works just fine.
      On the ground however the controller feels clumsy and having mouse accuracy is incredibly useful, and makes ground combat much easier. I combine both control-schemes as a result and have a better experience for it.

The only thing the demo does wrong is the button indication.

The Saboteur for instance switches between the controller button indicators and keyboard indicators depending on which you are currently using to move your character. So if I’m driving around using my controller (the cars don’t feel right with keyboard) then it shows those buttons for actions but as soon as I use WSAD or the mouse it’ll start showing Keyboard/Mouse indicators instead. (and on foot, I use keyboard and mouse exclusively)

This tbh is the way to get the best out of a dual-control setup and gives you the best of both worlds whenever you feel the need for it. That, and the graphics are a LOT better on a good PC.

• XM says:

I use both well and now remember the on foot keys so I don’t need the onscreen help. It’s a shame when using the keys the onscreen help dose not change like other GFW games. Maybe fixed in a patch but not game stopping anyway.

I tuned off the vibration too so my joypad is not running away off my desk. :)

18. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Well this isn’t the kind of feedback that’s going to motivate me to fake a fileplanet account.

19. triple_a says:

This thing’s got BOMB written all over it. Too bad – I was really hoping this would be good but had a bad feeling about it so not a big disappointment in that sense.

20. XM says:

The reviews are saying 6.5 for the 360. The game is short about 10-12 hours and no multiplayer. I think the PC version should have 7.5 for better visuals, PhysX, best of both controls and higher res. Lets hope the game sites don’t cut and paste the 360 review.

21. Aemony says:

Before I could even get of the ground I had to tweak the mouse sensitivity to about 5 % of the bars lowest (the sensitivity was way to high) since he looked way to quick around and a slight spin of my mouse resultet in like four full circles.

After I had gotten of the ground I had to weak the mouse sensitivity for the air, now move it to about 10-15 % under the maximum since the sensitivity was way to low and felt like the ugly mouse control in H.A.W.X..

And the port was at least half decent. I’ve seen better, specially in terms of graphics and controls (ALT + WASD + MOUSE for doding?!).

Didn’t anyone get annoyed at the very wide fonts used in the game? Sometimes I had a hard time reading what it said on the screen, even if I had the optimal resolution for my screen.

22. Hypocee says:

Ech. That’s the aspect I was least looking forward to. Let’s play Exciting Flying Saucer Simon for a long, long time!

23. Hypocee says:

Sorry, forgot whatever incantation makes the reply system work. That was about the saucer QTEs. I’m still quite interested in the game, but right from the start I’ve been fighting off ennui every time I saw those.

24. Nox says:

My opinion: Another promising game (potentially) ruined by QTEs.

The protagonist’s voice-acting was of a higher-caliber than I’m accustomed to, though. That was a nice surprise.

Also, eye-candy was plentiful, and the flight physics and character animation fairly believable.

I’m not heartbroken yet, and I’ll wait for reviews before I cross it off my must-have list, but I’m definitely less enthusiastic after the demo.

25. Shadowcat says:

Man, RPS is completely screwed up today. All I see on this page (which I am viewing in Firefox 3.5 on my Windows XP desktop PC) is: “Notice: JavaScript for Mobile Safari is currently turned off. Turn it on in Settings › Safari to view this website.”

26. Mister Yuck says:

That’s a shame, because on the Xbox it’s good fun. Graphics and gunplay feel dated, but the flying feels just right. Right enough that I will probably scoop this out of the bargain bin when it ends up there a month after release.

27. Denis Johnston says:

Took a while to navigate the flying aspect. Enjoyed it very much. Great artwork. Great gameplay.
    Downloaded at http://www.worthplaying.com no problems

28. XM says:

I just had a major LOL moment I was shooting down from above the platform. Then floated down pass the edge and switch off the jet pack instead of giving a burst of vertical thrust. Without thinking I hit max thrust pulled up and smacked straight into the under side of the platform. Then I fell to my death unconscious.

I did laugh hard for a few seconds. :)

Comment on this story