Settling Settlers 7 Beta Sign-ups

By Jim Rossignol on January 14th, 2010 at 12:09 pm.

Ubisoft have announced that the beta test for new management-strategy sequel Settlers 7 will take place from 19th of January, but it’s limited to North America and the United Kingdom residents. You can sign up over here, but it does require a Fileplanet account. I know! All these conditions… The beta will encompass both multiplayer and single player elements of the game, which is looking rather cute.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. mechtroid says:

Pleasepleaseplease let this have to do with settlers of catan.

2. Psychopomp says:

…people still give File Planet their money?

• Wookie_Wookstar (Big D) says:

I love Settlers but refuse to pay for fileplanet, even if just to get on this Beta. Does anyone really pay for that site?

3. Taillefer says:

Settlers is an old time favourite. The games haven’t really felt the same for a long time, though. It doesn’t look like this one will either.

4. MrBRAD! says:

Always with the forgetting of the Aussies……

• Okami says:

Never mind Australia. The Settlers is the quintessential german computer game, so I guess a whole lot of long time fans of the series – who’re mainly germans – will be pissed off about this..

• MikeBiggs says:

Surelly the anno series encapsulates the german strategy game more than settlers?

• Pod says:

Settlers is about 10 years older than Anno and probably has a more manic fanbase.

That’s it they all didn’t kill themselves after Settlers4+

• TeeJay says:

Details:

Anno 1602 (1998)
      Anno 1503 (2003)
      Anno 1701 (2006)
      Anno 1404 (2009)

The Settlers (1994)
      The Settlers 2 (1996) (plus 1 add-on pack)
      The Settlers 3 (1998) (plus 2 add-on packs)
      The Settlers 4 (2001) (plus 2 add-on packs)
      The Settlers – Heritage of Kings (2005) (plus 1 add-on pack)
      The Settlers – 10th Anniversary Edition (2006)
      Settlers – Rise of an Empire (2007)

5. Mal says:

6 was a lot better than 5 in that regard, although it was getting rather like Anno (and Anno 1404 was better).

6. terry says:

Settlers 7? Whatever happened to 3, 4, 5 and 6?

7. Rob Hale says:

This version has brought paths back and if you ignore the increditerrible trailer with the people sitting around a table and watch the proper one it seems to be much closer to being a reboot of the original than an attempt at a sequel. I’m actually quite excited about this.

8. Bobsy says:

Wait, Ubisoft, based in France and Canada, are restricting the beta to the UK and USA? What on earth for?

• Heliocentric says:

Its English language so far, and some countries are real bastards if you don’t support their language but release in their territory?

9. Heliocentric says:

Settlers 1 and 2 were great, settlers 6 (rise of an empire) was pretty good.

Settlers 3, 4 and 5 never happened.

Settlers 2 anniversary is pretty much the ultimate settlers release at the moment, I’m excited for 7 and will hastily gobble up a demo or beta, but fileplanet can eat shit and die.

• SheffieldSteel says:

I agree with much of the above.

S1 and S2 are classics. I loved having the option of defending a valley with just a forester and a catapult.

I personally quite liked S3 although the combat aspect was rather arbitrary and the co-op muiltiplayer was bugged in the worst possible way (meaning that after a couple of hours in, you realise that your game is out of sync, and the game itself doesn’t spot this).

But I digress.

S4 more or less persuaded me to give S5 a miss – first BB game I deliberately avoided, guys – I even bought Battle Isle:The Andosia War after beta testing it!

Settlers 6 was nice but I recently went back to it after playing Anno1404 / Dawn of Discovery and couldn’t handle being so ZOOMED IN all the time.

I’m pretty sure that S7 is going to use the same engine as 1404, and that makes me very happy indeed.

BUT

Pay FilePlanet to beta test it? I don’t think so, sorry.

10. SirSpankalot says:

You can sign up on this page instead:

Requires registration (for free) and the site is in German, but I manage to do it without knowing any German :P

11. Nny says:

Anno is the new Settlers.

12. strangeed says:

I loved settlers 1, played it for ages. I had Co-Op too didn’t it? Awesome. Settlers 2 was as well, and is much easier to find these days. Anyone know if Settlers 1 is available anywhere?

13. Heliocentric says:

Well. Settlers 2 is on gog.com and settlers 2 anniversary is available on lots of web shops. But settlers 1? No idea.

14. Pantsmansoy says:

The trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8Fr-ewvd0) doesn’t seem to say much about how it’s different than a traditional RTS. To be honest, the trailer doesn’t say much though – other than there’ll be military units and fat monks (cute fat monks, albeit).

It does say you can choose you own path in the trailer, whatever that means though.

15. Torgen says:

I was a beta tester for Settlers 3, and loved how the little guys made their own little tracks that they eventually wore down into paths. Felt like they were much more alive. Wish I still had my Settlers III disk :(

16. mooncalf says:

Settlers 2 was so cute and simple and fun, watching your villagers truck supplies too and fro stealing time to slack off and chew bubblegum… Yeah never did feel quite the same as a more traditional RTS. Wonder what this will be like, it looks like it might have the cute-factor! :)

Comment on this story