Beyond Good & Evil 2 “Always in production”

By John Walker on January 15th, 2010 at 1:15 am.

Same old million year old screenshots for a game that probably doesn't exist.

I feel like such a mug, but here we go again. Rumours are spreading that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in production. VG247 quotes French site Gamekult as evidence for its existence. The ambiguous quote comes in a reply from Ubisoft France CEO Geoffroy Sardin to a query about I Am Alive and BG&E2, and is, when translated by Google, in full, this: “They are still in production every two…” Although the French, “Ils sont toujours en production tous les deux…”, perhaps better ends up, rearranged, “They have both always been in production.”

I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve been hurt too many times before on this one. Presumably Ubisoft are conscious of the huge amount of interest that awaits the possible sequel, and aren’t (usually) willing to confirm or deny until they’ve got something they’re confident to reveal. Rather than the bad publicity of building our hopes up yet again, only to cancel the project if it doesn’t meet standards. I dunno. It seems weird that Sardin would just come out and say that after years of denials, unless the ellipsis following the quote indicates the moment when he bulged his eyes and slapped his hands over his mouth. I’d prefer a straight answer and some proof though. Below is the astonishing concept footage from last May that previously got our stupid hopes up.

Cheers to Andrew for the tip.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jacques says:

“they are both still in production” would be more correct.

Good news in any case.

• The Great Wayne says:

I second that. No specific irony with that choice of words, but who knows.

• Choca says:

This man speaks the truth, and I would know since my boss wrote this interview.

2. Vinraith says:

Well, we can (perhaps foolishly) hope. BG&E is one of those rare games that managed to coax me through sections that left me tearing out hair and throwing controllers across the room (I hate insta-fail stealth gameplay) just by being so completely and totally fantastic in every other respect. My fingers are crossed for a new version.

3. Kadayi says:

This year with luck.

4. jsutcliffe says:

As dearly as I would like to believe it, I’ll believe it when I see it.

5. Noc says:

It’s ALWAYS been in production, John!

You just had to believe in yourself.

6. tomwaitsfornoman says:

i wish i could think of a clever propaganda joke to put here…

7. Blah says:

Both still in production is the right way to read it, Google is right on this

8. Promii says:

When the helicopter thing points its props backwards it flies forward. But when it points its props upward it hovers rather than being thrust into the ground…

Malcolm says:

Odd, but not entirely implausible if the rotor pitch was flipped halfway through.

• Richeh says:

It’s full of helium. The rotors’ downthrust was stopping it floating away.

9. Lloyd says:

As long as it doesn’t become another Ubisoft game about traversing the world in a Spidey-like fashion — although the trailer doesn’t do much to disprove that idea.

10. Frank says:

Hooray. I still think Ubisoft could Do the Right Thing.

11. Stabby says:

You cannot imagine how much I smiled when I saw the title of this article.

12. Mad Doc MacRae says:

So what you’re saying is I should play the first one.

13. ybfelix says:

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia

14. Heliosicle says:

Somebody’s up late..

15. Tei says:

Beyond Good & Evil has emotions. But today Ubisoft is a emotionless factory. Another BG&E would be like a baby grown in the body of a zombie.

16. pignoli says:

Oh please please please be true (except for what Tei said). I want more Hilys adventures…

17. Pemptus says:

The first one had an extremely simple story, but it was so charming, bright and colorful that nobody really cared. I really hope that video was just a loose piece of rejected “concept art” or whatnot. The “serious” totalitarian oppression vibe and all the brown of a middle east-ish setting just don’t seem like the cute, emotional, cartoony game we used to love.

Aaw, look at me, getting all serious about a game after looking at an old concept video. I’m spending way too much time lurking in comment threads, it would seem.

18. Joe says:

I’m desperate for a sequel too, but I’m always unsure whenever I see that footage. To me it just screams: Impossible Quicktime Event.

19. St4ud3 says:

That reminds me, that I got the first one in the Steam sale.

Good thing I wasnt there when you gave away the Star Trek keys, otherwise I wouldnt have time for anything else

20. Reverend Speed says:

Gahh, what an awful bloody boring story. Charm, yes, but so has RABIES.

No, wait, hang on–

21. Richeh says:

I didn’t realize it at the time, but that concept footage looks remarkably like Mirror’s Edge, in concept and in several of its motions. I don’t know of any relation between Dice and Ubisoft (not an expert) but they do share a publisher, and I understand EA partially own Ubisoft at least.

Is it madness to suggest that BGE2 became Mirror’s Edge?

• Gap Gen says:

BG&E with a Mirror’s Edge running system would be absolutely ace.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Richeh: Yeah, it would be.

EA have a stake in Ubisoft, but that’s as far as the connection between the two publishers goes (or at least as I understand it). DICE are wholly owned by EA now, while whichever part of Ubisoft was responsible for BG&E (Montpellier?) is part of the Ubi corporate structure so a scrapped game leaping from one to t’other strikes me as being about as likely as me being a flatulent space-pig.

Actually, that’d be pretty cool.

• Bhazor says:

My guess is that being Ubisoft it was made in the Assassin Creed engine. Which would be fabulous!

22. Ian says:

Please make Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Also: Make it brilliant.

23. Psychopomp says:

This better not just be so they can tear our hearts out again >:C

Lambchops says:

I really hope this doesn’t become the new Duke Nukem Forever. I never cared about Duke but the non ppearance of a Beyond Good and Evil sequel if one is promised would be up there with the cancellation of Outcast 2 as the only game cancellation that made me angry.

• Gotem says:

and who says boycotts don’t work? uh?
      I’m also boycotting ALL the High School Musical games, take that evil companies!

Riaktion says:

This means I now need to finish the first one, does it still work on Modern PC’s? I heard there are “issues” with it?

26. El Stevo says:

I didn’t get very far into BG&E. Bizarrely, it wouldn’t let me reverse the Y axis without also reversing the X axis, and I couldn’t stomach it.

• Tei says:

El Stevo:

Checks the internets, maybe theres a driver that invert the mouse, or something. I don’t know if is feasible. Or maybe play with a pad? (is the game playable with a pad?)

27. Wendelius says:

Agree with the above. “Ils sont toujours en production…” means “They are STILL in production…”. No ambiguity.

Wendelius

28. geldonyetich says:

Sounds to me like Beyond Good And Evil has become a bit of an office pet. Maybe they’ll touch it up enough that they feel like releasing something. Maybe they won’t. However, it allows the artists a fun diversion in any case.